Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-17, 09:34 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,965
National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

A new survey released by J.D. Power shows anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season.



From ESPN

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 09:36 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 35,759
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Cool thread, bro.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 09:39 PM   #3
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,777
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

People are stupid. What's your point?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 09:53 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 37,835
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

IN AMERICA WE DON’T WORSHIP GOVERNMENT—WE WORSHIP GOD!

Or so I've heard
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:08 PM   #5
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 52,539
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

People were so upset by a person kneeling during the national anthem that they stopped watching football? That's fucking awesome.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:24 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 15,237
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

IF the survey was disproportionately done in cities where the protests were high profile, I could believe that result. Of course, I would also believe the people lied to the pollsters.

For what it's worth, I find the kneeling less disrespectful than the whooping and hollaring many players do before the National Anthem is complete.
__________________
dvdjunkie32 forgets how Otterville works: I only asked for some simple advice, not 7 pages of mockery.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:26 PM   #7
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 19,120
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
People were so upset by a person kneeling during the national anthem that they stopped watching football? That's fucking awesome.
Well, 3.12% of that group says so, anyway.

Only 12% of those polled said they watched fewer NFL games. 26% of that group supposedly reduced/altogether stopped watching football as a result, and 26% of 12% is 3.12%.
__________________
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:26 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Lt Ripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,197
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

"and the home of the brave." Sound more like pussies to me.
__________________
Christian sinners, stealing the emotional well-being of LGBTs with their ancient Linus blanket.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:30 PM   #9
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,472
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:30 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 18,573
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Football?
__________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:42 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,386
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Racists don't like it when black people express political opinions, story at eleven.
__________________
"If you read my last number of tweets, only one opinion can be formed - that our President, and therefore "leader," is grossly incompetent!"
-Donald Trump

Blog | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:53 PM   #12
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 4,522
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

http://deadspin.com/how-to-mangle-a-...ell-1797307721
__________________
There are three types of lies: Lies; Damned Lies; & Statistics
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 11:06 PM   #13
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,354
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

I figured people stopped watching because so many players are dying of CTE. BUT instead it's something ridiculous like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 11:27 PM   #14
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,965
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
They should really just stick to sports
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 12:38 AM   #15
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,007
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Do children still have to stand and sing to the anthem in elementary school in their classrooms? If I knew anything about the law was when I child, my fat ass would have stay sited.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 01:02 AM   #16
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 1,452
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Rovell is murdering his credibility with that clickbait headline.

26% of those who watched fewer games said so because of the anthem...............however the survey also said only 12% were watching fewer games. 26% of 12% means in actuality it caused a 3% hitjob on ratings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 01:16 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 36,020
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Rovell is murdering his credibility with that clickbait headline.

26% of those who watched fewer games said so because of the anthem...............however the survey also said only 12% were watching fewer games. 26% of 12% means in actuality it caused a 3% hitjob on ratings.
Hey, that is 3% of 9200 responders or 276 people who cared about Kap's protest enough to watch some degree of less football. Totally worthy of an entire new thread and lots of think-piece articles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 04:49 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,237
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

I figured it was because somebody retired.

__________________
"With all due respect, the forum is unusable and people are abandoning it, largely due to creekdipper's posts and people's reactions to them."

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-28-17 at 04:55 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 06:38 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 8,773
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Besides football, I also stopped watching porn as there was too much kneeling.
__________________
Feast Your Eyes, Glut Your Soul on My Accursed Ugliness!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 06:40 AM   #20
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,965
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out


Creek







<<<<<<<<
Please note where I live.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 07:20 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,481
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Racists don't like it when black people express political opinions, story at eleven.
And there is your answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 07:39 AM   #22
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,965
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 08:25 AM   #23
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 4,522
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Post bullshit memes and you silence the opposition without having to factually back up your ignorant statements.
__________________
There are three types of lies: Lies; Damned Lies; & Statistics
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 08:41 AM   #24
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,965
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

Nefarious, I will try to do better - can I use this as an example?

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 08:42 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,331
Re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out

I wonder how many of those same folks were outraged at what happened to Philando Castile?
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0