Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-15-17, 04:53 PM   #26
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: #AlternativeFacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
The truth is always interesting, Dan.

"and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32
Ed: Do you own a video camera?
Renee Madison: No. Fred hates them.
Fred Madison: I like to remember things my own way.
Ed: What do you mean by that?
Fred Madison: How I remembered them. Not necessarily the way they happened.
Old 02-15-17, 04:54 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That's a very interesting interpretation of how that played out.
I heard that if you use large space and italics you don't get as many spreading the gospel points.
Old 02-15-17, 04:55 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Hmmm.

Before I answer and point out that the Christian schools with which I am acquainted offer a classical education with rigorous requirements in all disciplines, may I point out that (ironically) I had just today started to include my Bible quotes. They take extra time to select and slow down the posting, but I enjoy doing that.

May I point out that it doesn't appear that anyone has any problem with people including anti-religious quotes, posting anti-religious posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the topics, or even have adopted blasphemous online names ("King of the Jews") while constantly, obsessively posting anti-religious messages...yet those "advertisements" don't seem troubling.

I find it rather odd that Christians can "endure" such blatant, overt anti-religious messages without complaint, yet the posting of Bible quotes is found to be like holy water to a vampire by those with extreme antipathy toward religion.

But I can promise you this. Although I stopped posting Bible quotes temporarily specifically to avoid infuriating the easily-offended and censorship-minded, any future posting of Bible quotes won't be predicated upon anyone else's approval or disapproval. I made it extremely easy to avoid reading them by relegating them to the bottom of posts, separated by a large space & italicized. That didn't suit critics, so I removed the space & the italics (which only made them harder to ignore). Then I removed them entirely...and guess what? The anti-religious posts didn't let up one bit...if anything, they have increased.

People here routinely post outright lies, profane insults toward members, blasphemous comments, nonsense & trolling comments, etc. But the one thing that sets you off is Bible quotations?

Now...before any Bible quotes resume, exactly what educational proposals do you find objectionable?

I'm teaching a Sunday School class on Calvin and Culture which demonstrates the influence which Reformed theology has had on art, science, literature, medicine, economics, law, business, music, political science, government and other disciplines. Perhaps instead of railing against religion, those who owe a huge dept for their freedoms to systematic theology and use of logic & reason might want to investigate history.
There used to be a few people who "signed" their posts - even though you could see who wrote them. That's what your quotes felt like - and sometimes they'd be longer than what you posted, so you're making people scroll past and try to figure out what is a post and what is a quote, which makes for a cluttered reading experience.

It's like typing in all caps - of course you could do it, but it's annoying to look at.
Old 02-15-17, 04:56 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Ed: Do you own a video camera?
Interesting conversation...I suppose. Not sure what it has to do with anything, but then...anyone is free to post whatever they like.

Right?

23 In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23
Old 02-15-17, 04:59 PM   #30
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There used to be a few people who "signed" their posts - even though you could see who wrote them. That's what your quotes felt like - and sometimes they'd be longer than what you posted, so you're making people scroll past and try to figure out what is a post and what is a quote, which makes for a cluttered reading experience.

It's like typing in all caps - of course you could do it, but it's annoying to look at.
May I ad that the takeover-ad-infested mobile version of this site does not show signatures in posts. So when someone individually 'signs' their post with either their name (redundant) or otherwise, it shows up where a standard signature would not. So when those instances are longer than the actual posts, yeah... it's a minor annoyance.

Quote:
Interesting conversation...I suppose. Not sure what it has to do with anything,
Okay.
Old 02-15-17, 05:03 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

And we have a right not to be annoyed, right?

Funny...people post annoying things right & left, even repeating the same stuff which I find to be complete nonsense, totally illogical, blatantly hateful, etc. And yet I can still converse with them as long as they have something to say.

When a quote is separated by an obvious space, with asterisks above, and set off in italics...it shouldn't take a genius to figure out the format. After a couple of times, one would think that it would be easy to figure out how to only scroll down enough to read the main text without ever having to be offended by a Bible text.

On the other hand, people here routinely...and deliberately...include all sorts of blatantly-offensive comments which they know offend others.

Don't you find it ironic who is getting so upset, and who can be tolerant?

The wise shall inherit glory, But shame shall be the legacy of fools. Proverbs 3:35
Old 02-15-17, 05:04 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Hmmm.

May I point out that it doesn't appear that anyone has any problem with people including anti-religious quotes, posting anti-religious posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the topics, or even have adopted blasphemous online names ("King of the Jews") while constantly, obsessively posting anti-religious messages...yet those "advertisements" don't seem troubling.
Hmm...haven't really noticed that stuff. But then again, I have stayed away from the religious threads lately. Maybe it is only the "easily offended" you mention below that notice them?
Spoiler:
you

Quote:
I find it rather odd that Christians can "endure" such blatant, overt anti-religious messages without complaint, yet the posting of Bible quotes is found to be like holy water to a vampire by those with extreme antipathy toward religion.
That's awesome you endure and don't complain about that stuff...oh...uh, well I guess you already did in the above paragraph. And also the one of above that. Oh well.

Quote:
But I can promise you this. Although I stopped posting Bible quotes temporarily specifically to avoid infuriating the easily-offended and censorship-minded, any future posting of Bible quotes won't be predicated upon anyone else's approval or disapproval.

People here routinely post outright lies, profane insults toward members, blasphemous comments, nonsense & trolling comments, etc. But the one thing that sets you off is Bible quotations?
Weird. I file you in some of that group above. (Well...not the blasphemy comments though...since I don't believe in blasphemy.) I bolded for clarification.

So it wasn't just the bible quotes. It was just the final obnoxious straw with you. And censorship? I didn't see where you have been censored. Just where people chose to ignore you. Or answer and debate you. Quite a difference there. But hyperbole has always been your strong suit.

Quote:
Now...before any Bible quotes resume, exactly what educational proposals do you find objectionable?
I did not mention any educational proposals. My question was thus:

"I just find it puzzling how people think that if they teach Christianity in schools that suddenly Math, Literacy, History, Science, etc. scores are going to go up.

Can a Christian who wants this to happen please explain this to me?"
Old 02-15-17, 05:06 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Okay.
“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord,
“Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-15-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 05:08 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread.

Quote:
That's a very interesting interpretation of how that played out.
Next time just type LIE and save us the wall of text.

Last edited by Pharoh; 02-15-17 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 05:09 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
If he was 10 years younger better believe Vince would be running next.
No chance ... No chance in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I just find it puzzling how people think that if they teach Christianity in schools that suddenly Math, Literacy, History, Science, etc. scores are going to go up.

Can a Christian who wants this to happen please explain this to me?
I'm not a Christian and I don't want it to happen, but it's an easy answer. Because, god.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 02-15-17, 05:15 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Sorry to derail but yeah, I was going to mention exactly what you wrote. I also stay away from forums that allow really large signatures like cheapassgamer allows. Just makes it an annoying browsing experience. (And I haven't seen any bible verses there.)
Spoiler:
Just don't mention that to creek so he can keep his persecution complex intact.

Luckily that's why the ignore button was created. But there would be too many people to ignore on cheapassgamer so I personally stay away from there.

Who was that guy (I think he got kicked off the forum here) who always signed his posts at the end? Every. Damn. Time. I think I saw way more complaints about him than creek's bible verses.
Old 02-15-17, 05:16 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

I did not mention any educational proposals. My question was thus:

"I just find it puzzling how people think that if they teach Christianity in schools that suddenly Math, Literacy, History, Science, etc. scores are going to go up.

Can a Christian who wants this to happen please explain this to me?"
After reading your post above, I certainly see why you evidently see the entire universe in a 180-degree different perspective from me. I agree whole-heartedly...you should just put me back on "ignore" permanently.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way. Psalm 37:23
Old 02-15-17, 05:20 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

I'm not a Christian and I don't want it to happen, but it's an easy answer. Because, god.
I am a Christian and I also don't want it to happen.

I think the reason this is more of a thing now, as opposed to the past, is that there's a growing contingent of Christians (evangelicals, I suppose) that are getting more and more insecure with their faith (mostly due to the changing and shrinking world around them), and want to impose their worldview on others, mostly because they're frightened that this changing world around them might change their world as well.
Old 02-15-17, 05:20 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No, that's not it.

Since God is the source of truth and all things, it makes perfect sense to include God as the foundation for learning.

Also, it gives a purpose for learning, just as it gives purpose to life.

In him was life, and the life was the light of men. John 1:4
Old 02-15-17, 05:21 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No, that's not it.

Since God is the source of truth and all things, it makes perfect sense to include God as the foundation for learning.

In him was life, and the life was the light of men. John 1:4

You have your own thread for this. Don't derail this one.
Old 02-15-17, 05:23 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

I think the reason this is more of a thing now, as opposed to the past, is that there's a growing contingent of Christians (evangelicals, I suppose) that are getting more and more insecure with their faith (mostly due to the changing and shrinking world around them), and want to impose their worldview on others, mostly because they're frightened that this changing world around them might change their world as well.
Do you have a citation, or is that just an opinion?

A man who bears false witness against his neighbor
Is like a club, a sword, and a sharp arrow. Proverbs 25:18
Old 02-15-17, 05:24 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
He was just answering the question posed. It was fine.
Old 02-15-17, 05:25 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
A man was asked a question.

A man answered the question.

A man should not ask a question if a man does not want an answer that he may not like.

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool,
For he will despise the wisdom of your words. Proverbs 23:9
Old 02-15-17, 05:27 PM   #44
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

A man should not ask a question if a man does not want an answer that he may not like.

You must be a hoot to hang out with.

God bless the Internet.
Old 02-15-17, 05:33 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No, that's not it.

So ... Just to make sure I am reading the words you are typing ... So your response is "Because, god."

I just whipped your ass. -- Austin 3:16

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 02-15-17, 05:35 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

None of the Christians I know want that. Most send their kids to public school, and the few that don't are not making that choice because of the religion aspect.

If you read that long statement that was posted carefully it's clear that the "removing the secular" is the goal. Nothing but a certain form of Christianity will be taught as fact. Gone will be any kind of treating the LGBT community as normal, equal members of our nation's population. It will be replaced by teaching "science" like the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

But I don't give it a chance in hell of getting implemented because the majority of Christians on public school boards, and the teachers, will never stand for it.
Old 02-15-17, 05:43 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
You must be a hoot to hang out with.

Quote:
So ... Just to make sure I am reading the words you are typing ... So your response is "Because, god."
Ummm...that's a pretty heavily-edited version. You got the first two sequential words right, though.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-15-17 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 06:46 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I'll let that slide, because it reminds me of Game of Thrones.
Old 02-15-17, 06:50 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh fuck me sideways, is he doing his little bible quotes again?

Quote:
Old 02-15-17, 06:54 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That's totally the first thing I thought of.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016