Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-02-17, 11:08 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Equal Rights Amendment = Genital Mutilation Free-For-All?

Yeah, I did a double-take too. Nevada is about to belatedly ratify the ERA, which at this point is just symbolic but some writer at the Las Vegas Review Journal (the local Las Vegas paper that just happens to be owned by the right-wing activist billionaire Sheldon Adelson) took it an opportunity to expound on all the Sodom and Gomorrah effects of allowing equal rights for men and women, and tactfully lays all the blame at the feet of the local Democrats :

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/co...tal-mutilation

Posted date February 28, 2017 - 4:54pmUpdated March 1, 2017 - 11:59am
Democrats support bill that would legalize female genital mutilation

By VICTOR JOECKS
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

The Nevada Senate will soon consider a bill that would overturn Nevada’s ban on female genital mutilation, and Senate Democrats are tripping over themselves to vote for it.

Why would anyone support rolling back a ban on something Nevada law defines as sexual abuse?

That’s one of the questions supporters of Senate Joint Resolution 2, the “Equal Rights Amendment” to the U.S. Constitution, should answer before voting on it as early as Wednesday. SJR2 sponsor Sen. Pat Spearman, D-Las Vegas, didn’t respond to my request for comment.

Congress passed the ERA in 1972 as a constitutional amendment, needing the approval of 38 state legislatures within seven years. Even after Congress bypassed constitutional procedure to extend the deadline by three years, only 35 states approved it. Nevada wasn’t one of them.

The amendment is short, and the key part says, “Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.”

The soundbite of equal rights is appealing. The details of the Equal Rights Amendment are appalling.

Female genital mutilation, also called female circumcision, is currently a felony in Nevada. It involves “removing or infibulating the clitoris, vulva, labia major or labia minor for nonmedical purposes.” Male circumcision is legal, and in the United States, around 80 percent of males are circumcised.

If the ERA passes, female circumcision wouldn’t merely be legal — it’d be a right protected by the U.S. Constitution. That’d be atrocious, but the ERA doesn’t make exceptions for preventing sexual abuse.

Worried about rape culture? The ERA would force our country to have single-sex prisons. The ERA means male and female sports in high school and college would be sex-integrated, along with fraternities, sororities, the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Forget the debate about transgender bathroom usage. Under the ERA, schools, businesses and churches could only offer single-sex public showers, locker rooms and bathrooms.

It would eliminate Social Security benefits for stay-at-home moms. Any military draft would have to include women, with some sent unwillingly to the front lines. It would require taxpayers to fund elective abortions. It would change Nevada’s nudity laws to allow topless women in public.

Fortunately, the deadline to ratify the ERA passed more than 30 years ago. Even Rep. Dina Titus, D-Nev., in her letter of support for SJR2, acknowledged that the bill is “symbolic at this point.”

Symbolic or not, any effort to remove a ban on female genital mutilation must be strongly opposed. Any claim by a politician after the fact that he or she didn’t understand all the implications of the ERA doesn’t fly.

A previous version of this column incorrectly identified the party affiliation and district location of Rep. Dina Titus.

Victor Joecks’ column appears in the Nevada section each Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Contact him at vjoecks@reviewjournal.com. Follow @victorjoecks on Twitter.

Last edited by Decker; 03-02-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 11:32 PM   #2
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Equal Rights Amendment = Genital Mutilation Free-For-All?

Pretty soon they'll be legalizing murder! Slippery Slope!

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1306 days 5 hours 43 minutes
Old 03-03-17, 06:24 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Pretty soon they'll be legalizing murder! Slippery Slope!
Can't happen. As we have been informed repeatedly in other threads, as soon as it is legalized, it no longer becomes "murder."

We have millions of legalized "killings" going on in this country, but let's be sure that we get the legal terms right.
Old 03-03-17, 06:37 AM   #4
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Can't happen. As we have been informed repeatedly in other threads, as soon as it is legalized, it no longer becomes "murder."

We have millions of legalized "killings" going on in this country, but let's be sure that we get the legal terms right.
Old 03-03-17, 07:15 AM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this a news story or an editorial? If it's news, I can't tell what the he'll is going on. Conjecture, hasty generalizations, burying the lead, and vague seemingly on purpose. I don't get wherected the headline matches the story.

If it's an editorial, wow, is that a click bait title with a verbal vomit body.

Seriously, what is that article even saying and how is it backing that point up?
Old 03-03-17, 07:22 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Is this a news story or an editorial? If it's news, I can't tell what the he'll is going on. Conjecture, hasty generalizations, burying the lead, and vague seemingly on purpose. I don't get wherected the headline matches the story.
What the he'ck is wherected?
Old 03-03-17, 11:03 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
Any military draft would have to include women, with some sent unwillingly to the front lines.
That's true right now. The Supreme Court ruled in 1981 that women didn't have to be included in the selective service system because the military did not consider them capable of serving on the front lines.

Quote:
In the majority opinion, Justice William Rehnquist wrote "[t]he existence of the combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration. The purpose of registration was to prepare for a draft of combat troops. Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them."
But the Obama administration changed the military's policy to allow women in combat, which invalidates the SCOTUS opinion. If anybody cared enough to bring a lawsuit today, the courts would almost certainly require women to register for the draft.
Old 03-03-17, 09:02 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Just do away with the fucking selective service and draft altogether.

I am nobody's fucking stormtrooper.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-04-17, 09:04 AM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My dad was drafted in WWII. He broke his wrist as a kid and it wasn't set perfectly straight. This disqualified him for combat but they still took him. They made him an MP. He also was a guard at a POW camp in France.

I always thought there were several ratings ranging from 1-A (qualified for combat) to 4-F(won't take you at all).
Old 03-04-17, 10:48 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
My dad was drafted in WWII. He broke his wrist as a kid and it wasn't set perfectly straight. This disqualified him for combat but they still took him. They made him an MP. He also was a guard at a POW camp in France.

I always thought there were several ratings ranging from 1-A (qualified for combat) to 4-F(won't take you at all).
The number of men who aren't qualified for combat but can perform other duties is a small fraction of the total. If women were drafted even though none of them were allowed in combat, that'd mean half the military couldn't fight.
Old 03-04-17, 01:39 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The number of men who aren't qualified for combat but can perform other duties is a small fraction of the total. If women were drafted even though none of them were allowed in combat, that'd mean half the military couldn't fight.
From what I can remember, about 15% of women are in the US military. The other 85% is men. These are active duty.

If women were drafted, but none of them were allowed in combat...you'd barely notice. At least on the front lines. Most of them are in the medical, supply, and administrative...and since those are not combat positions...you wouldn't notice the change.

So saying half the military couldn't fight if women were not allowed to fight...is conspicuously ridiculous.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-04-17, 02:31 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
From what I can remember, about 15% of women are in the US military. The other 85% is men. These are active duty.

If women were drafted, but none of them were allowed in combat...you'd barely notice. At least on the front lines. Most of them are in the medical, supply, and administrative...and since those are not combat positions...you wouldn't notice the change.

So saying half the military couldn't fight if women were not allowed to fight...is conspicuously ridiculous.
That's not even close to what I'm saying.
Old 03-04-17, 08:11 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I hope not, because I wrote the comment.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-04-17, 08:18 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, let me know if I am interpreting this correctly:

Nevada wants to pass the Equal Rights Amendment.

Some person thinks that since male circumcision is legal, passing the ERA would automatically make female circumcision legal.

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Couldn't you make the same argument that male circumcision would be illegal with the ERA?

Last edited by joeblow69; 03-04-17 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 08:30 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes I stare at the moon, and, like, wonder if the missing part of my wiener is staring at the same moon.