Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-16-17, 08:43 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Oklahoma GOP State Senator/Trump Supporter Ralph Shortey found in hotel with teen boy

Another member of the party that promotes family values bites the dust.

Sex, drug allegations part of investigation of state senator

http://newsok.com/sex-drug-allegatio...rticle/5541858

- Machiavelli
Old 03-16-17, 08:45 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Oklahoma GOP State Senator/Trump Supporter Ralph Shortey found in hotel with teen

Was the boy his cousin?
Old 03-16-17, 08:48 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Oklahoma GOP State Senator/Trump Supporter Ralph Shortey found in hotel with teen

Notice he didn't say "protects children from himself".

Look, I don't care what your sexual proclivities are but if you're going sell yourself to the white evangelicals in that manner then you deserve what you get.

edit: and "fights trans protections" is really a thing?
Old 03-16-17, 09:01 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's really a thing. That's what all these bathroom battles are about these days.
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

That man needs ... Jesus? Twinky underage confused Jesus.
Old 03-16-17, 09:55 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing how close Shortey is to Short eyes

Short Eyes, prison slang for a child molester
Old 03-16-17, 10:01 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Make America boyfuckers again.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 03-16-17, 10:05 AM   #8
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Amazing how close Shortey is to Short eyes

Short Eyes, prison slang for a child molester
How did that originate?
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 03-16-17, 10:14 AM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a fake news story! That picture clearly is of Donald Trump Jr, not a teen boy! People are so easily fooled.
Old 03-16-17, 10:50 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
How did that originate?
I'm guessing because they have eyes for short people, i.e. children. Also the title of a first-rate movie starring Bruce Davison.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-16-17, 11:38 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's hard to say how prison slang originates, Holmes
Old 03-16-17, 12:05 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Hit job by the liberal media.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-16-17, 01:01 PM   #13
DVD Talk Godfather

Woooow. These Self Hating struggling Down Lo Dudes who work to oppress Gays and Trans folks are pathetic.
Old 03-16-17, 02:14 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-16-17, 05:33 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-...053111912.html

Quote:
An Oklahoma state senator was booked Thursday on child prostitution charges for allegedly hiring a 17-year-old boy for sex, leading to calls for his resignation and a separate internal investigation into his years of work with a youth program.

Ralph Shortey, a 35-year-old conservative Republican who has a wife and three young daughters, surrendered to authorities on charges of engaging in child prostitution, transporting a minor for prostitution and engaging in prostitution within 1,000 feet of a church. He was released after about two hours on a $100,000 bond.

"I have no comment at this time, but I will soon," he told reporters outside of the jail.

Court records didn't show if he had retained an attorney, and Shortey didn't reply to texts and voicemails seeking comment.

The allegations led to Shortey's removal from his volunteer position with the Oklahoma City YMCA's Youth and Government program, in which he has been active for 17 years and served as a chaperone on several out-of-state trips, YMCA spokeswoman Brenda Bennett said. She said she was unaware of any allegations of wrongdoing involving Shortey's work for the program, but that the agency is conducting an internal investigation due to the nature of the criminal case.

Acting on a tip from the teen's father, police went to the Super 8 Hotel in the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore last week to check on the boy, who was seen going into a room with a man, according to a police report. The officers were told the boy had solicited sex through Craigslist on other occasions and had a history of drug abuse.

The officers smelled marijuana smoke coming from the room and found Shortey and the teen alone inside.

A search of the teen's tablet uncovered a series of sexually explicit exchanges in which Shortey referred to the teen as "baby boy" and offered him cash in exchange for "sexual stuff," according to a police report. The conversation had started with the teen messaging Shortey that he needed "money for spring break," police wrote. Officers also found lotion and an open box of condoms inside backpacks in the room.

Shortey and the teen both told the officers that they had known each other for about a year, having met through Craigslist and later communicating via the messenger application Kik, which has been criticized as being unsafe for minors.

The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16, but Oklahoma's child prostitution statute applies to any person under 18 years old. It's unclear from the police report or charging documents if Shortey and the teen actually had sex. But prosecutor Susan Caswell said her office wouldn't have to prove they did.

"Soliciting refers to offering money in exchange for sex," Caswell said. "You don't have to perform the act."

The state Senate imposed sanctions Wednesday on Shortey, voting 43-0 for a resolution that accused him of "disorderly behavior" and stripped him of much of his power and many perks. After his arrest Thursday, Republican Gov. Mary Fallin and the chamber's top Republican and Democrat called for Shortey's immediate resignation, saying he couldn't adequately serve his Oklahoma City district given the circumstances.

If he doesn't resign, Shortey, who was a county coordinator and early supporter of Donald Trump's presidential campaign, could be expelled with a two-thirds vote, or 32 members in the 48-member body.

During his seven years in the state Senate, Shortey built a name for himself by pushing bills targeting those living in the country illegally and expanding gun rights. He routinely voted with his Republican colleagues on bills targeting gay and transgendered people, including a measure passed earlier this year that would allow business owners to discriminate against gay people.

"He was never vitriolic about it, but he would make the bad votes," said Troy Stevenson, director of Freedom Oklahoma, a gay rights advocacy group.

Shortey faced fierce public criticism earlier this year when he sponsored a bill to stiffen the penalties for drug possession within 1,000 feet of a school or church, even after Oklahoma voters in November voted to make such crimes misdemeanors.

Before his arrest, Shortey was perhaps best known for introducing a bill in 2012 that would have banned the use of aborted human fetuses in food — a measure that drew widespread ridicule and was never granted a hearing in a Senate committee.
Old 03-16-17, 10:21 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, lets all worry about Laverne Cox in the womens' bathroom.

At least the predators in the GOP are god-fearing christians.

Wonder if Shortey is a top or a bottom.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-16-17, 10:25 PM   #17
DVD Talk Reviewer

To Shortey's credit, he probably couldn't think straight after eating so many fetuses.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1220 days 10 hours 25 minutes
Old 03-17-17, 02:10 AM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Before his arrest, Shortey was perhaps best known for introducing a bill in 2012 that would have banned the use of aborted human fetuses in food — a measure that drew widespread ridicule and was never granted a hearing in a Senate committee.
Wow, I would never have imagined that this could be a popular thing. Who knew Oklahoma was a haven for canibalism?

Last edited by Damfino; 03-17-17 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 10:24 AM   #19
DVD Talk Godfather

To be fair...Isn't age of consent 17 in OK?
Old 03-17-17, 10:26 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
To be fair...Isn't age of consent 17 in OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-...053111912.html

The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16, but Oklahoma's child prostitution statute applies to any person under 18 years old.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-17-17, 10:26 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
And you may find yourself
In a seedy motel room
with a beautiful boy with a beautiful joint

And you may ask yourself
How did I get here?
Old 03-17-17, 10:27 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
In a seedy motel room

And you may ask yourself
How did I get here?

- Machiavelli
Old 03-17-17, 12:09 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah it's hard to say how prison slang originates, Holmes
Elementary, my dear Watson, mang.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-17-17, 12:30 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
In a seedy motel room

And you may ask yourself
How did I get here?
Same as it ever was......same as it ever was.....same as it ever was....
Old 03-17-17, 12:50 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

And the gays go by...
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff