Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Fugitive: Season Two, Volume One'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-10-08, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of The Fugitive: Season Two, Volume One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33543 and...

I have to add that from what I've heard on this DVD set, *ALL* of the Pete Rugolo score for the show is gone, replaced by generic music cues.

The theme tune remains on the opening and closing credits, but *ALL* incidental music for the show has been replaced.

They even altered the end credits to list a Mark Hayes, Ron Komie, and Sam Winans as score composers, modern-day composers on a '60s TV show!

This is an abomination and does NOT represent this great TV series the way it's supposed to be.

Harry
Old 06-10-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your anger -- I don't like the studios doing this, either. But as I've written in numerous other reviews, it's a matter for each consumer to decide. I know it feels good to bitch out the studios for doing this (I do the same thing), but I also know this is a business -- pure and simple. TV always was. The writers who wrote the series, the directors who fashioned the episodes, and the actors who performed, all were paid by selling soap and cigarettes in the commercials. No one likes to think of it that way, but it's true.

And it's the same with DVD releases today. If a studio decides that they can't make enough money from a release of a show, versus the money they'd lay out for a music license fee, they're going to yank the cue. No viewer likes it, but it's a fact. Or maybe it isn't even a matter of money; maybe the rights to the music are entangled in legal complications beyond the studio's control. Regardless, you have to weigh your disappointment over what's missing, over what's there. With The Fugitive, Paramount did go to some trouble restoring the video image; perhaps it was beyond their means to get the music, too. All I can say is that I'm grateful that, so far (fingers crossed), they're going to release all the seasons. I'm still waiting on the rest of the seasons of the color Dragnets, and the rest of The Mary Tyler Moore Shows, and the rest of the Adam-12s, and so on. It's all a crap shoot.

I'm disappointed, too, but I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm going to enjoy the show.
Old 06-12-08, 07:31 AM

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate that you've edited your review to add the information about the changed music. For longtime fans, the music was an important component of the series, and having it exist without it is quite disconcerting.

Hopefully, if you have any official contacts with CBS/Paramount, we can at least get an answer as to why this was done.

Thanks again.

Harry
Old 06-15-08, 11:42 AM

Wow. Five days later and I'm the only one on all of DVD Talk who's even mentioned this release (other than of course reviewer Paul Mavis) since it came out. I suppose it's possible that people either haven't purchased it, or haven't watched it.

As Mr. Mavis states in his review:

Edited TV shows are one of the hottest topics concerning DVD releases
THE FUGITIVE Season Two, Volume One represents the most heinous editing of a TV show yet on a DVD. All of the underscore - every note - has been replaced. It's a hot topic on the HTF board. It's even got a discussion going on the video side of the Steve Hoffman Forum, but here at DVD Talk: nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Is there anyone out there?

Harry
Old 06-16-08, 05:32 AM

Hello...testing 1...2...3.

Is this thing on?

Harry
Old 06-17-08, 09:48 PM
Defunct Account

Yep...we're reading you Harry. Just don't have anything to say about it. As Paul mentioned it sucks, but there's nothing we, as fans of the show, can do. Our options are:

1) buy it like it is, in which case they'll most likely continue releasing the show in edited form

2) don't buy it in protest. Then the studio will think there is no demand and stop releasing them as they have so many other TV series. (All in the Family, Malcolm in the Middle, Larry Sanders, etc. etc.)

We can stomp our feet and rattle our sabers, but when all is said and done, those are the only choices we have. To get the show with the music cuts or not get it at all.
Old 06-18-08, 12:07 AM

Fugitive Music

LOTS of people are upset
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sit...-Fugitive/9860
http://classictvhistory.wordpress.co...video-release/
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...1-reviews.html
http://cultureshark.blogspot.com/200...c-stopped.html
http://blog.macleans.ca/2008/06/17/a...-sweepstakes/4

Official statement from CBS Home Entertainment regarding the music changes in The Fugitive Season 2, Part 1:
Obviously we would have preferred to include all the original music in ‘The Fugitive’ second season DVD release, but unlike season one, there were a large number of cues, the current ownership of which was not clear. We didn’t want to disappoint fans by significantly delaying the release of the second season so we chose to replace the music. We kept the original theme song, but decided it would be better to rescore full episodes to give viewers a seamless, consistent experience throughout. Taking everything into consideration, we thought this was the best solution. We hope our track record on previous releases shows that we truly care about classic TV and its fans.
-- spokesperson from CBS Home Entertainment
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fug...-Response/9868

Last edited by clugul; 06-21-08 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fixed URLs
Old 06-18-08, 03:08 PM

I know that there are many fans upset. My curiosity is why, in an internet forum that specializes in DVDs, there isn't more outrage than just the handful who've posted in this thread?

I can find only one other thread on THE FUGITIVE (S2V1) from back in February from when this set was announced. And that's it...

Is it because no-one enters this "Reviews" forum?

Should someone start a similar thread in the main DVD Talk forum? Is that proper etiquette here? Is it just not necessary with all of the threads elsewhere?

I don't particularly care, I just find it a bit odd.

Harry
Old 06-18-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by HGN2001
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. You'll be more likely to attract many more eyeballs by posting in the main DVD Talk forum.
Old 06-18-08, 03:33 PM

The Fugitive Stumbles

as i've written more extensively on my own blog, the omission of this music is a hurtful, dreadful thing. i bow to NO MAN in my love for this series - its literally changed my life - and removing its essence is no small feature to ignore.
the fact remains that much (not all, but a considerable chunk) of its power lay in its music. edge of your seat excitement as Kimble walks out of the building with a live bomb, music building like the beat of a clock. the music swelling as Kimble tosses his jacket over his shoulder and shoulders on in his search.
i've no doubt the powers that be THOUGHT they were doing the right thing. in their official pronouncement they say part of their consideration was in not keeping the fans waiting.
this is a small matter of contention. Loyal fans of this series, who are legion, have waited patiently FOR YEARS - weathering the DVD release of Punky Brewster, Alf and a million other ridiculous shows as they hoped for this golden nugget (i myself wrote to CBS over 10 years ago, asking about plans to release the Fugitive and was told 'there are no plans to release The Fugitive at this time) ..A few more months to straighten out AT THE VERY LEAST Ruggolo's contribution would have been greatly appreciated.

But it was not to be.

I put myself on a petition asking them to reconsider, keeping me in mind to replace my 'damaged set' when the correct version was released. I cried foul, explained that I am currently not employed and that 35 bucks was a major investment, that there was no proper warning on the back - just a little note like the first season's disclaimer - certainly nothing to explain that the entire bed of music had been ripped out, replaced with synthesizer MUZAK, or that even the closing titles had been digitally altered.

I think we have a better chance of bringing Jannsen back from the dead.

However , like a few other posts here, I'd like to consider what we have. And what we HAVE is the very best written, directed and ACTED drama on television , case closed, bar none. The show is THAT good, that even major butchery can't ruin it completely. I wish CBS/Paramount continues to release this wonderful series. I love the transfer quality, I think they've done a fine job with packaging and arrangement. Its a class production with minor carping - no extra's being chief among them and now, the missing music.

Still there he is. In glorious black and white or enhanced colour. Richard Kimble. Moving through the night and into people's lives and across the landscape and fabric of America with all the nervousness of a chess player.
And it is , music or no, glorious to see him again.

Its a fine line we walk. Complain too much, jam up future releases. Complain too little, and they think it was OK to make a mess out of the best show of all time. I'm gonna continue to complain - hoping in my heart of hearts that CBS straightens out the mess they've made and makes good on this very costly but quality effort. The fans are deeply disappointed. I am too.
But I'm also gonna pop what I did pay good money for into my player, and revel in the best drama ever shown on television.

Obviously the dramatic impact has been dulled. The insipid synth music sounds hacky and hokey. But the show is THAT good, that perfect, that it almost doesn't matter.

Almost.

- Vince Iuliano
Old 06-18-08, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by HGN2001
I know that there are many fans upset. My curiosity is why, in an internet forum that specializes in DVDs, there isn't more outrage than just the handful who've posted in this thread?

I can find only one other thread on THE FUGITIVE (S2V1) from back in February from when this set was announced. And that's it...

Should someone start a similar thread in the main DVD Talk forum? Is that proper etiquette here? Is it just not necessary with all of the threads elsewhere?

I don't particularly care, I just find it a bit odd.

Harry
Don't worry Harry: you are most definitely NOT a voice in this wilderness.

As a guy who doesn't have to publicize his 'Fugitive fanatic' status to still be one--I started watching episodes on late-night ABC TV with my dad 25 years ago--I find the complete removal of the library cues from all episodes in this new 'volume' to be offensive corporate overprotection.

I first noticed something 'different' about the music in the shows starting with the second show in the set (the first one Dad watched after getting the DVDs for Father's Day), "World's End." EVERY act break had this same plodding, pointless "BUM-bum-BUMMMMM!" cue, it seemed.

While I remembered the use of Frontiere's/CBS' "library cues" in the original series to be SOMEWHAT of a recycling--i.e. the same cue might be re-used in other shows, but NEVER more than TWICE an episode--this same cue being used THREE, even FOUR times a show was the first indication to me something was amiss.

My father is retired. The original "Fugitive" show is his favorite series of all time. He loves the series like no other, going back to find original tapes of the show made from A&E and '80s re-runs after the Season 1, Volume 1 set came out.

Today when he found this news about the 'music replacement' on the series, he called it "kind of disgusting." It's not only affected the TONE of the series, but editors have gone back and cut out at least one key shot of a Season Two episode, Stephen Bowie noted in his Classic TV History blog:

Somewhat overlooked, given the magnitude of the score-replacement problem, is the fact that CBS sliced out portions of the image in the “Ballad For a Ghost” episode, in which Janis Paige plays a chanteuse who bears a haunting resemblance to Richard Kimble’s late wife.

The two songs that Paige performs on-camera have been changed on the audio track, and so all of the closeups and medium shots during her numbers were deleted (a total of about a minute of footage).

One of the missing shots is a fast-dolly into a closeup of Paige immediately after Kimble (David Janssen) sees her for the first time. The camera move emphasizes Kimble’s shock upon discovering his wife’s doppelganger; without it, the scene loses much of its power.
On the back of the packaging, in thin capital letters, there is a notice: "TRANSFERRED FROM THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVE WITH RESTORED AUDIO".

"Restored"? The music hasn't been "restored", it's been ripped right out of the show and REPLACED entirely!

Even stating in small print "Some music has been changed for this home entertainment version" really isn't that accurate. Unless you define 'some' as 90 percent.

Now as for Mr. Mavis' outrage at releasing TV shows in volumes, without extras, I share his feelings about the strategy. However, he needs to respond to direct criticism Bowie targets him with on his blog:

Now, I have some sympathy for DVD reviewers in this situation, because nobody can be an expert on every TV show or movie that’s thrown over the transom. And as we’ve seen above, the studios will do everything they can to disguise the alterations they’ve made to their product - so each DVD is a little trap for the unsuspecting DVD reviewer to step into. But I feel that the ignorance displayed by DVDTalk’s Paul Mavis in this case is inexcusable.

Two days before publishing his review of the altered Season 2 set, Mavis posted a review of the largely unchanged Season 1, Volume 2 Fugitive DVD. How could any remotely competent film historian or “Fugitive fanatic” (Mavis identifies himself as both) watch parts of these two collections back-to-back without immediately noticing the radical changes to the sound of the series’ music? After being alerted to his error, Mavis posted a defense of CBS’ decision: “I know it feels good to bitch out the studios for doing this . . . but I also know this is a business - pure and simple . . . . I’m not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I’m going to enjoy the show.” As of this writing, Mavis has yet to substantially amend his review, which still claims that the audio on the DVD set “accurately represents the original broadcast presentation.” This is not consumer reporting as I understand the concept.
The bottom line: Given especially the paucity of contributors to the series who are still alive, releasing classic series like "The Fugitive" in volumes, without extras is ultimately disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

What IS a deal breaker is when any show content, INCLUDING music, is altered or otherwise tampered with. Sadly, and criminally, that now appears to be the case with Season 2, Volume 1 of "The Fugitive."
Old 06-19-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GeorgeP

Now as for Mr. Mavis' outrage at releasing TV shows in volumes, without extras, I share his feelings about the strategy. However, he needs to respond to direct criticism Bowie targets him with on his blog:
I learned a long time ago in my writing career: I don't have to respond to anything (that's my stiff Irish neck -- and damned proud of it, too). My work is out there; it speaks for itself. I've made my feelings more than plain about this issue. If you don't like the opinion, don't read my stuff. It truly is that simple. Certainly more people have supported what I've written about vintage TV in the past than the few goons who keep sending anonymous emails to me since this Fugitive release, denigrating me personally, along with assumed generalities about my religion, my politics, and even my family. Quite frankly, I've never experienced anything like this concerted, continued campaign of harrassment -- one which I can only assume, considering the matching tone of these emails with some of the nonsense I've read on HTF, stems from the same small bunch of thugs over there that are giving that forum a black eye, but quick.

But merely stating my opinion obviously was not enough for various people who, far from actually reading what I had to say about the series and about the release, seemed to focus only on the fact that they disliked me calling myself a "Fugitive fanatic" -- which, by the way, can (and did in my case) mean I love the show, not that I'm an expert in it, as I stated in my review. My greatest "sin" wasn't in immediately recognizing that music was missing (which, by the way, HTF's own reviewer, as well as DVDBeaver and every other review I read missed, as well), it was in daring to presume, in their minds, of course, that I was on the same level with them in appreciating "their" show. When I called myself a "fanatic" for the show, that was the final straw for some of these obsessives who claim to know ever second of every shot and cue of the show. And now they'd like to see me "apologize" for recommending the release. It's a mob mentality that somehow thinks it's necessary for me to "atone" in some way for going against their wishes.

Well, go and read my other reviews, and I think you'll get a general idea of whether or not I'm going to "apologize" for still liking the show, despite the music change. The day I'm made to feel I need to "answer" to any reader who doesn't like what I write, is the day I hang up reviewing for good. As far as I'm concerned, this issue is over for me. I've made my position clear, and that's that. It isn't going to change, and I'm certainly not apologizing for it.

As for the ongoing anonymous email campaign against me, anybody else who wants to send a threatening or demeaning email to me concerning issues that have nothing to do with the review of The Fugitive, but which seem to be an entertaining way for the senders to vent their frustration concerning my recommendation -- "pertinent" issues including what kind of person I am for having a large family (here are some quotes -- "too dumb to know anything about contraception, must be one of those ignorant slobs who are ruining the planet with too many kids"), or for living in the Midwest ("no wonder your reviews are uninformed; look at your limited perspective, living there"), or for a perceived political bent ("conservatives toe the corporate line, you fucking stooge; you're covering Paramount's ass"), or for what they think I believe in ("I'll bet you're one of those hayseeds who goes to church") -- all because of a stupid review of a TV show, for Christ's sake -- by all means, have the guts to leave your name.
Old 06-19-08, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
As for the ongoing anonymous email campaign against me, anybody else who wants to send a threatening or demeaning email to me concerning issues that have nothing to do with the review of The Fugitive, but which seem to be an entertaining way for the senders to vent their frustration concerning my recommendation . . . . .
That's just wrong on so many levels and, with respect to threatening e-mails, may even be illegal. It's really disheartening to hear that one man's appraisal of this DVD release could result in so much venom being directed at him. If you honestly disagree with what he has to say, you can do so in a forum like this, but please, folks, keep it civil.

Mr. Mavis is a reviewer whom I've come to greatly appreciate over the last several years, especially as it pertains to vintage TV-on-DVD releases; in that regard, I've found him to be among the very best writers covering this area in a thoughtful and in-depth manner that few other reviewers can match, not only for the great number of reviews that he has written but, more importantly, for the quality of his reviews (if you want to read a truly great in-depth review, I suggest that you read his assessment of Shout! Factory's release of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" last year . . . . hands down the best review of a vintage TV show I've ever had the pleasure to read). For those that say "he should of known about the music changes," all I can say is "no one's perfect." Would another reviewer here at DVD Talk have noticed them? Perhaps. But if you do read the few reviews of this DVD release on the web, it appears that other reviewers have missed it as well. As Mr. Mavis has stated in his above post "If you don't like the opinion, don't read my stuff. It truly is that simple." I'd actually take that one step further, if you don't like what CBS Paramount has done with this DVD release, don't buy it!

Last edited by Bobhug; 06-19-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 02:39 PM

Just to make it perfectly clear, I respect and enjoy Mr. Mavis' TV on DVD reviews for this site immensely. I have used his reviews to determine my purchases on a regular basis. I trust them.

Before his latest post on this thread, I had no idea there had been threatening or demeaning e-mails sent to him in response to his review--yes, that's something a critic comes to expect after a few years and increased visibility, but it nevertheless is an unproductive strategy undertaken by those dissatisfied with a product he has reviewed.

It is just extremely unfortunate that SOME reviewer, whether it be Mr. Mavis, Ronald Epstein et. al. could not have alerted consumers BEFORE the mass release of "The Fugitive" that Season 1, Volume 2 had most of its music replaced.

We sure weren't getting any help from CBS and its vague, disingenous language on the packaging. I got my copy from Wal-Mart, so I have the option of returning it.

Many, many others don't have that luxury. They're out $30+, and why? Because nobody with a critical forum on this release had apparently EVER watched the shows before--at least enough to remember the music from them!

That disparity between a show's quality and its popularity is something that continues to frustrate me, and I'm sure many other "Fugitive" fans out there.
We watched the series on late-night TV LONG before the Internet, LONG before it was "cool."

We made our VHS tapes, wore them out, hung onto them LONG before even Harry Castleman and Walter Podrazik released the first critical review of television shows to the masses that confirmed what "Fugitive" fans already knew (but nobody else ever really cared about before): that "The Fugitive" was not only one of the best dramatic TV series ever; it stands the test of time as one of the highest-quality series ever produced for American television.

And yet none of the "experts," even now, had apparently watched the series enough before this release to alert us to the severe compromise the latest release had undergone.

This isn't like kinescopes of original "Honeymooners" episodes or '50s TV anthologies, where you truly are "lucky to get these shows in any form."

"The Fugitive" is NOT a take-it-or-leave-it proposition. The original shows as they were first broadcast were well-preserved and well-archived.

Ultimately, "Fugitive" fans--fans who were singing the shows praises before anyone cared, before they had a clue what we were talking about, while dozens of other lesser, more "popular" series got SPECIAL EDITION releases of their FULL seasons (chock full of extras)--deserve better than the treatment this show has received on DVD so far.

Maybe if this series were "The Brady Bunch" or "Gilligan's Island," there would be an outcry. An insistence that CBS go back and issue replacement discs.

Instead, the removal of 90 percent of the music from one of the BEST television series ever made is greeted with a collective shrug. I don't care what other people think: to me that is hypocritical, unacceptable and sets an unnecessarily dangerous precedent to consumers of all future TV-on-DVD releases.
Old 06-24-08, 11:19 AM

Returning The Fugitive Season Two, Vol. One to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

Friends, you won't be returning your copy of The Fugitive, Season Two, Volume One, to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or anywhere. ALL RETAILERS have the policy of exchange only-no refunds for opened movies, music, etc. If you try to exchange it, they will take your returned copy and then proceed to OPEN UP THE NEW COPY RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! They tell you this is permissible under federal law, store policy, etc., claiming that this procedure prevents piracy and bootlegging. I couldn't tell you how this could prevent either, but I can tell you it makes for an irate, unsatisfied customer every time!

In short, the anti-piracy and anti-bootlegging laws that our elected officials have passed into law have been designed to protect ONLY the movie and music industries and have thrown the consumer under the bus once again. These, of course, are the same elected officials whose legislative prowess have brought us the ultra high cost of living that we are all now experiencing.

Finally, I wouln't expect CBS DVD/Paramount Home Entertainment to straighten out the fiasco that they've created over the music underscores on the third Fugitive set. They will simply discontinue the series without notice as they have done so many times before.....that's how it's done, folks! So, if you've bought it, don't open it. It's the only way that you'll be able to get your money back. Caveat Emptor....Let the buyer beware!

Last edited by DonMart; 06-24-08 at 11:29 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-24-08, 05:22 PM

new Variety article re: Fugitive music

At least CBS/Paramount is still taking heat about the replacement of The Fugitive score. See
http://www.variety.com/VR1117987978.html
Old 06-24-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,786 Likes on 1,203 Posts
I think this proves that we all have wayyyy too much time on our hands ...
... now let me get back to reviewing 16 hours-worth of Prehistoric Earth, I'm overdue ...

Last edited by Kurt D; 06-24-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 09:43 PM

CBS/Paramount offers replacement DVDs for The Fugitive: Season 2, Vol. 1

IMPORTANT UPDATE regarding the music replacement on The Fugitive, Season Two, Vol. 1 --

CBS/Paramount has now restored much of The Fugitive's original music and is offering a replacement program to those who buy (or already bought) Season Two, Vol. 1. Then, for the price of a stamp, the buyers just mail in the form along with the 2 Proof-of-Purchase tabs, and within 4-6 weeks, they'll receive 4 replacement discs, plus a new paper insert. Read about it at TVShowsonDVD.com

Also, a very knowledgeable fan posting online at HomeTheaterForum.com was given a review set of the replacement discs and here's his opinion:
"... let me be clear about something. When I said in my review that a "vast amount" of the music had been restored, I was speaking in terms of a comparison to the prior Season Two, Vol. 1 set. And that would be true. Now if you want to compare the replacement discs to the standards of Season One, I would say, roughly, 75-80% of the music in the episodes I have seen has been restored, the bulk of that being Rugolo. But that is just one man's estimate. Everyone is going to have a different reaction to the set, but I am safe in saying it is a great improvement ... The shows feel like The Fugitive again, even if synthesizers ocassionally pop up. But having the show FEEL like The Fugitive is the main thing.
... No matter to what degree of detail I go, or what conclusions I draw, if you are a Fugitive fan I believe you owe it to yourself to get this new replacement set and give it a chance. Decide for yourself."

Cheers to all of us who wrote letters, sent emails, and posted online to Amazon and other websites.
Here's to the power of the pen and the Internet!!
Thanks also to CBS/Paramount for now trying to do the right thing.
Old 02-21-09, 08:19 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Fugitive: Season Two, Volume One'

But will anyone here read this thread, or understand the nature of the situation? Does anyone here even know what THE FUGITIVE is?

Last edited by HGN2001; 02-21-09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-21-09, 11:14 AM
Defunct Account

^In answer to your questions Harry (I assume the first are questions though the sentence ends in a period): Yes, yes, and yes.

Thanks for you're insightful post.
Old 02-21-09, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
^In answer to your questions Harry (I assume the first are questions though the sentence ends in a period): Yes, yes, and yes.

Thanks for you're insightful post.
...just not the vast majority, I guess.

Harry
Old 02-22-09, 08:54 PM

CBS did the right thing by restoring these discs to a semblance of their original music. Not very many companies would have done the right thing. Power to them
Old 03-04-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This doesn't really affect me (I liked the Fugitive just fine; not going to buy it on DVD; do think it, and all TV shows should have the proper score). However, there seem to be a large number of almost confrontational posts in this thread by fans of the show. I appreciate your passion, but your anger feels misdirected. Don't blame us...we didn't release it this way (or at all, for that matter)!
Old 03-04-09, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mazje
This doesn't really affect me (I liked the Fugitive just fine; not going to buy it on DVD; do think it, and all TV shows should have the proper score). However, there seem to be a large number of almost confrontational posts in this thread by fans of the show. I appreciate your passion, but your anger feels misdirected. Don't blame us...we didn't release it this way (or at all, for that matter)!
If you're referring to me as one of the confrontational ones, perhaps I'm guilty - but only of not understanding why it is that this Forum's membership never seemed to care enough about this serious issue of music underscore replacement to even have a main Forum thread discussing it.

It's as if the issue didn't exist or matter. Other than Paul Mavis' review and this thread about that, no other discussion took place at DVD Talk Forum.

If this isn't an issue worthy of discussion (and it reached lengthy proportions elsewhere on the Internet!), I don't know what is.

I admit that I don't spend much time at this Forum. My main haunt for DVD discussion is HTF, but I figured that fans here would be just as upset. Not the case, apparently.

I question whether it's an age thing. Are the members here so young as to not care about an old TV show?

I apologize if my frustration caused me to behave badly, but the frustration is genuine.

Harry
Old 03-19-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

I got my replacement DVDs last weekend and have watch 12 of the 15 episodes.

I am no expert on the musical cues of THE FUGITIVE.
So all I can say, it sounds a little better to me then the previous set of DVDs with the fake music.

And because of this I will now buy Season #2, Vol. #2.