Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-16-17, 01:02 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Charitable donations thread

Not very creative thread title for this one.

I saw Amazon had a "donate extra to charity" day going on.

Made me think, who needs the money the most right now given the political climate? My go-to for Amazon Smile and other donation buckets so to speak, was always the Electronic Frontier Foundation or my kids' school PTO organization.

I'm in a position now in life that I could probably start doing some donating. Nice feeling.

With the latest Trump budget out, trying to cut funding for NPR, Endowment for the Arts, Planned Parenthood, etc...

Who needs the funds the most? NPR is probably nearest and dearest to my heart, but not sure if donating to my local station would be best or the bigger NPR organization. Or maybe Planned Parenthood or the like needs the funding the most, given that NPR is supported / funded a lot more by folks of both political allegiances. Or maybe it is groups that provide healthcare for people since a lot of folks are going to get royally screwed over by Republicare (TM). Perhaps lawyers for immigrants, I heard about the lawyers showing up in airports on the weekend to help folks affected by the Friday night Muslim ban and it made me think maybe there is a group that deserves a contribution there.

Any thoughts / input?
Old 03-16-17, 01:16 PM   #2
Admin-Self Banned

Re: Charitable donations thread

I think the ones you listed here are good organizations to give to. You could add the ACLU to the list as well. They will probably be pretty busy over the next 4 years and will need resources.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 03-16-17, 01:41 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Made me think, who needs the money the most right now given the political climate? My go-to for Amazon Smile and other donation buckets so to speak, was always the Electronic Frontier Foundation or my kids' school PTO organization.
PTA? That's always a great choice. We already do the same with both Amazon Smile, Target, and other local businesses that give that option. If the Trump administration, and their supporters get their way, public school PTA's (and school districts as a whole) will need all the help they can get.
Old 03-16-17, 01:53 PM   #4

https://www.unicef.org/southsudan/

There really isn't a choice.
Old 03-16-17, 02:02 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Have you paid your RLDS tithing?

Just kidding. All my charitable donations right now go to Planned Parenthood.
Old 03-16-17, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Have you paid your RLDS tithing?

Just kidding. All my charitable donations right now go to Planned Parenthood.
My Grandma died years ago so I don't need to pretend any more for her.

ACLU is a good idea, I'm setting my Amazon smile to that for now. And yeah, I meant PTA, typo.

Planned Parenthood is going to struggle the most it seems to me given the cost of healthcare services and anti-abortion resistance to anything else they do.
Old 03-16-17, 02:59 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My short list is Planned Parenthood, the ACLU and the SPLC.
Old 03-16-17, 03:23 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://smile.amazon.com/

Here's how to have Amazon give to certain charities...just by you shopping.
Old 03-16-17, 04:07 PM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^ That's what I've been using since it started up. I give to leukemia kids since that's what I had.
Old 03-16-17, 04:21 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

I run a nonprofit, and Smile annoys me because everyone talks about it, and Amazon always pushes it. Using an Amazon associates link on our website pays 4-6% of purchases, but Smile pays 0.5%. 0.5 is great if you're just making random purchases, but if you want to benefit my org, I'd much rather have you go through my link.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-16-17, 04:29 PM   #11

Lately, Women Have Options, an organization that helps women pay for abortions who couldn't otherwise afford them.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 03-16-17, 04:35 PM   #12
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

ACLU - Doctors without Borders - Planned Parenthood. All monthly donations..
Old 03-16-17, 05:35 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

I donate to he Cinefamily in L.A.
Old 03-16-17, 05:52 PM   #14
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GreenMonkey, very admirable for you to do this. With their spare money, many people would buy a new phone, or healthcare, I don't know.

My suggestions:
- Domestic: local Second Harvest food bank
- International: Oxfam, Doctors Without Borders
Old 03-16-17, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Lately, Women Have Options, an organization that helps women pay for abortions who couldn't otherwise afford them.
Thanks, great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
GreenMonkey, very admirable for you to do this. With their spare money, many people would buy a new phone, or healthcare, I don't know.

My suggestions:
- Domestic: local Second Harvest food bank
- International: Oxfam, Doctors Without Borders
Well, don't compliment me too much, I just ordered a 65" OLED, plenty selfish here. Just looking to kick a few dollars here and there to some nonprofits. But GM gave us a hefty bonus this year, and my wife has finally been putting her grad degrees to work the last couple of years. So I'm clearing out debt and starting to move out of the "poor folk living paycheck to paycheck with lots of credit card debt" zone for the first time in my life. Not there yet, but probably by end of year. Of course I don't have things tweaked right yet, so I get to give the IRS $4k next month also (ouch).

But with things going how they are going here in the U.S., I feel a lot of organizations are gonna need help soon. Maybe not now, but soon. I'm starting to look at who needs it the most. I'm sure there are others here that could use some ideas on who to give to also.
Old 03-16-17, 06:30 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Just a few suggestions:

Bethany Christian Services (adoption agency)

Indian Springs Community Food Bank

Hope House (shelter for unwed mothers that also provides education, transportation, medical needs, etc.)

Literacy Council (for teaching adults to read)

Hope Haven (homeless shelter for men & women; includes assistance in finding employment).

Various tutoring programs for kids in projects

Samaritan's Purse Disaster Relief

Abortion Alternatives Crisis Pregnancy Center

Voices of the Martyrs (assisting persecuted international Christian communities)

Rafiki Ministries (assisting orphans & widows in Africa)

Salvation Army

Big Brothers/Big Sisters

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-16-17 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 06:36 PM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep in mind there is other ways other than money to donate that are always needed.

I regularly do apheresis (white blood cells) donations to our local blood bank for cancer and aids patients.
Old 03-16-17, 06:47 PM   #18
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
But with things going how they are going here in the U.S., I feel a lot of organizations are gonna need help soon. Maybe not now, but soon. I'm starting to look at who needs it the most. I'm sure there are others here that could use some ideas on who to give to also.
I usually prefer to give to organizations that help people improve their lives (longer term assistance), but the way things are, sometimes you just have to give people food to eat. The need is always there, but as you said, sadly it might soon become greater.
Old 03-16-17, 06:51 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the concerns I have going forward is just how long are some of these charities are still going to be around if the current administration has their way. No amount of donations are going to save Planned Parenthood if they are legally shut down one way or the other.
Old 03-16-17, 07:07 PM   #20
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
One of the concerns I have going forward is just how long are some of these charities are still going to be around if the current administration has their way. No amount of donations are going to save Planned Parenthood if they are legally shut down one way or the other.
PP gets about 40% of funding from the government, so cut in government funding will hurt but will not cause them to shut down. I don't see how they can be legally shut down either. Maybe they will be prevented from providing abortion services, but they do a lot more things that don't get attention, good or bad.
Old 03-17-17, 04:25 AM   #21
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
This 11-year-old student is trying to positively change the image of reading to promote literacy among his peers.

He calls the program "Books N Bros".

He came up with the idea while visiting the EyeSeeMe bookstore in University City, Missouri. The store is packed with African-American Children's literature.

Sidney got inspired and immediately started formulating ideas with his mom. They decided to make their demographic 8-10 year olds, which is the tipping point when kids start to fall behind their peers when it comes to reading.

"Every time I go to the library at my school, there aren’t many African-American literature books there," Sidney said in an interview.

With a simple $20 membership fee, the boys get a book, worksheets that ask questions about the work they're reading, and refreshments.

He started the program in September and they've already read three books, "Danny Dollar", "Hidden Figures", and "Supah Dupah Kid".

http://distractify.com/trending/2017...H/books-n-bros

https://www.booksnbros.com/
Old 03-17-17, 06:22 AM   #22
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

My wife any I give most of our charitable contributions to local organizations that feed the hungry and ill (Manna and Philabundance for those in the Philly area). Other favorites are the ACLU, Stand Up To Cancer and Catholic Charities.
Old 03-17-17, 06:52 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Meals on Wheels

Habitat For Humanity

St. Jude's (or any health organization devoted to helping kids & parents of kids...thanks to Bandoman for reminder about cancer charities and similar organizations).
Old 03-17-17, 07:19 AM   #24
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
My wife any I give most of our charitable contributions to local organizations that feed the hungry and ill (Manna and Philabundance for those in the Philly area). Other favorites are the ACLU, Stand Up To Cancer and Catholic Charities.
Great point. Feeding America has one of the best bangs for your buck on how they spend the money. Something like $10 feeds 10 people. They really stretch your dollar. I've volunteered for them and donated as well.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 03-17-17, 02:11 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Oh, don't you worry. Charitable Orgs are like death and taxes. They will NEVER go away. Especially when there is money to be made in a world where you see disabled veterans (along with emotional music) being splashed on Conservative networks and defenseless animals on the Liberal networks (yes, more emotional heart-touching music).

And don't believe the biased hype over PP. It will not be shut down entirely.

But let's assume it is. I disagree that Americans could not fund a neo-Planned Parenthood, free from Government intrusion. They certainly could.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."