Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-17-17, 01:28 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: North Korea may have fired missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
That's funny. Just the other day, I heard a couple moderates (with views close to my own) talking in the locker room. Even though they were saying stuff I agree with, I thought, "oh shit, do I sound that stupid when I talk politics".
One of the many reasons I never discuss politics with anyone in real life. Either it's everyone nodding in agreement or an argument. I don't need either.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-17-17, 01:43 PM   #77
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
That's funny. Just the other day, I heard a couple moderates (with views close to my own) talking in the locker room. Even though they were saying stuff I agree with, I thought, "oh shit, do I sound that stupid when I talk politics".
It was nearly the exact same situation (as well as personal discovery) that led me to quit watching Melrose Place back in the early 90s
Just sayin'
Old 04-28-17, 09:15 PM   #78
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another North Korea ballistic missile test just failed

(CNN) North Korea on Saturday launched a ballistic missile that blew up over land, a spokesman for the US Pacific Command said.

The missile didn't leave North Korean territory, US Navy Cmdr. Dave Benham said.
A US military assessment found the main part of the missile landed approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) from Pukchang airfield, a US official told CNN.
Old 04-28-17, 09:43 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

There's a movie in here somewhere. KJ kidnaps the Space X team.

I didn't know missile guidance is so complicated. And I'm not joking. I figured you just take what's out there and copy it. Even if you must do it like a spy (ie buying some black-market equipment and reverse-engineering it). Is that information not out there?

Space X moved onto landing and re-using rockets. KJ can't seem to keep them from blowing up in his face.
Old 04-29-17, 01:37 PM   #80

This could get interesting -

US warship sails within "striking distance" of North Korea

USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier group has arrived in waters near the Korean peninsula, where it will join the USS Michigan, a guided missile submarine that docked in South Korea on Tuesday.

Old 04-30-17, 11:40 PM   #81
DVD Talk Godfather

So if one ship is an armada, what do we call two ships?

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 05-01-17, 10:42 AM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-02-17, 03:34 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

THAAD missile defense system now operational in S.Korea

Quote:
A controversial missile defense system whose deployment has angered China is now operational in South Korea, a US defense official said Monday.

Washington and Seoul agreed to the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery deployment in July in the wake of a string of North Korean missile tests.

"It has reached initial intercept capability," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

This initial capability will be augmented later this year as additional hardware and components arrive to complete the system, officials said.

THAAD's deployment in South Korea has infuriated China, which fears it will weaken its own ballistic missile capabilities and says it upsets the regional security balance.

The THAAD system, which is being installed on a former golf course in the southern county of Seongju, is designed to intercept and destroy short- and medium-range ballistic missiles during their final phase of flight.

Beijing has imposed a host of measures seen as economic retaliation against the South for the THAAD deployment, including a ban on tour groups.

Retail conglomerate Lotte, which previously owned the golf course, has also been targeted, with 85 of its 99 stores in China shut down, while South Korea's biggest automaker Hyundai Motor has said its Chinese sales have fallen sharply.

The THAAD deployment comes as tension soars on the Korean peninsula following a series of missile launches by the North and warnings from the administration of US President Donald Trump that military action is an "option on the table."

- Who should pay -

Further complicating matters, Trump stunned Seoul last week when he suggested South Korea should pay for the $1 billion THAAD system.

"I informed South Korea it would be appropriate if they paid. It's a billion-dollar system," Trump was quoted as saying in a published report.

"It's phenomenal, shoots missiles right out of the sky."

Seoul retorted that under the Status of Forces Agreement that governs the US military presence in the country, the South would provide the THAAD site and infrastructure while the US would pay to deploy and operate it.

Thomas Karako, the director of the Missile Defense Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, noted that South Korea's sole THAAD battery does not quite have the range to cover the entire country.

But he called it an important first step.

"This is not about a having a perfect shield, this is about buying time and thereby contributing to the overall credibility of deterrence," Karako told AFP.

"South Korea with THAAD helps communicate to the North that today is not a good day to attack. It doesn't mean that they could not do a lot of damage -- they would -- but it strengthens the overall posture."

In a surprise development, Trump on Monday said he would not rule out meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, under the right conditions.

"If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would, absolutely. I would be honored to do it," Trump told Bloomberg News.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/thaad-mis...185416001.html
Old 05-13-17, 06:08 PM   #84

Kim Jong-Un fires ANOTHER ballistic missile

There are reports it was in the air for 30 minutes.

It flew 430 miles towards Japan.
Old 05-13-17, 06:26 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Uh oh. If I learned anything from mocking Trump, we should really stop mocking KJ. It only makes them stronger and more focused to prove themselves.

I'm sure it's complicated. But what is it that keeps us from turning NK into a crater if they actually hit a target? Are they under Chinese protection?
Old 05-13-17, 06:50 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Uh oh. If I learned anything from mocking Trump, we should really stop mocking KJ. It only makes them stronger and more focused to prove themselves.

I'm sure it's complicated. But what is it that keeps us from turning NK into a crater if they actually hit a target? Are they under Chinese protection?

Among other things.
Old 05-13-17, 07:04 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The THAAD system, which is being installed on a former golf course in the southern county of Seongju, is designed to intercept and destroy short- and medium-range ballistic missiles during their final phase of flight.
You guys missed this opportunity?

Jeesh.

Shame. Shame, I say.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-21-17, 05:38 PM   #88

North Korea confirms 'successful' new ballistic missile test

North Korea has confirmed it "successfully" launched another medium-range ballistic missile on Sunday.

The rocket was fired from an area near Pukchang, in South Phyongan Province, and flew eabout 310 miles.

Old 05-21-17, 06:29 PM   #89
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

We should claim a successful test of our matter-transport system which took the totally successful NK missile and sent it to the moon.
Old 05-21-17, 07:17 PM   #90

Quote:

We could strike first, but in so doing we would almost certainly sacrifice Seoul, which has lots of non-nuclear missiles pointed at it.

If they did ever hit anything, yes, most likely we would leave them a smoking crater, but that wouldn't stop them from hitting a lot of targets themselves first. So it's a lose-lose and we most definitely don't want to go there.

China doesn't want a migrant crisis if North Korea was to collapse, nor do they want South Korea to take control since they are an ally of the US and would expand our influence in the area (it's possible their concerns here are reduced as NK gets closer to possessing a functional nuke). From what I understand, South Korea would struggle to absorb North Korea as this is not the same situation as when Germany was divided.

China also opposes the THAAD system as they believe it could be used to shoot their missiles out of the sky as well as North Korea's, thus reducing the deterrence potential of their weapons.

And that's basically all I know about the situation.
Old 05-21-17, 07:42 PM   #91
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ You probably already know more than our President about Korea.
Old 05-21-17, 08:07 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post

China also opposes the THAAD system as they believe it could be used to shoot their missiles out of the sky as well as North Korea's, thus reducing the deterrence potential of their weapons.
As much as I think that making the situation tenser in an already volatile region isn't good for anyone, China can go eat a bag of dicks on this one. As NK's only real ally and influence, it was China's job to keep that little butterball in line, as they had with his father and grandfather. If they can't do that any longer, it's hard to begrudge countries like South Korea and Japan to want to better defend themselves against a country that is getting more and more crazier and aggressive, that has already openly threatened both countries many times, and have missiles that are easily within range.
Old 05-21-17, 10:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
As much as I think that making the situation tenser in an already volatile region isn't good for anyone, China can go eat a bag of dicks on this one. As NK's only real ally and influence, it was China's job to keep that little butterball in line, as they had with his father and grandfather. If they can't do that any longer, it's hard to begrudge countries like South Korea and Japan to want to better defend themselves against a country that is getting more and more crazier and aggressive, that has already openly threatened both countries many times, and have missiles that are easily within range.
You're not wrong, but my understanding is not even China has that good of a handle on them. They've cut the electricity going into NK and cut back on buying coal at times, but nothing shakes them. That said, as nuts as they are, there is a lot of logic in their quest for nuclear weapons. The game changes when you are a nuclear power. Russia is basically equivalent to Mexico as an economic power, but they get to punch over their weight since they could blow us up a thousand times over (granted, if oil prices rise, they would become more of an economic power again).

Bluntly, you could argue we share some responsibility as well. Of all people, Dick Cheney wanted to invade when they first got material for nuclear weapons, but we had already blown our load by going into Iraq and Bush shot it down. I'm not sure I would've done any differently than Bush in that scenario, but they got nukes on our watch, too. Of course, Cheney pretty much wanted to preemptively bomb everyone it seemed like at times (Syria was another one that Bush passed on, letting the Israelis go on their own in Operation Orchard, which turned out to be a strike on a legit nuclear facility, so Cheney did have a point).
Old 07-04-17, 06:25 PM   #94

This is not the kind of "fireworks" I was looking forward to on July 4th:

US, South Korea conduct military exercise in response to North Korea missile launch

United States Army and South Korean military personnel conducted a joint exercise to counteract North Korea's "destabilizing and unlawful actions," a statement from the US Army said.

The exercise used the Army Tactical Missile System, or ATACMS, and the Republic of Korea Hyunmoo Missile II, which fired missiles into territorial waters of South Korea along the East Coast, according to the US Army statement.
Old 07-04-17, 07:20 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

If we don't strike first (meaning a small group to kill the leader), it is too clear that North Korea...will strike first, potentially killing hundreds of thousands. Possibly millions. They are not backing down. They are stepping things up. This should not be difficult to understand. North Korea wants to destroy countries.

So, it's coming down to a matter of how you want lives to matter.

1) Either taking out NK's leader as soon as possible, reducing the threat...

or

2) Just letting NK's leader do this until a nuke is fired into Tokyo, taking a gamble on how many will die. Tokyo's overall population is around 38 million. Highly condensed. And North Korea has been adamantly wanting for Japan's destruction for decades.

I was hoping China would take care of the problem, but they are not. So, we're gonna have to do it.

People are going to die. But sitting around, just waiting for several nukes to fall into Japan's lap or even South Korea's lap...is not the way to prevent a large-scale attack of death that has never been seen...even with the US's attack on Japan in WWII.

Depending on the luck of North Korea, the US might have a few missiles hit as well on the coastal states.

This must stop.

North Korea's leader must die.

Old 07-04-17, 07:57 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

^^^Don't count on your boy actually stepping up and doing anything about it. He just likes to talk loud but is saying nothing.
Old 07-04-17, 09:17 PM   #97
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If we don't strike first (meaning a small group to kill the leader), it is too clear that North Korea...will strike first, potentially killing hundreds of thousands. Possibly millions. They are not backing down. They are stepping things up. This should not be difficult to understand. North Korea wants to destroy countries.
That's highly unlikely, but anything is possible.

The only thing that is clear is that we've reached a decision point: act decisively to resolve the situation or accept North Korea as a nuclear state. The two main options for action are diplomacy (preferable but unlikely to work) or military operations (huge risk potentially resulting in large losses of life). The latter would essentially be another Iraq War, but this time the opponent would actually have weapons of mass destruction. We'd have to overthrow the government, occupy the territory, and establish a new government.

My guess is that Trump will blame Obama and implicitly (but not explicitly) accept that North Korea is a nuclear state.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 07-04-17, 09:19 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
^^^Don't count on your boy actually stepping up and doing anything about it. He just likes to talk loud but is saying nothing.
Not sure what that has to with anything as the President would need more than just himself to initiate action, anyway.

You know that.

Come to think of it, he's your boy, too, unless you don't have American citizenship. Half of Hollywood should have turned in their citizenship by now, you'd think, right? Whoopi is extremely late(nt) on her leaving the country. But I'm getting off track...

But let's go on what evidence we do have.

Who was the President who bombed Assad's military after it was allegedly proven Assad authorized chemical weapons on his people?

It wasn't Hillary. And it sure wasn't Barrack "Red Line" Obama.

It was Trump.

So, based on Trump's previous military actions, we have more probability of something happening than just the harsh smug language we heard from Obama for 8 years.

Old 07-04-17, 09:25 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
That's highly unlikely, but anything is possible.

The only thing that is clear is that we've reached a decision point: act decisively to resolve the situation or accept North Korea as a nuclear state. The two main options for action are diplomacy (preferable but unlikely to work) or military operations (huge risk potentially resulting in large losses of life). The latter would essentially be another Iraq War, but this time the opponent would actually have weapons of mass destruction. We'd have to overthrow the government, occupy the territory, and establish a new government.

My guess is that Trump will blame Obama and implicitly (but not explicitly) accept that North Korea is a nuclear state.
Well we could recognize NK as a nuclear state but I don't think that is going to matter as the country has clearly demonstrated they want to be on the offensive, instead of being a defensive country.

A realistic solution would be to go in there, take Kim out, have a leader waiting in the wings that is known to be more moderate and liked by most of NK, as well as China giving us the nod.

Most of NK's military would not fight back. It's another Iraq situation (like you said) where we hear stories of the amazing Revolutionary Guard, infamous, and would fight to the end...then reality sets in and they run away as fast as possible. Few will remain within Kim's inner circle, they will be resistant, and Americans will die, but certainly not as many if we were to let NK launch an attack at our allies or the US in general. Many Americans are in Japan, and tens of thousands could die if only one missile made it to their shores.

It's a bad situation, and diplomacy has left the room.

Old 07-04-17, 09:35 PM   #100
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your scenario sounds like a complete fantasy. It sounds like a Bay of Pigs operation where success is dependent on factors mostly outside of our control. That's unacceptable, and there's no way that our generals would advocate such a reckless plan. If we're going to attack, then we have to launch an attack designed to neutralize as much of their offensive capabilities as quickly as possible. Any attack would have to be a major one.

I'm not advocating military operations, but if the administration decides to go that route, then hope is not a plan.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea