Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-13-17, 09:48 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

As Texas considers a bathroom bill, the NFL issues a warning

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-...cid=spartanntp

Quote:
As the state of Texas considers a bathroom bill that would ban transgender people from using the public bathrooms in which they feel most comfortable, the NFL has issued a reminder that such a law could affect future Super Bowls in the state.

The warning is a serious one. The NFL moved the 1993 Super Bowl from Arizona in 1990 when the state had not passed a law recognizing the birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King as a holiday and threatened to do so in 2014, when the state was considering a bill that would allow business owners to deny services to gay people for religious reasons.

“The NFL embraces inclusiveness,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy wrote in an email to the Houston Chronicle, reiterating a stance the league has taken before. “We want all fans to feel welcomed at our events, and NFL policies prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard.”

A spokesman for Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick said his office is committed to “making sure that every Texan is welcomed” at sporting events. “Despite persistent misinformation in the media, under Senate Bill 6, all Texas teams will be able to set their own policies at the stadiums and arenas where they play and hold their events. There is no conflict with the NFL’s statement today and Senate Bill 6,” Patrick spokesman Alejandro Garcia said (via CBS). Gov. Greg Abbott has been quieter on the issue.

The next open date for a Super Bowl is in 2022, with Minneapolis, Atlanta, Miami and Los Angeles having been awarded the 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 games. Super Bowl XLV was held in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tex., in 2011 and Jerry Jones would no doubt love to host another soon.

A similar bill has had an economic impact in North Carolina, which lost the NBA All-Star Game, NCAA games and big-time concerts. San Antonio is set to host the Final Four in 2018 and Dallas is the site of the women’s Final Four in April. In 2015, the NCAA flexed its muscles over Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which allowed businesses to refuse to serve gay customers in the name of religious beliefs, just days before the Final Four.

In an interview at the time, Emmert said that the NCAA wants to hold its championship in an “inclusive” environment and “right now we’re not sure that we have that” in Indianapolis, which is also home to the NCAA’s headquarters. “We’re very serious about our core values and we want to make sure we can operate in an environment that is supportive of those values, so this is a very serious issue for us.”

That bill was revised.

It was only three years ago when this issue threatened a Super Bowl. As Super Bowl XLIX inched closer, the NFL was similarly clear about Arizona’s controversial bill over denying services for gay people. “Our policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email then. “We are following the issue in Arizona and will continue to do so should the bill be signed into law, but will decline further comment at this time.”

The host committee was less measured: “We do not support this legislation,” it said in a statement on its website. Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed the bill.
I'm sure other states would love to work with the NFL if Texas repeats North Carolina's mistake.
Old 02-13-17, 10:22 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

Good. You want to discriminate in your state? Get ready for companies to not want to do business there. They definitely have the right to pull up stakes.
Old 02-13-17, 10:24 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe all football players, instead of doing the famous kneeling, can squat during their normally scheduled event.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 02-13-17, 10:52 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Maybe all football players, instead of doing the famous kneeling, can squat during their normally scheduled event.
Maybe lawmakers could stop discriminating instead?
Old 02-13-17, 11:03 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Despite persistent misinformation in the media, under Senate Bill 6, all Texas teams will be able to set their own policies at the stadiums and arenas where they play and hold their events. There is no conflict with the NFL’s statement today and Senate Bill 6
Is that true? I haven't read the bill yet.

Old 02-13-17, 11:28 PM   #6
Time Lord

Perhaps the NFL feels that if there is such a law, even if they can control what happens at their events, it's not worth doing business with a state that would be so openly discriminatory.
Old 02-13-17, 11:29 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Not Worth Doing Your Business

I like that.

Old 02-13-17, 11:44 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what happens when Trump passes the same type of law federally? Do we boycott the whole US?
Old 02-13-17, 11:51 PM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forget Russia, the trans community is the real enemy!
Old 02-13-17, 11:55 PM   #10
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hit them where it hurts

Texas will give up without a fight. Don't touch our football.
Old 02-14-17, 08:15 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Hit them where it hurts

Texas will give up without a fight. Don't touch our football.
Do the feel the same about having the SB? I mean beyond Jerry Jones that is.
Old 02-14-17, 10:23 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like the bill and I support the gay/trans community, but if this was another issue and a huge corporation was overriding elected political leaders and usurping control and undermining their authority you guys would lose your shit. This is all just PR for the the NFL. They want you to think kindly of them because they are an ugly corporation that needs all the help it can get right now.
Old 02-14-17, 10:41 AM   #13
Time Lord

That post would make sense if context and content didn't matter.
Old 02-14-17, 10:43 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I don't like the bill and I support the gay/trans community, but if this was another issue and a huge corporation was overriding elected political leaders and usurping control and undermining their authority you guys would lose your shit. This is all just PR for the the NFL. They want you to think kindly of them because they are an ugly corporation that needs all the help it can get right now.
I have no problems with companies making decisions about where they want to do business. As a consumer, I have the option of supporting them (the NFL) or not (Hobby Lobby). But I firmly believe they should be allowed to do it.
Old 02-14-17, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
I don't like the bill and I support the gay/trans community, but if this was another issue and a huge corporation was overriding elected political leaders and usurping control and undermining their authority you guys would lose your shit.
Got an example?

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-14-17, 10:56 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That post would make sense if context and content didn't matter.
And isn't that what it boils down to? Justifying a corporation flexing political beliefs only if those beliefs align with your own. Let's not pretend that having TG-friendly bathrooms is the end game here. Of course it's not. The end game is that your favorite political affiliate won.

I won't argue it. Because it happens all the time. But it happens from BOTH political sides. Not just one.

I personally would be fine taking a piss next to a TG in a girly outfit. I could care less. I'm just in the bathroom to do my business and not get into anyone else's.

But Mabuse makes a valid point. And I'm sure when he gives an example, we'll hear claims of "but that's racism" or whatever, conveniently compartmentalizing the example as somehow being irrelevant. To think a corporation would not and could not do something arbitrary in this political age that would make the Left furious, is a little unrealistic.

Old 02-14-17, 11:05 AM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Exactly none of that is happening.
Old 02-14-17, 11:06 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And isn't that what it boils down to? Justifying a corporation flexing political beliefs only if those beliefs align with your own. Let's not pretend that having TG-friendly bathrooms is the end game here. Of course it's not. The end game is that your favorite political affiliate won.

I won't argue it. Because it happens all the time. But it happens from BOTH political sides. Not just one.

I personally would be fine taking a piss next to a TG in a girly outfit. I could care less. I'm just in the bathroom to do my business and not get into anyone else's.

But Mabuse makes a valid point. And I'm sure when he gives an example, we'll hear claims of "but that's racism" or whatever, conveniently compartmentalizing the example as somehow being irrelevant. To think a corporation would not and could not do something arbitrary in this political age that would make the Left furious, is a little unrealistic.
I gave an example - Hobby Lobby. They flexed their political muscle. And I don't shop at Hobby Lobby anymore.
Old 02-14-17, 12:14 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Got an example?
Lobiests for corporations. When Monsanto lobiests undermine a global warming bill people lose their shit about companies undermine government. We all like trans rights, but isn't the NFL a billion dollar corporation undermining a state government? Using its money and power to get its way
Old 02-14-17, 12:17 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

As a naitive Texan, this makes me sad for my own state I love. I've emailed everyone I can think of in opposition.

Right now the feeling is, it won't pass. But it's Texas. So there is a shot it could pass.

The thing is, there is literally no use for the bill. There is only a single state in the Country that requires a person to use the bathroom on their birth certificate (NC). Every single other state has either a laws that protects a TG person using the bathroom they identify with or no law covering the issue which means the TG person can use the bathroom they identify with. So we have experience. It's a non-issue.

Might as well make a law outlawing using the same bathroom as Unicorns.

As for a business or company "forcing a state to comply" I'm fine with it.
Old 02-14-17, 12:19 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Is that true? I haven't read the bill yet.
Makes no difference if true. The state is discriminating and then putting an "exception" to try to avoid backlash.
Old 02-14-17, 12:22 PM   #22
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the opposite of forcing. The NFL is free to take their business wherever they like, because they are afraid that people will take their business wherever they like -- both are right to do just that.
Old 02-14-17, 12:39 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

And lobiests don't force anything either. They just make clear that if the global warming bill doesn't go their way X Company will move, hire, fire, etc. And it's legal. But most people don't like it. You guys just like this because you agree with the NFL.
Old 02-14-17, 12:40 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The NFL is letting it be known they will use the bill as part of their decision process. Pretty simple unless people are afraid that the bill makes Texas less attractive to potential business partners like the NFL. But if this bill is the right thing to do, it would actually make Texas more attractive, right?
Old 02-14-17, 12:43 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Generally most Americans are against big corporations interfering in politics. But in this instance the NFL is getting a pass.