Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-12-17, 05:52 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pusher of Anti-LGBT Legislation Caught in Affair With Cousin

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/f...n-joey-hensley

Quote:
The details sound straight out of a soap opera.

A doctor and his younger nurse fall in love. They continue their torrid affair even after his ex-wife tips off the nurse’s husband, a local politician, to the salacious goings-on. As the divorce moves forward, discovery turns up that the nurse is not just the doctor’s employee and his lover, but his patient, with a predilection for pain pills. And, oh, she’s his second cousin, too.

But this is not General Hospital, not Grey’s Anatomy. This is the town of Hohenwald (pop. 3,703) in Lewis County, where bitter divorce proceedings have brought to light possibly unethical behavior by Dr. Joey Hensley, a Republican state senator who also happens to be a family physician — and one who has run for office since 2002 on a platform of conservative Christian values.

But according to the sworn testimony of both Barbers, Hensley has been having an affair with Lori since 2014. Lori, 48, is a part-time nurse in Hensley’s medical practice in Lewis County; she is also his second cousin.

Hensley gained national notoriety in 2012 as a sponsor of the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which would have banned public school teachers from even mentioning that homosexuality exists. During one hearing that year, Hensley commented, “I don’t think Modern Family is appropriate for children to watch” — because it features a married gay couple raising children. This session, Hensley is sponsoring a bill from the Tennessee Family Action Council that would make children created using donor sperm illegitimate — an attempt to make it harder for gay and lesbian parents to establish paternity. He is also a sponsor of the so-called “Milo Bill,” aimed at liberal practices on college campuses.
Of course the extreme irony here is all the goings on in the past from Conservative Christians about how people that support homosexual marriage must also support people marrying their cousins.

It's also a pretty clear example of example of what Conservative Christians want in regards to homosexuality and the media.

One has to wonder just how many fellow Conservative Christians should be thoroughly cleaning out their closets before telling the LGBT community to go back into theirs.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-12-17 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 06:38 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pusher of Anti-LGBT Legislation Caught in Affair With Cousin

at least he didn't mess around with a male cousin, that would've been the ultimate in irony
Old 03-12-17, 06:57 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think second cousins are such a taboo. My first cousins are the children of my parents' siblings. My second cousins are the children of my grandparents' siblings. This guy shouldn't be talking out his ass about anybody having sex outside of marriage if he is, but trying to "gotcha" him over a distant relative isn't cricket either, in my opinion.
Old 03-12-17, 07:57 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't FDR married to his second cousin?
Old 03-12-17, 08:12 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Cousins marrying isn't exactly unheard of in the entire history of civilization. Even recent history.

Dr. Senator is still a hypocrite doucheprick, but that's not entirely unheard of either.
Old 03-12-17, 08:14 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Wasn't FDR married to his second cousin?
That would be okay since he wasn't a "Conservative Christian."

Allegedly, both he and his wife carried on affairs, so that might be of more concern than any spousal blood relations.

I'm guessing that people having a problem with cousins marrying aren't big fans of PBS's "Victoria" on Masterpiece Theater.

Actually, I haven't heard any prohibitions against marrying second cousins, either from a civil standpoint or religious standpoint.

One of Joe Biden's sons is dating his widowed sister-in-law, and some people seem all upset about that and they aren't even related except by marriage. Don't see the big deal, especially since the brother is deceased.

Now, the adulterous affair would be a fair point of criticism. Imagine that...people can be hypocritical. News at eleven.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-12-17 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 08:25 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Nothin' says lovin' like marryin' your cousin.

Old 03-12-17, 08:50 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Cousin-fucking in Tennessee?

You don't say?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-12-17, 08:53 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

That's how they do it in real America.

Not all Trump supporters are racists & misogynists, but all of them decided that racism & misogyny weren't deal breakers.
Old 03-12-17, 09:34 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Cousin-fucking in Tennessee?

You don't say?
They do.

Old 03-12-17, 10:07 PM   #11

I've crossed paths with Hensley a couple of times a year (job-related) for the past 15+ years, and he always gave me the creeps. His political views were the polar opposite of mine, and the bills he sponsored pissed me off. However, considering it is Lewis County, fooling around with a cousin is least of that area's problems...
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
Old 03-13-17, 01:50 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I don't think second cousins are such a taboo. My first cousins are the children of my parents' siblings. My second cousins are the children of my grandparents' siblings. This guy shouldn't be talking out his ass about anybody having sex outside of marriage if he is, but trying to "gotcha" him over a distant relative isn't cricket either, in my opinion.
I don't think any state bars marriage between second cousins.

A fair number of states even allow first cousins to marry.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 03-13-17, 06:08 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Nothin' says lovin' like marryin' your cousin.

Old 03-13-17, 06:17 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That's how they do it in real America.

We cordially welcome you to the real America.