Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

View Poll Results: Will Trump be imeached or leave office before his first term ends?
Yes he is in caught a web of scandals that he won't be able to untangle 29 56.86%
No, he's the Tangerine Tornado. No one can touch him 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-17, 12:50 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Poll: Will Trump be impeached or leave office before his first term ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
No. The Republicans won't impeach him for the appearance of impropriety. So far Trump has fired the man investigating Russian ties, and blabbed top secrets to the Russians. Both are legal activities.

Trump would have to commit a flagrant, undeniable crime. His handlers will improve at their jobs and prevent that from happening.
This. In addition, I expect "scandal" fatigue to set in around July. The more that hypersensitivity is given to these scandals and nothing happens as a result, the more likely it is that people will tune out and shrug it off.
Old 05-17-17, 12:51 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather see him stay.

If he keels over or is impeached, 40% of voters will still be on-board for what he represents. I think we should take the time to get it on the table, and continue the experiment. Otherwise, we're going to have another election cycle with the same futurist expectations from the same people. If Republican policy and rhetoric is going to fail, I'd like to see it try and fail. Then we'll end with more certainty.
Old 05-17-17, 01:00 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm, George W. Bush was re-elected, anything's possible.

Now I'm really scared!

Last edited by inri222; 05-17-17 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 01:03 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I am hoping he won't be impeached, (America deserves him as president)...
I'm leaning more and more this direction. For as much as a bumbling idiot as I think he is I don't think he'll do any real damage. The country needs this right now. This can't be blamed on the Black guy, the woman, or a Clinton. Middle America needs to see the repercussions of our actions. Just like us left fielders have to deal with the repercussions of dismissing the folks in the rust belt/flyover states.
Old 05-17-17, 01:08 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

It may be best for him to survive as damaged goods. If Pence takes over and passes a couple pieces of legislation, people may forget the cataclysm known as Trump and make Pence a hero for "saving the Country".
Old 05-17-17, 01:17 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
It may be best for him to survive as damaged goods. If Pence takes over and passes a couple pieces of legislation, people may forget the cataclysm known as Trump and make Pence a hero for "saving the Country".
I agree with this. Pence might actually get something passed that would do some damage. Trump will most likely continue shooting himself in the foot at every opportunity. If that keeps the Repubs from passing nonsense like their healthcare bill or from rolling back civil rights, then we're all much better off anyway.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 05-17-17, 01:31 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

It kind of feels like that's inevitable at this point. But with this do-nothing Congress, who knows?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-17-17, 01:35 PM   #33
Time Lord

Sounds like some of you have Stockholm syndrome.
Old 05-17-17, 01:45 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

As in Helsinki, Sweden!
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 05-17-17, 01:45 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I am hoping he won't be impeached, (America deserves him as president), but if he continues on this trend, I can see it happening within the next 4 years. The only way that will happen is if if the Republicans start thinking that he is affecting their chances of re-election by continuing to support him.
My problem with this sentiment is my generation may deserve him, but my kids don't, and he's doing damage that will linger for decades.
Old 05-17-17, 02:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'd rather see him stay.

If he keels over or is impeached, 40% of voters will still be on-board for what he represents. I think we should take the time to get it on the table, and continue the experiment. Otherwise, we're going to have another election cycle with the same futurist expectations from the same people. If Republican policy and rhetoric is going to fail, I'd like to see it try and fail. Then we'll end with more certainty.

This. I always felt that we'd likely need to hit bottom as a nation in order for the political system to (hopefully) improve - see how bad things can really get. I feel that Trump will help us hit that bottom.
Old 05-17-17, 02:26 PM   #37
Admin-Self Banned

Bastards...you swiped my thread:

How Long Will Trump be in Office?

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 05-17-17, 02:33 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydt View Post
This. I always felt that we'd likely need to hit bottom as a nation in order for the political system to (hopefully) improve - see how bad things can really get. I feel that Trump will help us hit that bottom.
My fear is that we'll hit bottom and the people in charge will go "This isn't so bad" and stomps us all down even further.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 05-17-17, 02:39 PM   #39
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I think we should take the time to get it on the table, and continue the experiment. Otherwise, we're going to have another election cycle with the same futurist expectations from the same people. If Republican policy and rhetoric is going to fail, I'd like to see it try and fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Middle America needs to see the repercussions of our actions.
They'll just blame the Democrats, and keep on supporting Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
This can't be blamed on the Black guy, the woman, or a Clinton.
And yet it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
My fear is that we'll hit bottom and the people in charge will go "This isn't so bad" and stomps us all down even further.
As long as blacks/Mexicans/gays/Muslims have it worse, Republicans will happily vote themselves into poverty and, ultimately, the grave.
Old 05-17-17, 02:42 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
My problem with this sentiment is my generation may deserve him, but my kids don't, and he's doing damage that will linger for decades.
Our kids may not "deserve" President Trump but they "need" the lessons that his presidency teaches. Because if the lessons aren't learned, someone far worse than Trump will become president.
Old 05-17-17, 02:43 PM   #41

Quote:

If that's the case, then luckily I'm 44 and will likely have around 1-1/2 to 2 decades of unhealthy living before I keel over dead :P
Old 05-17-17, 02:46 PM   #42
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Our kids may not "deserve" President Trump but they "need" the lessons that his presidency teaches. Because if the lessons aren't learned, someone far worse than Trump will become president.
ding ding ding WINNER!
Old 05-17-17, 02:52 PM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
No way he's getting kicked out. He'll probably win reelection. His base doesn't care about any of these scandals (just like they didn't care about all of his scandals throughout the campaign) and it'll take the Repubs actually turning on him to get him out of office (instead of just paying lip service) and they will NEVER do that.

And he'll never quit.

Settle in folks, it's all Trump all the time from here on out.
This exactly. Everyone needs to stop freaking out and accept it.
Old 05-17-17, 02:54 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
ding ding ding WINNER!
Eh, we're two generations removed from WWII and are headlong rushing into isolationists undoing the things set up to protect us while white nationalists peacock around.

If my grandparents living through Hitler didn't prevent that, I have doubts my daughter living through Trump will somehow prevent the rise of the Festering Asshole What Shits All Over Our Nice Things Party in 2060.
Old 05-17-17, 03:11 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

We reap what we sow. We cannot expect apples when we have sown the seed of a cactus.
Old 05-17-17, 03:14 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
No way he's getting kicked out. He'll probably win reelection. His base doesn't care about any of these scandals (just like they didn't care about all of his scandals throughout the campaign) and it'll take the Repubs actually turning on him to get him out of office (instead of just paying lip service) and they will NEVER do that.

And he'll never quit.

Settle in folks, it's all Trump all the time from here on out.
His "base" isn't nearly enough to win him the next election. Don't forget, he won because a ton of Obama voters didn't vote for Hillary - those ex-Obama voters are in no way his "base" and are unlikely to vote for him again, especially if the Dems put forth someone without the Clinton baggage.
Old 05-17-17, 03:21 PM   #47
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Eh, we're two generations removed from WWII and are headlong rushing into isolationists undoing the things set up to protect us while white nationalists peacock around.

If my grandparents living through Hitler didn't prevent that, I have doubts my daughter living through Trump will somehow prevent the rise of the Festering Asshole What Shits All Over Our Nice Things Party in 2060.
ever vigilant. no storybook forever after endings.

The point is- if it wasn't Trump now, it would have been someone much worse, and with far more ability in the not too distant future.

This event staves that off for a little while longer.
Old 05-17-17, 03:25 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Yea. If we're going to make predictions about next election ... no way does Trump win again. Unless there's a big u-turn during his next 1300 days. Like, peace in the Middle East and an economic boom.

Embarrassed and/or beat down Republicans won't vote for him. And Democrats will be more energized than ever to get off the sofa and vote. Especially now that the non-coastal Democrats see what happens when they don't vote (or think "one vote for Trump won't matter").

That reminds me of anecdotal stories about the 2016 election. When Trump's voters were so riled up to vote for him (in areas that were all Trump), it's hard to get out and place a rebellious vote. There are a lot of people who may have wanted to vote Clinton, but stayed home because of pressure they felt from others around them. Same thing happens to a conservative living in NYC or LA.
Old 05-17-17, 03:29 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Whether or not the lessons are learned and applied is a separate issue. But IMO the lessons need to be taught.
Old 05-17-17, 03:30 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting theories here. Worse than Trump. I hadn't considered it but imagine Trump combined with the actual intelligence to become a real dictator rather than an incompetent idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's doing. That's a scary thought. Just the fact he's been able to mesmerize 60 million plus people into thinking he's a great leader is terrifying.