Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-16-17, 11:02 AM   #126
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

A comic so nice, it got posted twice!
Old 03-16-17, 11:20 AM   #127
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
But Duke doesn't operate a pizzeria. When he supports a political candidate and party, especially one that is clearly on the same page as Duke on many things, and he/they don't denounce him and his beliefs, then the that connection is 100% valid. YMMV.
Old 03-16-17, 11:39 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Could be my browser or a bad link, but that post shows up blank for me.
Old 03-16-17, 11:47 AM   #129
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. It's a weird link... not even a standard .jpg .png .gif or anything like that. And I'm not sure what the hosting site is... it's strange. Anyway...

It's a great comic. What's funny too is that when it started gaining traction in 2014/2015 one of the online groups it was in reference to decided to embrace the term (and still use it, subtly, on their reddit page). I remember that a bunch of them even pooled some money for a fundraiser for an actual sea lion to prove... something. I don't remember. Embracing the term (via the stuff mentioned or as an avatar, for example) is... an interesting choice.
Old 03-16-17, 02:47 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Now if we want to talk about Trump throwing out racist dogwhistles that appeal to people like Duke, that's a whole other thing and very worthy of noting and criticizing.
That's exactly what I'm saying - Trump and other Republicans' politics and actions encourage white supremacists like David Duke. If David Duke agrees with your political policies, in my opinion, you are on the wrong side.

Of course people can like the same things. But when a white supremacist is nodding his head at your political actions...well that would give me some pause as to who I support.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-16-17, 03:17 PM   #131
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But if David Duke agreed with Obama's policy of actively deporting illegal immigrants, does that mean Obama is a racist because he was enforcing the law? Or that you cannot support Obama even if you agree with his other policies.

Does David Duke agree that the size of government should be reduced? Or that there are too many regulations put on businesses or that the corporate tax rates are too high compared to other industrialized nations? I guess I really need to know this before I can support a politician.
Old 03-16-17, 03:38 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

A) I doubt Duke would support anything Obama promoted, even if he would when a white man proposed it.

B) Ideas like reducing the size of government aren't unique to Trump. Specifics like reducing or eliminated a particular program are. And again, if a white supremacist reacted positively to a specific policy, I would absolutely rethink that policy.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-16-17, 03:42 PM   #133
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
But if David Duke agreed with Obama's policy of actively deporting illegal immigrants, does that mean Obama is a racist because he was enforcing the law? Or that you cannot support Obama even if you agree with his other policies.

Does David Duke agree that the size of government should be reduced? Or that there are too many regulations put on businesses or that the corporate tax rates are too high compared to other industrialized nations? I guess I really need to know this before I can support a politician.
The issue of the David Duke thing could be solved if Trump simply and soundly denounced him, but instead he hems and haws and pretends he doesn't know who David Duke is because he wants to retain the support of his virulent supporters. If you feel that you can't win without the support of scum like that, this country has lost a piece of itself. That's what is pissing off a lot of people here.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 03-16-17, 04:01 PM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The issue of the David Duke thing could be solved if Trump simply and soundly denounced him, but instead he hems and haws and pretends he doesn't know who David Duke is because he wants to retain the support of his virulent supporters. If you feel that you can't win without the support of scum like that, this country has lost a piece of itself. That's what is pissing off a lot of people here.
This is a fair complaint. Trump kind of hemmed and hawed when asked about David Duke in that first interview, he has to own that. But regarding whether Duke supports an isolationist policy of deporting illegals and banning muslims from countries favorable to ISIS or whatever, I don't think I necessarily care about his opinion, same with what he thinks about smaller government or clean air policies.
Old 03-16-17, 04:04 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If David Duke agrees with your political policies, in my opinion, you are on the wrong side.
When you've got David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Steve King and others of their ilk on your side, also individuals like Steve Bannon & Jeff Sessions in your cabinet, something's not right.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-16-17, 04:48 PM   #136
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
When you've got David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Steve King and others of their ilk on your side, also individuals like Steve Bannon & Jeff Sessions in your cabinet, something's not right.
Good thing Obama didn't have any questionable people supporting him.
Old 03-16-17, 04:53 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Good thing Obama didn't have any questionable people supporting him.
Good thing Obama won by running a racist platform.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-16-17, 04:57 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that racist platform.

Here, I have TWO PAGES of racist platform material. It's right here in my hands. It's says RACIST on one page. And PLATFORM on the second page.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-16-17, 04:58 PM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I don't know. I'd say they're pretty much all right.
Old 03-16-17, 05:24 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, that racist platform.

Here, I have TWO PAGES of racist platform material. It's right here in my hands. It's says RACIST on one page. And PLATFORM on the second page.
When Trump announced his candidacy, he made a point of calling out Mexicans. He kept it up throughout the campaign and during the beginning of his Presidency.

So yeah, you're wrong.
Old 03-16-17, 05:38 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

I must've missed it in 2008 when Obama spoke derogatory about a certain group/race/religion and Jeremiah Wright was jumping for joy.

BUT OBAMA!!!

- Machiavelli
Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

The left claims to be against homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism but they want to bring in hundreds of thousands of homophobic, misogynistic, antisemetic refugees from the middle east. Obama is a bigot and anybody who supports him is a bigot. Thats why I feel no remorse when I beat an Obama supporter in the middle of the street with a metal pipe. They deserve it for their bigotry.
Old 03-16-17, 06:00 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No, three times. Three!

Pardon me, but I'd like to discuss that count with you....

Old 03-16-17, 06:10 PM   #144
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
The left claims to be against homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism but they want to bring in hundreds of thousands of homophobic, misogynistic, antisemetic refugees from the middle east.
Yup because the middle east has the market cornered on homophobia, misogyny and antisemetism.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-16-17, 06:13 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yup because the middle east has the market cornered on homophobia, misogyny and antisemetism.
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism? Seems like it, you bigot.
Old 03-16-17, 06:44 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism?
Sterilizing some of Trump's supporters would prevent those numbers from increasing.

- Machiavelli

Last edited by inri222; 03-16-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 09:01 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism? Seems like it, you bigot.
I don't. Trump supporters do, since they put one in office.
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I don't. Trump supporters do, since they put one in office.
Syrians are taught in school that jews are evil. An increase in refugees from Syria is an increase in the number of antisemitic people in this country. Do you think that they leave those beliefs at the border?
Old 03-16-17, 09:39 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Syrians are taught in school that jews are evil. An increase in refugees from Syria is an increase in the number of antisemitic people in this country. Do you think that they leave those beliefs at the border?
I'm sure some do, and if not we'll deal with it. Who knows, living here might show them a better way. Or we'll elect them to the highest office in the land.

Oh that's right, only US born racist misogynists can win the Presidency.
Old 03-17-17, 06:57 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Oh that's right, only US born racist misogynists can win the Presidency.
"How dayuh you slur President Obama, suh!"