Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-17-17, 04:05 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Charitable donations thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I run a nonprofit, and Smile annoys me because everyone talks about it, and Amazon always pushes it. Using an Amazon associates link on our website pays 4-6% of purchases, but Smile pays 0.5%. 0.5 is great if you're just making random purchases, but if you want to benefit my org, I'd much rather have you go through my link.
Wow that's bullshit.
Old 03-17-17, 04:08 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

I would never give my money to NPR. The Los Angeles NPR station kcrw seems to be swimming in money. They make the most elaborately produced commercials I've ever seen. Their studios are decadently modern and awesome.

Oh and how is a PTO different than the PTA.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-17-17 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 05:03 PM   #28
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Oh, don't you worry. Charitable Orgs are like death and taxes. They will NEVER go away. Especially when there is money to be made in a world where you see disabled veterans (along with emotional music) being splashed on Conservative networks and defenseless animals on the Liberal networks (yes, more emotional heart-touching music).

And don't believe the biased hype over PP. It will not be shut down entirely.

But let's assume it is. I disagree that Americans could not fund a neo-Planned Parenthood, free from Government intrusion. They certainly could.
Old 03-17-17, 11:50 PM   #29
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those who are homeless because of their sexual orientation or are a member of the trans community:

http://nationalhomeless.org/issues/lgbt/
Old 03-18-17, 01:09 AM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I would never give my money to NPR. The Los Angeles NPR station kcrw seems to be swimming in money. They make the most elaborately produced commercials I've ever seen. Their studios are decadently modern and awesome.

Oh and how is a PTO different than the PTA.
I have to wonder how much funding is actually given to NPR from the US Government versus private donations.

I remember PBS getting into a controversy about their government funding being cut during the Obama Admin and come to find out they didn't get that much from the fed and most was from private donors, dispelling the myth they were in dire need of funds.

In fact, I think I remember NPR doing the same thing around the time PBS was, and they both had only a 15% contribution total from government funding. So in other words, NPR gets 85% of their cash from non-government sources.

That's why I ask, how could NPR claim they will be in a crisis without fed funding and turn off the lights and go home the next day. If they did, they'd be lying to their viewers and everyone who donated.

And people who say Trump is going to somehow put these organizations out of business...they're sadly mistaken and probably reading the latest CRISIS!!! headlines from those who want to simply spread fear.

I think this was back in 2013 when NPR and PBS did their End Of The World announcement.

FYI, I like PBS shows. However, they've become more like the local public channel preacher, proclaiming if they don't get money, things will be extremely bad.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-18-17 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 08:01 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another plug for Bethany Christian Services based upon information from an organization representative who gave a presentation last night at our church.

Although we have supported them for years, I mistakenly thought that they were just a local organization and were only about adoption. Boy, was I wrong.

Here's a link to their website which shows their national and international influence. https://www.bethany.org/

The speaker spend a lot of time talking about their services other than adoption. For instance, they place kids in crisis situations (parents going to jail or into hospital, abuse cases, etc.) in host homes (usually short term although the stay could be up to six months). The hosts don't receive any stipend and offer their services totally free. And Bethany partners with DCS to find short term homes for these kids...sometimes on only a few hours' notice.

She also mentioned the focus on keeping families intact. In places such as Haiti, that might involve supporting disaster relief. Other places where AIDS is rampant, it might involve financial support to help provide medications.

She almost mentioned that (ballpark figure) around 80% of birth mothers whom they help decide to keep their kids. And many don't know a lot of the basics of parenting, such as proper nutrition, so the agency's contact with them helps to give them the tools they need to become good parents.

One case she mentioned involved a dad whose wife had left him with two small kids. The dad was doing his best, but the household was a complete disorganized mess. When DCS did a welfare check, rather than taking the kids away, they contacted Bethany. Bethany contacted a church(es) whose members went out and helped clean up the house and get things organized and gave support that they dad needed (he was also depressed due to his wife's leaving). The upshot is that the situation was stabilized and the family remained intact, happy and healthy. And Bethany played a bit part in that.

Although our church and we as a couple have supported them in the past, I'm going to increase my support. They operate with a very small support staff who cover a tremendous amount of territory (one or two people serving hundreds of thousands of residents).