Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2005 Rank them as you see them thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 2005 Rank them as you see them thread

Old 08-04-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movies I've seen released in 2005
Hustle & Flow
Sin City
Million Dollar Baby
Batman Begins
Star Wars Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

IMHO a great year thus far for movies
Old 08-08-05, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(SPOILER ALERT - sometimes, I may reveal a slight spoiler in my review). My Top Ten, thus far (I missed a few that others rated high, but hope to catch them). Also, I tend to reflect back on movies and sometimes finding myself remembering and savoring one for a much longer period of time than expected, which pushes it up on my list (wish the Academy voters felt the same way....think anyone today in filmschool talks about "Shakespeare in Love" or "Ray"?):

1. Oldboy - (US Release of 2005) Wow! I had heard much about this movie online and a good friend bought me the DVD for my birthday in August. What I got wasn't at all what I expected. There is action here, but it's not Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood gunning down everyone who did him wrong. Instead, we are fed 2 hours of a slow-burn psychological violence. Along the way, there are scenes of brutality issued out by our "hero", but when we begin to see what the movie is really about....man, I just didn't see it coming. I've talked to a few others who have seen it, and everyone begins to put it together at different points in the film. The ending just leaves you to think about everything you saw digest it over time. As close to a perfect film as I saw all year.

2. Hustle and Flow (SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT!)- This was my number 1, but the cliched ending keeps it from staying at the top of the list. The best American film of the year. You may have heard about the acting, but the story behind the film makes it an even more interesting experience. This is an example of true independent filmmaking. The only thing that disappointed me was the ending, which seemed too much like an attempt to please the audience rather than stay true to the movie (I thought this was more like "Rocky" - meaning that the purpose of the movie was to give characters hope and reach for a dream out of their poor reality).

3. Batman Begins - who would've thought that this movie would be.....so good. And by good, I mean a flat-out good movie. I would compare this to something like "Silence of the Lambs" instead of the great comic-book films we've seen in the past 5 years (Blade, X-Men, Spiderman). The care of Goyer and Nolan to ground the character in reality and explain the psyche behind Batman seems to be as simple as building the Wayne character instead of Batman, but the film seems too rich to describe it as something so simple. The real trick played here is that Batman and Wayne became the same character, meaning you didn't necessarily need the typical cliche "hero" scenes, where we wait for him to put on the costume for the first time and fight the bad guys. Hats off to everyone in this film. Now the bad.....did we need a love interest in this movie? Especially one as week as Racheal the DA (she looked like a friggen teenager!) played by Mrs. Cruise. Sorry, but the really gutsy thing would've been to abandon the love interest and replace her scenes with more Caine as Alfred....the true love story of this film was his care for Wayne and the respect and admiration Wayne felt towards his guardian/caretaker/parent.

4. Sin City - saw this on DVD and man, I just loved this more than I ever imagined I would. I expected as much from the Marv storyline, but Clive Owen was just waaay better than I ever thought he would be in this. Visually, this is the best Comic Book adaptation to date. It's the flip-side to how Batman Begins was done; rather than ground it in reality, the entire movie is over the top with no apologies. The violence is extreme and completely unbelieveable. Watched it multiple times on DVD and haven't been bored with it once.

5. High Tension (US Release 2005) - if not for Oldboy, this would be the most provocative film/foregin film of the year for me. SPOILER ALERT! The twist ending did leave some huge holes, and yes, it could easily be summed up as a cop-out.......but, it caused me to think back through the whole movie to the beginning and, quite frankly, made this more than a mere slasher movie. Maybe a little too M Night, but a solid film with great performances all across. The gore factor is way high, as I guess the French don't take issue with violence like the US does. See the unrated version.

6. Star Wars Episode III - another one that exceeding any expectations. I think this movie truly excelled due to how frightingly bad Ep. I & II were, and how much we wanted to love a new Star Wars movie made by Mr. Lucas. This one had everything we wanted in the first two. I have no real complaints with this movie (I've read that some people didn't buy the Anakin flip....I did). To me, it came down to the Palpatine character to sell it, and boy did he. This film had (dare I say it) solid acting and some good dialogue (the scene with Palpatine talking to Anakin in the theater was my favorite, and what I saw as the first major turning point in the film). We also were treated to some great saber duels, and finally, some duels that had meaning behind the characters. We were also treated to another bad Jackson performance ala "Deep Blue Sea". The bad on this one....that horrible "NOOOOOO" scene when Vader is told that his wife died. Everything else was good enough to merit a high ranking on my list.

7. Constantine - how and why is this so high on my list? I am honestly embarrassed by how much I enjoyed this movie. I recently bought the deluxe DVD set, watched it again with some of the extras, and it didn't change my mind. I love the universe created in this movie,and I love the Constantine character as played by Keanu. This isn't a movie that will be up for anything at year's end, except maybe some F/X, but don't be fooled - there are some good and colorful performances here. Most notably, I enjoyed Peter Stormare's Lucifer and Tilda Swinton's Gabriel, but there are more than that, and I don't want to bore you with them all. Just see it and decide for yourself.

8. Kung Fu Hustle - another movie that I enjoyed as much as "Constatine" and because it's foreign and got most critics recommendations, there's no shame in liking it If you are a fan of early Jackie Chan and the first "Matrix" film, then see this. Keep in mind, there are fights-aplenty, and the violence, while intense (I hear the blood was removed for the American release....WHY!!!!), tounge is thoroughly in cheek tthroughout.

9. Cinderella Man - out of everything on my list so far, I think this is the one we will hear about come Oscar time. Solid acting and a very good movie to boot. I can't really think of one reason not to have this movie higher. It's technically well-made....it just lacks anything that resonates with you after seeing it. You walk away feeling like you saw a great movie, and then you grab some dinner and never speak of it again. Crowe and Zellwegger are fantastic as the piss-poor couple. Giamatti was, again, just great. I predict he wins the supporting Oscar here, due to the fact that the Academy will continue their trend of awarding a performance subpar to an actors previous work due to the fact that they shat on him/her in previous years to award another actor/actress for subpar work as a makegood Oscar from an earlier year's performance.

10. Wedding Crashers/40 Year Old Virgin - comedies are very tricky for me. I didn't laugh as much in "Old School" as I should have when I first saw it, and I thought "Dodgeball" was subpar to the odd-humour of "Anchorman". "WC" has the typical Hollywood cliches, but Vaughn just rules like we haven't seen since "Swingers". See it for that reason if for no other. I think "40YOG" will hold up better over time, but I want to see them both a second time.....that I would want to watch them again merits placement on the list.

Honorable Mentions

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - OK, this is the closest thing I saw this summer to what I would call a traditional blockbuster. It had two hot stars, was on every tv show, tabloid, internet site, etc. leading up to it's release date. It also (smartly, maybe planned by the stuido?) a underdog element in that there were stories of a troubled set, and a re-shoot for the ending (never a good thing). In the end, we are treated to a romp of a good movie. Wait, maybe this should be a little higher on my list

Land of the Dead - Romero Zombies......can't say much else. It's not breaking any ground that he hasn't in the past, and it was definitely done better in the best. But here we get some fine acting (the first time he's had access to some known talent) to help him push his vision into the mainstream. I was shocked and impressed at the level or gore he got away with. I like his continuing thread with comparing "us" to "them" and how we are alike (eating our own). Good movie.

House of Flying Daggers - I thought this was superior to "Hero" (I felt betrayed that many of the fights were "faked" or "imagined") and I didn't care for the political story.....here, we really are getting something more in-line with Crouching Tiger - a marial-arts love story. See it for Doyles' photgraphy and the great action sequences. The story is good enough to keep you interested, even if you are not a romatic.

King Kong - a 3 hour plus movie that, quite frankly, when I heard about it had no interest in seeing it....that is, until the trailer came out and showed Kong charging towards a T-Rex while beating his chest. This movie passed my new test for judging movies.....how many times did I look at my watch and how long did the movie feel....this one never bored me and I would recommend it to everyone. The only fault I have is with the source itself....this movie exceeds the story and that's saying something.

Still haven't seen:
War of the Worlds
Syriana
Munich
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Junebug
You, Me and Everyone We Know
The Beat My Heart Skipped
3 Iron

Last edited by Travis Bickle; 01-04-06 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-14-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These are the movies I saw for the first time this year (in theaters.)

1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I'm a big Gene Wilder fan, but I enjoyed this much more than the original. Very funny, visually beautiful and in keeping with the spirit of the book. The musical numbers are the highlight.

2. Batman Begins - With the exception of Burton's original "Batman," I've never really enjoyed any renditions of the "Batman" story - But I found this to be a wonderful film. Several excellent performances, great directing, exciting, intelligent... Exactly what this type of movie should be.

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed this film. As a big fan of the books I certainly had qualms with some of the additions (and omissions,) but overall I thought it turned out much better than I had originally feared. It's not a masterpiece of filmmaking, but it's very entertaining.

4. Star Wars: Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith
5. Finding Neverland
6. War of the Worlds
7. March of the Penguins
8. Wedding Crashers
9. The Aviator
10. Cinderella Man

First-time DVD viewings (top ten)

1. Downfall
2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
3. I Vitelloni
4. The Triplets of Belleville
5. Run Lola, Run
6. The Iron Giant
7. The Sweet Hereafter
8. The Magnificent Ambersons
9. Gunga Din
10. A Man Escaped
Old 08-19-05, 11:35 PM
Banned

Chente - hey there, putting this here cause i don't have your email......not sure if you're into the trading game at all, but i have a few criterions coming in a deal (8 1/2, Alphaville, 39 Steps, Umberto D) that i will be trading....wondered if you had any interest in them......you have several that interest me....anyway, drop me a line if interested, thanks....i can always add cash also or buy outright

[email protected]
Old 09-07-05, 10:08 PM

**** Dear Frankie
**** I Am David
**** Crash
** 1/2 War of the Worlds
Old 11-10-05, 10:46 PM

Movies I saw theatrically in 2005:

1. Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 9/10
2. Batman Begins - 8/10
3. Hostage - 8/10
4. Wedding Crashers - 8/10
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith - 8/10
6. Hitch - 8/10
7. Fantastic Four - 7.5/10
8. Transporter 2 - 7.5/10
9. The 40-Year Old Virgins - 7/10
10. The Longest Yard - 7/10
11. Unleashed - 7/10
12. Ring Two - 7/10
13. The Legend of Zorro - 7/10
14. Land of the Dead - 6.5/10
15. The Brothers Grimm - 6/10
16. Four Brothers - 6/10
17. Sin City - 5/10
18. Elektra - 4/10
19. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo - 4/10
20. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 3/10

What can I say? I like action movies and comedies. Never saw War of the Worlds or Constantine but I'd like to.
Old 11-22-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts
**** scale

Saw

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Grudge

(none)
Christmas with the Kranks
Old 11-28-05, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
Movies I've seen released in 2005
Million Dollar Baby
Wasn't that released in 2004?
It did win several Academy Awards in the last awards show.
Old 11-29-05, 10:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ignats
Wasn't that released in 2004?
It did win several Academy Awards in the last awards show.
technically yes, Select cities saw this released at the end of December, but the rest of the country didn't get to see this until early to mid-January. The major studios do this shit all the time at the end of the year. Major film markets get to see a film before the rest of the country.

Last edited by Giles; 11-29-05 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unstuck. 2006 now stuck.
Old 01-09-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Movies I saw in 2005 (some 2003/2004 releases may be scattered within, but they received domestic theater releases in '05):

All out of ****:

Batman Begins (****)
3-Iron (****)
Kairo (Pulse) (****)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (***1/2)
Oldboy (***1/2)
Sin City (***1/2)
King Kong (***1/2)
The Descent (***1/2) (What can I say? It was effective for me)
Howl's Moving Castle (***1/2)
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (***)
Red Eye (***)
Corpse Bride (***)
Crash (***)
The Devil's Rejects (***)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (***)
Hitch (***)
Haute Tension (***)
In Good Company (***)
The Interpreter (***)
Mr & Mrs Smith (***)
Shopgirl (***)
Three... Extremes (***)
Wedding Crashers (***)
War of the Worlds (***)
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (***)
Waiting... (**1/2)
The Skeleton Key (**1/2)
Melinda and Melinda (**1/2)
Ong-Bak (**1/2)
Kingdom of Heaven (**1/2)
Kung Fu Hustle (**1/2)
The Island (**1/2)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (**1/2) (Good movie, horrible musical numbers)
The Ringer (**1/2)
Doom (**1/2)
Chicken Little (**1/2)
In Her Shoes (**1/2)
Unleashed (**)
Land of the Dead (**)
Serenity (**)
Star Wars Episode III (**)
Saw II (**)
Constantine (**)

Didn't really "hate" any movies that came out last year.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-09-06 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorted by rating (ranked within rating):

Batman Begins

*** 3/4
Crash
Brokeback Mountain
Sin City
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The 40 Year Old Virgin

*** 1/2
Serenity
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Capote
Cinderella Man
Syriana
The March of the Penguins
Walk the Line

Munich
Pride and Prejudice
Chronicles of Narnia
King Kong
Wedding Crashers
Kung-Fu Hustle
The Constant Gardner
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Rent
In Good Company
Hotel Rwanda
North Country
The Interpreter
The Upside of Anger
Hostage
Fever Pitch
Hitch
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Because of Winn-Dixie
Ong-Bak

** 3/4
Star Wars 3: RotS
Sky High
Prime
The Family Stone
A History of Violence
Fun with Dick and Jane
Stay
Must Love Dogs
Jarhead
Robots
Shopgirl
Bad Education
The Longest Yard
Unleashed

** 1/2
War of the Worlds
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Constantine
Fantastic Four
The Weather Man
Guess Who?
Kingdom of Heaven
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Miss Congeneality 2
Domino
Just Friends
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
Kicking and Screaming
Chicken Little

Flightplan
The Island
Aeon Flux
The Pacifier
A Lot Like Love
The Legend of Zorro
The Producers
The Dukes of Hazzard
Stealth
Doom
Derailed

* 3/4
Elektra
Dark Water
Bad News Bears
Elizabethtown

* 1/2
The Ring 2

Last edited by Patman; 01-09-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 06:55 AM

i'll play:
Wedding Crashers: B++ Loved the beginning and middle, the ending fell off the map for me, almost ruined it completely
War of the Worlds: B Again the ending was a bust...actually the whole thing was kind of iffy after you get past the special effects, still fun in a popcorny way
March of the Penguins: B not what i expected yet still nice, wouldve felt better if i watched it on the discovery channel rather than paying $8 to sit in a theater
Crash: B+ tried a little too hard but i still liked it, i though Matt Dillon was quite good as was the girl from Mission Impossible 2
Hitch: B- ehhhhhhh and i LOVE King of Queens
Mr and Mrs Smith: B+ it was a fun romp
Dukes of Hazzard: F+ Maybe the worst movie i've ever seen...in the top ten anyway
Star Wars: C- The Emperor HAS NO CLOTHES
Hicthhikers Guide A- Loved it and the entire cast was stellar
Old 01-10-06, 07:37 AM

Here goes mine...

A+
1)Crash
2)Good Night And Good Luck
3)Batman Begins
4)Layer Cake

A
5)Syriana
6)Sin City
7)History Of Violence
8)Kung Fu Hustle
9)40 Year Old Virgin
10)Munich
11)Constant Gardner
12)War Of The Worlds
13)The Squid And The Whale
14)King Kong
15)The Devil's Rejects
16)Walk The Line
17)Broken Flowers
18)The Island
19)Jarhead
20)Capote
21)Wallace & Grommit And The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit
22)Serenity

A-
23)Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
24)Wedding Crashers
25)Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire
26)Kingdom Of Heaven
27)Cinderella Man
28)Match Point

B+
29)The Weatherman
30)Corpse Bride
31)Star Wars: Episode III
32)George A. Romero's Land Of The Dead
33)Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
34)The Aristocrats

B
35)Constantine
36)Downfall
37)Waiting
38)Saw 2
39)Zathura
40)Lord Of War
41)Unleashed
42)Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room
43)Gunner Palace
44)Just Friends
45)Domino

B-
46)Mr. And Mrs. Smith
47)Bad News Bears
48)Stay
49)Ice Harvest
50)Hitch
51)Red Eye
52)Kicking And Screaming

C+
53)The Jacket
54)Elizabethtown
55)The Producers
56)Dukes Of Hazzard

C
57)Assault On Precinct 13
58)Four Brothers
59)In Good Company

C-
60)High Tension
61)Chicken Little
62)Brothers Grimm
63)Prime
64)Fun With Dick & Jane
65)Rumor Has It
66)Roll Bounce
67)Amityville Horror
68)Lords Of The Dogtown
69)Doom

D+
70)Memoirs Of A Geisha
71)Exorcism Of Emily Rose

D
72)Mindhunters
73)Hostage
74)Sahara
75)The Great Raid
76)Flightplan
77)First Descent
78)Family Stone
79)The Ringer
80)Dark Water

D-
81)The Longest Yard
82)Bewitched
83)Two For The Money
84)Transporter 2
85)Must Love Dogs

F
86)Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
87)Derailed
88)Guess Who
89)The Cave
90)Be Cool
91)Fantastic Four
92)Rebound
93)Cry Wolf
94)Cheaper By The Dozen 2
95)Aeon Flux
96)The Man
97)Stealth
98)Man Of The House
99)The Pacifier
100)Sound Of Thunder
101)XXX: State Of The Union
102)The Perfect Man
103)Alone In The Dark

Last edited by Scotts35; 01-10-06 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 03:38 AM

1. Sin City
2. ROTS
3. Charlie and the Chocolate factory
4. Cinderella Man
5. Serenity
6. Hustle and Flow
7. Constantine
8. Batman Begins
9. The Island
10. Mr & Mrs. Smith
Old 11-11-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Two years later, by memory

Alright, this is obviously not a super-exact list and some of my opinions may be colored by further home video viewing, but these are the movies that were first released theatrically in 2005 that I saw in the theatres.

1. Kung Fu Hustle

2. War of the Worlds
  3. Batman Begins
  4. The Interpreter
  5. King Kong

6. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  7. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  8. Crash
  9. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  10. The Island
  11. Dark Water

12. The Pacifier
  13. The Ring Two

Wow... I really didn't see many movies that year.