Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-17-17, 08:29 AM   #501
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official Trump/Russia Wacky? Conspiracy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This is still the most interesting aspect to me. And did it even violate laws? If Russia pays for political TV ads, what does our laws say about that? And how easy is it for them to simply transfer money that goes unnoticed? If Putin drops a suitcase full of cash (which would probably be five-times removed) and that money ends up financing Twitter propaganda, there's no defense.

This aspect doesn't get much attention. I think that the media is afraid to criticize Twitter and Facebook, or clickbait ads - as they've become key components. So it's like they're treading lightly.

Is there anything to stop this from happening again? My guess is probably not. Maybe spread awareness. I like to think that people will learn to spot what's fake. But that clickbait and fake news stuff has real influence over people. Clickbait exists for a reason ... because it's getting billions of clicks.
happening again? ... clickbait and fake news happen in every election with or without foreign interference. Campaign ads (both by the candidates themselves and their PACs) are notorious for inaccuracies and flat-out lies. Politicians on the campaign trail themselves spread lies and inaccuracies.

"Truth" has not been a high priority in the past, and it certainly won't be in the future.
Old 07-17-17, 09:27 AM   #502

Personally I'm not buying that this thing will directly implicate Paul Ryan or even Bernie Sanders (he has enough trouble with his wife's college scandal). More, I doubt that an offer to "flip" to Mueller by a US Congressperson leaked out to anyone. Again, Mueller is well known for running a tight ship, yet somehow something that explosive would leak? Very doubtful.

I sort of enjoy the look at these crazy twitter reports, Paul, but I hope you're taking them with a big grain of salt.
Old 07-17-17, 09:45 AM   #503
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I don't expect all these nuggets to pan out 100%, it's safe to say I'm a lot more bullish on this stuff being proved generally on point than most everybody else here. Things are fluid and Mueller and his crew will do things strategically which may result in info being suppressed for a purpose later on.

Ultimately a 65-70% accuracy rate I would consider high, all things considered.

That said, here is the tenor of the conversations I'm seeing today (this is taken mostly from Claude's feed, but the comments come from many different people chiming in)

Quote:
Investigation is basically done. Mueller has the case. It's about prosecution now.
Quote:
The hiring of prosecutors is telling, but especially the hiring of the former top DOJ trial lawyer. Not someone you hire for investigation.
Quote:
I have no sources, but I know hiring & workforce planning. You would never hire that trial lawyer if indictments were a year out.
Quote:
I think most Americans overlook this FACT; Mueller didn't start a NEW investigation, he took over the one started by Comey in July 2016
Quote:
Purely a guess but mine is we'll have additional information of Trump Russian collusion in next two weeks.
Quote:
if you look at my last couple of retweets it seems a lot of us are hearing a very consistent message.
Quote:
I concur - my MSM friends on (fire)- floodgates about to open. They're slightly worried what he may do to try to take back narrative. He'll lose.
Quote:
Every reporter I talk to says in one way or another, "it's coming..."
Old 07-17-17, 09:48 AM   #504
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
from PL on Saturday

From Claude Taylor
What is the Ryan angle? What do congresspersons have to "give up"?

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-17-17, 09:52 AM   #505
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I have never heard of The Intercept. Is it a reliable source?

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/...2016-election/

Quote:
RUSSIAN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE executed a cyberattack on at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials just days before last November’s presidential election, according to a highly classified intelligence report obtained by The Intercept.

The top-secret National Security Agency document, which was provided anonymously to The Intercept and independently authenticated, analyzes intelligence very recently acquired by the agency about a months-long Russian intelligence cyber effort against elements of the U.S. election and voting infrastructure. The report, dated May 5, 2017, is the most detailed U.S. government account of Russian interference in the election that has yet come to light.

The report indicates that Russian hacking may have penetrated further into U.S. voting systems than was previously understood. It states unequivocally in its summary statement that it was Russian military intelligence, specifically the Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate, or GRU, that conducted the cyber attacks described in the document:

"Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate actors … executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016, evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions. … The actors likely used data obtained from that operation to … launch a voter registration-themed spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations."

The NSA and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence were both contacted for this article. Officials requested that we not publish or report on the top secret document and declined to comment on it. When informed that we intended to go ahead with this story, the NSA requested a number of redactions. The Intercept agreed to some of the redaction requests after determining that the disclosure of that material was not clearly in the public interest.
So the Russians hacked into sate voting systems and companies who write software for voting machines. I can't wait to see what Moscow has planned for 2018 and 2020.
Old 07-17-17, 09:54 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
What is the Ryan angle? What do congresspersons have to "give up"?
Their complicity and knowledge of their peers complicity in the 2016 election rigging. About a dozen Senators and 30+ Congressmen are rumored to have participated in the funneling of Russian money into GOP coffers via offshore banks and big Republican donors.
Old 07-17-17, 09:54 AM   #507
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
That said, here is the tenor of the conversations I'm seeing today (this is taken mostly from Claude's feed, but the comments come from many different people chiming in)
Is this the same clown that said the "marshall" of the Supreme Court had already drawn up the impeachment papers? C'mon.

Old 07-17-17, 09:55 AM   #508
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post

So the Russians hacked into state voting systems and companies who write software for voting machines. I can't wait to see what Moscow has planned for 2018 and 2020.
Not really. Its Glenn Greenwald's site who has been a Trump apologist from the left all year.

Old 07-17-17, 09:57 AM   #509

The Intercept is a legit news outlet, but one that many consider to be somewhat sympathetic to Russia. They were the group that Reality Winner leaked her documents to, in part because she thought they would be seen as unbiased since they were known for their Russian slant. So it's interesting that they are the ones running this story.
Old 07-17-17, 10:00 AM   #510

Quote:
Is this the same clown that said the "marshall" of the Supreme Court had already drawn up the impeachment papers? C'mon.
That was Louise Mensch, who is somewhat affiliated with Taylor. Of the two, Taylor seems more sane, but that isn't saying much.
Old 07-17-17, 10:01 AM   #511
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't this an old article based on Reality Winner's leaks? I think she went to them because Greenwald was responsible for Snowden story. Little did she know they'd fuck her over unlike a real journalistic outfit.

Old 07-17-17, 10:04 AM   #512
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:

So the Russians hacked into state voting systems and companies who write software for voting machines. I can't wait to see what Moscow has planned for 2018 and 2020.
And yet states like Georgia with no paper trail and no way to cross reference the votes refuse to make even the simplest changes to their very flawed electronic vote tallying system.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US

Last edited by VinVega; 07-17-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 10:12 AM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
That was Louise Mensch, who is somewhat affiliated with Taylor. Of the two, Taylor seems more sane, but that isn't saying much.
Taylor, like most of the others I quote, is just relaying what he hears from his sources- who in all cases, I take to be social or familial acquaintances who are in a position to know what's going on. These people aren't reporters, though some of their sources are. They are disseminating raw intel that they are given, which may in turn be second hand.

Washington is a "company town". A lot of people hear what is going on, even if that info never makes it to the front page or nightly news.

It should also be noted that Taylor doesn't present his situation as anything more than I what I just characterized above. He's not claiming things will end up 100% accurate either. This is just what he is hearing/ being told by people he trusts and has known a while. I think he knows any new source is just as likely to be a set up as it is a follower of his, so I don't think he is going to err on the side of throwing out potential BS just to get more followers.

That's just my takeaway. John Schindler, an ex-spook, thinks enough of him to consistently retweet his stuff. That should tell you something.
Old 07-17-17, 10:17 AM   #514
DVD Talk Hero

Ooh, even NPR is getting into the conspiracy/coincidence game...

Timeline Of Trump And Russia In Mid-2016: A Series Of Coincidences Or Something More?

Quote:
The timeline of events in the spring and summer of 2016 has taken on new meaning in light of the email chain released last week by Donald Trump Jr., showing an offer of help for the Trump campaign, purportedly from Russia. Here we reconstruct those events.

The question that multiple congressional committees and special counsel Robert Mueller are now examining is whether the events on this timeline — the striking parallels between what Donald Trump said on the campaign trail last year and the messages coming out of Russia — are connected or are mere coincidences.
Old 07-17-17, 10:24 AM   #515

FBI has been on this since summer of last year (and further back in some instances).

Congressional committees are dog paddling to catch up- and they have a lot of distance to cover to catch up to what Mueller has/knows at this point.

That is to say the Dems and any Republicans that aren't bent. A lot of R's on these committees know EXACTLY what the deal is.
Old 07-17-17, 11:53 AM   #516
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Old 07-17-17, 12:14 PM   #517
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR View Post
The question that multiple congressional committees and special counsel Robert Mueller are now examining is whether the events on this timeline the striking parallels between what Donald Trump said on the campaign trail last year and the messages coming out of Russia are connected or are mere coincidences.
Just like it's a coincidence that Trump's tweets follow whatever is said on Fox and Friends.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-17-17, 12:18 PM   #518
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Just like it's a coincidence that Trump's tweets follow whatever is said on Fox and Friends.
There are quite a few dots to be connected. I saw one report where the same day that Donnie Jr was meeting with the Russians, Trump announced at a campaign stop that in a few days he would make an announcement about all the dirt he has on Hillary.... which he later never had.

That is certainly significant evidence that he was aware of Donnie boy's meeting and the reason for the meeting.
Old 07-17-17, 12:33 PM   #519
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
It's Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill. So ... maybe? They're the ones who published that leaked NSA document about election hacking.

Edit: I just realized this is the NSA document story from last month, not something new.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-17-17, 04:00 PM   #520
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Not really. Its Glenn Greenwald's site who has been a Trump apologist from the left all year.
I have a difficult time getting a bead on Greenwald. He's ostensibly a gay liberal, but he's been concern-trolling for Trump and the alt-right for a long time.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-17-17, 05:18 PM   #521
DVD Talk Legend

The reason why there was no useful info on Clinton in that secret meeting was cause the Russians set the meeting up knowing they can now Blackmail Trump Campaign. Surely Trump Jr. know this and is acting stupid to save face?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 07-17-17, 05:27 PM   #522
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
The reason why there was no useful info on Clinton in that secret meeting was cause the Russians set the meeting up knowing they can now Blackmail Trump Campaign. Surely Trump Jr. know this and is acting stupid to save face?
Blackmail the Trump campaign? Not without giving Trump any information.
Old 07-17-17, 05:39 PM   #523
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
happening again? ... clickbait and fake news happen in every election with or without foreign interference. Campaign ads (both by the candidates themselves and their PACs) are notorious for inaccuracies and flat-out lies. Politicians on the campaign trail themselves spread lies and inaccuracies.

"Truth" has not been a high priority in the past, and it certainly won't be in the future.
Lies have been around forever, but I think this is a new level. I bet the vast majority of people aren't aware of the existence of bots and fake people on social media. Unless they've gotten their friend requests, of course.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-17-17, 05:44 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Blackmail the Trump campaign? Not without giving Trump any information.

The emails read like a setup because that's exactly what they were. Donnie Jr. and the other two idiots fell for it hook line and sinker.

God bless the Internet.
Old 07-17-17, 05:49 PM   #525
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Lies have been around forever, but I think this is a new level. I bet the vast majority of people aren't aware of the existence of bots and fake people on social media.
That is fundamentally not any different than email chains that people forward to their friends without researching to see if the claims are true.

Misinformation during campaigns has been around for as long as there have been campaigns. The mechanisms to disseminate the misinformation change with the times. That's what's happening here.

I really don't think this whole Trump-Russia collusion is the real issue. I'm concerned about how beholden Trump is to Russia financially and what he will do to help Russia that will be at the expense of our own country.