Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-16-17, 10:01 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
If my wife and daughters are in a locker room or a changing room, or a restroom and a man walks in? Yeah, it's my business.
Actually it's not (assuming a public restroom). What is your business is ANYONE that walks in a bathroom (or ANY PLACE) that you, your wife or daughter is in and acts inappropriately.

Again, pretty simple stuff. Anyone walks in any bathroom, pee's, washes there hands and leaves is a non-issue.

Anyone walks in any bathroom and they "hang out" or pull out a phone or try to linger around or anything like that, call security, cops, call them out.
Old 02-16-17, 10:33 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

So much talk about public bathroom conduct. I'm 33 and have never experienced anything weird happen in a public bathroom. You people are paranoid. Do you ever go outside?

The most offensive thing about a public bathroom is when nobody cleans them and you walk in and they're f'n disgusting.
Old 02-16-17, 10:34 AM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 52 and the craziest thing I ever saw happen in a ladies' room was about twenty years ago when a woman was trying to tell me about the menstrual cup she used when she saw me buying a sanitary napkin from the machine on the wall. She was nice enough, but I didn't really want to hear about her product. She worked for a company that sold them.
Old 02-16-17, 10:40 AM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

Full disclosure... I worked at a movie theater and had to clean up some explosive diarrhea one time. Don't pity me. Give your pity to the poor guy who had to run out of the theater and shat everywhere (wall, toilet, everywhere). Possibly while on a date or whatever. Consider what that guy looked like as he most likely snuck out the side door. No way he did that without pooing all over himself and his clothes.

That was some crazy ... and strangest thing I've ever experienced in a bathroom.
Old 02-16-17, 10:46 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Weirdest thing for me was going into a Target bathroom to see a full-grown adult at a urinal with his pants and underwear pulled all the way down to his shoes like he was 5 years old. Just fucking OWNING it.

I wish I had half that confidence.
Old 02-16-17, 10:50 AM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a turd in the urinal once. I have pictures if anyone would like proof.
Old 02-16-17, 10:53 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm 52 and the craziest thing I ever saw happen in a ladies' room was about twenty years ago when a woman was trying to tell me about the menstrual cup she used when she saw me buying a sanitary napkin from the machine on the wall. She was nice enough, but I didn't really want to hear about her product. She worked for a company that sold them.
The "Moon Cup?"

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 02-16-17, 10:56 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Weirdest thing for me was going into a Target bathroom to see a full-grown adult at a urinal with his pants and underwear pulled all the way down to his shoes like he was 5 years old. Just fucking OWNING it.

I wish I had half that confidence.
"Feels good, man."

NSFW:

The actual origin of the "alt-right" mascot Pepe the Frog.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 02-16-17, 10:59 AM   #109
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread is now officially NSFE (Not safe for eating).
Old 02-16-17, 11:00 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
I saw a turd in the urinal once. I have pictures if anyone would like proof.
Nope.
Old 02-16-17, 11:14 AM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
"Feels good, man."

NSFW:

The actual origin of the "alt-right" mascot Pepe the Frog.
That's the actual origin!? Wow! Really?
Old 02-16-17, 11:25 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

I still find incredibly odd the dudes that walk into the restroom still talking on the phone! WTF? And you can quickly tell they aren't just talking to buddy about a tee time. They are talking to boss, GF, wife, worker, w/e.

If freaks me out. Should I flush while he is in there? Should I flush ten times? Should I yell out "can you hand me some toilet paper"....WTF people!!! Pee, wash hands and leave!!

Home Theater Build
Old 02-16-17, 11:30 AM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
So much talk about public bathroom conduct. I'm 33 and have never experienced anything weird happen in a public bathroom. You people are paranoid. Do you ever go outside?

The most offensive thing about a public bathroom is when nobody cleans them and you walk in and they're f'n disgusting.
You need to get out more. I have tons of stories of weird bathroom and locker room incidents. Many of them I've shared in other threads regarding this topic so I won't repeat.

But here's the weirdest:

Macy's, Union Square, San Francisco. The weekend between Christmas and New Years. Hugely crowded everywhere. I really need to shit. I go to top floor of Macy's, all the way in the back. There's a line out the door waiting for the men's room. When I get in the door I see there are 20 stalls. It's a huge bathroom. In the first stall there is a person sitting on the floor and another person sitting on the toilet. The door is shut I can only see this from the 2 foot gap. The person on the floor is one of those like mishapenly fat homeless deshveled persons. Couldn't tell what the guy on the toilet looked like. There are condoms on the floor. Open, out of the package condoms, all around the stall floor. Normally I would run away from this shitstorm, but I really needed to shit. I wait, I do my business. While I'm shitting there are noises coming from the stall. When I'm leaving the bathroom in comes one, lone Macy's security guard. He's a black gentleman with just a Macy's shirt and a walkie talkie.

I felt really sorry that the guy was going to have to deal with this, and all by himself evidently. I actually said, "Are you okay? You're all alone. Can I do something?" He gave me a look like I was so naive it was cute. He said something like, " No I got this," with a dismissive tone that suggested, "This is nothing." I got the hell out of there.

What was going on in the stall? I'll never really know. Fucking? Doing Drugs? Both?

It was utterly bizarre. Now if my 8 year old really needed to shit I don't know what I'd do. Definitely not go in.
Old 02-16-17, 11:31 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

I was in Walmart last week and simply spaced it and walked into the women's restroom. I was confused as to why there weren't urinals but I went into a stall and did my business. As I'm standing there I slowly start to but the clues together and I hear someone coming in. As I didn't close the stall door I was nervous that they would come back and see a man standing there peeing. Fortunately she went into the other stall. I quickly finished up, with pee all over the seat obviously, and got the hell out of there.

All that to say...well I don't know what the point I was trying to make was.
Old 02-16-17, 11:37 AM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I was in Walmart last week and simply spaced it and walked into the women's restroom. I was confused as to why there weren't urinals but I went into a stall and did my business. As I'm standing there I slowly start to but the clues together and I hear someone coming in. As I didn't close the stall door I was nervous that they would come back and see a man standing there peeing. Fortunately she went into the other stall. I quickly finished up, with pee all over the seat obviously, and got the hell out of there.

All that to say...well I don't know what the point I was trying to make was.
You're lucky that wasn't Space Ape Mafia's wife!
Old 02-16-17, 12:06 PM   #116
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Washing out Diva Cups in the sinks ....THAT should be banned.
Old 02-16-17, 08:13 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post

And just like before a point can't be made without turning this into something it's not. Which is laws about locker rooms. That's a whole different subject, but since one really can't make a case about safety (or even privacy) without going on about fully nude people in community showers, locker rooms become their focus.

You don't see a direct correlation between restrooms and locker rooms? If it's legal and acceptable in one, does it not have to be in the other as well or else "discrimination"? You don't think it's restrooms first, then lockers (which has already happened)?

No slippery slope at all?

And yes, there is a privacy and safety issue in restrooms. Either we believe woman and girls, or men/boys for that matter, have a reasonable amount of privacy and modesty from the opposite sex or we don't. I believe they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
Someone is born as a woman, transitions to a man, and is now required by law to use the women's bathroom because, hey, the "F" box was checked on the birth certificate. So now you have a man in the women's bathroom, maybe making people uncomfortable, when in the past, as Giantrobo said, he would have just used the men's bathroom and no one would have known.
Yeah, I don't think you can say "no one" would have known. You can't say there is violence against transpeople then say no one would "have known" when a transperson uses a particular restroom. Are you making the assumption that people can not identify a trans person? If so, that is a contradiction in stating that trans people experience violence based on being a transperson.

I thought you were on board with it doesn't matter if people are uncomfortable? What about the girls in the IL high school that would wear their gym clothes under the regular clothes because they didn't want to change with a tg girl? Doesn't matter if it's uncomfortable for them - they're just bigots, right? If a woman who is a victim of sex abuse sees a naked man in the locker room - it doesn't matter if she's uncomfortable? Just tell her to suck up it, bigot? Why does the tg's comfort outweigh the girls comfort?

Sorry if I don't get your point. I might be a little confused on what you are saying when the words "man" and "woman" have been completely stripped off all meaning and are now used interchangeably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
You do know that there is mounting evidence of a biological backing for being a transgender person, right?

Or is your complete knowledge on the topic a penis or vagina? ...

Than why don't you advocate to keep men out of the women's bathroom. A transgender woman is a woman, so you should have no issues.

If I follow your logic all the way through...that a tg woman is a woman...then a tg man must be a man. So, if that tg man becomes pregnant...is it a pregnant man? Sdallnct, please tell me, can men become pregnant? I always thought it was an absolute truth that men cannot give birth, but if I follow your logic all the way through, men can become pregnant. Sdallnct, if a tg man becomes pregnant, would you refer to this person as a pregnant man?

No, its much more than just penis or vagina. If a tg men (person born a female) needs an operation...are the doctors going to treat the patient as a man or a woman? You know they are treated medically different, right? Not just based on sex organs, right? Because there are differences, right?

Either biology matters or it doesn't. Either absolute truth matters or it doesn't. Either reality matters or it doesn't. We have to be rooted in reality and not invented realities, otherwise, we are just living in fantasy world.

If we get to make up our own reality about gender, then what else? We are told there are, I believe, over 50+ genders now? This relegates gender to being completely irrelevant. Gender has become more of an activity or a matter of a personal taste. But if gender is just a social construct like we are told, then what else? Why can't a white kid identify as a black kid? And apply for black scholarships? Why can't age be a social construct if it's all about feelings? Why can't I be a 7 foot tall 80 year old Chinese Woman? You would say I can be a woman if believed it to be so, but not Chinese or 70 years old or 7 feet tall? Why is it just limited to gender? We have to be rooted in reality, otherwise, we are just living in a fantasy world.

If a man wants to live like a woman that's one thing. But to demand that the rest of society must acknowledge that person as a woman and reality, biology, and truth be damned is another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
I hate to use the Buck defense, but...

So, you're OK with this guy walking into the changeroom when your wife and daughters are there?

In regards to Buck...is it fair to use Buck as the go to example? Does Buck represent the typical transperson? I would argue no. I'm guessing Buck spent a fortune on medical treatments and surgeries to alter Buck's appearance.

So the fallacy of the Buck defense is that Buck does not represent the norm but a small percentage of a small percentage of the population.

Another fallacy is that there is a long list of types of people I wouldn't be comfortable with in a closed private area with my family (or myself individually). It's not just limited to biological sex. If someone who looks like Charles Manson walks in and I'm standing there doing my thing, I wouldn't be comfortable. If whatever the female equivalent of Charlie Manson is walks into the restroom with my wife and daughters I will not be comfortable. But I believe a woman should at least have the reasonable right of privacy to believe they can go into a restroom/changing room/locker room without a man, or person with a penis if you prefer, walking in.

I'm not going to repeat what I've already said in other threads, but if someone goes through reassignment surgery, which I'm assuming Buck has, then I have no issue with changing a birth certificate (or drivers license, etc.)* and Buck using the men's room.

* I don't think it should be changed from F to M, because there are differences between men and women in which the sex the person is born with is relevant such as medical emergencies.

It was in the news recently that California wants a third gender on driver's license...nonbinary. So how's that going to help? Will the police put out an apb on a nonbinary individual? Hello, it's 911 can I help you? Yeah I just got robbed. Was it a man or woman? That's offensive, they could be nonbinaries individuals. Yeah, I don't know what that means, I need a description, does the suspect appear to be man or woman?....and you said they, is there more than one? No, just one. Why did you say "they"? Cuz #pronouns matter!

Anyway, good news, the DOJ dropped the Obama appeal. Hopefully some sanity is returning.
Old 02-16-17, 08:19 PM   #118
Time Lord

How do you know Buck is an outlier? You've demonstrated a significant lack of knowledge about this subject in all of your arguments.
Old 02-16-17, 08:28 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a flash for Spottedf--I mean SpaceApe. No twelve-or-thirteen-year-old girl likes having to change up for PE class. Even if it's other bio-born girls only. I've been there and you haven't. Like a lot of other cases, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
Old 02-16-17, 08:38 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
If a man wants to live like a woman that's one thing. But to demand that the rest of society must acknowledge that person as a woman and reality, biology, and truth be damned is another thing.
There you go again. You also are speaking for far too many young people who are far more accepting of these things. Hate is learned, so unless they have bigoted parents preaching hate to them on a regular basis, their class mates are simply Joe and Jane. Unless they are in an intimate relationship, it doesn't matter to them what plumbing Joe and Jane has under their clothes.

BTW: Still waiting for those examples of TG bathroom violence. Unless you can cite some evidence it's probably best to stop digging and go back into shadows. You got nothing except the hate you can't keep a lid on despite what seems to be efforts to do so. eidt - Nevermind. Just saw your new thread. Letting the bigot flag fly high again.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-16-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 01:53 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Dude. What the fuck r u talking about? This is not a pregnancy isssue. This is not a giving birth issue.

If that were the case any "biological women" who had their tubes tied would always need to use the men's room. Or I as a cisgender male who has had a vasectomy would need to use the women's bathroom. Seriously. Ur being purposely obtuse.

Again, I'll ask. And again you will ignore. What has changed? Forever a TG person had use whatever bathroom they wanted. Forever! No one cared.

To this day only one state dictates who can use which bathroom...where r the issues? Please lay out ALL the transgressions that have happened.

You do not get to dictate who uses a a public restroom any more than u get to say who can eat at a given restaurant.
Old 02-17-17, 04:58 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
There you go again. You also are speaking for far too many young people who are far more accepting of these things. Hate is learned, so unless they have bigoted parents preaching hate to them on a regular basis, their class mates are simply Joe and Jane. Unless they are in an intimate relationship, it doesn't matter to them what plumbing Joe and Jane has under their clothes.
What have I said that was hateful? They hate card is overplayed. Try a new card. Being forced to conform to young people's way of thinking because they are more "accepting" is or you will be accused of "hating" is ridiculous.

If there is anything this election cycle has taught is society will continue to deteriorate if we think like young people.

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 02-17-17 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 05:00 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Dude. What the fuck r u talking about? This is not a pregnancy isssue. This is not a giving birth issue.

If that were the case any "biological women" who had their tubes tied would always need to use the men's room. Or I as a cisgender male who has had a vasectomy would need to use the women's bathroom. Seriously. Ur being purposely obtuse.

Again, I'll ask. And again you will ignore. What has changed? Forever a TG person had use whatever bathroom they wanted. Forever! No one cared.

To this day only one state dictates who can use which bathroom...where r the issues? Please lay out ALL the transgressions that have happened.

You do not get to dictate who uses a a public restroom any more than u get to say who can eat at a given restaurant.
You're right, it's a biology issue. Science!

I'm trying to understand your logic. If a TG man is a man...why won't you say a man can become pregnant? I'm trying to understand here. Will you acknowledge that men can become pregnant?

Your getting tubes tied analogy makes no sense at all. Tying the tubes is not trying to alter a person's gender.

I'm not ignoring, there was a whole other thread where I responded to that time and time again. I'm not going to repeat over and over something I've answered many times. I don't have the time for that. Go back and read the other thread.

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 02-17-17 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:02 AM   #124

Quote:
If my wife and daughters are in a locker room or a changing room, or a restroom and a man walks in? Yeah, it's my business.
Can I ask what you do when there are unisex bathrooms? I mean the ones that actually have multiple stalls, not the single occupant. Do you refuse to use them because a woman might walk in? Do you refuse to let your wife/daughter use them because a man might walk in? Do you scope them out for men and then bar other men from entering when your wife/daughter needs to go? If so, aren't you potentially barging in on someone else's wife/daughter and thus guilty of the very thing you fear? I am genuinely curious.
Old 02-17-17, 09:15 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Can I ask what you do when there are unisex bathrooms? I mean the ones that actually have multiple stalls, not the single occupant. Do you refuse to use them because a woman might walk in? Do you refuse to let your wife/daughter use them because a man might walk in? Do you scope them out for men and then bar other men from entering when your wife/daughter needs to go? If so, aren't you potentially barging in on someone else's wife/daughter and thus guilty of the very thing you fear? I am genuinely curious.
Chances are he has never experienced one. They aren't very common, after all. Though I suppose that is somewhat geographic related.