Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-03-17, 07:44 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Obama "Slush Fund" Scheme Is "Worse Than A Mafia Shakedown"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...shakedown.html

Quote:
The Obama administration funneled billions of dollars to activist organizations through a Department of Justice slush fund scheme, according to congressional investigators. "It’s clear partisan politics played a role in the illicit actions that were made," Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Texas, told Fox News. "The DOJ is the last place this should have occurred." Findings spearheaded by the House Judiciary Committee point to a process shrouded in secrecy whereby monies were distributed to a labyrinth of nonprofit organizations involved with grass-roots activism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckabee...
worse than a mafia shakedown, because at least if the mafia shakes you down for protection, your store doesn't burn down. This is a case where the liberals have played Robin Hood -- They've stolen from the government, taxpayers, and they've given to their pals. It is really outrageous.
Now it all makes sense. Distract from an upcoming scandal of amazing proportions and dollar amounts...and focus on unverified facts and accusations of Russian equivalency.

Now it all makes sense why key Democrats are so purposely distracted with the Trump Administration.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-03-17, 08:15 PM   #2
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Obama "Slush Fund" Scheme Is "Worse Than A Mafia Shakedown"

The article that you posted doesn't even adequately describe what happened or whether it is legal. Based on a different story that I just read at Fox News, this practice is apparently legal. Some Republicans supposedly want to end the practice, but others are probably singing a different tune given that the GOP is now in charge of the DOJ.

Quote:
When big banks are sued by the government for discrimination or mortgage abuse, they can settle the cases by donating to third-party non-victims. The settlements do not specify how these third-party groups could use the windfall.
Quote:
Both the Government Accountability Office and Congressional Research Service have concluded that the settlement agreements do not violate Congress’ power of the purse. But others disagree.
Quote:
While legislation sputtered last year, lawmakers have resurrected an effort to quash the practice with companion bills in the House and Senate.

“Democrats thought it was an attack on Obama,” said Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., speaking to Fox News. “This is not a Republican or Democrat issue, but one of good government. Actions settled by the federal government should go back to the federal government, back to the taxpayer.”

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 03-03-17 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 09:12 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, you've really blown the doors of this whole "giving money to charity" scandal.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-03-17, 09:47 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
...shrouded in secrecy whereby monies were distributed to a labyrinth of nonprofit organizations involved with grass-roots activism.
That makes it sound like they (the reporters) don't know where funds really went, and don't yet have proof of any sort. Which leaves it not much more substantiated than any given conspiracy theory.

How long has this been the process for the DOJ? Is it new under Obama (my guess is no)? Is there a verifiable paper trail? What's the spin on why this exists? Couldn't the offenders just pay the US government, in lieu of 'donating to charity'? Does it have something to do with not admitting guilt?

And it doesn't always appear to be "grass roots activism" groups. They also funnel funds to radical leftists groups like Fish and Game Departments.
Old 03-03-17, 09:56 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Polizei got tired of having his ass handed back to him in the alternative facts thread he had to start some bullshit thread to deflect. Sounds about right.

Old 03-03-17, 10:12 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see it like that. It's always interesting to find out how these things work. The DOJ allowing for "donations" in lieu of "fines" is quite interesting.

I can look at it objectively and ask questions. It's good that it was brought to light. I'd like to read about where this started, why this exists, where the money goes.
Old 03-04-17, 06:45 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I don't see it like that. It's always interesting to find out how these things work. The DOJ allowing for "donations" in lieu of "fines" is quite interesting.

I can look at it objectively and ask questions. It's good that it was brought to light. I'd like to read about where this started, why this exists, where the money goes.
It's interesting to imagine how all of the "speed trap hamlets" would behave if those fines didn't go straight to into their general fund. In a perfect world, no one responsible for the law should profit from enforcing it. Enforcement should be done solely for the good of society. Fines should only exist to punish (and fund clean up/repair from these specific activities), not fill coffers.
Old 03-04-17, 08:05 AM   #8
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I guess Polizei got tired of having his ass handed back to him in the alternative facts thread he had to start some bullshit thread to deflect. Sounds about right.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 03-04-17, 10:26 AM   #9
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

It's interesting to see how those things work, but when the OP says "The Democrats are talking about Russia to distract from this bombshell!" And it's not a bombshell and it's not the reason people are talking about Russia, that's deflection.
Old 03-04-17, 10:37 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Charitable donations in lieu of fines is the business equivalent of community service, and it happens at all levels. One of Trump scandals during the election was that he was using his foundation to make such donations for judgments leveled against Mar-a-lago in Florida.

I love how on the right "grass-roots" organizations are a huge boogieman. I guess that's an offshoot of "community organizer" becoming a dirty word. People working to make their community better is just horrible.
Old 03-04-17, 10:53 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Charitable donations in lieu of fines is the business equivalent of community service, and it happens at all levels. One of Trump scandals during the election was that he was using his foundation to make such donations for judgments leveled against Mar-a-lago in Florida.
Right, paying his fines with other people's money. Realistically I'm sure they knew they were lining Trump's pockets with it, but hey, they got a writeoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I love how on the right "grass-roots" organizations are a huge boogieman. I guess that's an offshoot of "community organizer" becoming a dirty word. People working to make their community better is just horrible.
That was the biggest load of bullshit. I remember Jon Stewart saying "Community organizers? Fuck you guys for trying to make lives better in your community!"
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-04-17, 11:27 AM   #12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The starting of this thread has the stink of desperation.
Old 03-04-17, 11:29 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
The starting of this thread has the stink of desperation.
most grundle DP threads do
Old 03-04-17, 11:54 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post