Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-13-17, 01:47 PM   #20176
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Official Trump Presidency Thread: David Duke approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterite View Post
You are missing my point, likely intentionally. I'm saying it doesn't matter how low his approval rating is, Republicans will vote for Trump for as long as he is the GOP nominee for president.
Well, okay, that wasn't your original point, but, sure, if Trump were to win the GOP nomination, then of course he would have the overall support of the Republicans since that's the whole point of the primary process. But to me, it's a real stretch for him to win again, not just his unpopularity, but he's is kind of old and codgy now. I don't believe they will make the mistake to take him for granted as an opponent again, as a sitting president hopefully they know better.

I was pondering what exactly is my support for Donald Trump is. And I guess, if I agree with what he is proposing, I support him, if I disagree (which I do on most of the social issues), then I don't. I imagine that was my thought with previous presidents though. As a president, he most assuredly has been disappointing.

I try not to let his tweets and generally obtuse comments make me want to root against corporate tax reform or shrinking government departments just because he wants it. If he were to get impeached because of some type of corruption on his part, I would not shed a tear, other than for my 401k if it were to drop in half.
Old 09-13-17, 02:21 PM   #20177
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, this is a bit surprising to me.
But as with all things Trump, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 09-13-17, 02:24 PM   #20178

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Honestly, this is a bit surprising to me.
But as with all things Trump, I'll believe it when I see it.
It would be a stroke of genius for Trump (and the Republicans) if this was true. No one is asking for tax cuts for the rich. Democrats would definitely be on board too.
Old 09-13-17, 02:47 PM   #20179

Isn't tax cuts that don't benefit the rich completely non-republican?
Old 09-13-17, 02:48 PM   #20180

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The "We need a businessman as president" experiment is already crumbling 6 months in. I think America can only put up with this putz for so long.
The problem is that he is a putz and not a good businessman. I'm not a big Bloomberg fan, but he didn't do a terrible job with NYC. Certainly Herbert Hoover isn't the best example, but there have been former presidents who were also successful business executives and were decent presidents. It's the man that is poor here, not the idea, although trying to run government like a for-profit business is a terrible idea.
Old 09-13-17, 03:16 PM   #20181
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Well, okay, that wasn't your original point
No, it was my original point. You just chose to focus on my hyperbole instead.
Old 09-13-17, 03:25 PM   #20182
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
The problem is that he is a putz and not a good businessman. I'm not a big Bloomberg fan, but he didn't do a terrible job with NYC. Certainly Herbert Hoover isn't the best example, but there have been former presidents who were also successful business executives and were decent presidents. It's the man that is poor here, not the idea, although trying to run government like a for-profit business is a terrible idea.
The big problem is that people are learning that government can't be run as a business as Trump supposedly is trying to do. Even Bloomberg and other successful businessman who have become elected officials learned that quickly. Business are created to make profit and increase market share. Government can't be run that way because most social issues and institutions don't bring either (at least monetarily) but are a necessity to have a first world country. One of the main purpose of government is to tackle these social issues, from poverty, healthcare, education, infrastructure, housing, etc. The return on investment when the government works on these issues is non-existent if we only consider money, profits or market share as the only ways to measure success. But if we consider social progress, creating capable people, providing services at a high level like electricity, clean and paved roads, having well-kept parks and beaches, etc, we see where the return on investment is and how the country stays above many others.

And Trump is running the government as a way to increase his personal business. Anyone thinking otherwise just needs to look at the fortune he's making from Mar-A Lago since he became Tweet in Chief.
Old 09-13-17, 04:06 PM   #20183
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Health Care for all is a multi-Trillion dollar yearly expense. I would like affordable healthcare also, but not if it's going to raise my taxes $50,000 a year so that everyone can be covered at the current costs.

I don't know what the solution is, but Obamacare wasn't it.
$50,000? Really?

And are offsetting that you no longer have to pay health insurance premiums?
Old 09-13-17, 04:13 PM   #20184
DVD Talk Legend

http://huffp.st/ASPHGSh

Hummm....so the official WH spokesperson and suggesting a person did a "fireable" offense by tweeting a less than favorable comment about POTUS.

Now I pretty much didn't know who this ESPN host was till I saw this (now I need to follow her on twitter). I respect that ESPN can fire her, promote her, suspend her or do nothing.

But I do not think "the government" should be stepping in.
Old 09-13-17, 04:15 PM   #20185
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
$50,000? Really?

Not just premiums, but if you actually use any medical services those are covered, so it's premiums+cost of care that you now don't have to pay for, and no way it costs each person in the country $50k more in taxes.
Old 09-13-17, 04:23 PM   #20186
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Hummm....so the official WH spokesperson and suggesting a person did a "fireable" offense by tweeting a less than favorable comment about POTUS.

Now I pretty much didn't know who this ESPN host was till I saw this (now I need to follow her on twitter). I respect that ESPN can fire her, promote her, suspend her or do nothing.

"“I think that’s one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make"

Wonder if she's ever perused this list:

Old 09-13-17, 04:34 PM   #20187
DVD Talk Hero

Typical Sanders garbage.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-13-17, 04:35 PM   #20188

Quote:
$50,000? Really?

I'm not offsetting it, and it would mostly be businesses that would benefit (which I guess is good), so if their costs are passed down with a large increase in salary, sure, that helps. Okay, then I pay around $500 a month to cover a family of 4, plus a $4500 deductible.

Regarding my made up $50k figure, I think the state of California was claiming $400 Billion to cover everyone in their state. Assuming they aren't covering those on Medicare, the Military and half of the cost of those on Medicaid, my guess they are expecting the cost to cover my family somewhere around $50,000 for a family of four to cover the remaining citizens. It's probably much higher actually.

Feel free to try your math to come up with your own calculations, but either way, it's a very large cost.

I'm not against the idea of universal health care, but I need to see a plan that makes sense before they raise my tax rate 20% to cover health care.
Old 09-13-17, 04:46 PM   #20189

Quote:

Why do people become so uppity when a black person speaks out? Jesus.

I don't like ESPN either, too.
Old 09-13-17, 04:48 PM   #20190

Quote:
Feel free to try your math to come up with your own calculations, but either way, it's a very large cost.

I'm not against the idea of universal health care, but I need to see a plan that makes sense before they raise my tax rate 20% to cover health care.
The costs for actual care would be lowered dramatically by a universal system. For-profit treatment facilities are designed to turn a profit, but the government has no such aim. They don't need to worry about shareholder value or any other profit motive. They could also negotiate with drug companies on a mass scale to greatly reduce drug prices.

The tax increase would likely need to be in the mid and very high end. They could structure it so that incomes of 2+ million pay an additional 10% and anyone with income over 20K pays a flat tax based on the number of exemptions being claimed (so people with kids pay more). This prevents low income people being hit and allows the very wealthy to strongly subsidize the program.
Old 09-13-17, 04:49 PM   #20191
Time Lord

Quote:
I'm not offsetting it, and it would mostly be businesses that would benefit (which I guess is good), so if their costs are passed down with a large increase in salary, sure, that helps. Okay, then I pay around $500 a month to cover a family of 4, plus a $4500 deductible.

Regarding my made up $50k figure, I think the state of California was claiming $400 Billion to cover everyone in their state. Assuming they aren't covering those on Medicare, the Military and half of the cost of those on Medicaid, my guess they are expecting the cost to cover my family somewhere around $50,000 for a family of four to cover the remaining citizens. It's probably much higher actually.

The larger the pool, the lower the costs. California is a populous state but if the pool were the entire nation, the costs would go down a lot further.

Second, we should be taxing the rich and large corporations much more heavily. The middle class should see a small tax bump that is more than offset by not having to pay premiums or cost of care.
Old 09-13-17, 05:08 PM   #20192

So our expectation is that Government will be lean and efficient in this one industry, and will not cow-tow to lobbyists from the various sectors of the healthcare industry. Feels like wishful thinking.

And rather than raising everyone's taxes 15%, you would increase the tax rate on the top 5% an extra 30% instead to pay for this? Hmm, actually that part wouldn't bother me
Old 09-13-17, 06:36 PM   #20193
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So our expectation is that Government will be lean and efficient in this one industry, and will not cow-tow to lobbyists from the various sectors of the healthcare industry. Feels like wishful thinking.

And rather than raising everyone's taxes 15%, you would increase the tax rate on the top 5% an extra 30% instead to pay for this? Hmm, actually that part wouldn't bother me
But what has the industry done to keep costs down? Why does a MRI cost more today then when that technology was new? And why does it cost more here then in other counties?

Do you think everyone in the U.K., France, Canada pays $50,000 for health insurance. In fact the US is the only (let me repeat that - the only) industrialized country that does not offer Universal Health Care.

UHC and Single Payer are not the same. Single payer is one way to get UHC, but there are others.

I use to be against single payer. No more. The industry has blown it in the US.

Compare it to like food. We have ample cheap, quality, available food. That cannot be said for health care. They are greedy and have blown the opportunity.
Old 09-13-17, 06:50 PM   #20194
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
"“I think that’s one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make"

Wonder if she's ever perused this list:

Was that published five days after he announced his presidency?
Old 09-13-17, 07:41 PM   #20195
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, looks like a million to me:

Old 09-13-17, 07:48 PM   #20196
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't he splitting it up among several groups? Not sure if any was only getting $25K, though.

I'm surprised the check didn't come from his "foundation."
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-13-17, 09:18 PM   #20197

AP says, "Schumer, Pelosi announce deal with Trump to protect young immigrants; will include border security, but no wall."
Old 09-13-17, 09:26 PM   #20198
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Except Medicare is more efficient than private insurance.

http://justcareusa.org/medicare-rema...ate-insurance/

By the way, kowtow is spelled with a "k" and no hyphen.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 09-13-17, 09:48 PM   #20199
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it just me, or do you think Trump is making nice with the Dems so that come impeachment time some of them are in his corner?
Old 09-13-17, 09:54 PM   #20200
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
AP says, "Schumer, Pelosi announce deal with Trump to protect young immigrants; will include border security, but no wall."
Let's see how long his base puts up with being shit on.