Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-16-17, 05:38 PM   #576
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

Wow, and here I thought that was just a meme!

Old 03-16-17, 08:18 PM   #577
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
Still radio silence. Hmm.

More stories to ponder the consequences of such 'laws'. One involves a lady being beaten up by cops and humiliated all thanks to a 'good Samaritan'(not). Another involves a woman peeping on another woman in an otherwise empty Target bathroom to make sure the 'right' person was in the stall and how awkward and creepy that was.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/nor...r-transgender/

Spoiler:
A North Carolinian woman was brutally ejected from a ladies’ bathroom yesterday after nearby police officers were alerted by local citizens that a transgender was using a public women’s bathroom.

Linda Hovensky, a 54-year-old resident of Charlotte, was tased multiple times by police officers as she was forced outside of the ladies washroom with her pants down and in front of a large crowd.

“I was taking a crap when police officers started yelling at me and telling me to open the door but I wasn’t finished, so they kicked the door open and grabbed me with my pants down and rushed me outside” recalls the victim, visibly traumatized by the latest events.

“I tried to fight them to at least put my pants back on, that’s when they threw me on the floor and started kicking the life out of me and tased me I don’t know how many times,” she told local reporters in tears.

Linda Hovensky was beaten, tased and thrown on the sidewalk with her pants down in front a large crowd after being mistaken for a transgender woman
A “visible threat” to police officers

The woman represented a visible threat to police officers on the scene, explains Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman, Allan Jones.

“If the lady had not refused to come out peacefully of the washroom and explain calmly that she was in fact in her rights to be there, there would not have been an escalation of violence. The woman threatened police officers and that is what made things difficult for her and the agents that intervened” said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman, Allan Jones, in a press conference. “She was hysterical and represented a possible threat to our officers who followed all proper procedures in this case,” he adds.

Miss Hovensky was jailed for a period of over five hours at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department because she was unable to identify herself before a friend was able to bring proof of her identity to police headquarters.

“The idiot cops left my purse on the scene and left me to rot in jail for five hours because they thought I was a man? I’m going to sue the hell out of them, you can be sure about that” she told local reporters, visibly angered by the whole affair.

Gov. Pat McCrory signed the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act, also known as House Bill 2 or HB2, last month. The law bans people from using bathrooms that don’t match the sex indicated on their birth certificates, which opponents argue is discriminatory toward the transgender community.

http://www.upworthy.com/one-woman-ha...oom?g=2&c=ufb5

Spoiler:

One woman had a strange, eye-opening encounter in a Target bathroom.

Ellie DeLano

I went to Target with my daughter last week.

Since it was right after dinner and I'd had three iced teas with my Mexican food, I made a pit stop to the restroom first thing while she went on ahead to check out the swimsuits.

I was alone in the restroom. There were two large handicapped-accessible stalls, complete with baby-changing tables, and two regular stalls. I headed all the way down to the farthest single stall, up against the wall, and I sat down to take care of business.

That's when stuff got weird.
The outer door opened, and someone came into the restroom.

She walked past the three open stalls and stood directly in front of my door. Then she leaned over and placed her eye firmly up against the gap between the door and the frame and stared in at me.

I am not making this up. And let me tell you, it was awkward. Bizarre even. This wasn't a case of someone hoping all those occupied stalls aren't really occupied. Mine was the only stall that was occupied. She deliberately stopped and stared in at me. My startled eyes met hers, and she moved away into one of the larger stalls.

I got out of my stall as quickly as I could, and as I stood washing my hands, her voice called out.

"Sorry about that," she said. "But, you know, Target lets men and homosexuals use just any bathroom. I was making sure you were a woman."

I didn't say a word — because I really didn't know how to answer that.
Was she expecting a transgender woman to be lying in wait?

Hoping to ... what? Urinate behind a closed door? Was a pedophile or a rapist in a dress and a bad wig going to crawl under the stall walls while she sat, even though this is a public restroom in a very busy and popular store, when anyone — including employees with walkie-talkies — could walk in at any time and catch them? And don't even get me started about the homosexuals. I guess she's just worried they'll leave homosexual germs around or something.

I walked out, utterly gobsmacked, and it wasn't until I caught up with my daughter and told her the whole ridiculous story that I realized the complete and utter irony of it. This woman deliberately made me feel horribly uncomfortable just because she was uncomfortable with the extremely vague possibility of someone being different from expected behind a closed and locked stall door.

My daughter raised a brow and asked, "Did you tell her that your teenage daughter has a girlfriend?"

"She probably would have blinded me with hand sanitizer or something," I joked.

Anna just shrugged. "I feel sorry for her. I mean, with everything going on in the world, this is what makes her afraid? She doesn't even know how creepy she's being."

Come on ... the woman had to know she was being creepy. And it was really, really creepy. She just didn't care. Either she had an agenda to let me know she was taking a certain "moral" stance about a policy, or she really is afraid enough to do something rude and creepy even though she knows it's rude and creepy.
In the end, she was still shopping at Target because she needed or liked its products, and her fear didn't stop her from shopping.

And transgender people are quietly and without fanfare using the restroom they want to use and going on about their day, and probably most people don't even know they did it. And the pedophiles and rapists of the world will still find a way to hurt people, as they always have, policy or no policy.

And me? I'm still thinking about how ridiculous the whole thing was. My mind runs through all the snappy comebacks I should have used but didn't. I should have blown her a kiss. Or mooned her through the crack of her door.

Mostly, though, I think about my wise and beautiful daughter. The one with the girlfriend. She feels sorry for that woman. She chose compassion instead of offense or rudeness or insult.

But I still wish I'd blown a kiss.
If that had happened to my daughter, I would have called the cops and not let that go. Creepy, disturbing as hell.
Old 03-16-17, 10:09 PM   #578
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
Still radio silence. Hmm.

More stories to ponder the consequences of such 'laws'. One involves a lady being beaten up by cops and humiliated all thanks to a 'good Samaritan'(not). Another involves a woman peeping on another woman in an otherwise empty Target bathroom to make sure the 'right' person was in the stall and how awkward and creepy that was.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/nor...r-transgender/

Spoiler:
A North Carolinian woman was brutally ejected from a ladies’ bathroom yesterday after nearby police officers were alerted by local citizens that a transgender was using a public women’s bathroom.

Linda Hovensky, a 54-year-old resident of Charlotte, was tased multiple times by police officers as she was forced outside of the ladies washroom with her pants down and in front of a large crowd.

“I was taking a crap when police officers started yelling at me and telling me to open the door but I wasn’t finished, so they kicked the door open and grabbed me with my pants down and rushed me outside” recalls the victim, visibly traumatized by the latest events.

“I tried to fight them to at least put my pants back on, that’s when they threw me on the floor and started kicking the life out of me and tased me I don’t know how many times,” she told local reporters in tears.

Linda Hovensky was beaten, tased and thrown on the sidewalk with her pants down in front a large crowd after being mistaken for a transgender woman
A “visible threat” to police officers

The woman represented a visible threat to police officers on the scene, explains Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman, Allan Jones.

“If the lady had not refused to come out peacefully of the washroom and explain calmly that she was in fact in her rights to be there, there would not have been an escalation of violence. The woman threatened police officers and that is what made things difficult for her and the agents that intervened” said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman, Allan Jones, in a press conference. “She was hysterical and represented a possible threat to our officers who followed all proper procedures in this case,” he adds.

Miss Hovensky was jailed for a period of over five hours at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department because she was unable to identify herself before a friend was able to bring proof of her identity to police headquarters.

“The idiot cops left my purse on the scene and left me to rot in jail for five hours because they thought I was a man? I’m going to sue the hell out of them, you can be sure about that” she told local reporters, visibly angered by the whole affair.

Gov. Pat McCrory signed the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act, also known as House Bill 2 or HB2, last month. The law bans people from using bathrooms that don’t match the sex indicated on their birth certificates, which opponents argue is discriminatory toward the transgender community.

http://www.upworthy.com/one-woman-ha...oom?g=2&c=ufb5

Spoiler:

One woman had a strange, eye-opening encounter in a Target bathroom.

Ellie DeLano

I went to Target with my daughter last week.

Since it was right after dinner and I'd had three iced teas with my Mexican food, I made a pit stop to the restroom first thing while she went on ahead to check out the swimsuits.

I was alone in the restroom. There were two large handicapped-accessible stalls, complete with baby-changing tables, and two regular stalls. I headed all the way down to the farthest single stall, up against the wall, and I sat down to take care of business.

That's when stuff got weird.
The outer door opened, and someone came into the restroom.

She walked past the three open stalls and stood directly in front of my door. Then she leaned over and placed her eye firmly up against the gap between the door and the frame and stared in at me.

I am not making this up. And let me tell you, it was awkward. Bizarre even. This wasn't a case of someone hoping all those occupied stalls aren't really occupied. Mine was the only stall that was occupied. She deliberately stopped and stared in at me. My startled eyes met hers, and she moved away into one of the larger stalls.

I got out of my stall as quickly as I could, and as I stood washing my hands, her voice called out.

"Sorry about that," she said. "But, you know, Target lets men and homosexuals use just any bathroom. I was making sure you were a woman."

I didn't say a word — because I really didn't know how to answer that.
Was she expecting a transgender woman to be lying in wait?

Hoping to ... what? Urinate behind a closed door? Was a pedophile or a rapist in a dress and a bad wig going to crawl under the stall walls while she sat, even though this is a public restroom in a very busy and popular store, when anyone — including employees with walkie-talkies — could walk in at any time and catch them? And don't even get me started about the homosexuals. I guess she's just worried they'll leave homosexual germs around or something.

I walked out, utterly gobsmacked, and it wasn't until I caught up with my daughter and told her the whole ridiculous story that I realized the complete and utter irony of it. This woman deliberately made me feel horribly uncomfortable just because she was uncomfortable with the extremely vague possibility of someone being different from expected behind a closed and locked stall door.

My daughter raised a brow and asked, "Did you tell her that your teenage daughter has a girlfriend?"

"She probably would have blinded me with hand sanitizer or something," I joked.

Anna just shrugged. "I feel sorry for her. I mean, with everything going on in the world, this is what makes her afraid? She doesn't even know how creepy she's being."

Come on ... the woman had to know she was being creepy. And it was really, really creepy. She just didn't care. Either she had an agenda to let me know she was taking a certain "moral" stance about a policy, or she really is afraid enough to do something rude and creepy even though she knows it's rude and creepy.
In the end, she was still shopping at Target because she needed or liked its products, and her fear didn't stop her from shopping.

And transgender people are quietly and without fanfare using the restroom they want to use and going on about their day, and probably most people don't even know they did it. And the pedophiles and rapists of the world will still find a way to hurt people, as they always have, policy or no policy.

And me? I'm still thinking about how ridiculous the whole thing was. My mind runs through all the snappy comebacks I should have used but didn't. I should have blown her a kiss. Or mooned her through the crack of her door.

Mostly, though, I think about my wise and beautiful daughter. The one with the girlfriend. She feels sorry for that woman. She chose compassion instead of offense or rudeness or insult.

But I still wish I'd blown a kiss.
Jesus... Both of those could be posted, verbatim, to The Onion.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-16-17, 10:42 PM   #579
DVD Talk Reviewer

Snopes says the first story is false: http://www.snopes.com/transgender-bathroom-arrest/

The second example appears real, and is of course lame as fuck. >:-(

We should go to marine-style open toilets in order to ensure everyone's safety.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1299 days 18 hours 59 minutes
Old 03-17-17, 12:32 AM   #580
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Snopes says the first story is false: http://www.snopes.com/transgender-bathroom-arrest/

The second example appears real, and is of course lame as fuck. >:-(

We should go to marine-style open toilets in order to ensure everyone's safety.
I removed the link to the first story once the truth was discovered. Before work, I got swindled by a trans rights Facebook group posting that story, and the page was even dated for 3-16-17. So, even I got fooled for a moment. But there have been some real cases of butch women being violently pulled out of the restrooms for supposedly being 'transgender' such as this case below.

http://www.advocate.com/business/201...oking-man-sues

Free Speech Transgender Clubhouse: "Where Civil Discourse Is Allowed"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/145718109257731/
Old 03-17-17, 08:23 AM   #581
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wfaa....-man/160568442

Happened last year in a suburb of Dallas. (Think I posted in the prior thread).
Old 03-20-17, 10:43 AM   #582
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/co...om-transgender

Interesting opinion.

While I disagree that Charlotte was trying to give special privileges to trans people, I do think the larger point is worth the discussion. Having individual cities make some laws is a bit odd. Can I have open carry in one city but not another? Sales of beer and wine?

Assuming the state had no other laws, having no laws would allow a trans person to use the bathroom they identified with. Like in the majority of states.
Old 03-20-17, 11:23 AM   #583
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Interesting opinion.

While I disagree that Charlotte was trying to give special privileges to trans people, I do think the larger point is worth the discussion. Having individual cities make some laws is a bit odd. Can I have open carry in one city but not another? Sales of beer and wine?

Assuming the state had no other laws, having no laws would allow a trans person to use the bathroom they identified with. Like in the majority of states.
Stripping federal protections would be quite a coup for the 'phobes. By knocking stuff back to the state, county, or municipal level, they can in effect legislate their morality, something they dearly yearn to do.
Old 03-20-17, 11:51 AM   #584
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Interesting opinion.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Individual cities pass local ordinances all the time.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 03-20-17, 12:49 PM   #585
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Stripping federal protections would be quite a coup for the 'phobes. By knocking stuff back to the state, county, or municipal level, they can in effect legislate their morality, something they dearly yearn to do.
Well thats a different issue. I agree discrimination is such a big issue it should be handled at the Federal level. And wish it was. This is more state v. city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. Individual cities pass local ordinances all the time.
I get that. I get that an individual city may need to do something special or unique around their specific issues, that are specific to them.

But it does seem a bit silly to have different laws in the same state. For example it was just in 2013 that Dallas finally passed that beer/wine could be sold anywhere. It was plain silly that some counties were "dry" yet driving 10 minutes I could buy anything.

Home Theater Build
Old 03-20-17, 01:55 PM   #586
DVD Talk Hero

doesn't seem any sillier to me than the fact that you have one set of laws in New York and another right across the river in Newark, NJ. Or Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. Or that one town has higher property taxes than the next town over to better fund their school system.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 03-20-17, 02:50 PM   #587
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
doesn't seem any sillier to me than the fact that you have one set of laws in New York and another right across the river in Newark, NJ. Or Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. Or that one town has higher property taxes than the next town over to better fund their school system.
Different counties in NJ alone have different liquor laws.

One weird thing is that Costco has only 2 locations in NJ where they sell alcohol in the actual store. The rest have those "attached" stores.

Apparently, they were granted only 2 liquor licenses in the entire state.
Old 03-25-17, 12:38 PM   #588
DVD Talk Hero

Transphobic ‘Free Speech Bus’ To Tour U.S. With Message Of Hate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b22b0d1a5022

- Machiavelli
Old 03-25-17, 01:38 PM   #589
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

That's crazy. How can people have that much hate? I'm mean that's a hell of a lot of energy to hate that much.
Old 03-25-17, 02:06 PM   #590
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
That's crazy. How can people have that much hate? I'm mean that's a hell of a lot of energy to hate that much.
Old 03-25-17, 02:15 PM   #591
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That's crazy. How can people have that much hate?
It was taught to them from a "good" book written thousands of years ago.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-25-17, 09:15 PM   #592
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

I hope that if they come where I live they give plenty of advance notice so I can leave some eggs out to rot.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-25-17, 09:22 PM   #593
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
It was taught to them from a "good" book written thousands of years ago.
Does The Bible even say anything about being trans? There are agnostics and atheists that behave more Jesus-like than these supposed "Christians." Or am I being blasphemous?
Old 03-25-17, 10:12 PM   #594
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Does The Bible even say anything about being trans? There are agnostics and atheists that behave more Jesus-like than these supposed "Christians." Or am I being blasphemous?
And what's God's view on semiconductors, inhabitable planets in other galaxies, and Michael Bay movies?
Old 03-25-17, 10:43 PM   #595
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Does The Bible even say anything about being trans?
Trans, gay, pedophile, what does it matter they're all the same.

- Machiavelli
Old 03-25-17, 11:33 PM   #596
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Does The Bible even say anything about being trans?
the bible says that jesus is actually 3 way trans, because he's 3 different peeps at once. Jesus and God are both male (so they say ...) but the holy ghost is totally both sexes at once
Old 03-26-17, 06:02 AM   #597

Quote:
And of course the bus got vandalized. How tolerant.

It's not hate to state biological facts. Biology matters.

This bus wouldn't be a thing if people weren't being demanded to accept ideology that goes against biology, universal truths, reality, etc.
Old 03-26-17, 06:06 AM   #598

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...t-natural.html

Boy sues school since they allowed a girl to change in the same locker room. The boy was told to "tolerate" it.

I hope the boy wins. People should have a reasonable amount of privacy to be able to change in a locker room without the opposite sex changing and standing next to them.
Old 03-26-17, 06:21 AM   #599

Another reason why this bus exists...

Feminism is dead. Killed by transgenderism. They cannot coexist in the same liberal worldview.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...e-on-fairness/

How fair is that? This why the bus exists. There are differences between men and women. Reality matters. Biology matters. We cannot create our own reality.
Old 03-26-17, 06:25 AM   #600
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

It's been explained to you that your notion of biology isn't accurate, yet you ignore it.