Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-17-17, 09:19 AM   #126

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
Who said it was?
You did. You say these "bathroom bills" is necessary to prevent men from assaulting little girls, but don't propose anything to keep men from assaulting little boys in the bathroom (or women assaulting girls for that matter).

Why is one such a big problem but not the other?
Old 02-17-17, 09:24 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

I have a more anarchist approach to this. I support open unisex bathrooms and locker rooms for everyone, and chemical castration and/or lifetime incarceration for perverts who violate any social norms while in them.
Old 02-17-17, 09:26 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Chances are he has never experienced one. They aren't very common, after all. Though I suppose that is somewhat geographic related.
The only unisex bathrooms I've seen are all single occupant ones at small places like dentists' offices and laundromats, where there isn't a lot of traffic. Oh, and in the town I grew up in, the convenience store had only one single-occupant bathroom.

I don't think I've ever seen a large, multiple stall unisex bathroom unless it's a third, family/handicapped bathroom.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 02-17-17, 09:29 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Chances are he has never experienced one. They aren't very common, after all. Though I suppose that is somewhat geographic related.
You're almost starting to get it. What those of you on the left need to understand about those on the right who are creating and supporting these bathroom bills is that they aren't trying to make trans people that currently live in their state uncomfortable. That's just a by product. What they're trying to do is send the message, "Don't come here." It's a removal of the welcome mat. They don't want weird "city shit" they've only seen on Orange is the New Black to come to their town.
Old 02-17-17, 09:35 AM   #130

Interesting I see more and more unisex bathrooms all the time and I live in Utah!
Old 02-17-17, 09:59 AM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You're right, it's a biology issue. Science!

I'm trying to understand your logic. If a TG man is a man...why won't you say a man can become pregnant? I'm trying to understand here. Will you acknowledge that men can become pregnant?

Your getting tubes tied analogy makes no sense at all. Tying the tubes is not trying to alter a person's gender.

I'm not ignoring, there was a whole other thread where I responded to that time and time again. I'm not going to repeat over and over something I've answered many times. I don't have the time for that. Go back and read the other thread.
But you trying to say a woman is only a woman if she can have a baby. And that is nonsense. Many women are unable to have children. For a variety of conditions and medical situations. They are no less a woman.

You are trying to argue the ONLY factor in biology the ability to have a baby. Which is again. Nonsense.

Your not trying to understand anything. You are seeking out ways to discriminate. Just like people did with blacks and gays on the very same bathroom issue.

Plus I often stated, I simply don't care who is in the bathroom. As mentioned I see men using restrooms with women all the time. Hell last night at a very small club a women came in the men's room, went in a stall and did her thing. No one cared. It's a public bathroom. Not your home, not a private club. It's totally within your right to forbid your wife and daughter from using a public restroom. But you absolutely don't get to tell anyone else.

Not only that these new laws you propose like HB2 will do zero for you wife and daughters safety. In NC today all a creep has to do is put in a wig and walk right in. There is zero in HB2 to actually stop that. But somehow you will feel better that a TG person won't go in? Makes zero sense.
Old 02-17-17, 10:11 AM   #132

Quote:
I thought that might be the case, but would be interesting to see how he would deal with them. They were getting fairly frequent out west before I moved a decade ago and are starting to show up more and more on the east coast, where I live now. I think they are going to be frequently seen in the near future all over due to lower cost and convenience.
Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The only unisex bathrooms I've seen are all single occupant ones at small places like dentists' offices and laundromats, where there isn't a lot of traffic. Oh, and in the town I grew up in, the convenience store had only one single-occupant bathroom.

I don't think I've ever seen a large, multiple stall unisex bathroom unless it's a third, family/handicapped bathroom.
I was hitting clubs/bars in an area I had not been before. One bar had a men's room, a women's room and a unisex room. The men's room had two urinals and one stall. Not sure the set up in the others or why the need for a 3rd option. Guess comfort level for all?
Old 02-17-17, 10:39 AM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think you can say "no one" would have known. You can't say there is violence against transpeople then say no one would "have known" when a transperson uses a particular restroom. Are you making the assumption that people can not identify a trans person? If so, that is a contradiction in stating that trans people experience violence based on being a transperson.
Well, I mean maybe Superman can. If a trans person uses the bathroom that they identify with, then, there isn't a problem. If they obey the law, then sending someone that looks like a woman into the men's room, or sending someone that looks like a man into the women's room, there could be issues. Issues not caused by the trans person. Unless you're arguing that there isn't violence against trans people? I wouldn't recommend going that route.

Quote:
I thought you were on board with it doesn't matter if people are uncomfortable? What about the girls in the IL high school that would wear their gym clothes under the regular clothes because they didn't want to change with a tg girl? Doesn't matter if it's uncomfortable for them - they're just bigots, right? If a woman who is a victim of sex abuse sees a naked man in the locker room - it doesn't matter if she's uncomfortable? Just tell her to suck up it, bigot? Why does the tg's comfort outweigh the girls comfort?

Sorry if I don't get your point. I might be a little confused on what you are saying when the words "man" and "woman" have been completely stripped off all meaning and are now used interchangeably.
Have you even seen a high school comedy? American Pie has a main character that refuses to use the school's bathrooms for instance. Or watch any number of others. Plenty of people don't like to change in front of others, period (I purposely didn't use a period there as a joke) Kids are generally uncomfortable with their bodies at their age. I would have hoped that the school would have offered some options like letting the trans girl change first, but even if not, consider this. Imagine how you would feel if 10 guys (I'm assuming that you're a guy) said that you couldn't change with them for whatever made up reason. Then imagine how much worse it would feel to get rejected by 10 women while you were naked. Trans people aren't trying to stand out, they're trying to blend in by being who they feel that they are. And again, what subsect of biology are you referring to? Anatomy? Genetics?
Old 02-17-17, 11:30 AM   #135
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You're almost starting to get it. What those of you on the left need to understand about those on the right who are creating and supporting these bathroom bills is that they aren't trying to make trans people that currently live in their state uncomfortable. That's just a by product. What they're trying to do is send the message, "Don't come here." It's a removal of the welcome mat. They don't want weird "city shit" they've only seen on Orange is the New Black to come to their town.
Yes, they're saying don't come here because we're actively trying to make your life more difficult. The uncomfortable part is not a by-product, it's the means by which they hope to keep people they deem unacceptable out. It's a modern day attempt at Jim Crow.
Old 02-17-17, 11:38 AM   #136
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:

If there is anything this election cycle has taught is society will continue to deteriorate if we think like young people.
I think this is the crux of your debate. Old people can be scared of something they don't understand.

Just step aside and relax. It will be OK. Remember you were once young.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1364 days 18 hours 56 minutes
Old 02-17-17, 11:44 AM   #137
Time Lord

Quote:
If there is anything this election cycle has taught is society will continue to deteriorate if we think like young people.
Wait, what? Young people did not overwhelmingly vote for Trump. Also all young people do not think alike.
Old 02-17-17, 01:13 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody remember this from 9 months ago.

Not all Trump supporters are racists & misogynists, but all of them decided that racism & misogyny weren't deal breakers.
Old 02-17-17, 02:42 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What have I said that was hateful? They hate card is overplayed. Try a new card. Being forced to conform to young people's way of thinking because they are more "accepting" is or you will be accused of "hating" is ridiculous.

What you are not getting is this isn't a "young" way of think of being more accepting.

It is you taking the extremist approach.

Is being a TG person new? No there have always been TG people.

Is it new that a TG person has to pee or poo? No TG people have always had to pee and poo.

Is it new at that TG people could use the bathroom they identified with? No a TG person was alway free to use the bathroom they identified with.

Yet now, all of a sudden, we have extremist selling unicorn, made up, shit that doesn't happen to stop what we have always had and had no issue with.

Just because it is "new to you" doesn't make it a new issue.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-17-17 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 03:20 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're right, because our nations young people are more accepting than their parents, and grandparents, our nation is doomed.

Thankfully there are parents out there making sure their kids understand that the LGBT community is evil and must be put in their place. Keep up the fight. Never give up.
Old 02-17-17, 04:19 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yup, the only way to save society is to think more like Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions.

Not all Trump supporters are racists & misogynists, but all of them decided that racism & misogyny weren't deal breakers.
Old 02-17-17, 04:49 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup, the only way to save society is to think more like Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions.
Maybe we can even get back to separate but equal get women back in the kitchen and certainly not vote!
Old 02-17-17, 07:11 PM   #143
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Maybe we can even get back to separate but equal get women back in the kitchen and certainly not vote!

In the very first presidential election that women could vote in, Harding won. Harding is generally regarded as the worst president ever. Coincidence? It is a mystery.
Old 02-17-17, 07:17 PM   #144
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdallnct View Post
maybe we can even get back to separate but equal get women back in the kitchen and certainly not vote!
#maga
Old 02-17-17, 08:16 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxbu...?client=safari

And just like NC, the sports and businesses are lining up. Here the NBA warns about its All Star game.

IMO states can't complain about needing money if they are going to just flush it down the drain.
Old 02-18-17, 05:20 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Can I ask what you do when there are unisex bathrooms? I mean the ones that actually have multiple stalls, not the single occupant. Do you refuse to use them because a woman might walk in? Do you refuse to let your wife/daughter use them because a man might walk in? Do you scope them out for men and then bar other men from entering when your wife/daughter needs to go? If so, aren't you potentially barging in on someone else's wife/daughter and thus guilty of the very thing you fear? I am genuinely curious.
In a unisex bathroom people have an expectation that someone of the opposite sex is allowed to be in there. In a woman's or men's room they don't. Not that difficult to understand.
Old 02-18-17, 05:23 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You did. You say these "bathroom bills" is necessary to prevent men from assaulting little girls, but don't propose anything to keep men from assaulting little boys in the bathroom (or women assaulting girls for that matter).

Why is one such a big problem but not the other?
Don't lie and don't play stupid, intellectually dishonest games. No one said it's ok to assualt boys.

Groucho, you must think its ok for grown men to assault little girls.
Old 02-18-17, 05:24 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
It is you taking the extremist approach.
Nothing more extreme than saying biological facts that a man is a man and a woman is a woman
Old 02-18-17, 05:25 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
I think this is the crux of your debate. Old people can be scared of something they don't understand.

Just step aside and relax. It will be OK. Remember you were once young.
Who said I was "old people"? You don't know how old I am.
Old 02-18-17, 05:27 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post

Have you even seen a high school comedy? American Pie has a main character that refuses to use the school's bathrooms for instance. Or watch any number of others. Plenty of people don't like to change in front of others, period
This isn't a movie bro and the girls stated why they were uncomfortable changing, because of a boy in their room. They were don't that before.