Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-05-17, 12:36 AM   #426
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: He Said WHAT? The Trump Tweet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Of course I do, but hey, he got the Presidency with it. I must be doing something wrong.
It wasn't just his idiotic/prejudiced/misogynistic statements and tweets that got him elected. Had a regular presidential candidate said and done those same things they would have been sunk long ago. Trump's celebrity and financial success played a big part in him winning the presidency.
When I would criticize Trump to acquaintances of mine, they'd come back with something similar to what you said.

"He must be doing something right if he's winning in the polls."

"He must be smart if he's been so successful in business."

Quote:
And since Trump communicates with the world with dumbass memes, I can't really take anyone to task for fighting fire with fire. Especially an organization he lies about constantly.
You could take them to task but you chose not to.

Quote:
Trump set this tone. We just have to live with it.
That's a defeatist attitude.
It's like a child's reasoning. "They started it!"

Anyway, I'm not going to convince you but I'll say why I don't like the Washington Post doing stuff like this.

It seems like news channels in the past came across as dry to most people. It wasn't until FOX News and outlandish personalities like Bill O'Reilly made news more "entertaining" by presenting it like The Jerry Springer Show, and people who wouldn't normally follow politics, started tuning in. O'Reilly would call his guests "pinheads," and tell them to shut up and people ate it up.

When news organizations begin relying more and more on the entertaining aspect I think that some people, including myself, will view that as comprising their objectivity and integrity. I think it also feeds into the narrative that some conservatives have pushed for a long time, of the biased "mainstream media."

Me personally, I think the kids chorus is stupid. Leave that shit for SNL. But I'm in the minority because I don't retweet or share viral memes and videos. I think Trump's acting like a disgrace, and I don't need a comedy skit from a news organization to tell me that. All they have to do is report the facts, and maybe have some hard hitting editorials.

But maybe this is also an attempt for news organizations to stay more relevant. Supposedly a lot of millennials viewed The Daily Show with Jon Stewart as one of their most trusted news sources. So again, by being more entertaining, injecting their site with comedy skits, that gets them retweets, facebook likes, etc.
Old 07-05-17, 12:49 AM   #427
DVD Talk Legend

My career and background is in the media. I gave up on Fox and CNN long ago as a source for strictly factual info. They are for opinions. I stick to local coverage for actual news.

That's why I don't care what WaPo does, especially since it's just a reaction to how Trump behaves.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-05-17, 01:11 AM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
My career and background is in the media. I gave up on Fox and CNN long ago as a source for strictly factual info. They are for opinions. I stick to local coverage for actual news.

That's why I don't care what WaPo does, especially since it's just a reaction to how Trump behaves.
Interesting. But only local coverage for national/world issues and nothing else?

I enjoy watching CNN but haven't watched in a while as I'm a little busier these days.
When I do try to keep up with what's going on I like to visit a variety of sources, cable news channels, local papers, news magazines, etc.

I avoid AM radio because it's mostly comprised of angry, biased rants, ex Mark Levin. FOX News has been ridiculous and currently has Sean Hannity as Trump's number 1 cheerleader.
I also avoid MSNBC because I really dislike Rachel Maddow's super smugness, and I feel it really gets in the way. Thought it was pretty unprofessional for Lawrence O'Donnell to challenge one of Romney's son's to a fist fight while trying to play up his tough Boston upbringing.

I enjoy reading the HuffPo's editorials. National Review is apparently critical of Trump at times.
Old 07-10-17, 08:49 AM   #429
DVD Talk Hero

"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-10-17, 09:13 AM   #430
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I don't think the Washington Post should be doing stuff like this.
I agree.

I don't think Mr. Trump sets the behavior bar. I think he can go below it all he wants and it's up to the rest of us to keep it at a certain level.

In working with children, there's something called "regressive pull." When the adults responsible for the safety and well-being of children spend so much of their time with the children (summer camp is a great example) it doesn't take long for their behavior to be pretty much just like the kids. Anything a kid can dish out as a normal part of who they are - being impulsive or selfish, using sarcasm as a weapon or letting emotions control their interactions, etc. - the adults around them can get ruled by these same things. When the adult leaders regress they aren't being as responsible as they need to be and poor judgment is often the result. It's why camp staff need breaks, lots of sleep, and a good working relationship with other staff, etc.

In the face of child-like behavior, our job is to remain the adult. Not succumb to regressive pull.
Old 07-10-17, 10:24 AM   #431
DVD Talk Hero

Like, totes illegal, guys!
Old 07-10-17, 10:30 AM   #432
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
For context:

Old 07-10-17, 10:35 AM   #433
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the President. No savies.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 07-10-17, 10:44 AM   #434
DVD Talk Hero

He's going to be "But Hillary"ing till the day he dies.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-10-17, 12:29 PM   #435
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Trump certainly deserves to be mocked. I'm not a big fan of using children as props though. I'd leave this sort of thing to the people on late-night TV.
Trump has earned derision from here to the moon, but I think a serious news organization engaging in it is playing right into his and his minions' "fake news" narrative.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 07-26-17, 12:29 PM   #436
DVD Talk Legend

Yup:

Old 07-26-17, 02:45 PM   #437
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Yup:

Great! Now I don't have to stand for the national anthem or pledge allegiance to any flags!

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-26-17, 03:27 PM   #438
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Yup:

Jeeesssssuuuuuusssss Chrriiiiiiiiiiiisssst.
Old 08-06-17, 12:23 PM   #439
DVD Talk Legend

Turns out that this supporter whom Trump retweeted ...

... is fake. Her profile pic is in fact a model wearing a special T-shirt that makes it easy to photoshop a logo of your choice onto her chest.

Kinda weird that even when Trumpkins create fake black people, they don't want them to be too black.

Blog | Twitter
Old 08-06-17, 01:29 PM   #440
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed that Twitter user about a week or so ago, and I concluded that she was either fake or trying to make money somehow.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 08-06-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:03 PM   #441
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post

Kinda weird that even when Trumpkins create fake black people, they don't want them to be too black.
Not really...

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-06-17, 10:38 PM   #442
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

... is fake. Her profile pic is in fact a model wearing a special T-shirt that makes it easy to photoshop a logo of your choice onto her chest.
Account suspended

Old 08-06-17, 10:44 PM   #443
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this OneNationUnderGOD bot gets suspended next. If the person isn't a bot, s/he's crazy and a total spammer.

Old 08-06-17, 10:48 PM   #444
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Jeeesssssuuuuuusssss Chrriiiiiiiiiiiisssst.

This is exactly what I was talking about with the "fake Twitter" stuff last fall. I'm telling you guys ... Trump's following is about as legit as the 5000 daily website hits my website gets from a network of SEO bots and fake traffic. It's all just fake bullshit to help spread a message, SEO, etc. Fake it till you make it.
Old 08-06-17, 10:52 PM   #445
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Twitter needs to clamp down on the bots, spammers, and trolls.

Old 08-06-17, 11:45 PM   #446
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Twitter needs to clamp down on the bots, spammers, and trolls.
I think there's also an unwillingness to talk about the problems with Twitter. Because everyone uses it, and the powers-that-be don't want to delegitimize it. At this point, it'd be like attacking cable providers.
Old 08-15-17, 06:04 PM   #447
DVD Talk Legend

Since the other thread is accidentally closed.

Sooo... I'm a little concerned with what CEO's are willing to join. Will it be a mix of ideas, trying to influence the system from within government? More likely, they're going to be Trump worshipers.
Old 08-15-17, 06:05 PM   #448
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Per the AFL-CIO President they haven't actually done anything so far. It's a committee to form a committee!
Old 08-15-17, 06:05 PM   #449
Time Lord

The Council has never even met. It's all for show.
Old 08-15-17, 06:39 PM   #450

Trump tweet from 1944