Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-21-17, 02:59 PM   #76

re: The Official Trump/Russia Wacky? Conspiracy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That's your opinion. And I told my opinion.

Depends on the voter turnout which reflects that percentage as well. He won this round, but he's been losing overall support gains he has previously had.

McCain nearly lost in 2014, and has been losing support by his base.

McCain was at 59% in 2010, by the way.

https://ballotpedia.org/John_McCain

I stand by what I said. McCain is losing ground in Arizona. Just because he won in 2016, does not mean he has such a solid guarantee of winning in 2018.

If Democrats continue the same tactics, like accusing people of being racist, being "liars", this may in fact increase Conservative turnout, not just in Arizona.
McCain wasn't up for reelection in 2014 and won't have to run again until 2022. He's a Senator, not a Congressman.
Old 06-21-17, 03:08 PM   #77
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
McCain wasn't up for reelection in 2014 and won't have to run again until 2022. He's a Senator, not a Congressman.
That's just your opinion man.
Old 06-21-17, 03:31 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

I honestly don't believe that Russia hacked the DNC or the election to get Trump elected, but rather to weaken who they thought would be elected and that was Clinton - just like most of us, they had no idea Trump was gonna be president. If they did, they would've tried to weaken him instead.

For Russia, they don't give a fuck about Trump and/or if they have something on him or if he'll help them out - they just want to weaken our democracy and whoever we elect. They just thought it was gonna be Clinton, but they muddied the waters enough anyways.
Old 06-21-17, 03:41 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

McCain will be 81 this August. To get reelected in 2022, he'll have to (1) be alive, (2) want to run, and (3) convince a majority of voters that he's still fit to serve. My guess is all of those things won't happen.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-21-17, 03:49 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

If a big bird took a shit on your car, you'd blame Trump for it.
Is my car a Russian prostitute?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-21-17, 04:19 PM   #81
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

gop turnout confounds pollsters in georgia election
the surge of republican voters even surprised the only public pollster to predict karen handel as the winner.

Quote:
Jon ossoff was on a trajectory to defeat karen handel narrowly, poised to deliver a humiliating blow to the white house in a race billed as a referendum of donald trump’s early months in office. Then the republican voters in georgia’s 6th congressional district unexpectedly showed up in droves.

Pollsters say sky-high turnout drove handel, the gop nominee, to a nearly 4-point victory on tuesday, despite most pre-election surveys showing ossoff with a small-but-shrinking lead.

Mathematically, a 4-point loss for a democratic house candidate in a district that has traditionally elected republicans by wide margins is an encouraging result for democrats. But in the end, the georgia contest represented yet another election in which the democratic candidate either led or was tied in public polls — and was overtaken by the republican when all the votes were counted.

...democrats say they hope trump’s low approval ratings mean voters will swing toward, not against, their candidates in the closing days of elections to come. But that doesn’t seem to have happened in georgia — even though trump lagged behind other republicans there in last year’s presidential election.
Old 06-21-17, 04:29 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
the surge of republican voters even surprised the only public pollster to predict karen handel as the winner.
Dunno why you put this in the conspiracy thread, but my 2-cents is that Democrats are lazy fucks who don't vote (and/or, too busy working/doing shit to vote). If every single eligible voter voted, Democrats would sweep almost everything.
Old 06-21-17, 04:36 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And this is exactly why I think nothing changes in 2018 and Trump wins again in 2020.

I think a LOT of people love Trump and happily vote for him in the privacy of the voting booth, even if they say otherwise to pollsters. This extends to the Republicans too.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-21-17, 04:50 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Is my car a Russian prostitute?
Good question.

But give me a few Democrat leaders, and you'll promptly have an investigation, millions of taxpayer dollars wasted, and a lot of time passing by with no definitive answer.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-21-17, 04:50 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And this is exactly why I think nothing changes in 2018 and Trump wins again in 2020.

I think a LOT of people love Trump and happily vote for him in the privacy of the voting booth, even if they say otherwise to pollsters. This extends to the Republicans too.
A LOT of people does not equal a MAJORITY of people
Old 06-21-17, 04:59 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Good question.

But give me a few Democrat leaders, and you'll promptly have an investigation, millions of taxpayer dollars wasted, and a lot of time passing by with no definitive answer.
We have a President that wastes millions of taxpayer dollars. What are you worried about?
Old 06-21-17, 05:04 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Dunno why you put this in the conspiracy thread, but my 2-cents is that Democrats are lazy fucks who don't vote (and/or, too busy working/doing shit to vote). If every single eligible voter voted, Democrats would sweep almost everything.
Because some of us said last week when the news first started to get attention that Georgia's system was easily compromised, this was going to be the outcome. "She triumphed! Another Republican defied the polls! People must really love Trump and the job he's doing!"

Here's the Politico article for anyone interested in a refresher.

Here's the thing- Any result in this election would be subject to second guessing because these concerns were dismissed and business went on as usual. This despite the fact that we are living in a very specific point in time when bad actors are FULLY KNOWN to be aggressively and repeatedly trying to compromise these elections.

But it's even more damning when it follows a standard script that has played out in other instances like it

Quote:
But in the end, the georgia contest represented yet another election in which the democratic candidate either led or was tied in public polls — and was overtaken by the republican when all the votes were counted.
That's why I posted that in this thread.
Old 06-21-17, 05:06 PM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You correctly posted in this thread because there is no proof or evidence of anything happening. This is basically the same crap that trump kept saying during and after the election.
Old 06-21-17, 05:08 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Problem with that theory is that shitty candidate Hillary still got 3 million more votes. How do you square that?
Old 06-21-17, 05:10 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
A LOT of people does not equal a MAJORITY of people
Actually, it does when it comes to winning the White House and other key seats. And here is why. If you have "a lot" of people voting for a candidate in key states where the opposing party just doesn't have the enthusiasm and stays home...you lose.

Like the popular vote that was argued for so long after the election? Popular vote doesn't mean shit. "MAJORITY of the people"...doesn't mean crap outside of a philosophical whine and cheese event of a bunch of fools who didn't vote and didn't get their base enthusiastic about voting.

What counts is showing up to vote in states where you're being told you have no chance of winning.

Democrats need the same type of mentality that was used on them this last election. Which is. Don't listen to the hype, just vote.

I would argue that even though Ossoff lost, the numbers looked pretty good to me, which tells me Democrats do care...but they need more leaders to get them out to the polls.

People like Don Lemon are doing this country a disgrace to the voting system.

Old 06-21-17, 05:15 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
You correctly posted in this thread because there is no proof or evidence of anything happening. This is basically the same crap that trump kept saying during and after the election.
Trump said it because he knew it was true. He just didn't reckon on the outcome being validated and instituted.

If he had he, AND HIS TEAM, would have been a little more on top of a transitional response, instead of being caught unawares like a team who apparently never really expected to have to govern.
Old 06-21-17, 05:17 PM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Trump said it because he knew it was true. He just didn't reckon on the outcome being validated and instituted.

If he had he, AND HIS TEAM, would have been a little more on top of a transitional response, instead of being caught unawares like a team who apparently never really expected to have to govern.
Yeah, except that it wasn't true.
Old 06-21-17, 05:19 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Yeah, except that it wasn't true.
Are we back to "The Russians didn't interfere in the election"?

Because at this point, it's pretty fucking obvious to anyone who isn't glued to Fox news, that they did.
Old 06-21-17, 05:28 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Once again, how did their interference cost Hillary the election, but yet favored Trump.

Last time I checked, Hillary got more votes. Trump supporters just turned out to vote.

What does Russia interference have to do with it.

Also, why wasn't the DNC reporting the hacking by Russians, as soon as it happened? Why did they refuse help from their own administration?

Ok, Russia may have interfered. But define that and at the same time, explain how much of an impact that had on Americans at the polls.

Because the biggest subversion of the voting system I saw...was the news media telling people they didn't have to vote...and that Hillary was a "sure win".

You wanna start poking around with voting interference...meet your news cable network and fellow anchors.

Old 06-21-17, 05:45 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Are we back to "The Russians didn't interfere in the election"?

Because at this point, it's pretty fucking obvious to anyone who isn't glued to Fox news, that they did.
I'm seeing from a variety of sources with varying degrees of credibility starting to report about Russia tampering with the actual vote counts.
Old 06-21-17, 05:53 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Now that accusations and investigations couldn't stick...we now have vote counts being tampered with.

How many votes were tampered with would be my question? And if it's extremely small...this would prove that Russia didn't have as much of a hold on our "Democracy" as many Democrats and even Republicans have been screaming about.

Also, has anyone explained here why Russia wouldn't have preferred Hillary over Trump.

Old 06-21-17, 06:02 PM   #97
Time Lord

Considering some of the win margins for Trump in various districts, changing an "extremely small" amount of votes could have a HUGE effect on our democracy.
Old 06-21-17, 06:03 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I'm seeing from a variety of sources with varying degrees of credibility starting to report about Russia tampering with the actual vote counts.
Yes.

My gut feeling is we won't get an "official" confirmation about this until we are close to or actually having some high profile arrests. This is Constitutional Crisis territory so it's going to have to be strategically revealed.

I was hoping we would be there before yesterday's elections, but I now think there's a good shot of getting there at least before the end of summer (seeing the first arrests and letting some of the cats out of the bag). The deliberation with which Mueller is assembling his team seems to point to this. He knows what he needs and he is assembling a prosecutorial team, not just an investigative one.

For right now, the story is they breeched systems in 29 states but "there is no evidence that vote totals were changed".

As I posted on the previous page- "The Department of Homeland Security insists that no one hacked actual votes—but admits it never ran an audit to check."
Old 06-21-17, 06:09 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Considering some of the win margins for Trump in various districts, changing an "extremely small" amount of votes could have a HUGE effect on our democracy.
And that's my point.

Clinton lost even though she had 3 million more votes, but if she had just gotten around 50K more votes spread out in various districts, she would've gotten the electoral as well.

He won by an absolute fluke which will be difficult to repeat.
The only issue is that 2020 census data won't be incorporated into the electoral vote by then. So the electoral numbers will be based on 10 years old data.
Old 06-21-17, 06:13 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
And you would have to prove a Russian presence in those key areas.

Also, the election was as much of a surprise to anyone, especially foreign countries. So, you'd have to prove Russia was all on top of this, being able to hack all different types of voting systems in the different states...

Jill Stein, thanks to her grandstanding, got more votes for Trump due to recounts.

People think our voting system is one massive collective where everyone knows what each other is doing. Not necessarily the case.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_metho...pment_by_state

Also, in Democrat states that swung Trump you don't think there was enough Democrat overseeing to make sure the counts were correct?

Did Democrats just passively stand by and watch their votes go to Trump? I kinda doubt it.

On a side note, Dianne Fienstein said once again, that nothing had changed and no evidence of Trump collusion with Russia.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-21-17 at 06:18 PM.