Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-27-17, 03:35 PM   #251
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't exist. Sorta like you and Muslim God.
Well, you did ask.

I should at least get a hug.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-27-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 12:23 PM   #252
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2017 role of religion in the US, the trump administration, and DVDTalk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Here's a an articulation of Christian faith and democratic ideals in the midst of our current critical US political climate by some professors at Princeton Theological Seminary, AKA, liberal Presbyterians.
I agree with their statement completely.

I don't always find "name dropping" helpful, and I'm going to do a little bit here. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth to you.

Princeton Theological Seminary has a good reputation, in my opinion. I've read a small handful of books from some of these professors and I personally know two of them. This is an ecumenical crowd. I see Anglicans and Presbyterians, United Methodists and Baptist. I see white, black, and Asian faces. I see Xers, Boomers, and Silent Generation. I see ordained clergy and laity. I see a wide range of professional and academic backgrounds. Sakenfeld was chief on the editorial board for the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 volumes, 5000 pages), a publication that I'd guess many clergy of many faith traditions have on their shelves. In short, I see many faith leaders who are doing their best to raise up the next generation of faith leaders coming together to make a statement about their understanding of God and god and I'm sure they do not make such a statement lightly.

Thanks for posting, slop101, I hadn't seen it and I appreciate it.

Last edited by story; 03-03-17 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I caught a typo.
Old 03-06-17, 05:56 PM   #253
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More proof that the DeVos push toward vouchers is a very bad idea:

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is getting some very bad news about her favorite thing, school vouchers

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...228-story.html

Quote:
A raft of recent studies about school vouchers couldn’t have come at a worse time for our new Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos.

That's because the studies report devastatingly bad results for students in those voucher programs. And they've been flowing into public forums just as DeVos, a leading advocate of school vouchers, takes charge of federal education policy. DeVos's patron, President Trump, proposed during his campaign to shovel $20 billion to the states to support magnet and charter schools in voucher programs.

“These results are without precedent in the educational literature,” says Kevin Carey, director of the education policy program at the think tank New America. “Among the past results, none were as positive as these are negative.”

A study released last February by a team of researchers led by Jonathan Mills of Tulane University found that students in Louisiana’s expanded program lost ground in their first two years in the program. Those performing at average levels in math and reading — that is, at about the 50th percentile — fell 24 percentile points in math and eight points in reading after their first year in the program. In the second year, they improved slightly in math, though they still scored well below non-voucher students, and barely improved at all in reading.

Those results resembled December 2015 findings by Christopher Walters of UC Berkeley, Atila Abdulkadiroglu of Duke and Parag Pathak of MIT covering the Louisiana program’s first year, which found that participation in the program “substantially reduces academic achievement.”

The third data point comes from Indiana, where a voucher program was sedulously promoted by former Gov. Mike Pence, now the vice president. There, two researchers from Notre Dame have found that “voucher students who transfer to private schools experience significant losses in mathematics achievement” and no improvement in English compared to their records at their former public schools. A student who entered the Indiana program at the 50th percentile in math fell to the 44% percentile a year later, according to the study, which is still in progress.

Walters told me the important takeaway from his study is that “school choice is not guaranteed to improve student outcomes.” Voucher programs are predicated on the idea that parents have an unerring feel for what’s best for their kids. “One common argument is that parents are able to make better choices for their children,” Walters says, “but that doesn’t always happen.”

New America’s Carey says the statewide studies carry a warning for DeVos not merely because they undermine the case for choice-driven academic improvement.

“In DeVos’s advocacy, she seems to favor the least restrictive and most market-oriented policies” about which schools can participate in voucher programs. “In her rhetoric, it’s the creation of market mechanisms that are the important thing to promote. This research does not support that view. In fact, it may support the idea that that approach is harmful to student learning.”
Old 03-06-17, 06:28 PM   #254
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The Louisiana and Indiana programs were criticized for accepting religious schools that were financially strapped, including some that placed creationism on their curricula.
What do you mean a school that teaches creationism isn't good at teaching actual facts? That's unpossible!
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black