Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-20-17, 12:51 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bill O'Reilly - Exiting Fox News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
One of his finest racist moments:

Holy Shit. A black guy dressed in a suit looks like a cocaine dealer?
Old 04-20-17, 12:59 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Beyond what he admitted into a microphone?
Dangit! I could have sworn that you originally said "with a microphone," which brought an immediate quip to mind. Did you edit the "with" to "into" (which still could be used but more of a stretch)?
Old 04-20-17, 01:00 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's not "racism" when it's directed towards those who are in power.

Basically, those who are not in a power position (minorities) don't have the power to hold over those who do have the power (white/hetero/Christian).
You are misinformed and I can tell this is an institutional line of thinking.

And it's seriously flawed.

Racism has nothing to do with power, in that...you don't have to be in a position of authority and/or power to be racist. Generally, racism starts when it is just the opposite. Groups who feel like they are getting oppressed. For example, Adolf Hitler was far from being in a position of authority but he still had his racist views of Jews and other ethnic groups. He came into power, by spreading his racism. In that case...power came afterwards.

Racism exists in every level in society. Once we accept that, we'll be on our way to a productive discussion.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-20-17, 01:05 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's not "racism" when it's directed towards those who are in power.

Basically, those who are not in a power position (minorities) don't have the power to hold over those who do have the power (white/hetero/Christian).
Aren't the most-oppressed racial minorities in America also primarily hetero & Christian? I'm assuming that you are identifying any group making up a statistical majority or those with more influential traits (wealthy, attractive, able-bodied, higher-educated, healthy, etc.) and are not trying to lump all those traits into one conglomerated group having all those characteristics.
Old 04-20-17, 01:08 PM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Probably already been discussed but just saw a quote this morning on Morning Joe saying that it was an "open secret" that O'Reilly was pretty much universally loathed by most of his colleagues at the network.
Old 04-20-17, 01:09 PM   #106
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You are misinformed and I can tell this is an institutional line of thinking.

And it's seriously flawed.

Racism has nothing to do with power, in that...you don't have to be in a position of authority and/or power to be racist. Generally, racism starts when it is just the opposite. Groups who feel like they are getting oppressed. For example, Adolf Hitler was far from being in a position of authority but he still had his racist views of Jews and other ethnic groups. He came into power, by spreading his racism. In that case...power came afterwards.

Racism exists in every level in society. Once we accept that, we'll be on our way to a productive discussion.
Not surprisingly, YOU are misinformed. Institutional racism is designed to prevent racial minorities from being on a level playing field with, in this country, white people. Your attempt at saying that racism exists at every level completely obfuscates the power structures that benefit white people in general and harm racial minorities in general.

Using your Hitler example, how much institutional power would Hitler have been able to amass if he were black and blaming white people for Germany's problems, or Jewish and blaming Christians?

To put things into a modern context, how much institutional power has BLM amassed?
Old 04-20-17, 01:13 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Holy Shit. A black guy dressed in a suit looks like a cocaine dealer?
What would you call an educated black man with a BA, or an MA, or a BS, or a PHD? - Malcolm X

- Machiavelli
Old 04-20-17, 01:15 PM   #108

I'm genuinely curious why this particular pointless argument isn't in the proper thread?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-20-17, 01:16 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Not surprisingly, YOU are misinformed. Institutional racism is designed to prevent racial minorities from being on a level playing field with, in this country, white people. Your attempt at saying that racism exists at every level completely obfuscates the power structures that benefit white people in general and harm racial minorities in general.

- Machiavelli
Old 04-20-17, 01:20 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'm genuinely curious why this particular pointless argument isn't in the proper thread?
Lending you my badge, Dirty Wendy:

Old 04-20-17, 01:33 PM   #111
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

huge money
Old 04-20-17, 01:40 PM   #112
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That fucking nails it.
Old 04-20-17, 01:40 PM   #113
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Who should I harrass to get that kind of money?
Old 04-20-17, 02:27 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Probably already been discussed but just saw a quote this morning on Morning Joe saying that it was an "open secret" that O'Reilly was pretty much universally loathed by most of his colleagues at the network.
I posted this yesterday:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/13056717-post70.html

Quote:
The O'Reilly Factor is running now and it's being called "the FACTOR." Also gone is the yellow "20" that has been part of the caption since O'Reilly hit 20 years with Fox.

I can only imagine people like Krauthammer thinking "thank goodness I don't have to appear on that jackass's show any more." In fact I would think all sorts of quiet, little celebrations (some maybe of only one person) are going on today at Fox by people both in front of and behind the cameras.

This is a true "ding dong the witch is dead" moment.
If you have seen some of the people who appeared on his program regularly, maybe once or twice a week, always on the same day(s) (apparently as an obligation of their contracts) such as Krauthammer or Stossel and you see how he treated them and their trying-to-stay-civil reactions to him, you just know they have to loathe him.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 04-20-17, 02:29 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Dangit! I could have sworn that you originally said "with a microphone," which brought an immediate quip to mind. Did you edit the "with" to "into" (which still could be used but more of a stretch)?
Nope But hey, quip away!
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-20-17, 04:13 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

O'Reilly probably getting about $25 million in severance. The good news is that his new four year contract is apparently worth about $100 million so Fox's "outs" written into the new contract will save them about $75 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/b...ly-payout.html
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 04-20-17, 04:48 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I posted this yesterday:
Yeah, I saw your post & thought of it when they mentioned it on the cable show.

I was just adding the comment to mention an "unofficial-official" confirmation of your speculations from insiders. Can't say that they were gleeful, but they didn't exactly look broken up, either.

Didn't mean to overlook your earlier comment or dismiss it but only to add a little juice to the speculation and confirmation of your suspicions.

It reminds me of seeing leaked footage of others who got caught in tirades and meltdowns toward the underlings (Chris Berman on ESPN comes to mind) when things didn't go their way. Not hard to see O'Reilly or Hannity having similar moments (or Matthews or O'Donnell or Maddow or any number of other ego-driven media types).

Certainly, reports of bad behavior by H. Clinton & Trump toward those who serve them aren't hard to believe, either.
Old 04-20-17, 06:30 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
O'Reilly probably getting about $25 million in severance. The good news is that his new four year contract is apparently worth about $100 million so Fox's "outs" written into the new contract will save them about $75 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/b...ly-payout.html
I dunno how this would save them any money, as O'Reilly was the one making the money for them. They're gonna lose a lot more than $75 million in the upcoming future when it comes to advertising.

This is all a lose/lose for Fox News. I don't see them recovering from their pole position in the cable network news industry.

Fox News is just becoming a typical social media network, repeating the same videos we've already seen, getting a few laughs, then moving on. They have gradually moved from news reporting...to shock value reporting over the last decade. Their shows will become the Conservative versions of The View.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-20-17, 06:45 PM   #119
Time Lord

Bill O'Reilly was never news though. He was always opinion.
Old 04-20-17, 07:09 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Bill O'Reilly was never news though. He was always opinion.
Listen Sir, O'Reilly, Hannity, & Limbaugh are real journalists who tell the truth, just ask their fans.

- Machiavelli
Old 04-20-17, 07:24 PM   #121
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Listen Sir, O'Reilly, Hannity, & Limbaugh are real journalists who tell the truth, just ask their fans.
That's the fucking problem. *sigh*
Old 04-20-17, 07:38 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I dunno how this would save them any money, as O'Reilly was the one making the money for them. They're gonna lose a lot more than $75 million in the upcoming future when it comes to advertising.
But that's the point. They lost the overwhelming majority of their advertising for The Factor. You can't support a prime time one hour show with 4-5 minutes of advertising from normally daytime/overnight sponsors like MyPillow. That's all they had going and I bet they had to cut their rate to get them.

What I meant was they cut their losses as well as they could.

- David French
Old 04-20-17, 07:52 PM   #123
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
But that's the point. They lost the overwhelming majority of their advertising for The Factor. You can't support a prime time one hour show with 4-5 minutes of advertising from normally daytime/overnight sponsors like MyPillow. That's all they had going and I bet they had to cut their rate to get them.

MyPillow, metholisia ambulance chasers, and Liberty Mutual...to paraphrase Morty Seinfeld, "That's how you move merchandise!".
Old 04-20-17, 07:54 PM   #124
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

MyPillow, mesothelioma ambulance chasers, and Liberty Mutual...to paraphrase Morty Seinfeld, "That's how you move merchandise!".
Old 04-20-17, 08:02 PM   #125
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've often wondered, if asked and forced to answer, how "conservative pundits" - especially radio hosts - would respond to "If Republicans have the moral high ground/are the party of family values (as you keep reminding us) then shouldn't they be the FIRST to out these hypocrites in the party instead of defending them with the most ridiculous excuses? Isn't this exactly what you fault the Democrats for doing?"