Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-14-17, 12:54 PM   #26
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Bathrooms - Maybe Texas Learned From The Mistakes Of Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
And lobiests don't force anything either. They just make clear that if the global warming bill doesn't go their way X Company will move, hire, fire, etc. And it's legal. But most people don't like it. You guys just like this because you agree with the NFL.
Everything you said is true. So?
Old 02-14-17, 01:17 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are giving a pass to a big ugly corporation. Something you normally rail against. Hypocritical? Just a bit.
Old 02-14-17, 01:22 PM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are Republicans so obsessed with pissing? Is that why Trump switched parties?
Old 02-14-17, 01:32 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You guys are giving a pass to a big ugly corporation. Something you normally rail against. Hypocritical? Just a bit.
Well it's not just the NFL. Go back and look at the numerous sports, companies and concerts that no longer are interested in doing business in NC.

The same will happen in Texas. If it passes.
Old 02-14-17, 01:46 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
How are they interfering? Does the NFL not have the right to decide where they do business? A state passes a discriminating law and they are stuck there?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 02-14-17, 02:11 PM   #31
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I believe that companies can do whatever they want, if it's legal. And people have the right to boycott if they don't like the company choices. If that is considered "forcing" so be it. I see nothing hypocritical in it.
Old 02-14-17, 07:43 PM   #32
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Arkansas lawmakers said Tuesday they’re working on a “bathroom bill” targeting transgender people, despite warnings from the Republican governor that such a measure isn’t needed and could harm the state.

A one-sentence bill was filed by two GOP state senators stating only that it addresses “gender identity and bathroom privileges” without any specifics. But co-sponsor Republican Sen. Gary Stubblefield said it’ll require people to use public bathrooms that correspond to the sex on their birth certificate.

“If they were born a male, that’s where they’ve got to use the bathroom,” Stubblefield said.

A similar law in North Carolina has drawn widespread criticism and boycotts from businesses, and prompted the NBA to pull this weekend’s All-Star Game out of Charlotte. The state’s Democratic governor on Tuesday proposed a compromise to repeal the measure. A bathroom bill being considered in Texas has also prompted a backlash, with the NFL suggesting that Texas could be passed over for future Super Bowl sites if the proposal becomes law.

Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson repeated his opposition to pursuing a similar measure in Arkansas.

“I have consistently said that there is no need for a North Carolina type bathroom bill in Arkansas,” Hutchinson said in a statement. “It is unclear as to the specifics of the proposed legislation but if it similar to North Carolina’s, I view the bill as unnecessary and potentially harmful.”

The nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights group also urged lawmakers to drop the proposal.

“Proponents of anti-trans legislation are invoking a boogeyman that simply does not exist - the reality is that transgender people just want to simply live their everyday lives,” Kendra Johnson, Arkansas director for the Human Rights Campaign. “Arkansas should not make the mistake North Carolina made.”

Stubblefield and GOP Sen. Greg Standridge, who also sponsored the measure, said they weren’t concerned about a backlash from businesses. They also said they expect more proposals from other lawmakers in the majority-Republican Legislature.

“It’s a definite thing that there’s going to be a bathroom bill pursued,” Standridge said. “We just don’t know if it’s going to be our bill or someone else’s bill.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0ed_story.html

Once again, what made Republicans wake up in the morning and pursue this stupid bill? How many trans people live in Arkansas? What has the trans community done, or said, to merit such bills aimed against them? Republicans keep interfering with the lives of people they'll never bother to meet.

If the LGTB were a wealthy union, what are the chances these bills would be created?
Old 02-14-17, 08:01 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Sounds like you are ok with this discriminatory bill. Plus, lobbyists and not "lobiests."
Old 02-14-17, 08:33 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0ed_story.html

Once again, what made Republicans wake up in the morning and pursue this stupid bill? How many trans people live in Arkansas? What has the trans community done, or said, to merit such bills aimed against them? Republicans keep interfering with the lives of people they'll never bother to meet.

If the LGTB were a wealthy union, what are the chances these bills would be created?
It's a freaking joke. They are trying to solve a non-existent problem. Let's tackle education, the budget, safety? No, let's target the TG community for no reason.
Old 02-14-17, 09:16 PM   #35
Time Lord

Quote:
Hardly. I have no problem with corporations taking political stances. I try to support corporations whose politics align with my own and try to avoid those whose politics are at odds with mine. Of course it's not always possible to avoid every company I disagree with, or support every company I agree with, but I try.

I would much prefer that each company that had a stance on a particular issue simply had corporate policies in line with their stance, as opposed to spending tons of money to buy off politicians. That's what pisses me off. But if Starbucks wants to hire refugees, fuck yeah I'm all for it. Hobby Lobby wants to reduce the reproductive rights of women? I'm not going to shop there.

Each company has the right to make their own policies and I have the right to choose where to spend my money in part because of those policies. I do the same thing for less overtly political issues too.

What bothers me is companies buying their way into getting what they want. That pisses me off.
Old 02-15-17, 05:26 AM   #36

Well, I don't think there is any mistake in asking men to pee in the men's room, but anyway....

If the NFL and Nba really wanted to take a stand they would pull all teams and all games out of these states. But they wont.
This is just a pr stunt to appease the pc crowd and the lgbtq groups

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 02-15-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 05:41 AM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

"Lobiests"
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 02-15-17, 05:56 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Sounds like you are ok with this discriminatory bill. Plus, lobbyists and not "lobiests."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
"Lobiests"
Since two have pointed this out already, hope that means no future complaints from anyone about "grammar Nazis" or "spelling police" pointing out the occasional error, especially when a few evidently have troubling completing a sentence (fragment) without word omissions, misspellings, misuse of homophones, etc.... Mabuse hasn't complained, and the above can be written off as helpful hints or gentle jabs (), but some get really vexed about having an error pointed out now and then.

The threads are rife with errors, and if all of them were pointed out, that's all that would get done. But it might be a good reminder to those who are constantly questioning the intelligence of others that they might want to proofread their insults carefully before posting.

It does provide some amusement, though. (Also note that this isn't meant to apply to ESL posters, who do better with English than most of us could even imagine doing with their languages).

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-15-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 07:33 AM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
Well, I don't think there is any mistake in asking men to pee in the men's room, but anyway....

If the NFL and Nba really wanted to take a stand they would pull all teams and all games out of these states. But they wont.
This is just a pr stunt to appease the pc crowd and the lgbtq groups
So people and companies can only protest in a way you deem fit or its a stunt or PC? BS. You are free to protest how you see fit, as are others.

Since all but one state allows TG people to use the restroom they identify with and has been that way for years and decades, it would seem those just now making it an issue (when it is not) are the ones pandering.

I guessing you don't care, but inferring a TG Man is not a man is insulting. Also, if you want to "ask" someone to pee somewhere else I have no issue with that (I think stupid, but what ever). But that's not what you want is it? You want a law that targets and insults a minority group. A law that's not inforceable nor that could be applied consistently.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-15-17 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 07:57 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Of all the stupid shit that's happening in politics these days, this fucking situation is unbelievable. Just go in the goddamn bathroom, piss or shit, wash your fucking hands, and leave. You don't need to interrogate anybody about their naughty bits. Mind your own fucking business. Transpeople didn't spend years in therapy and thousands on surgery so they could go into the bathroom and peep at your wife's squalid pussy. Jesus fucking Christ.
Old 02-15-17, 08:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Since two have pointed this out already, hope that means no future complaints from anyone about "grammar Nazis" or "spelling police" pointing out the occasional error, especially when a few evidently have troubling completing a sentence (fragment) without word omissions, misspellings, misuse of homophones, etc....
The threads are rife with errors, and if all of them were pointed out, that's all that would get done. But it might be a good reminder to those who are constantly questioning the intelligence of others that they might want to proofread their insults carefully before posting.
Old 02-15-17, 08:35 AM   #42
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
It's entirely possible that they would if it was that easy. What you clearly can't grok is that the teams in the NBA and NFL are franchises that have existing legally binding contracts. That's why we see these discrimination concerns are related to one-off games that haven't been locked into a contract yet.
Old 02-15-17, 08:52 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Of all the stupid shit that's happening in politics these days, this fucking situation is unbelievable. Just go in the goddamn bathroom, piss or shit, wash your fucking hands, and leave. You don't need to interrogate anybody about their naughty bits. Mind your own fucking business. Transpeople didn't spend years in therapy and thousands on surgery so they could go into the bathroom and peep at your wife's squalid pussy. Jesus fucking Christ.
It never ceases to amaze me how obsessed many conservatives are with private things like bedrooms and bathrooms.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 02-15-17, 09:40 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Since two have pointed this out already, hope that means no future complaints from anyone about "grammar Nazis" or "spelling police" pointing out the occasional error, especially when a few evidently have troubling completing a sentence (fragment) without word omissions, misspellings, misuse of homophones, etc.... Mabuse hasn't complained, and the above can be written off as helpful hints or gentle jabs (), but some get really vexed about having an error pointed out now and then.

It does provide some amusement, though. (Also note that this isn't meant to apply to ESL posters, who do better with English than most of us could even imagine doing with their languages).
Normally, I couldn't give a rip about minor spelling/grammar snafus. Most of them hardly abide the telling.

But honestly... "Lobiests"! That's pure wm lopez territory. I can't even...
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 02-15-17, 09:42 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how obsessed many conservatives are with private things like bedrooms and bathrooms.
Its kind of the point isn't it?

Space Ape stated "This is just a pr stunt to appease the pc crowd and the lgbtq groups"

But since a TG person has always been allowed to use the bathroom they identify with, many states have had formal protection for trans people for decades, and even to this day only a single state has a law requiring a trans person to use the bathroom on their birth certificate,

It is really these new laws by GOP members that are cowering to religious extremist that is trying to solve a non-existent problem.

Home Theater Build
Old 02-15-17, 09:47 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Normally, I couldn't give a rip about minor spelling/grammar snafus. Most of them hardly abide the telling.

What, you don't remember Hobie Lobie?
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 02-15-17, 10:02 AM   #47

Quote:

Hate to break it to you, but it's an actual word. I can use it in a sentence:

"Some neurologists believe that the parietal is the lobiest, while many others believe that the occipital is by far the lobiest."
Old 02-15-17, 10:06 AM   #48
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but it's an actual word. I can use it in a sentence:

"Some neurologists believe that the parietal is the lobiest, while many others believe that the occipital is by far the lobiest."
Yeah I heard it too from Ben Carson
Old 02-15-17, 10:15 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Larry Craig agrees.

- Machiavelli
Old 02-15-17, 10:22 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I'm not in favor of the bill. I'm also not in favor of the NFL and their overbearing practices. If this were any other company I might think differently, but it's the NFL. I have not a single doubt in my mind that this is a self serving act to improve their tarnished image.

And thank you about the spelling. My autocorrect kept spelling it that way. I knew it looked wrong but spell check was very insistent.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-15-17 at 10:28 AM.