Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-17, 07:14 PM   #101
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Google diversity memo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Finally my investment in Bing stock has payed off
Old 08-12-17, 07:17 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Nope, we need socialized colleges so that students don't have to take loans to get into college in the first place. Christ, the last thing we need is banks deciding which majors are worth going to college for.

Perhaps we need somewhere in between what we have now, and what I suggested.
Old 08-12-17, 07:19 PM   #103
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Perhaps we need somewhere in between what we have now, and what I suggested.
Well I agree we need student debt to be relieved by declaring bankruptcy. But we need to make college truly accessible to all by socializing it going forward.
Old 08-12-17, 07:46 PM   #104
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's wrong. He tried to make a good overall point and he let his subpoints derail him. Yeah, that can happen and it sucks (I've been there) but the subpoints especially about biology are insulting and just plain incorrect.
Old 08-12-17, 08:52 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
And according to the new right, the fight has just begun. In an email to BuzzFeed News, Chuck Johnson — a former freelance journalist who has reportedly worked with the Trump transition team and now owns the right-wing crowdfunding site WeSearchr, alleges that he's working with supporters to surveil and undermine Silicon Valley "until either the companies change or go under."

Soon after, Johnson told BuzzFeed News he persuaded Damore to bypass traditional media — he reportedly had offers to speak to multiple cable and TV networks — and give his first interview to pro-Trump YouTube star Stefan Molyneux.

"I no longer believe in PR that starts with the lying media first," Johnson told BuzzFeed News of the interview decision. "James is obviously brilliant and should be allowed to elaborate on his views on camera."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarz...2Rm#.euOjVZQVy

What do conservatives mean by "free speech"? Is it...say stupid things and nothing happens?
Old 08-12-17, 08:57 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this really sounds like it was intended to be a thoughtful discussion about equality and gender roles.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 11:39 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well I agree we need student debt to be relieved by declaring bankruptcy. But we need to make college truly accessible to all by socializing it going forward.

I think there are a lot of people who would be better off becoming carpenters, plumbers, electricians, welders, and construction workers, than going to college. These jobs usually pay a lot more than working at Starbucks, which is what some college graduates end up doing.

I think this whole dumbing down of college's academic standards started with the Vietnam War. A lot of people went to college to avoid getting drafted, not because they were truly qualified to go to college. So new, dumbed down majors were created for these students, and that's why so many college graduates today end up working at Starbucks.

Last edited by grundle; 08-12-17 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 11:54 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you think it...
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-13-17, 12:05 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who would be better off becoming carpenters, plumbers, electricians, welders, and construction workers, than going to college. These jobs usually pay a lot more than working at Starbucks, which is what some college graduates end up doing.

I think this whole dumbing down of college's academic standards started with the Vietnam War. A lot of people went to college to avoid getting drafted, not because they were truly qualified to go to college. So new, dumbed down majors were created for these students, and that's why so many college graduates today end up working at Starbucks.
I can agree with that. Before "recruiters" came to my high school, I never through twice about going to college. And I didn't.

Above your idea, I think "access" should be easily available. I think it's empowering for people to be allowed to do it if they want. Maybe it won't help them, they'll drop out and be a barista for the rest of their life. But if you want to do it, money should not be a barrier for entry. If you can't go, it's oppressive and makes people feel small.

I also think the world is a crapshoot. The research that finds a cure for cancer might be started by some guy who wouldn't have otherwise pursued a career in medicine. Life is chaos. You never know what's going to happen. I believe in throwing as much out there as possible, and seeing what happens.
Old 08-13-17, 04:39 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting New York Times op-ed from 2015 offering analysis on why college tuition costs have rise so much. The author challenges the idea that the main culprit is cutting state funding but lays most of the blame on factors such as 60% increase in growth of administration (vs. classroom instructors).

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...s-so-much.html
Old 08-13-17, 06:18 AM   #111
DVD Talk Special Edition

And these Drs seem to agree that the memo has some merit

http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/goog...tists-respond/
Old 08-13-17, 08:31 AM   #112
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
And these Drs seem to agree that the memo has some merit
Already mentioned and discussed at some length earlier in this thread.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-13-17, 08:46 AM   #113
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Already mentioned and discussed at some length earlier in this thread.
Missed it. Muh bad.
Old 08-13-17, 08:48 AM   #114
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I think this guy is simply in the wrong field.
He's in the wrong century.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 08-13-17, 10:37 AM   #115
Time Lord

Quote:

The problem is that college used to be about gaining and spreading knowledge in a variety of fields, not just the ones deemed best to make money. The problem is putting a capitalist profit motive on college, not a "dumbing down", where you define dumbing down as providing majors in things where people may not make a ton of money for majoring in the subject.
Old 08-13-17, 11:33 AM   #116
Cool New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Interesting New York Times op-ed from 2015 offering analysis on why college tuition costs have rise so much. The author challenges the idea that the main culprit is cutting state funding but lays most of the blame on factors such as 60% increase in growth of administration (vs. classroom instructors).

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...s-so-much.html
FiveThirtyEight says cuts in state funding dwarf administrative bloat as the reason for tuition increases.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-skyrocketing/
Old 08-13-17, 11:34 AM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The problem is that college used to be about gaining and spreading knowledge in a variety of fields, not just the ones deemed best to make money.
Yeah, that was true back in the 19th century. 99% of kids go to college these days to get a good job.

It's silly and wasteful that, to get a CPA license, I had to take courses in Physics, European History and Raquetball. Like most of my classmates, I promptly forgot everything I learned the second I turned in my final exam. (And I sucked at racquetball )

Give the kids what they paid for. By college age, they've determined their career goal.

If I want to learn about chemistry, I've got the internet.
Old 08-13-17, 11:40 AM   #118
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
99% of kids go to college these days to get a good job.
I wonder how many embark on a career tied to their major. It sometimes feels like I'm the only person I know who did. Even then, I feel as if almost everything I learned in college that I used in my day job was stuff I picked up myself rather than in a classroom setting.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-13-17, 11:43 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah, that was true back in the 19th century. 99% of kids go to college these days to get a good job.

It's silly and wasteful that, to get a CPA license, I had to take courses in Physics, European History and Raquetball. Like most of my classmates, I promptly forgot everything I learned the second I turned in my final exam. (And I sucked at racquetball )
Yeah, learning history has no practical use. Knowing about Nazi Germany, the Red Scare, and American colonialism doesn't make people less likely to support fascism that preys upon lack of historical perspective. It's a total waste.

Blog | Twitter
Old 08-13-17, 12:37 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Give the kids what they paid for. By college age, they've determined their career goal.

If I want to learn about chemistry, I've got the internet.
God forbid we want our kids to become well-rounded people with a broad base of knowledge and critical thinking skills.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 08-13-17, 12:47 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
God forbid we want our kids to become well-rounded people with a broad base of knowledge and critical thinking skills.
I didn't need college for that. I guess I'm just special. Actually, I'm down with that logic. I've always been a weirdo.

Or maybe I just had you guys.
Old 08-13-17, 12:48 PM   #122
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The bolded part was always what was stressed in my family but even back then it wasn't why most went to college.
Old 08-13-17, 01:21 PM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't twelve years of public schooling be sufficient to help prepare our "kids" to become well-rounded citizens? Once they legally become adults...which includes most university-age people...can't they extend their cultural knowledge on their own?

Or are those "kids" who go straight into the work force (or military) after high school or who enter apprentice programs or two-year associate degree programs not considered to be "well-rounded" citizens?

That seems to be an elitist attitude.
Old 08-13-17, 01:27 PM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

I've been amusing myself this morning on facebook, reading posts from people demanding that the Oakland Raider Marshawn Lynch be fired for taking a seat during the national anthem at yesterday's first preseason game, and then going back a few days in their timelines and seeing them freak out about google memo guy getting fired for exorcising his freedom of speech.

I guess the First Amendment is a conservative white privelege now.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-13-17, 01:41 PM   #125
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 1st Amendment to conservatives mean, "I can say stupid garbage, and not suffer the consequences for it." The 1st Amendment is protection from Congress, not private businesses. If anyone here said a derogatory or racial slur with ill intent, it'd be right for the moderators to ban or suspend that user.