Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-14-17, 12:37 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

People to Follow on Twitter Who Aren't Insane Conspiracy Theorists

After the discussion of Louise Mensch in the main Trump thread, I thought it'd be smart to have a thread where people can recommend people to follow on Twitter who are good sources of political news and analysis.

If you recommend someone, embed one of their tweets, or at least link to their profile.

Reporters

Liberal Pundits

Conservative Pundits

Experts

Pollsters

Activists

Parody

Blog | Twitter
Old 05-14-17, 01:55 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: People to Follow on Twitter Who Aren't Insane Conspiracy Theorists

Good Sources = Liberal Sources?

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-14-17, 02:19 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

https://mobile.twitter.com/wm_lopez
Old 05-14-17, 02:41 PM   #4
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good resource- Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 05-14-17, 02:59 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If you use Twitter, you should post your recommendations.

I follow 600-or-so people on Twitter. Probably 50 of them are media-related.

I try not to go too deep, and stick with the superficial sources. For instance, I can follow The New York Times, it's editor, and maybe one or two journalists. But Twitter will keep recommending if you let them. And before I realize, I'll be following the NYT chief janitor.

For the most part, if something is notable, it'll show up in my feed, my recommended feed, trending hashtags, or this place. There's not a whole lot you can miss if you're giving an hour-or-so a day to these places.

My most fascinating find on Twitter, are all of the "Deplorable" and "Nasty" type accounts. You know the ones that showcase flag icons from some hard-workin' middle of the country mama. And inexplicably have 15k followers. And now we're finding out a lot of that stuff is orchestrated propaganda (we'll leave partisan affiliations and Russia out of it). Networks of like-and-follow users that artificially boost each others' tweets to legitimize them.

I also get enjoyment out of the political comedy. I know I know, the snark is what insulted Trump voters and energized them to get out and vote. But whatever. I enjoy the heck out of it. Many comments are so good, it takes away from shows like The Daily Show and Colbert. I remember when The Daily Show (and maybe The Onion) were the only places to get that entertainment. And now there are 50 new tweets every minute. And sometimes they really hit.
Old 05-14-17, 03:04 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Is that real or parody?

If it's a parody, that person needs to keep it up. Is he on other websites? I know grundle had the presence elsewhere (didn't someone come here looking for him?).
Old 05-14-17, 03:56 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually follow Alyssa Milano because she links to pretty good news sources for stuff about Trump and conservatives. Plus it is fun to read all of the responses by the lying Cheetos fans as they get all fussy.
Old 05-14-17, 04:35 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Is that real or parody?

If it's a parody, that person needs to keep it up. Is he on other websites? I know grundle had the presence elsewhere (didn't someone come here looking for him?).
They're real quotes from DVDtalk posts. It was started by some other poster here. I think I could guess who, but I may be wrong.
Old 05-14-17, 10:11 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If you think Jonah Goldberg and Bill Kristol are liberals, I can't help you man.

Blog | Twitter
Old 05-15-17, 12:33 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
If you think Jonah Goldberg and Bill Kristol are liberals, I can't help you man.
Out of the several dozen, you pick two.

So, let's break it down further, then:

Good Sources = Non-Trump Supporters?

As far as Bill Kristol being a good source, people should look into his background. He's a war machine, of exponential proportions. And very establishment. He's created his own think tank (PNAC) which should scare any of you. Unfortunately, most of you probably don't even know about it.

If anyone has anything to do with world wars and skirmishes in a "final solution" of certain groups of people...Bill Kristol is your man.

Kristol even had his own Presidential Candidate, David French, to compete with Trump because Trump wasn't good enough for his view of the Republican Party and how Trump was too friendly with foreign powers (even though Bush was coddling Saudi Arabia and other controversial countries during Bill Kristol's employment).

Bill Kristol was also part of the team that encouraged the US to go to war with Iraq and served under the Bush Administration. He also served under William Bennett.

Still think Kristol is a "good source"?

And let me top that motherfucker off for yah:

Here's a quote I still remember to this very day:

"Have you ever met a war you didn't love?" - William Kristol

Kristol even predicted Obama would lose to Hillary Clinton in 2008. This is the same guy who predicted Trump would lose to Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Jonah Goldberg is from the National Review. Yeah, that online paper who predicted Trump would never win, and coordinated a publicity stunt of most of its staff to sign an anti-Trump letter and we all know where that went. Nowhere.

Jonah criticizes Trump for his domestic and foreign policies, yet praises Reagan and both Bush Presidencies for their amazing economic plans and foreign relations (which include Russia and China, Saudi Arabia, etc.).

Again, is Jonah a "good source"?

Are we going to add Glenn Beck to this list of "good sources", too?

I don't think we need quotes from Glenn Beck.

And hey, if Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh get critical of Trump are you going to add them as "good sources"?

Just because we have people who say anti-Trump things...does NOT make them GOOD. You need to be careful.

If you're so desperate...that you have to resort to extending your hand to those you say are your political enemies, and say they are good sources, well, I'm not sure what to say.

I criticize Trump and have, and always will. But I certainly will not resort to calling Bill Kristol and others good sources. They damaged America way before Trump even came along.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-15-17, 01:05 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Out of the several dozen, you pick two.
Goldberg and Kristol aren't the only conservatives on the list. There are five just under the heading "conservative pundits," and several more under "experts" and "pollsters".

Quote:
So, let's break it down further, then:

Good Sources = Non-Trump Supporters?
The title of the thread is "People to Follow on Twitter Who Aren't Insane Conspiracy Theorists," so ... yeah.

Quote:
As far as Bill Kristol being a good source, people should look into his background. He's a war machine, of exponential proportions. And very establishment. He's created his own think tank (PNAC) which should scare any of you.
If you want to get a conservative perspective on Trumpworld, yes, he absolutely is a good source.

Blog | Twitter

Last edited by Sean O'Hara; 05-15-17 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 09:01 AM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
But I certainly will not resort to calling Bill Kristol and others good sources.
I think in this case, "good sources" means more of "they post interesting things that for the most part are true" not necessarily "they are amazing people that I agree with everything they've done and said".