Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-15-17, 10:28 AM   #51

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

I'm no fan of the NFL but this seems to be well within their rights.
Old 02-15-17, 11:27 AM   #52
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with the NFL image theory is there is no way this bathroom bill decision would make a bit if difference in correcting their much larger image problems. They will have to dump Goodell and spend years fixing each much larger issue individually.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-15-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 12:20 PM   #53
Time Lord

It's not like this gets them off the hook for anything else. In this case it's just the right thing to do.
Old 02-15-17, 12:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I guessing you don't care, but inferring a TG Man is not a man is insulting.
Being told to ignore biology, and reality, is insulting.
Old 02-15-17, 12:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Mind your own fucking business.
Public showers lockers and bathrooms are the public's business... I will just ignore the rest of your typically hate filled response.
Old 02-15-17, 12:50 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how obsessed many conservatives are with private things like bedrooms and bathrooms.
Privacy for girls and women, along with safety, is one of things we want.
Old 02-15-17, 12:52 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
Have you been unsafe without these laws?
Old 02-15-17, 01:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm no fan of the NFL but this seems to be well within their rights.
In their rights, sure.

But as citizens we need to be concerned that big corporations are using their power, and the almighty dollar, to essentially bully politicians and influencing the law in our nation.
Old 02-15-17, 01:14 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Public showers lockers and bathrooms are the public's business... I will just ignore the rest of your typically hate filled response.
You don't have the right to demand crotch checks of restroom patrons. Mind your own fucking business.
Old 02-15-17, 01:15 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Were girls and women unsafe prior to these new rules?

And is the NFL forced to remain in a state when they change laws to something the organization disagrees with?

Last edited by Draven; 02-15-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 01:20 PM   #61
Time Lord

Quote:
How about privacy and safety for transgendered people, who already are marginalized and are at greater risk for attack than the general populace?

You demand that people have to stick to the bathroom that corresponds with the sex listed on their birth certificate. So let's say a person was born female but is transgender. They live their life as a man, take hormones and have surgeries so their physical form better corresponds to how they feel inside, and now they are indistinguishable from a man. You're telling them they have to go into a women's restroom. Does that improve their safety and privacy, does that improve the perceived safety and privacy of all the women and girls in those restrooms?

Similarly, a person is born male but is transgender, now lives as and looks like, dresses like a woman, has breasts and a vagina. You're telling them to go into the men's restroom. How does that secure their privacy and safety?
Old 02-15-17, 01:39 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I will just ignore the rest of your typically hate filled response.
So by the same token, all of your hate filled posts on the subject should be ignored. As pointed out earlier, repeatedly referring to TG females as men is hateful.

Quote:
Being told to ignore biology, and reality, is insulting.
And there's the proof.

Quote:
In their rights, sure.

But as citizens we need to be concerned that big corporations are using their power, and the almighty dollar, to essentially bully politicians and influencing the law in our nation.
Unless you agree with them of course.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-15-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 01:43 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Were girls and women unsafe prior to these new rules?
Wasn't answered before, doubt it will ever get addressed this time around.

And just like before a point can't be made without turning this into something it's not. Which is laws about locker rooms. That's a whole different subject, but since one really can't make a case about safety (or even privacy) without going on about fully nude people in community showers, locker rooms become their focus.
Old 02-15-17, 01:51 PM   #64
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Man GTFOH with that bullshit. This will not put them at any extra risk. As stated many times on this topic, you don't know this but you have already pissed in a stall next to a Transgendered person and you were NOT harassed by them. I have a TG friend so I KNOW plenty of women piss next to Transwomen daily and NONE of them are bothered.
Old 02-15-17, 01:52 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
In their rights, sure.

The bigger concern is religous extremist using their power and almighty dollar to force their bielfs on others to essentially bully polititians and influencing laws that are discrimitory, bigotry and would have zero impact.

You repeatedly ignore the fact that most states have no law, either way. And never have. And everybody just pee's, washes their hands (hopefully) and moves on. No issue to resolve or correct. It is you and your extremist group that are trying to create these new, unneeded, unenforceable, laws for the sole purpose of trying to deny someone who they are. Just because you don't believe in being a transgender person doesn't make it true.

You act like this is something new. It is not. Even states that have equal rights laws have had them for many years even decades in some cases.

I seem to remember you "picking and choosing" how you protest. You boycott Target, but not other (most) companies that refuse to discriminate. Yet you argue the NFL if it really meant it protest would pull out of those states. I guess you don't really mean your protest.
Old 02-15-17, 01:59 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.texasobserver.org/north-...m-bill-passes/

Hopefully we in Texas will listen. I'll be sending another batch of emails.
Old 02-15-17, 02:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
You don't have the right to demand crotch checks of restroom patrons. Mind your own fucking business.
Dang you so angry.

Nobody is demandin crotch checks. But when locker rooms are open to anyone and young girls are in there and someone with male plumbing walks in and takes off their clothes...not much need for a crotch check.

Just tell those young girls to mind their own bleeping business.
Old 02-15-17, 02:01 PM   #68
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, and even if it were a "safety and privacy issue" as often claimed, how would that work? A combination of genital checking, GATACCA DNA scanners and keeping your birth certificate with you at all times? Because the first is an even bigger violation of privacy, the second doesn't exist, and as for the third, you're asking people to carry papers on their person?
Old 02-15-17, 02:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Man GTFOH with that bullshit. This will not put them at any extra risk. As stated many times on this topic, you don't know this but you have already pissed in a stall next to a Transgendered person and you were NOT harassed by them. I have a TG friend so I KNOW plenty of women piss next to Transwomen daily and NONE of them are bothered.
Yeah you're right. What could ever go wrong by having policies that allow men into rooms with little girls and women. No way anyone would ever take advantage of that.

And I KNOW plenty of women who don't want men in the facilities with them for privacy reasons.
Old 02-15-17, 02:09 PM   #70
Time Lord

Quote:
Yeah you're right. What could ever go wrong by having policies that allow men into rooms with little girls and women. No way anyone would ever take advantage of that.

And I KNOW plenty of women who don't want men in the facilities with them for privacy reasons.
Again, this leads to situations where a person who looks and acts like a male in every way, is a male in every way except for their chromosomes, go into the women's restroom and locker rooms. That's your grand solution?
Old 02-15-17, 02:17 PM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Again, this leads to situations where a person who looks and acts like a male in every way, is a male in every way except for their chromosomes, go into the women's restroom and locker rooms. That's your grand solution?
The frustrating thing is that these bills literally create the problem that they were "designed" to prevent. Someone is born as a woman, transitions to a man, and is now required by law to use the women's bathroom because, hey, the "F" box was checked on the birth certificate. So now you have a man in the women's bathroom, maybe making people uncomfortable, when in the past, as Giantrobo said, he would have just used the men's bathroom and no one would have known.
Old 02-15-17, 02:18 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Your made up, imaginary, unicorn "what could ever go wrong" doesn't exist. What policy? Some states have equal access laws, but most do not. It's not an issue.

And I see plent of women at concerts, sporting events, bars and clubs, walk right in the men's room to use the bathroom as the line is to long for the women's restroom. No one cares. What's your point?

And your privacy issue is made up BS. It's a public restroom for one. And for another, lawmakers know in reality these are discrimination laws. But they are now changing the title to "privacy act" to try polish up the discrimination act. And hope most people will just say "yea, privacy is something we need".
Old 02-15-17, 02:22 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
The frustrating thing is that these bills literally create the problem that they were "designed" to prevent. Someone is born as a woman, transitions to a man, and is now required by law to use the women's bathroom because, hey, the "F" box was checked on the birth certificate. So now you have a man in the women's bathroom, maybe making people uncomfortable, when in the past, as Giantrobo said, he would have just used the men's bathroom and no one would have known.
You can't use that arguement with Space Ape, he doesn't believe people transition.
Old 02-15-17, 02:28 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
You can't use that arguement with Space Ape, he doesn't believe people transition.
I'm trying to understand what he means by "biologically male or female". Because if he mentions xx/xy and genetics, then there are lots of weird mixes out there. Heck, Olympic athletes have been disqualified for as much. It very much isn't binary. If he's arguing anatomy, then he's arguing our point for us. Unless he doesn't believe that it is possible to have surgery to change your anatomy from one gender to another.

That would be kind of weird and easy for him to look up.
Old 02-15-17, 02:31 PM   #75
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Which bathroom should hermaphrodites use under these laws?