Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-30-17, 09:51 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

The latest NRA recruitment video is unsettling to many

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-gun-owners/

Quote:
The NRA recruitment video that is even upsetting gun owners
By Peter Holley June 29 at 9:09 PM

“They use their media to assassinate real news,” the woman’s voice says scornfully. “They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler. They use their movie stars and singers and comedy shows and award shows to repeat their narrative over and over again.”

It may sound like an excerpt from North Korean state television railing against the evil Americans and their corrupt democracy on the far side of the Pacific.

But these are the opening lines of a new recruitment video by the National Rifle Association of America that is headlined by conservative television host Dana Loesch. The Blaze personality and NRA spokeswoman doesn’t hold back, painting a stark picture of the U.S. political climate that some have interpreted as an ad designed to provoke fear, if not incite violence.

The video is just over one minute long, but it has generated more than 3.3 million views, thousands of comments and shares, and lots of controversy...
See link for tweet screencaps and more response.

WaPo histrionics aside, this video is fairly damn creepy taken in context with the political discourse of recent months. Is it an actual call for violence? No, but it is certainly something that could be described as in the same ballpark, a call to be prepared for violence.
Old 06-30-17, 10:23 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The latest NRA recruitment video is unsettling to many

Fists in the air? Like Rage Against the Machine? These guys, the NRA? Snowflakes to the highest degree.

/facepalm

Old 06-30-17, 10:49 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

fucking psychos
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 06-30-17, 11:14 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is just a publicity play by Dana (dunno her last name, and don't care to look it up). She has a show on The Blaze where she schills for the Repubs.
Old 06-30-17, 11:39 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this. I thought it was a parody at first.

Did the NRA remove it from their Youtube account?

I think we're reaching a point where it's so absurd that people from both sides of the issues will turn towards the center. Same goes for every stupid thing Trump says and does.
Old 06-30-17, 12:01 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously what happened to that woman to make her that fucked up?
Old 06-30-17, 12:05 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

I'd imagine she got paid. I'd consider selling out if the price was right.

But what happened to the NRA? This is a new low.
Old 06-30-17, 12:16 PM   #8

As many people have already commented, this is the functional equivalent of an ISIS training video. At what point will the NRA be declared a terrorist organization?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-30-17, 12:30 PM   #9
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even for the NRA this is beyond the pale. I speculated in the other thread about what could lead to something this ...unhinged, yet clear in it's intent.

Spoiler:
Russian money was laundered into the GOP via Caymen Island accounts that then went to big GOP donors so that they could disperse it to various GOP PACS. These large donors are going to be caught up in the same RICO conspiracy that is going to take down Ryan, McConnell and a slew of Repub Representative and Senators.

I'm guessing, based on the extreme tone of this vid (they are pretty much calling out for insurrection from their supporters when the time comes), and the way they really only want to be the 2nd amendment protectors for conservative white people, that The NRA was one of these corrupt donors.

The other reason/explanation maybe much more likely, but probably equally implausible to most people, is that they(the NRA) know that the President and their preferred political party are going down, and will toxic for at least a generation. They won't have congressional cover for very much longer so some forms of gun control, possibly some very extreme forms, are definitely down the road.
Old 06-30-17, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Even for the NRA this is beyond the pale. I speculated in the other thread about what could lead to something this ...unhinged, yet clear in it's intent.
Then maybe you could keep all the crazy conspiracy theories in the crazy conspiracy theory thread, rather than infecting every other thread in the forum with that nonsense?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-30-17, 01:07 PM   #11

Doesn't seem like you noticed, but all the REAL crazy is in the first post, and it was put out by the NRA.

But I made sure to spoiler the speculation, so people could more easily blow past it.
Old 06-30-17, 01:18 PM   #12

That video, following the Philando Castille case last week, is blatantly like :

Guns! Everyone needs guns to stop the liberal media conspiracy! Except black people, because they'll riot and stuff with them, fuck them. The police will kill them soon enough.
Old 06-30-17, 01:37 PM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they can't use "They're coming to take your guns!!" to raise money anymore. I guess this is the next best thing.
Old 06-30-17, 01:50 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

I love how they use phrases like "our country".

I'm a liberal. Is this not my country too?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-30-17, 01:57 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I love how they use phrases like "our country".

I'm a liberal. Is this not my country too?
You're finally catching on tree hugging, bleeding heart pinko
Old 06-30-17, 02:10 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The timing on this is a little weird. The NRA appears to have first published this video on Youtube all the way back on 4/7 under a different title. I guess no one noticed it then. They re-published it today and obviously it got noticed. Although some of the articles were published yesterday and link to the 4/7 video. It almost seems like they re-published it under a cleaner title in response to the MSM backlash.
Old 06-30-17, 02:16 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

"MGTOW FTW" has the top comment on Youtube. Glad the good guys are standing behind the NRA.

That whole video is too easy to mock. So I'll just say ... okie dokie.
Old 06-30-17, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
The timing on this is a little weird. The NRA appears to have first published this video on Youtube all the way back on 4/7 under a different title. I guess no one noticed it then. They re-published it today and obviously it got noticed. Although some of the articles were published yesterday and link to the 4/7 video. It almost seems like they re-published it under a cleaner title in response to the MSM backlash.
Y'know, I read that yesterday- that it had been first put up in April- and then promptly forgot that fact.

Being reminded of that, I do acknowledge that half of that spec posted earlier would be much less likely.
Old 06-30-17, 02:51 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen many things that were far more "unsettling". But that is a weird video. I don't like how it builds and builds and then sort of doesn't come to a point. It's definitely coming from the same paranoid, fearful place that Paul SD is coming from.

That's what I don't like right now. The right and the left are so worked up and wild.
Old 06-30-17, 02:58 PM   #20
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

Guns! Everyone needs guns to stop the liberal media conspiracy! Except black people, because they'll riot and stuff with them, fuck them. The police will kill them soon enough.
That's what I was thinking too, especially when she said, "and the police are forced to do their jobs!"

I thought the NRA didn't want to speak on specific cases, whether it be about the ATF and Waco, or Philando Castile. But this is pretty much implying that the NRA believes that all the recent criticisms of police is all bullshit.

Quote:
They use their schools to teach that their president is Hitler
Loesch defends billboard comparing Obama to Hitler and Lenin
Old 06-30-17, 05:02 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've seen many things that were far more "unsettling". But that is a weird video. I don't like how it builds and builds and then sort of doesn't come to a point. It's definitely coming from the same paranoid, fearful place that Paul SD is coming from.

That's what I don't like right now. The right and the left are so worked up and wild.
This.

And Dana is a fucking nutjob. Never really liked her, she was way too much in the face of others with her beliefs.

She is also on the SuperBeets commercials. Yep, that overpriced sugar powder crap.

I don't know why Republican-sided orgs have to create ads like this (especially the NRA---they should know better). Like you said, it just makes things worse, and spreads more paranoia.

But one thing I do know. Both sides of the political aisles are making shitloads of money and laughing all the way to the bank. While this country is falling apart at its core.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-30-17, 05:04 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
That's what I was thinking too, especially when she said, "and the police are forced to do their jobs!"

I thought the NRA didn't want to speak on specific cases, whether it be about the ATF and Waco, or Philando Castile. But this is pretty much implying that the NRA believes that all the recent criticisms of police is all bullshit.

Loesch defends billboard comparing Obama to Hitler and Lenin
Interesting as Trump has been likened to Hitler and other Russian figures.

Amazing how both political parties don't notice their rather predictable historical name associations of the past.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-30-17, 05:40 PM   #23
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, crazy video. But Dana can definitely get the "D".
Old 06-30-17, 10:21 PM   #24
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anarchy!

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 06-30-17, 10:22 PM   #25
DVD Talk Gold Edition

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea