Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-17, 09:20 AM   #76
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: #AlternativeFacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Other than to point out you are constantly seeking citations from others while offering none of your own, no.

Looking into a mirror can be painful if you don't like what you see. JasonX 1:1
Okay, so you actually did think you had a purpose. Therefore, I'll give you an answer and see if you really wanted an answer or were just asking rhetorically.

Persons here are constantly stating opinions as though they are facts. One of the currently-favored tactics is to state what "they" (or "he") feels, thinks, or believes about something...all based upon the poster's impressions or imaginings (which are often exactly opposite of what is actually true). Of course, those impressions & imaginings are overwhelmingly negative...a coincidence, I'm sure.

That's why citations are requested.

On the other hand, a question was asked about why Christians would want Christianity brought into educational settings. What benefit would that be?

And I provided what was obviously a belief or opinion, which is what was requested. To me, it's like asking, "Why study The Odyssey?" The cultural benefit is not something that shows up on standardized testing measurements. The same could be said for "Why teach civics?" Or "Why should we have arts programs in schools?"

So of course it was an opinion. No citation needed for opinions. However, they should be stated as opinions, not presented as facts.

For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. Hebrews 10:14
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 09:29 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: #AlternativeFacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
While you're answer is longer than Abob's, it's not actually different. It's just some theological handwaving that makes no sense to anyone who doesn't subscribe to your religion.
Well, the question was directed toward Christians and answered from a Christian standpoint.

The ultimate goal is the same..."because God." You are & Abob are correct in that since what humans think is irrelevant. I was simply finishing the statement and explaining "Why God?" from a Christian standpoint. Without God, life has no more ultimate meaning than a hamster wheel. We simply run until we give out...and what does it matter whether we run or not or even whether we or the wheel exists or not?

It's also like the old bumper sticker, "God says it, I believe it, that settles it." The sentiment may be well-intentioned, but the theological underpinnings are suspect.

A biblical view would be "God says it, that settles it." Because it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else thinks...it doesn't change God's truth. And, frankly, God is not accountable to humans according to His Word. On the other hand, all humans are accountable to Him.

That's my belief, btw, but it's presented as fact in the Bible.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 09:48 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

While we're adding opinions (and since we're all friends here ), I'll throw in a couple of opinions based upon observations from posts on this board.

I hear the word "insecurity" charged against conservative Christians. While there is a certain amount of apprehension about what we see in our nation today, may I point out that a cursory glance of the political threads display a remarkable amount of apprehension about the future of our nation today. And it even comes from completely secular people...including many who spent years here mocking the idea that God sends judgment upon nations.

And yet...now we hear that the sky is falling, our republic is in danger of disappearing, the world itself may come to an end. Apocalyptic forebodings are in vogue, and secular prophets are having a field day.

Ironic, is it not?

Now, except for those arguing that basic survival instincts are genetically kicking in, from a philosophical standpoint, what does it matter to an atheist whether the world ends or not? It's just a by-product of evolution. If we have progressed to the standpoint of creating weapons that would allow us to destroy civilizations and environments, then that's just "natural," right? No "good" or "bad" about it...it just is. Why complicate things by attaching moral judgements to what occurs? To paraphrase what others have said, we (humans, living creatures) have no more cosmic significance than rocks or dust, anyway.

Another observation. In addition to the hostility toward God which has always existed, I sense a significant amount of fear in some posts. Not fear of future natural events, mind you, but fear and questioning re: their eternal destinies. And that can be a good thing if the uncertainty about one's own beliefs is Spirit-driven and drives one to a Savior.

All the opinions in the world do not matter when measured against the price of one soul.

36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Mark 8:36-37
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 10:27 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,302
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
While we're adding opinions (and since we're all friends here ), I'll throw in a couple of opinions based upon observations from posts on this board.

I hear the word "insecurity" charged against conservative Christians. While there is a certain amount of apprehension about what we see in our nation today, may I point out that a cursory glance of the political threads display a remarkable amount of apprehension about the future of our nation today. And it even comes from completely secular people...including many who spent years here mocking the idea that God sends judgment upon nations.

And yet...now we hear that the sky is falling, our republic is in danger of disappearing, the world itself may come to an end. Apocalyptic forebodings are in vogue, and secular prophets are having a field day.

Ironic, is it not?

Now, except for those arguing that basic survival instincts are genetically kicking in, from a philosophical standpoint, what does it matter to an atheist whether the world ends or not? It's just a by-product of evolution. If we have progressed to the standpoint of creating weapons that would allow us to destroy civilizations and environments, then that's just "natural," right? No "good" or "bad" about it...it just is. Why complicate things by attaching moral judgements to what occurs? To paraphrase what others have said, we (humans, living creatures) have no more cosmic significance than rocks or dust, anyway.

Another observation. In addition to the hostility toward God which has always existed, I sense a significant amount of fear in some posts. Not fear of future natural events, mind you, but fear and questioning re: their eternal destinies. And that can be a good thing if the uncertainty about one's own beliefs is Spirit-driven and drives one to a Savior.

All the opinions in the world do not matter when measured against the price of one soul.
37
What answer are you expecting? If you don't believe in God (and I don't), then your questions are pointless.

For example, I hate the musical Grease. It's in my top 3 most hated musicals of all time (#1 is Sound of Music, #2 is Annie). Yet I have a musical theater acquaintance who has written pages of text about how incredible Grease is and what it was saying about the time period where it was written. Once when I complained about the show on Facebook, he sent me his article. I read it. It was interesting. I still fucking hate Grease.

That's what it feels like to me when you pull out your Bible verses or say things like if you don't believe in God, then what's the point of living? I do not subscribe to your worldview. I think you are 100% completely and totally wrong. I KNOW I enjoy my life and love the people in it. I'm not stupid. I'm not naive. I have heard every theological argument you've ever put forth many many MANY times before and it's never convinced me of the existence of an invisible sky man. I will enjoy my time on this planet as much as I can, and when I'm gone, I'm gone. And I am COMPLETELY fine with that. It doesn't diminish how I feel about myself or my life.

I doubt I could convince you of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, despite there being plenty of "evidence". Your statements sound just like someone trying to convince me of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 10:38 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 12,601
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Wait a minute ... the Loch Ness Monster isn't real? What about professional wrestling? Oh, you guys are ruining my day!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 10:40 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
What answer are you expecting? If you don't believe in God (and I don't), then your questions are pointless.

For example, I hate the musical Grease. It's in my top 3 most hated musicals of all time (#1 is Sound of Music, #2 is Annie). Yet I have a musical theater acquaintance who has written pages of text about how incredible Grease is and what it was saying about the time period where it was written. Once when I complained about the show on Facebook, he sent me his article. I read it. It was interesting. I still fucking hate Grease.

That's what it feels like to me when you pull out your Bible verses or say things like if you don't believe in God, then what's the point of living? I do not subscribe to your worldview. I think you are 100% completely and totally wrong. I KNOW I enjoy my life and love the people in it. I'm not stupid. I'm not naive. I have heard every theological argument you've ever put forth many many MANY times before and it's never convinced me of the existence of an invisible sky man. I will enjoy my time on this planet as much as I can, and when I'm gone, I'm gone. And I am COMPLETELY fine with that. It doesn't diminish how I feel about myself or my life.

I doubt I could convince you of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, despite there being plenty of "evidence". Your statements sound just like someone trying to convince me of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.
You may have read the arguments many times, Draven, but it appears that you have missed a crucial point.

I'm not attempting, on my own, to convince anyone to believe anything. That would be anti-biblical and taking credit for a supernatural work that can only be done by the power of the Holy Spirit. To say that "I" did anything other than to be a vessel or conduit for presenting God's truth would be stealing God's glory.

But the question about the logical underpinnings of why an atheist should care (morally or logically) about what happens is quite relevant. One could argue from a purely instinctual standpoint that all creatures are programmed to try to survive as long as possible, and no rational person looks forward to pain (apologies to BDSM folks here). As the great theologian R.C. Sproul puts it, "I have no fear of death. It's the dying process that bothers me."

But as far as why an atheist should logically care about what happens to a group of rocks, that's a poser. If we all cease to exist, nothing has changed. We appeared magically for no discernible cause or explainable reason, existed for a time, and then disappeared. That's a reason for existing...to exist? That sounds like sophistry to me.

As is the question about what basis of morality is relied upon when an unbeliever makes value judgements not only for himself/herself but for other humans...which, you must admit, atheists on this board do all the time...is another poser. What makes "your" ideas about morality superior to anyone else's?

The "Everyone Knows" principle is obviously false since, if that were true, then everyone would behave in accordance with the same principles. Either that, or an awful lot of people are violating their own principles.

Do you not think that is relevant when applying value judgments to laws, governments, politics, education, or anything else discussed on this forum? Or is everyone simply expressing an opinion while saying, "Now, I could be wrong, but...." Reading your statement above, it doesn't appear that you are considering any possibility that you could be wrong.

14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. I Corinthians 2:14

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-16-17 at 10:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 10:46 AM   #82
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,503
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Now, except for those arguing that basic survival instincts are genetically kicking in, from a philosophical standpoint, what does it matter to an atheist whether the world ends or not? It's just a by-product of evolution. If we have progressed to the standpoint of creating weapons that would allow us to destroy civilizations and environments, then that's just "natural," right? No "good" or "bad" about it...it just is. Why complicate things by attaching moral judgements to what occurs? To paraphrase what others have said, we (humans, living creatures) have no more cosmic significance than rocks or dust, anyway.

Another observation. In addition to the hostility toward God which has always existed, I sense a significant amount of fear in some posts. Not fear of future natural events, mind you, but fear and questioning re: their eternal destinies. And that can be a good thing if the uncertainty about one's own beliefs is Spirit-driven and drives one to a Savior.

All the opinions in the world do not matter when measured against the price of one soul.

36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Mark 8:36-37
That's an incredibly twisted worldview. Christians don't own morality. The golden rule was around ages before it was attributed to Jesus.

I'm "good" because I know for a fact that this world is all that any of us will ever have, and I'd like it to be a better place. I'm not doing it for some otherworldly reward. I'd like the world to stick around because I've loved my time here and I'd like future generations to be able to do the same. I don't see why that desire needs to have any connection with the Christian god or heaven.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 10:51 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
That's an incredibly twisted worldview. Christians don't own morality. The golden rule was around ages before it was attributed to Jesus.

I'm "good" because I know for a fact that this world is all that any of us will ever have, and I'd like it to be a better place. I'm not doing it for some otherworldly reward. I'd like the world to stick around because I've loved my time here and I'd like future generations to be able to do the same. I don't see why that desire needs to have any connection with the Christian god or heaven.
I think you're missing the point. You say that you have your definition of "good"...but don't you apply that same definition toward others who have different definitions? When you say "morality," aren't you talking about your morality? To paraphrase you, "You don't own morality." What happens when the morality of others run into opposition with yours?

Laws are based upon someone's ideas of morality. So who gets to decide whose "morality" is imposed upon others?

Also, how do you know "for a fact" that this world is all there is?

For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-16-17 at 10:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:00 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 34,934
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Wait a minute ... the Loch Ness Monster isn't real? What about professional wrestling? Oh, you guys are ruining my day!
At least we know the Blair Witch exists.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:02 AM   #85
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,503
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

You always think everyone is missing the point.

Honestly, I don't care about other people's definitions of morality. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Society gets to decide what's legal. Everyone makes their own decisions on what is moral. If I run into someone who does something legally wrong toward me, I'll let the courts deal with it. If it just offends my sense of morality, I likely won't associate with them. That's it.

I believed in god for years. I understand looking at everything through that lens. But having lived in both worlds now, I can say that my life isn't lacking meaning. It isn't lacking direction. I don't need a heavenly reward. This life is the reward.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:04 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,302
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
You may have read the arguments many times, Draven, but it appears that you have missed a crucial point.

I'm not attempting, on my own, to convince anyone to believe anything. That would be anti-biblical and taking credit for a supernatural work that can only be done by the power of the Holy Spirit. To say that "I" did anything other than to be a vessel or conduit for presenting God's truth would be stealing God's glory.

But the question about the logical underpinnings of why an atheist should care (morally or logically) about what happens is quite relevant. One could argue from a purely instinctual standpoint that all creatures are programmed to try to survive as long as possible, and no rational person looks forward to pain (apologies to BDSM folks here). As the great theologian R.C. Sproul puts it, "I have no fear of death. It's the dying process that bothers me."

But as far as why an atheist should logically care about what happens to a group of rocks, that's a poser. If we all cease to exist, nothing has changed. We appeared magically for no discernible cause or explainable reason, existed for a time, and then disappeared. That's a reason for existing...to exist? That sounds like sophistry to me.

As is the question about what basis of morality is relied upon when an unbeliever makes value judgements not only for himself/herself but for other humans...which, you must admit, atheists on this board do all the time...is another poser. What makes "your" ideas about morality superior to anyone else's?

The "Everyone Knows" principle is obviously false since, if that were true, then everyone would behave in accordance with the same principles. Either that, or an awful lot of people are violating their own principles.

Do you not think that is relevant when applying value judgments to laws, governments, politics, education, or anything else discussed on this forum? Or is everyone simply expressing an opinion while saying, "Now, I could be wrong, but...." Reading your statement above, it doesn't appear that you are considering any possibility that you could be wrong.

14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. I Corinthians 2:14
Of course I could be wrong. Christians have been wrong before. For example, about their treatment of black people. But if you went back and time and asked them why, they'd present arguments just as convincing and rooted in theology as you do for the issues you rail against today.

I think the ultimate goal should be to do our best to accommodate people without infringing on the individual freedoms of other people.

Same-sex marriage is the perfect example - it only affects the people getting married. Someone on the other side of the country who will never get married to a person of the same sex shouldn't be able to dictate who others choose to marry. We fixed that one (well, until Mike Pence throws the gays into a reprogramming camp).

Slavery is wrong - we fixed it. Unequal rights for women is wrong - we fixed it. We fix things as we learn and grow as a people. The idea that the Bible had it all figured out when it was written and we should continue to follow rules laid down by people who didn't have nearly our understanding of the world is asinine.

To quote Men in Black:

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:07 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,670
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
That's an incredibly twisted worldview. Christians don't own morality. The golden rule was around ages before it was attributed to Jesus.

I'm "good" because I know for a fact that this world is all that any of us will ever have, and I'd like it to be a better place. I'm not doing it for some otherworldly reward. I'd like the world to stick around because I've loved my time here and I'd like future generations to be able to do the same. I don't see why that desire needs to have any connection with the Christian god or heaven.
Well said. No matter how many time the same old all atheists, and de facto atheists (all religions not his specific demonination,) are immoral screeds have been posted they still make no sense. What's clear is that his understanding of atheists has not improved one iota over the years.

Or to put it a different way: I'll take somebody that believes “Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching” over somebody that does the right thing because the sky fairy is always watching any day, and twice on Sunday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:08 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 34,783
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
For example, I hate the musical Grease. It's in my top 3 most hated musicals of all time (#1 is Sound of Music, #2 is Annie). Yet I have a musical theater acquaintance who has written pages of text about how incredible Grease is and what it was saying about the time period where it was written. Once when I complained about the show on Facebook, he sent me his article. I read it. It was interesting. I still fucking hate Grease.
While they're not my favorites, I like all those shows. This thread has taken a dark turn.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:10 AM   #89
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,024
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I doubt I could convince you of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, despite there being plenty of "evidence". Your statements sound just like someone trying to convince me of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.
There isn't enough food in Loch Ness to support a breeding population of large predators.

Also, the entire loch has been drug by sonar end-to-end and revealed nothing large moving around in it.

__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:10 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,302
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
There isn't enough food in Loch Ness to support a breeding population of large predators.

Also, the entire loch has been drug by sonar end-to-end and revealed nothing large moving around in it.
But what if I REALLY believe it?
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:40 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
You always think everyone is missing the point.

Honestly, I don't care about other people's definitions of morality. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Society gets to decide what's legal. Everyone makes their own decisions on what is moral. If I run into someone who does something legally wrong toward me, I'll let the courts deal with it. If it just offends my sense of morality, I likely won't associate with them. That's it.

I believed in god for years. I understand looking at everything through that lens. But having lived in both worlds now, I can say that my life isn't lacking meaning. It isn't lacking direction. I don't need a heavenly reward. This life is the reward.
No, not everyone.

Your Bible quote is a good one. I agree that biblical standards should apply to all people. See, we can agree!

But as for your comment about "society" deciding what is moral, could you be more specific? Surely you agree that allcitizens (and, evidently, non-citizens) make up our society. So when members of society disagree upon what is good and what is bad, how can we say that 'society' decides?

If a majority in 2016 decided something was right and a majority in 2017 decides something is wrong, does that mean that right & wrong changed? Some here appeal to the Constitution...the same Constitution which recognizes the electoral college. That didn't stop some of them from protesting the POTUS election on the basis of the popular vote.

Even the Constitution can be amended. Does that mean that circumstances before the amendments were moral, but became immoral after changes were made?

When you say "This life is the reward," is that just another way of saying that the purpose of life is to exist for a time and then disappear? Would it matter if humans had never existed? If we simply appear (without any explanation as to how everything started or why) and then eventually disappear, what was the point? Sure, we can say that the purpose of eating an ice cream cone is to enjoy it, but is that really the purpose of life? Seems sort of selfish, does it not?

Also, I think you have misrepresented the main purpose of life for those who take a biblical approach. I'll just point to the summation of biblical doctrine from the first question of the Westminster cathechism.

Q: What is the chief end of man?
A: To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Note the order of purpose. What greater purpose could one have than to glorify the Creator through serving Him and His creation?

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:44 AM   #92
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 51,833
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Oh for fuck's sake, creek must have these arguments saved in a word doc so he can just copy and paste them. They weren't convincing the first thousand times he posted them, and it appears he hasn't developed any new material in all these years.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:48 AM   #93
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Of course I could be wrong.
Agreement!!!

The main questions are being avoided (for good reason).

If "morality" is a by-product of evolution, then why do not all persons & societies agree?

If morality is decided by majority, then is the term only a label applied to reflect popular opinion rather than ultimate truth?

If morality changes, can it change back? In that case, shouldn't we always add the qualifier "currently" when identifying what is "moral?"

If the purpose of life is merely to exist, what does it matter what we do as long as it prolongs our existence?

(And that's just scratching the surface, so I'll pause without getting into the really deep questions).

5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. Romans 8:5
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:54 AM   #94
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 4,891
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Oh for fuck's sake, creek must have these arguments saved in a word doc so he can just copy and paste them. They weren't convincing the first thousand times he posted them, and it appears he hasn't developed any new material in all these years.
I'm not sure why you guys even argue with him. Especially directly on religion.

Creek seems to live in a separate reality divorced from anyone's opinion but his own, or at least divorced of any reality that isn't acknowledged by his little branch of Christianity. Kinda like Trump, you're not going to convince him of anything, ever.

I get the point of engaging with people that are interested in listening, or acknowledging others' viewpoints. There's a lot of conservative / liberal / libertarian viewpoints here, and plenty of folks' opinions drift or change. Not a lot, but some.

But with creekdipper it is ALWAYS just a page-long sermon, no matter what the topic. I'm sure if we had a thread on pollution and the EPA somehow it would come back to "God won't let his planet be ruined by climate change" or something.
__________________
"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:56 AM   #95
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 51,833
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

It's like arguing with a chatbot. The responses are canned and circular. And this particular chatbot also happens to have a superiority complex and a martyr complex.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:00 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,134
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

Creek seems to live in a separate reality divorced from anyone's opinion but his own, or at least divorced of any reality that isn't acknowledged by his little branch of Christianity. Kinda like Trump, you're not going to convince him of anything, ever.
Citation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:05 PM   #97
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,005
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'm not sure why you guys even argue with him. Especially directly on religion.
In that case, I'm not sure why, rather than offering your own answers, you took the time to write four paragraphs discussing another forum member when you could be offering a rebuttal.

I'll even offer a tiny response to your non-response: One can acknowledge that others have different viewpoints without agreeing that those viewpoints have any merit. If that were the case, then hardly anyone here ever acknowledges anyone else's viewpoints. If you have any doubts about that, just look how many declare others to be "wrong" and how many ever say, "You know...you might be right about that." That only makes sense given that the views expressed are often in direct opposition.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. I Corinthians 13:11
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:09 PM   #98
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 51,833
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

It's not worth our time to rebut arguments based on faulty premises, except to point out that the premise is faulty. You however have refused to ever acknowledge the faults in your arguments, making arguing, debating, or even discussing these issues with you a futile exercise. And since you've persisted in the same nonsense here for over a decade, at a certain point we can do nothing more than counsel others that talking to you is like arguing with a stone wall, although the stone wall would at least be less sanctimonious and more gracious, and wouldn't sea lion so much.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:18 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 34,934
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe.
And 4500 years before that, the earth didn't even exist.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:21 PM   #100
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,503
Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
In that case, I'm not sure why, rather than offering your own answers, you took the time to write four paragraphs discussing another forum member when you could be offering a rebuttal.

I'll even offer a tiny response to your non-response: One can acknowledge that others have different viewpoints without agreeing that those viewpoints have any merit. If that were the case, then hardly anyone here ever acknowledges anyone else's viewpoints. If you have any doubts about that, just look how many declare others to be "wrong" and how many ever say, "You know...you might be right about that." That only makes sense given that the views expressed are often in direct opposition.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. I Corinthians 13:11
In your other responses, you're mixing up legality and morality. I think you're also confusing atheism and nihilism.

I think people become frustrated with arguing with you because your questions make people think that you don't want to understand them, more that you're looking for a "gotcha". You keep ascribing nihilistic views to people, completely ignoring their words.

Also, I'm sure part of the objection to your bible quote semi-signature is that they're frequently used for petty insults, like the one above.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0