Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-31-17, 09:23 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

USPS Violated Hatch Act Due To Favoring Clinton Campaign Supporters

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/politi...act/index.html

Quote:
Washington (CNN)A government investigation concluded that the United States Postal Service "improperly coordinated" with a postal workers union that supported Hillary Clinton's campaign.

The investigation, as documented in a report from the Office of Special Counsel, said the USPS granted employees union leave time off, at the request of the union, to do political activity -- which OSC concluded was a "systematic violation" of a law regarding the political activity of federal employees.

The report said the practice was longstanding, perhaps ranging as far back as the 1990s.

The report came in response to a request from Wisconsin Republican Sen. Ron Johnson, who chairs a Senate committee that held a hearing Wednesday on the matter and asked representatives of government watchdogs why it went on so long. William Siemer, the acting deputy inspector general of the USPS's inspector general's office, indicated it was a case of institutional inertia.

"It seemed that it was adopted just as a practice where nobody was really looking at it through the lens of is this appropriate or not," Siemer said.

A message left with the Clinton campaign Wednesday afternoon was not immediately returned.

:

In his statement at Wednesday's hearing, Johnson said the total scope of the 2016 effort seemed relatively small at a total of 97 employees getting time off, but the senator warned of "unquantified consequences" from operational concerns to unfairness for employees who weren't in the union or wanted to support different candidates from their union.
I guess now we're calling collusion..."improperly coordinating". In any case, this is unfortunately a known system of behavior within a certain party...but people were/are afraid to do anything about it or just shrug it off.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-31-17, 09:27 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: USPS Violated Hatch Act Due To Favoring Clinton Campaign Supporters

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
Old 07-31-17, 09:28 PM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So ..... it's been going on for 27 years now, and no one really said anything about it, or even thought about whether it was proper or not, but since Hillary is now tangentially involved, it's a "big deal"?
Old 08-01-17, 07:13 AM   #4
Admin-Self Banned

Let me know when the USPS is trying to infiltrate the US voting system.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-01-17, 07:55 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
They surely do deliver an abundance of political junk mail every election season (which is more and more becoming a year-round thing).

I think the "franking" privilege should be revoked. Let incumbents use email or pay for their own mailings.
Old 08-01-17, 07:57 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
So ..... it's been going on for 27 years now, and no one really said anything about it, or even thought about whether it was proper or not, but since Hillary is now tangentially involved, it's a "big deal"?
Better late than never!

The focus should be on the amazing 27-year cover-up of the allegedly-illegal activity. That's some astute politicking!
Old 08-01-17, 07:58 AM   #7
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I think the "franking" privilege should be revoked. Let incumbents use email or pay for their own mailings.
Old 08-01-17, 09:18 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Old 08-01-17, 10:21 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
That's not exactly the response most of the public has when decades-old scandals are uncovered, regardless of whether the statute of limitations has run out.

I'm sure that you can readily think of current court cases that fit that description that are considered "big deals" by the public...including the DVDTalk public, if thread responses are evidence.
Old 08-01-17, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
That's not exactly the response most of the public has when decades-old scandals are uncovered, regardless of whether the statute of limitations has run out.
It is now a "scandal" that last year less than a 100 federal, union employees were granted time off for the wrong reasons? Are you attempting to make this seem much bigger than it is to compensate for something else? I'm as anti government corruption as anyone, but this seems like an incredibly minor violation. The union has the right to support a candidate and paid the workers from their own fund. There was seemingly no taxpayer money spent here, just certain workers being used that shouldn't have been. Can you explain why you think it is so significant?
Old 08-01-17, 12:56 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I'm sure that you can readily think of current court cases that fit that description that are considered "big deals" by the public...including the DVDTalk public, if thread responses are evidence.

Old 08-01-17, 01:00 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Allowing Democrats to take time off, rewarding them for doing so, encouraging it in the workplace for decades...but not other political parties...and you don't see how the voting system could be compromised?

Shirley, you're just being facetious.

If the USPS was doing this just for Republicans, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

Old 08-01-17, 01:02 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
#BlameCNN

Oh, and Russia has been involved with political parties for decades...and now you're making a big deal out of it because...Trump?

Old 08-01-17, 01:19 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Slow day in the Mooch thread? We miss you over there, Polizei.
Old 08-01-17, 01:35 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Slow day in the Mooch thread? We miss you over there, Polizei.
How bout in memory of The Mooch you go suck your own cock!
Old 08-01-17, 01:43 PM   #16
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
It is now a "scandal" that last year less than a 100 federal, union employees were granted time off for the wrong reasons? Are you attempting to make this seem much bigger than it is to compensate for something else? I'm as anti government corruption as anyone, but this seems like an incredibly minor violation. The union has the right to support a candidate and paid the workers from their own fund. There was seemingly no taxpayer money spent here, just certain workers being used that shouldn't have been. Can you explain why you think it is so significant?
I'm anxious to hear a response to this question.
Old 08-01-17, 02:11 PM   #17
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-01-17, 02:52 PM   #18
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
...but her E-mails?
Old 08-01-17, 03:13 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
It wasn't even the wrong reasons. USPS employees are allowed to take time off to campaign, just like anyone else. The problem is that USPS leadership, in an effort to improve relations with the union, told the post offices to grant leave requests for people who wanted to campaign even if the local branch managers felt that the time off would affect service. That directive was communicated without reference to "campaigning for Hillary" (or "campaigning for Trump," for that matter), though obviously the union supported Hillary. Clearly a problem, but let's not make it bigger than it actually is.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 08-01-17, 11:30 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Sure thing.

Contrary to what JasonX implied, no one said that is was "so significant." Or called it a "scandal." Looking back, it was unclear that the reference was to well-known scandals that were only discovered after going on for a long while.

The response was to the implication that this is totally insignificant and should just be ignored since it is "too small" or "old news." The view expressed implied that, since it had been going on for 27 years, why bother with it. The response is that it shouldn't be ignored or dismissed simply because it had gone unnoticed for a long time.

Don't make more out of the response than what was stated.
Old 08-02-17, 05:21 AM   #21
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Sure thing.

Contrary to what JasonX implied, no one said that is was "so significant." Or called it a "scandal." Looking back, it was unclear that the reference was to well-known scandals that were only discovered after going on for a long while.

The response was to the implication that this is totally insignificant and should just be ignored since it is "too small" or "old news." The view expressed implied that, since it had been going on for 27 years, why bother with it. The response is that it shouldn't be ignored or dismissed simply because it had gone unnoticed for a long time.

Don't make more out of the response than what was stated.
Fair enough. I agree it was a problem, and it needed to be rectified. It simply isn't a big deal.
Old 08-02-17, 06:03 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Fair enough. I agree it was a problem, and it needed to be rectified. It simply isn't a big deal.
I agree with both your points.

And I'll reiterate that my original wording was unclear, and I can see that the word "scandals" could easily be interpreted as referring to this deal due to my omission of an important qualifying adjective. I'll accept the blame for that lack of clarity.