Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-17, 11:02 AM   #126
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 13,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

A comic so nice, it got posted twice!
__________________
"water boils at 24 spins per second" is not wrong, because it is not even wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 11:20 AM   #127
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,130
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
But Duke doesn't operate a pizzeria. When he supports a political candidate and party, especially one that is clearly on the same page as Duke on many things, and he/they don't denounce him and his beliefs, then the that connection is 100% valid. YMMV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 11:39 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 32,919
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A comic so nice, it got posted twice!
Could be my browser or a bad link, but that post shows up blank for me.
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 11:47 AM   #129
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 13,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Fair enough. It's a weird link... not even a standard .jpg .png .gif or anything like that. And I'm not sure what the hosting site is... it's strange. Anyway...

It's a great comic. What's funny too is that when it started gaining traction in 2014/2015 one of the online groups it was in reference to decided to embrace the term (and still use it, subtly, on their reddit page). I remember that a bunch of them even pooled some money for a fundraiser for an actual sea lion to prove... something. I don't remember. Embracing the term (via the stuff mentioned or as an avatar, for example) is... an interesting choice.
__________________
"water boils at 24 spins per second" is not wrong, because it is not even wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 02:47 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Now if we want to talk about Trump throwing out racist dogwhistles that appeal to people like Duke, that's a whole other thing and very worthy of noting and criticizing.
That's exactly what I'm saying - Trump and other Republicans' politics and actions encourage white supremacists like David Duke. If David Duke agrees with your political policies, in my opinion, you are on the wrong side.

Of course people can like the same things. But when a white supremacist is nodding his head at your political actions...well that would give me some pause as to who I support.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 03:17 PM   #131
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,830
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

But if David Duke agreed with Obama's policy of actively deporting illegal immigrants, does that mean Obama is a racist because he was enforcing the law? Or that you cannot support Obama even if you agree with his other policies.

Does David Duke agree that the size of government should be reduced? Or that there are too many regulations put on businesses or that the corporate tax rates are too high compared to other industrialized nations? I guess I really need to know this before I can support a politician.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 03:38 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

A) I doubt Duke would support anything Obama promoted, even if he would when a white man proposed it.

B) Ideas like reducing the size of government aren't unique to Trump. Specifics like reducing or eliminated a particular program are. And again, if a white supremacist reacted positively to a specific policy, I would absolutely rethink that policy.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 03:42 PM   #133
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,130
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
But if David Duke agreed with Obama's policy of actively deporting illegal immigrants, does that mean Obama is a racist because he was enforcing the law? Or that you cannot support Obama even if you agree with his other policies.

Does David Duke agree that the size of government should be reduced? Or that there are too many regulations put on businesses or that the corporate tax rates are too high compared to other industrialized nations? I guess I really need to know this before I can support a politician.
The issue of the David Duke thing could be solved if Trump simply and soundly denounced him, but instead he hems and haws and pretends he doesn't know who David Duke is because he wants to retain the support of his virulent supporters. If you feel that you can't win without the support of scum like that, this country has lost a piece of itself. That's what is pissing off a lot of people here.
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:01 PM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,830
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The issue of the David Duke thing could be solved if Trump simply and soundly denounced him, but instead he hems and haws and pretends he doesn't know who David Duke is because he wants to retain the support of his virulent supporters. If you feel that you can't win without the support of scum like that, this country has lost a piece of itself. That's what is pissing off a lot of people here.
This is a fair complaint. Trump kind of hemmed and hawed when asked about David Duke in that first interview, he has to own that. But regarding whether Duke supports an isolationist policy of deporting illegals and banning muslims from countries favorable to ISIS or whatever, I don't think I necessarily care about his opinion, same with what he thinks about smaller government or clean air policies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:04 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,941
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If David Duke agrees with your political policies, in my opinion, you are on the wrong side.
When you've got David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Steve King and others of their ilk on your side, also individuals like Steve Bannon & Jeff Sessions in your cabinet, something's not right.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:48 PM   #136
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,281
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
When you've got David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Steve King and others of their ilk on your side, also individuals like Steve Bannon & Jeff Sessions in your cabinet, something's not right.
Good thing Obama didn't have any questionable people supporting him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:53 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,941
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Good thing Obama didn't have any questionable people supporting him.
Good thing Obama won by running a racist platform.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:57 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 49,555
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Yeah, that racist platform.

Here, I have TWO PAGES of racist platform material. It's right here in my hands. It's says RACIST on one page. And PLATFORM on the second page.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~1,050 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 04:58 PM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,373
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
When you've got David Duke, Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Steve King and others of their ilk on your side, also individuals like Steve Bannon & Jeff Sessions in your cabinet, something's not right.
I don't know. I'd say they're pretty much all right.
__________________
My Library - DVDProfiler
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:24 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, that racist platform.

Here, I have TWO PAGES of racist platform material. It's right here in my hands. It's says RACIST on one page. And PLATFORM on the second page.
When Trump announced his candidacy, he made a point of calling out Mexicans. He kept it up throughout the campaign and during the beginning of his Presidency.

So yeah, you're wrong.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:38 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,941
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

I must've missed it in 2008 when Obama spoke derogatory about a certain group/race/religion and Jeremiah Wright was jumping for joy.

BUT OBAMA!!!
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,237
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

The left claims to be against homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism but they want to bring in hundreds of thousands of homophobic, misogynistic, antisemetic refugees from the middle east. Obama is a bigot and anybody who supports him is a bigot. Thats why I feel no remorse when I beat an Obama supporter in the middle of the street with a metal pipe. They deserve it for their bigotry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 06:00 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,844
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A comic so nice, it got posted twice!
No, three times. Three!

Pardon me, but I'd like to discuss that count with you....

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 06:10 PM   #144
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,941
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
The left claims to be against homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism but they want to bring in hundreds of thousands of homophobic, misogynistic, antisemetic refugees from the middle east.
Yup because the middle east has the market cornered on homophobia, misogyny and antisemetism.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 06:13 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,237
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup because the middle east has the market cornered on homophobia, misogyny and antisemetism.
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism? Seems like it, you bigot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 06:44 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,941
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism?
Sterilizing some of Trump's supporters would prevent those numbers from increasing.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli

Last edited by inri222; 03-16-17 at 09:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 09:01 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Do you want an increase in homophobia, misogyny, and antisemitism? Seems like it, you bigot.
I don't. Trump supporters do, since they put one in office.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,237
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I don't. Trump supporters do, since they put one in office.
Syrians are taught in school that jews are evil. An increase in refugees from Syria is an increase in the number of antisemitic people in this country. Do you think that they leave those beliefs at the border?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 09:39 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,186
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Syrians are taught in school that jews are evil. An increase in refugees from Syria is an increase in the number of antisemitic people in this country. Do you think that they leave those beliefs at the border?
I'm sure some do, and if not we'll deal with it. Who knows, living here might show them a better way. Or we'll elect them to the highest office in the land.

Oh that's right, only US born racist misogynists can win the Presidency.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 06:57 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,844
Re: Demise of Public Civil Discourse Toward Opposing Viewpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Oh that's right, only US born racist misogynists can win the Presidency.
"How dayuh you slur President Obama, suh!"

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0