Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-17, 08:37 PM   #51
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mapasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 1,005
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Cognitive dissonance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 10:44 PM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,566
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

The topic of the thread is a legitimate one. If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't participate in it. Don't try to derail it. There is some major thread crapping happening here.
__________________
"I don't know what [Donald Trump]'s talking about, but clearly neither does he."

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 09:20 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,802
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
It will be a better place when shortsighted people like you leave. Don't you have a Patriots game to get ready for? Yay!
This is the only post that has been on topic. It's a perfect imitation of a Trump tweet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 09:52 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,126
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
For fuck's sake, I've never been a conservative in my life. Pro-abortion rights, pro-gay marriage, 100% against the war on drugs etc. etc.

But when faced with the choice between those who are fighting the rear-guard losing battle against social liberalism and those who are (in my opinion) ruining the country with ever more government control over the economy, I choose the former.
In other words, when faced with assaults on actual individual liberty -- militarization of the police, mass incarceration, attacks on gay rights, abortion, religious freedom -- you shrug and vote for conservative economic policies, which you justify by calling "libertarian".

Yeah, you're a conservative who pays lip service to libertarianism.

Quote:
It's either that or stay on the political sidelines like I did for thirty years between 1980 and 2010 when I didn't vote. Yeah, that would be "more" libertarian to do so or to vote for not very pure Libertarians (as in the Party, and which I did do in 2016 because I could not get myself to vote for Trump). But when faced with a choice between not insane Republicans and Democrats, I will vote Republican. In case you haven't noticed, most other libertarians will too.
If a libertarian votes Republican after the Republican party turns fascist, they need to stop calling themselves libertarians and admit that they're neo-reactionaries who only care about maximizing their own liberty and no one else's, even if that means an iron heel stomping on the rest of humanity.

Anyone who actually believes in liberty for everyone has to abandon the Republican party at this point, even if it means siding with Democrats.
__________________
Goodnight, everyone. Tomorrow will be worse.
Blog
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 10:20 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,516
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
In other words, when faced with assaults on actual individual liberty -- militarization of the police, mass incarceration, attacks on gay rights, abortion, religious freedom -- you shrug and vote for conservative economic policies, which you justify by calling "libertarian".

Yeah, you're a conservative who pays lip service to libertarianism.



If a libertarian votes Republican after the Republican party turns fascist, they need to stop calling themselves libertarians and admit that they're neo-reactionaries who only care about maximizing their own liberty and no one else's, even if that means an iron heel stomping on the rest of humanity.

Anyone who actually believes in liberty for everyone has to abandon the Republican party at this point, even if it means siding with Democrats.
I shall let every libertarian I know that they are conservatives. Thanks!

I finally have a reason to join Facebook. Then I can spread the word much wider and farther.

Also, I'll alert the (mainstream) media. They'll eat it up.

__________________
-
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-15-17 at 10:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 11:06 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 31,701
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

When you have to deflect with (unfunny) attempts a humor, that's when you know that Sean was right.
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 11:28 AM   #57
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Roswell
Posts: 2,345
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, maybe we don't tell someone that they aren't *real* Christians or they aren't *real* libertarians. If absolutely nothing else seems to match, they at least felt the desire to self-associate. We owe them the respect of allowing them that. No one here is going to suss out the entirety of anyone's beliefs on a subject, so self selecting "one crucial litmus test" that is only in your own brain does not suffice.

It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?). Or if I said that Sean didn't really care about politics since he didn't change his location after the last prisoners were moved from Gitmo.

Some of us spout facts that are readily disputed, often with humor. I like that about this place. Some of us (not me) spout theories that are readily disputed with logic. But maybe lets allow that there are pro-life democrats and pro gay rights republicans, even if they aren't the party norms. Because, you know, that's an actual fact.
__________________
Then the word lubber becomes one of the more fierce weapons in your arsenal of piratical lingo. In a room where everyone is talking like pirates, lubber is ALWAYS an insult.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 12:05 PM   #58
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 3,610
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I'll alert the (mainstream) media.
Well movelib - I for one enjoyed the Arthur reference and appreciate your point of view.

Judging by the response to your post you may know how John Stossel felt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 12:53 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 18,718
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Well movelib - I for one enjoyed the Arthur reference and appreciate your point of view.

Judging by the response to your post you may know how John Stossel felt.
I got the Arthur reference. I didn't get the Stossel reference.
__________________
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler: Nick is the coolest!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 01:13 PM   #60
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 31,701
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?).
Only if you can back it up, and your hypothetical shows how to not do it, as my avatar isn't "Clamps", but "Roberto". Now who's the *real* Futurama fan, and why should I listen to someone who doesn't even know his characters? See, my point is that your mistake kinda proved the opposite of your point, where there is an *objective* truth to some things, and someone's definition of it can be more *real* than someone else's.

Now stand still while I practice my stabbin'... HiYA! HiiiYAH!!
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 01:19 PM   #61
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 3,610
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I got the Arthur reference. I didn't get the Stossel reference.
read here
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 02:42 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 17,337
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?).
Uh oh. I haven't watched Neverending Story in years. And I forget the big dog's name.
__________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 03:16 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,516
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
When you have to deflect with (unfunny) attempts a humor, that's when you know that Sean was right.
When one has answered several times and keeps getting back the same bullshit, there's no point in keeping it up.

I thought I was at least funnyish.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 03:32 PM   #64
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Between the moon and NYC
Posts: 27,824
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
When one has answered several times and keeps getting back the same bullshit, there's no point in keeping it up.

I thought I was at least funnyish.
I respect your personal beliefs on your voting choices and I respect you as a poster whether I agree with what you say or not.

I think some folks are pretty pissed off right now. We have to try to remember not to take it out on each other. (That's directed at everyone, not you in particular movielib.)
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 04:07 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 20,508
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
While I don't think it's the deciding factor and libertarians usually decide most stuff on principle and when having to decide between fiscal and social policy do so by how important they find the two, there is also the matter of how the two sides treat them.

John Stossel, on his FBN show (which he recently ended), a few times talked about how he was treated at ABC and out in the world. He said conservatives virtually always treated him with respect and were friendly in spite of their many differences while liberals pretty much treated him like dirt. At ABC, he said, Peter Jennings would not talk to him or even look at him or acknowledge his presence when they passed in the hall, or Jennings, sometimes upon seeing him would turn around and walk the other way.
I think it's a chicken/egg thing. Do libertarians align with republicans more because republicans treat them better? Or do they treat them better because libertarians sometimes align with them?

I think the anger that democrats have with some libertarians is that they do, as Josh said, place economic liberty and gun liberty above liberty that might relate to some oppressed populations (that they conveniently don't often belong to). That strikes many democrats as self-serving and shows a lack of empathy. IOW, faced with two choices that they profess to dislike equally as much, they are far more likely to vote with their bank account. Which makes them look less like libertarians and more like republicans that just don't like all of the platform, except the libertarians are worse in some ways, as they profess to be more ideologically pure. That infuriates dems, and may result in the treatment Stossel described.
__________________
"I have dictionary facts to support me." - art

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 04:20 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,516
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I think it's a chicken/egg thing. Do libertarians align with republicans more because republicans treat them better? Or do they treat them better because libertarians sometimes align with them?
As I said, the treatment thing isn't a major reason for anything but it contributes.

Quote:
I think the anger that democrats have with some libertarians is that they do, as Josh said, place economic liberty and gun liberty above liberty that might relate to some oppressed populations (that they conveniently don't often belong to). That strikes many democrats as self-serving and shows a lack of empathy. IOW, faced with two choices that they profess to dislike equally as much, they are far more likely to vote with their bank account. Which makes them look less like libertarians and more like republicans that just don't like all of the platform, except the libertarians are worse in some ways, as they profess to be more ideologically pure. That infuriates dems, and may result in the treatment Stossel described.
I never think of it in terms of my bank account. I'm going to be 70 in about a week and, while I'm not rich, I think my wife and I can make it to the end. And we have no children to leave anything to.

But I think liberal/progressive/Democratic economic policies harm virtually everyone, at least in the long run.

We've actually gone over this stuff before. I remember doing it years ago.
__________________
-
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 04:27 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,024
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
If a libertarian votes Republican after the Republican party turns fascist, they need to stop calling themselves libertarians and admit that they're neo-reactionaries who only care about maximizing their own liberty and no one else's, even if that means an iron heel stomping on the rest of humanity.
You're assuming that libertarianism and fascism are incompatible.

When Milton Friedman attempted to craft a utopia, we got Pinochet.

Reason magazine (the libertarian "Tiger Beat") vigorously defended South African apartheid and gave a platform to holocaust deniers.

And, Christ, have you ever read Ayn Rand?
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:02 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,293
UPDATE: The baby tweeted!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:12 PM   #69
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Between the moon and NYC
Posts: 27,824
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

^

Twitter links just suck here. I'm assuming this is the tweet you're referring to:



I'm liking the consistency I guess? He can stay focused on something. Not that it has any relevance to running the country...
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:15 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
^

Twitter links just suck here. I'm assuming this is the tweet you're referring to:

I'm liking the consistency I guess? He can stay focused on something. Not that it has any relevance to running the country...
That's it
The ONLY positive with Trump being President is Alec Baldwin will have an endless supply of material to make fun of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:19 PM   #71
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 6,702
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
^

Twitter links just suck here. I'm assuming this is the tweet you're referring to:



I'm liking the consistency I guess? He can stay focused on something. Not that it has any relevance to running the country...
Bashing a television show only days before taking office. Sad!

Is he going to live Tweet the Oscars?
__________________
DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Movie Rankings - 2009/2010/2011/2012/2013/2014/2015/2016/2017
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:28 PM   #72
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,402
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

did his "S" key get stuck?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 05:34 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,302
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

If our enemies want to attack, Saturday night looks like a good night. The President will be occupied
.

What a tiny child who's now our leader.
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 06:09 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CharlieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,234
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Are there any Trump supporters here able to defend these SNL-related Tweets? Is this a smart or effective use of the PEOTS' time? I'm interested in a thoughtful defense of what he's doing with these.

To me, and above all, this is beneath the Office of the POTUS. Beyond that, it's a personal attack on the American citizens who work on the show. He is also being critical of an American company for no other reason than they parodied him. And finally, he was on the fucking show just last season!! The cast hasn't changed! Is he telling us that he willingly went on 'really bad television...the worst on NBC'?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 06:11 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 5,215
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Aside from the "hit job" part, I pretty much agree with him. It might be the only thing I agree with Trump on in the world though.
__________________
--Kevin--
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0