Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-21-17, 12:42 PM   #51
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: Don Jr & Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Honestly I don't see how this ends well for the Republicans in the long run. Unfortunately the real losers in all of this are us, the "common people". We'll keep swinging back and forth between the extremes of the two parties as each sides tries to get their agenda through to counter the "damage" the other side did when they were in power
Extreme relative to what? The Democratic Party isn't extreme. Look at the public policies of other developed nations such as most members of the OECD.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 01-21-17, 12:43 PM   #52
Time Lord

My wife and I will be attending the march in Portland. I'm glad to see a positive outpouring of lawful dissent without many reports of violence. Trump is going to fire up the left in a way we haven't seen since FDR.
Old 01-21-17, 12:49 PM   #53
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Can't tell. Too much rain.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 01-21-17, 12:50 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

So what do the Trump supporters on here think of Trump plagiarizing Bane?
Old 01-21-17, 12:54 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Bane wasn't all bad. He had some good ideas!

Spoiler:
And died like a bitch.
Old 01-21-17, 12:57 PM   #56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife and oldest daughter headed out to the Women's March here in Ann Arbor. I'm hanging out with my youngest and the cats.

I guess I don't see protesting yet. To me you protest because you want to achieve something or fight something. Feels a bit too early to me.

Not gonna argue with anyone going, though. I get it.
Old 01-21-17, 01:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So why did millions of women vote for him.
A good portion of the voting base, men or women will just vote down party lines, that is just a fact, plus Clinton was a terrible candidate
Old 01-21-17, 01:09 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is one of those times where it make sense to immediately show the clear the strong opposition to his (and his supporters) misogynist ways.
Old 01-21-17, 01:10 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There is a YUGE one planned around here today. Know lots of women that are going to be part of the masses.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-womens-march/

Wonder if there will be more in the DC mall area today than there was yesterday.
Yeah, I know a ton of Seattle people there. I kinda wish I was there but I had been thinking it was for women only.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-21-17, 01:10 PM   #60
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
My wife and oldest daughter headed out to the Women's March here in Ann Arbor. I'm hanging out with my youngest and the cats.

I guess I don't see protesting yet. To me you protest because you want to achieve something or fight something. Feels a bit too early to me.

Not gonna argue with anyone going, though. I get it.
I think protests of this magnitude, combined with Trump's low approval ratings, can help politicians on the hill who want to stand up to Trump's administration. If the politicians think Trump has broad support, they're not going to stick their neck out. If they know opposition is a viable strategy with a lot of support, they'll be less hesitant to fight.

Also it shows solidarity for women and groups who now feel threatened by the rhetoric and planned policies of the administration. It prevents the inauguration from being a white supremacist love fest.
Old 01-21-17, 01:15 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Most people don't. And regret? First chance he had to retract and apologize he just minimized his bragging of sexual assault with "it's just locker room talk". That's the behavior of a repeat offender, not somebody that said something they regret and are looking to change.
The sweet part is, all it takes these days is to flip the recorder on your phone on before you enter a meeting. Trump's eventually going to say something far worse as president. And someone will record it.
Old 01-21-17, 01:15 PM   #62

I said this in the other thread and i will say it in here, we are better off with Trump than Pence.
Old 01-21-17, 01:18 PM   #63
Time Lord

I don't know if I agree with that. Pence has some batshit crazy evangelical ideas but he doesn't have a cult of personality and can be fought more easily as he's just another average politician at the end of the day.
Old 01-21-17, 01:20 PM   #64
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The sweet part is, all it takes these days is to flip the recorder on your phone on before you enter a meeting. Trump's eventually going to say something far worse as president. And someone will record it.
It won't matter, the bar is so low that it will be meaningless. We'll need James Cameron to find the bar and raise it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken
Old 01-21-17, 01:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. Pence has some batshit crazy evangelical ideas but he doesn't have a cult of personality and can be fought more easily as he's just another average politician at the end of the day.
Exactly Pence is just another politician which means he can more quietly get crazy shit through. Trump has more of a microscope on him and that brings on the opposition
Old 01-21-17, 01:51 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So why did millions of women vote for him.
IMO? Because his core group of followers WISH they could be like that. They like that a person can be a total dick, not care for another human (unless they are a white male), and still be successful.

I did not want to believe that, but what else is there?

I was on board that HRC was not trustworthy, not transparent, used the Clinton Foundation for arguably person gain and put those that donated to in into some position of responsibility.

Trump is doubling and tripling down on all of that.

Not to mention his pension for bringing the hate against any non-white male.
(Watched some dumbass on TV defend Trumps cabinet pics that is 90% white male by saying "Trump is going after the smartest and brightest". Which of course is a total insult to non-whites by suggesting if your non-white your not the smartest and brightest)

Home Theater Build
Old 01-21-17, 01:53 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Mike Pence might wreck the United States, but Trump is setting course to wreck the entire world order. At least with Pence, the odds of a World War are pretty small.
Old 01-21-17, 01:55 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

45,000 to 60,000 people marching in Saint Paul (only 20,000 expected). It's like the opposite of the Inauguration.

Proud of where I live.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 01-21-17, 01:58 PM   #69

it will be interesting to see the protests when he nominates someone for the Supreme Court
Old 01-21-17, 02:00 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.gizmodo.in/science/trump-...w/56709905.cms

That didn't take long. Trump likely broke law on his first day by deleting tweet.

Yes, yes, it was on his personal account. But you can't hide behind that to get around the rules. If you use your personal account for business, business rules apply.

Whats the over/under on how long it takes for some group to sue him? Either for not divesting his businesses (which appears to be against the Constitution) or stuff like deleting tweets made while representing or dealing with being POTUS?

Home Theater Build
Old 01-21-17, 02:03 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure I'm following the theme of today's protest-of-the-week.

Ladies, I believe you comprise not only a majority voting-age folks, but a majority of all Americans to boot. The CIA World Fact Book shows that there are nearly 7 million more of you than any other sex. If you're unhappy with the result of this election or the ominous future you fear is coming, couldn't you have voted differently? After all, y'all outnumber us stupid guys - anybody you want to get elected and any legislation you want passed, there's really nothing we can do to stop you.

You elected Trump. Not us.

But what the heck... protesting is fun, isn't it?
Old 01-21-17, 02:05 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Not sure I'm following the theme of today's protest-of-the-week.

Ladies, I believe you comprise not only a majority voting-age folks, but a majority of all Americans to boot. The CIA World Fact Book shows that there are nearly 7 million more of you than any other sex. If you're unhappy with the result of this election or the ominous future you fear is coming, couldn't you have voted differently? After all, y'all outnumber us stupid guys - anybody you want to get elected and any legislation you want passed, there's really nothing we can do to stop you.

You elected Trump. Not us.

But what the heck... protesting is fun, isn't it?
How do you know who these people voted for? Every single one could have voted for Clinton.

Notice that these protests are happening in major cities. Remember that cities don't represent "real" America anymore either.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black

Last edited by Draven; 01-21-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 02:08 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
http://www.gizmodo.in/science/trump-...w/56709905.cms

That didn't take long. Trump likely broke law on his first day by deleting tweet.

Yes, yes, it was on his personal account. But you can't hide behind that to get around the rules. If you use your personal account for business, business rules apply.
Title: "Trump Deletes Misspelled Tweet" Yeah, impeach him!

But seriously, it may be time for The Donald to retire his Twitter account. Or at least for someone to accidentally move his phone so he can't find it.
Old 01-21-17, 02:10 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 01-21-17, 02:11 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
How do you know who these people voted for. Every single one could have voted for Clinton.

Notice that these protests are happening in major cities. Remember that cities don't represent "real" America anymore either.
I don't know how every one of them voted, but obviously every single one of them did NOT vote for Clinton otherwise Clinton would've won. No way a candidate can lose with a majority of votes in every single state.

Your point about "real" America is well-made. They're manufactured events for the benefit of the media, who also live only in major cities.