Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-14-17, 11:41 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
When all the libertarians and half the conservatives on the forum switch sides, it should tell you something. There aren't any nuanced views on Trump because there's nothing to be nuanced about -- he really is as bad as people say.
As one of the libertarians, sure, I don't like Trump, opposed him through all the primaries, didn't vote for him.

But "switched sides"? Come on! I wouldn't vote for Obama, Hillary, Bernie, Warren, Biden or almost any Democrat today (maybe Joe Manchin under the right circumstances).

I changed sides 37 years ago. I used to be very liberal (still socially liberal, of course, but economic policy is far more important to me). I can't ever see going back.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 01-14-17, 11:50 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
As one of the libertarians, sure, I don't like Trump, opposed him through all the primaries, didn't vote for him.

But "switched sides"? Come on! I wouldn't vote for Obama, Hillary, Bernie, Warren, Biden or almost any Democrat today (maybe Joe Manchin under the right circumstances).
Congratulations. You like low taxes and lack of regulations. That doesn't make you a libertarian.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-14-17, 11:53 AM   #28
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Best case scenario, the intelligence community uncovers a smoking gun proving Trump is compromised, drops it on the front page of the Washington Post and forces Congress to impeach.

Moderate case scenario, Trump suffers a heart attack while participating in a wargame simulation at Site R.

Worst case scenario, full on military coup.

At this point, Trump poses enough of a danger to the US and the West in general that I have to believe all those options are under consideration.
Trump poses enough danger to the US... LOL.. because he doesn't think just like you right? LMAO. Grow up man. I DIDN'T GET MY WAY THIS ELECTION AND I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME. LMAOOOO.

I will say that during the last 8 years of Obama, I never once sat down and wrote out numerous scenarios and fantasies where he died. Stay classy.
Old 01-14-17, 11:54 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
another anti-Trump thread on a dying forum! keep at it! Change is on the horizon!
"Waah! You guys are being mean to the orange billionaire!"

If you don't like our mostly legitimate criticisms to Trump's bullshit, then either defend him with actual data and policy points, or just go back to your safe-space, you fragile little snowflake.
Old 01-14-17, 11:55 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Trump poses enough danger to the US... LOL.. because he doesn't think just like you right? LMAO. Grow up man. I DIDN'T GET MY WAY THIS ELECTION AND I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME. LMAOOOO.

I will say that during the last 8 years of Obama, I never once sat down and wrote out numerous scenarios and fantasies where he died. Stay classy.
maybe not you but plenty of those on the right did
Old 01-14-17, 12:03 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If John Lewis would just comply and do what he's told, the police wouldn't kick his ass.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-14-17, 12:04 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Congratulations. You like low taxes and lack of regulations. That doesn't make you a libertarian.
Not taking the bait.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 01-14-17, 12:06 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I don't need a return to Establishment if that means continued gridlock. I'd like candidates from both sides who roll up their sleeves, use ideas from both sides and actually get the work of the people done instead of figuring out how to firewall their districts to ensure perpetual reelection. We need a return to the days of normalcy of government that we haven't seen since the impeachment of Clinton in the late 1990's. I don't want the Establishment of the last 20 years. It's so amazingly broken.
I'd recommend states becoming more independent. If this means less federal funds...so be it. If states can be "eccentric" in their social policies, and still thrive and become a representation of success WITHOUT relying on federal funding to falsely give a perception their policies are succeeding, other states can look to them, ask for advice, and emulate the policies. But that would be THEIR CHOICE. It would be...THEIR RISK, and that state's taxpayers' risk. Not everyone else's risk. In this way, I think we'd be a more cohesive nation, rather than having knee-jerk policies forced down our throats every 4 to 8 years.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 01-14-17, 12:10 PM   #34
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
oh, ok, so then by all means proceed.
Old 01-14-17, 12:10 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
And back when libs didn't get their way and were stuck with W someone even made a movie about the hypothetical assasination of Bush. That was the height of class.
Old 01-14-17, 12:15 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's where politics on the internet gets you. Everyone assigns characteristics to everyone else based on their political affiliations.

We've obviously lumped you together with all the Facebook Republicans who do believe that Obama will take our guns and we'll have Sharia Law. And he's a Kenyan-Muslim bent on destroying the USA. And you've done likewise with us Libtards.

Another thing, is that you seem very ... triggered ... by anyone who says something bad about Trump. It doesn't seem to just be silly "death fantasies". There is plenty of reasonable criticism on here, which you can't seem to handle.

My theory is that we're all arguing for the fringe on both sides. And if we weren't arguing for the fringe, there weren't would be much to argue about. Problem is, the "fringe" might be 5% of 200M voters (EDIT: "potential voters"). And so the "fringe" gets a lot of attention when it's "liking" and "sharing" 10M Tweets and Facebook Posts at a time. I won't mention names. But there's, say, 2-3 forum members that are the fringe with die-hard political affiliation on each side. And if it weren't for those people posting all the time, there wouldn't be much to argue about or be "triggered" by.

If you can handle his stop-and-start sentences, I'd recommend Colin Quinn's Unconstitutional special.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 01-14-17 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 12:17 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
One thing (maybe the only thing) that I find interesting about Trump's tweets is that he ALWAYS has to insult the person who criticized him before dismissing their criticism of him. Now, in a perfect world a President would act presidential and the tit-for-tat would be beneath him, but since the core of the earth isn't even beneath Trump and he feels compelled to answer each and every one of them, I keep wondering why he has to be such a fucking child about it. Can't he respectfully disagree with Meryl Streep without claiming she's Overrated? Does the validity of her opinion of him really depend on whether she is or isn't the greatest living movie actress? If John Lewis' district had a lower crime rate, whould he then agree that his election was tainted? It's just such a weird way to respond to criticism, leaving out the widely-known fact that being POTUS involves taking a lot of criticism for everything you do.
Yep, because his fragile snowflake ego can't handle any criticism so he has to belittle the critic first in order to delegitimize their opinion. It's ridiculously childish behavior.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-14-17, 12:21 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You've never agreed with one of the actual libertarians here except by coincidence. You're one of the conservatives.

Quote:
Trump poses enough danger to the US... LOL.. because he doesn't think just like you right?
No, he poses a danger to the US by toadying to Putin while taking a pointlessly dangerous hard line with China. The international version of the Chinese Communist Party newspaper just published an op-ed threatening "a military clash" "if Trump's diplomatic team shapes future Sino-US ties as it is doing now."

Trump is the greatest threat to global stability since Hitler started anschlussing Eastern Europe.

Quote:
This isn't fantasy. Trump is fucking with the forces that actually control the United States. These are powers so scary that Dwight Eisenhower only obliquely warned against them as he was heading out the door at 1600, and Trump is poking them in the eye and laughing, "You gotta do what I tell ya!"

This is not going to end well.
Old 01-14-17, 12:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
And back when libs didn't get their way and were stuck with W someone even made a movie about the hypothetical assasination of Bush. That was the height of class.
The thousands of lives lost and trillions of dollars spent in Iraq & Afghanistan, he's lucky that's all he got.

Not all Trump supporters are racists & misogynists, but all of them decided that racism & misogyny weren't deal breakers.
Old 01-14-17, 12:22 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
oh, ok, so then by all means proceed.
Quote:
it's wrong if either side does it but I'm calling out the right's blindness to the fact that they're just as bad
Old 01-14-17, 12:28 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
another anti-Trump thread on a dying forum! keep at it! Change is on the horizon!
It will be a better place when shortsighted people like you leave. Don't you have a Patriots game to get ready for? Yay!
Old 01-14-17, 12:37 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
You've never agreed with one of the actual libertarians here except by coincidence. You're one of the conservatives.
For fuck's sake, I've never been a conservative in my life. Pro-abortion rights, pro-gay marriage, 100% against the war on drugs etc. etc.

But when faced with the choice between those who are fighting the rear-guard losing battle against social liberalism and those who are (in my opinion) ruining the country with ever more government control over the economy, I choose the former. It's either that or stay on the political sidelines like I did for thirty years between 1980 and 2010 when I didn't vote. Yeah, that would be "more" libertarian to do so or to vote for not very pure Libertarians (as in the Party, and which I did do in 2016 because I could not get myself to vote for Trump). But when faced with a choice between not insane Republicans and Democrats, I will vote Republican. In case you haven't noticed, most other libertarians will too.

- David French
Old 01-14-17, 12:44 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
It will be a better place when shortsighted people like you leave. Don't you have a Patriots game to get ready for? Yay!
Perfect example of ugly behavior from the left that they accuse the right of engaging in, yet they themselves do frequently.
Old 01-14-17, 12:48 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

That's what happens when people get called snowflakes, salty tears, etc. just for pointing out things they don't like about Trump. The biggest difference is that none of us are about to become the President of the United States while engaging in that exact behavior or even worse.

Welcome to now!
Old 01-14-17, 12:56 PM   #45
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Perfect example of ugly behavior from the left that they accuse the right of engaging in, yet they themselves do frequently.
Maybe if we would all stop attributing a single person's actions to vast groups, the conversations would actually accomplish something.

The left didn't tell TGM to go watch a Patriots game, dsa-shea did.

It's the labels and painting everyone with the same brush that has hurt this country more than anything.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1364 days 18 hours 54 minutes
Old 01-14-17, 01:08 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Maybe if we would all stop attributing a single person's actions to vast groups, the conversations would actually accomplish something.

The left didn't tell TGM to go watch a Patriots game, dsa-shea did.

It's the labels and painting everyone with the same brush that has hurt this country more than anything.
I agree with you here but I also attribute it to our incoming President that calls out every single person with a voice on the national stage with Ad Hominem attacks because they have a differing opinion than his. It gets old to try and talk with die hard Trump supporters by pointing out things that he obviously has no understanding of our deficiencies in and get responded with salty tears or I love how he shut down that CNN reporter. Neither of those are an adequate response to real concerns.
Old 01-14-17, 01:09 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
It'd be fascinating to make a thread that organizes presumed personal attributes, and see how we all imagine each other.
Old 01-14-17, 05:03 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Quote:
For fuck's sake, I've never been a conservative in my life. Pro-abortion rights, pro-gay marriage, 100% against the war on drugs etc. etc.

But when faced with the choice between those who are fighting the rear-guard losing battle against social liberalism and those who are (in my opinion) ruining the country with ever more government control over the economy, I choose the former. It's either that or stay on the political sidelines like I did for thirty years between 1980 and 2010 when I didn't vote. Yeah, that would be "more" libertarian to do so or to vote for not very pure Libertarians (as in the Party, and which I did do in 2016 because I could not get myself to vote for Trump). But when faced with a choice between not insane Republicans and Democrats, I will vote Republican. In case you haven't noticed, most other libertarians will too.
This is mostly accurate.

The priority for most people who call themselves libertarian prioritize free market economic (unregulated capitalism, property rights) policies above everything else. Gun rights would come a close second, but everything else (abortion rights, opposition to the drug war, gay rights) are never deal breakers. It's why you see so many guys like Ron Paul, Bob Barr, and Gary Johnson swing between the repub party and libertarian party, but rarely democrats (unless, maybe, they're running as a third party candidate and it would get them on the ballots).

I flirted with libertarianism about ten or fifteen years ago, but decided it wasn't for me. The whole thing just felt like the Republican Party's JV league.

I would wager that it is highly frustrating for liberals and democrats to watch the libertarians pig pile on them with conservatives and republicans, while libertarians will rarely side with liberals against conservatives, even when their ideological issues align.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-14-17, 07:55 PM   #49
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I agree with you here but I also attribute it to our incoming President that calls out every single person with a voice on the national stage with Ad Hominem attacks because they have a differing opinion than his. It gets old to try and talk with die hard Trump supporters by pointing out things that he obviously has no understanding of our deficiencies in and get responded with salty tears or I love how he shut down that CNN reporter. Neither of those are an adequate response to real concerns.
Trump is an equal opportunity offender in this regard, but he goes the extra mile with personal attacks! (At any rate, your telling TGM to watch a Patriots game is not what bothers me, since it was just between you two. Although I think less hate, even on the tiny, tiny DVD Talk forum, would be a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
It'd be fascinating to make a thread that organizes presumed personal attributes, and see how we all imagine each other.
Down that path lies madness and destruction. But I would be happy if we could move away from statements like "libtards hate America" and "conservatives are going to destroy America" and more towards "Senator X proposes legislation that I disagree with, and here's why ..."

But ... I'm on the fence as to whether hope for change exists anymore, or whether serial retribution is really where we're headed.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1364 days 18 hours 54 minutes
Old 01-14-17, 07:58 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
This is mostly accurate.

The priority for most people who call themselves libertarian prioritize free market economic (unregulated capitalism, property rights) policies above everything else. Gun rights would come a close second, but everything else (abortion rights, opposition to the drug war, gay rights) are never deal breakers. It's why you see so many guys like Ron Paul, Bob Barr, and Gary Johnson swing between the repub party and libertarian party, but rarely democrats (unless, maybe, they're running as a third party candidate and it would get them on the ballots).

I flirted with libertarianism about ten or fifteen years ago, but decided it wasn't for me. The whole thing just felt like the Republican Party's JV league.

I would wager that it is highly frustrating for liberals and democrats to watch the libertarians pig pile on them with conservatives and republicans, while libertarians will rarely side with liberals against conservatives, even when their ideological issues align.
While I don't think it's the deciding factor and libertarians usually decide most stuff on principle and when having to decide between fiscal and social policy do so by how important they find the two, there is also the matter of how the two sides treat them.

John Stossel, on his FBN show (which he recently ended), a few times talked about how he was treated at ABC and out in the world. He said conservatives virtually always treated him with respect and were friendly in spite of their many differences while liberals pretty much treated him like dirt. At ABC, he said, Peter Jennings would not talk to him or even look at him or acknowledge his presence when they passed in the hall, or Jennings, sometimes upon seeing him would turn around and walk the other way.

- David French