Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-14-17, 08:37 PM   #51
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Cognitive dissonance.
Old 01-14-17, 10:44 PM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The topic of the thread is a legitimate one. If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't participate in it. Don't try to derail it. There is some major thread crapping happening here.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 01-15-17, 09:20 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
It will be a better place when shortsighted people like you leave. Don't you have a Patriots game to get ready for? Yay!
This is the only post that has been on topic. It's a perfect imitation of a Trump tweet.
Old 01-15-17, 09:52 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
For fuck's sake, I've never been a conservative in my life. Pro-abortion rights, pro-gay marriage, 100% against the war on drugs etc. etc.

But when faced with the choice between those who are fighting the rear-guard losing battle against social liberalism and those who are (in my opinion) ruining the country with ever more government control over the economy, I choose the former.
In other words, when faced with assaults on actual individual liberty -- militarization of the police, mass incarceration, attacks on gay rights, abortion, religious freedom -- you shrug and vote for conservative economic policies, which you justify by calling "libertarian".

Yeah, you're a conservative who pays lip service to libertarianism.

Quote:
It's either that or stay on the political sidelines like I did for thirty years between 1980 and 2010 when I didn't vote. Yeah, that would be "more" libertarian to do so or to vote for not very pure Libertarians (as in the Party, and which I did do in 2016 because I could not get myself to vote for Trump). But when faced with a choice between not insane Republicans and Democrats, I will vote Republican. In case you haven't noticed, most other libertarians will too.
If a libertarian votes Republican after the Republican party turns fascist, they need to stop calling themselves libertarians and admit that they're neo-reactionaries who only care about maximizing their own liberty and no one else's, even if that means an iron heel stomping on the rest of humanity.

Anyone who actually believes in liberty for everyone has to abandon the Republican party at this point, even if it means siding with Democrats.
Old 01-15-17, 10:20 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
In other words, when faced with assaults on actual individual liberty -- militarization of the police, mass incarceration, attacks on gay rights, abortion, religious freedom -- you shrug and vote for conservative economic policies, which you justify by calling "libertarian".

Yeah, you're a conservative who pays lip service to libertarianism.

If a libertarian votes Republican after the Republican party turns fascist, they need to stop calling themselves libertarians and admit that they're neo-reactionaries who only care about maximizing their own liberty and no one else's, even if that means an iron heel stomping on the rest of humanity.

Anyone who actually believes in liberty for everyone has to abandon the Republican party at this point, even if it means siding with Democrats.
I shall let every libertarian I know that they are conservatives. Thanks!

I finally have a reason to join Facebook. Then I can spread the word much wider and farther.

Also, I'll alert the (mainstream) media. They'll eat it up.

"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-15-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-15-17, 11:06 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

When you have to deflect with (unfunny) attempts a humor, that's when you know that Sean was right.
Old 01-15-17, 11:28 AM   #57
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, maybe we don't tell someone that they aren't *real* Christians or they aren't *real* libertarians. If absolutely nothing else seems to match, they at least felt the desire to self-associate. We owe them the respect of allowing them that. No one here is going to suss out the entirety of anyone's beliefs on a subject, so self selecting "one crucial litmus test" that is only in your own brain does not suffice.

It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?). Or if I said that Sean didn't really care about politics since he didn't change his location after the last prisoners were moved from Gitmo.

Some of us spout facts that are readily disputed, often with humor. I like that about this place. Some of us (not me) spout theories that are readily disputed with logic. But maybe lets allow that there are pro-life democrats and pro gay rights republicans, even if they aren't the party norms. Because, you know, that's an actual fact.
Old 01-15-17, 12:05 PM   #58
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I'll alert the (mainstream) media.
Well movelib - I for one enjoyed the Arthur reference and appreciate your point of view.

Judging by the response to your post you may know how John Stossel felt.
Old 01-15-17, 12:53 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Well movelib - I for one enjoyed the Arthur reference and appreciate your point of view.

Judging by the response to your post you may know how John Stossel felt.
I got the Arthur reference. I didn't get the Stossel reference.
Old 01-15-17, 01:13 PM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?).
Only if you can back it up, and your hypothetical shows how to not do it, as my avatar isn't "Clamps", but "Roberto". Now who's the *real* Futurama fan, and why should I listen to someone who doesn't even know his characters? See, my point is that your mistake kinda proved the opposite of your point, where there is an *objective* truth to some things, and someone's definition of it can be more *real* than someone else's.

Now stand still while I practice my stabbin'... HiYA! HiiiYAH!!
Old 01-15-17, 01:19 PM   #61
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I got the Arthur reference. I didn't get the Stossel reference.
read here
Old 01-15-17, 02:42 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
It wouldn't be any better if I called out Slop for not being a *real* Futurama fan for not choosing either robot Santa *OR* robot Satan (which is bullshit. Really? the clamp guy?).
Uh oh. I haven't watched Neverending Story in years. And I forget the big dog's name.
Old 01-15-17, 03:16 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
When you have to deflect with (unfunny) attempts a humor, that's when you know that Sean was right.
When one has answered several times and keeps getting back the same bullshit, there's no point in keeping it up.

I thought I was at least funnyish.
Old 01-15-17, 03:32 PM   #64
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
When one has answered several times and keeps getting back the same bullshit, there's no point in keeping it up.

I thought I was at least funnyish.
I respect your personal beliefs on your voting choices and I respect you as a poster whether I agree with what you say or not.

I think some folks are pretty pissed off right now. We have to try to remember not to take it out on each other. (That's directed at everyone, not you in particular movielib.)

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 01-15-17, 04:07 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
While I don't think it's the deciding factor and libertarians usually decide most stuff on principle and when having to decide between fiscal and social policy do so by how important they find the two, there is also the matter of how the two sides treat them.

John Stossel, on his FBN show (which he recently ended), a few times talked about how he was treated at ABC and out in the world. He said conservatives virtually always treated him with respect and were friendly in spite of their many differences while liberals pretty much treated him like dirt. At ABC, he said, Peter Jennings would not talk to him or even look at him or acknowledge his presence when they passed in the hall, or Jennings, sometimes upon seeing him would turn around and walk the other way.
I think it's a chicken/egg thing. Do libertarians align with republicans more because republicans treat them better? Or do they treat them better because libertarians sometimes align with them?

I think the anger that democrats have with some libertarians is that they do, as Josh said, place economic liberty and gun liberty above liberty that might relate to some oppressed populations (that they conveniently don't often belong to). That strikes many democrats as self-serving and shows a lack of empathy. IOW, faced with two choices that they profess to dislike equally as much, they are far more likely to vote with their bank account. Which makes them look less like libertarians and more like republicans that just don't like all of the platform, except the libertarians are worse in some ways, as they profess to be more ideologically pure. That infuriates dems, and may result in the treatment Stossel described.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-15-17, 04:20 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I think it's a chicken/egg thing. Do libertarians align with republicans more because republicans treat them better? Or do they treat them better because libertarians sometimes align with them?
As I said, the treatment thing isn't a major reason for anything but it contributes.

Quote:
I think the anger that democrats have with some libertarians is that they do, as Josh said, place economic liberty and gun liberty above liberty that might relate to some oppressed populations (that they conveniently don't often belong to). That strikes many democrats as self-serving and shows a lack of empathy. IOW, faced with two choices that they profess to dislike equally as much, they are far more likely to vote with their bank account. Which makes them look less like libertarians and more like republicans that just don't like all of the platform, except the libertarians are worse in some ways, as they profess to be more ideologically pure. That infuriates dems, and may result in the treatment Stossel described.
I never think of it in terms of my bank account. I'm going to be 70 in about a week and, while I'm not rich, I think my wife and I can make it to the end. And we have no children to leave anything to.

But I think liberal/progressive/Democratic economic policies harm virtually everyone, at least in the long run.

We've actually gone over this stuff before. I remember doing it years ago.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 01-15-17, 04:27 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
You're assuming that libertarianism and fascism are incompatible.

When Milton Friedman attempted to craft a utopia, we got Pinochet.

Reason magazine (the libertarian "Tiger Beat") vigorously defended South African apartheid and gave a platform to holocaust deniers.

And, Christ, have you ever read Ayn Rand?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-15-17, 05:02 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE: The baby tweeted!
Old 01-15-17, 05:12 PM   #69
Admin-Self Banned

^

Twitter links just suck here. I'm assuming this is the tweet you're referring to:

I'm liking the consistency I guess? He can stay focused on something. Not that it has any relevance to running the country...

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 01-15-17, 05:15 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
^

Twitter links just suck here. I'm assuming this is the tweet you're referring to:

I'm liking the consistency I guess? He can stay focused on something. Not that it has any relevance to running the country...
That's it
The ONLY positive with Trump being President is Alec Baldwin will have an endless supply of material to make fun of.
Old 01-15-17, 05:19 PM   #71
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
^

Bashing a television show only days before taking office. Sad!

Is he going to live Tweet the Oscars?
Old 01-15-17, 05:28 PM   #72
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

did his "S" key get stuck?
Old 01-15-17, 05:34 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

If our enemies want to attack, Saturday night looks like a good night. The President will be occupied

What a tiny child who's now our leader.
Old 01-15-17, 06:09 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are there any Trump supporters here able to defend these SNL-related Tweets? Is this a smart or effective use of the PEOTS' time? I'm interested in a thoughtful defense of what he's doing with these.

To me, and above all, this is beneath the Office of the POTUS. Beyond that, it's a personal attack on the American citizens who work on the show. He is also being critical of an American company for no other reason than they parodied him. And finally, he was on the fucking show just last season!! The cast hasn't changed! Is he telling us that he willingly went on 'really bad television...the worst on NBC'?!
Old 01-15-17, 06:11 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Aside from the "hit job" part, I pretty much agree with him. It might be the only thing I agree with Trump on in the world though.