Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-01-16, 04:25 PM   #76
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What changes are needed in the Democratic Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Laugh if that helps. But the day before election day the talk was about how the Republican party was going to be snuffed out of existence with this election... how when Trump loses he was going to take the entire party down with him. This wasn't just coming from far left media, but mainstream as well.
I think that goes to show how lazy the media and political pundintry is.They like to put everything in a nice little narrative with a bow on it. The Democratic Party isn't dead now like it wasn't dead in 2004 and like the Republican Party wasn't dead after 2012.

Democrats definitely need to make a better effort with groups they don't do well with and really need to do a better job recruiting talent at the state and local levels. That said they could do nothing to imrpove their standing as a party and just win by default again if Trump is unpopular in 4 years.

Likewise the Republicans won this year because the Democrats cleared the field for a bad candidate but the rug could all be pulled from under them as they have things they need to work on to.

That said both parties will probably still be around in 40 years each with plenty of wins and loses on their column.
Old 12-01-16, 10:34 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this is a big mistake but they are saying they are not ready for a leadership change.

Old 12-02-16, 12:33 AM   #78
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I think that goes to show how lazy the media and political pundintry is.They like to put everything in a nice little narrative with a bow on it. The Democratic Party isn't dead now like it wasn't dead in 2004 and like the Republican Party wasn't dead after 2012.

That said both parties will probably still be around in 40 years each with plenty of wins and loses on their column.
Wasn't there a similar thread made here about the Republican Party a few months before Trump got elected?

It somewhat reminds me of George Orwell's 1984. In the book, the citizens of Oceania eagerly look forward to the day that their side will defeat Eastasia/Eurasia, not realizing there is no war, and that the illusion of two warring sides is created to keep the status quo and the people complacent.
Old 12-02-16, 01:15 AM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
It somewhat reminds me of George Orwell's 1984. In the book, the citizens of Oceania eagerly look forward to the day that their side will defeat Eastasia/Eurasia, not realizing there is no war, and that the illusion of two warring sides is created to keep the status quo and the people complacent.
It also reminds me of Bill Hicks' bit about the two parties: "I like the puppet on the left! Well, the puppet on the right is more to my liking! Waitaminit, they're connected to the same puppet-master. Go back to sleep, America..."
Old 12-02-16, 01:25 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Makes sense to me.

I'll also add that I believe it's something like 1% of the world that fights with 1% of the world. Like when a fight breaks out in a bar. Most people don't want anything to do with it. It's just a handful of assholes causing the problems.
Old 12-02-16, 01:27 AM   #81
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
It also reminds me of Bill Hicks' bit about the two parties: "I like the puppet on the left! Well, the puppet on the right is more to my liking! Waitaminit, they're connected to the same puppet-master. Go back to sleep, America..."

"Here's Love Connection. Watch this and get fat and stupid. By the way, keep drinking beer, you fucking morons!"
Old 12-02-16, 07:56 AM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Nancy Pelosi getting rehired is a step in the right direction...... just kidding.

why the hell do they rehire her?
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 12-02-16, 08:27 AM   #83
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who should be the "leader" of the Democratic Party? Warren, Schumer, Pelosi?

Will it be Ellison?

Mika seems to have soured a bit on Warren:

Old 12-02-16, 09:51 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The two gangs pretend to be adversaries in front of the public…but ultimately, they’re both working for the same things: maintaining their power, getting richer, and making sure their wealthy backers keep control of the ship-of-state.

-- Jesse Ventura

- Machiavelli
Old 12-02-16, 10:03 AM   #85
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once again, the idea that Democrats have to jump through hoops and twist and contort who they are while the Republicans let it all hang out rears its head again.

Well, let's put things in perspective. The Democrats won the popular vote and electoral votes for POTUS in 2008 and 2012, and the popular vote for this election--and indeed what most of the elections since 1992 (right?). So, because Trump won the electoral vote this cycle, all of a sudden Democrats have to act like Mondale lost to Reagan in 1984? Fuck that. Do they need to step up their game? Sure. But, I don't think sinking to Trump's level is the answer. They need an icon that will excite their base and bring in undecideds.
They have to be the opposition to the party in power. They have to distinguish themselves from the party in power. They have to bring better ideas. And they have to SELL them.
Old 12-02-16, 11:12 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Once again, the idea that Democrats have to jump through hoops and twist and contort who they are while the Republicans let it all hang out rears its head again.

Well, let's put things in perspective. The Democrats won the popular vote and electoral votes for POTUS in 2008 and 2012, and the popular vote for this election--and indeed what most of the elections since 1992 (right?). So, because Trump won the electoral vote this cycle, all of a sudden Democrats have to act like Mondale lost to Reagan in 1984? Fuck that. Do they need to step up their game? Sure. But, I don't think sinking to Trump's level is the answer. They need an icon that will excite their base and bring in undecideds.
They have to be the opposition to the party in power. They have to distinguish themselves from the party in power. They have to bring better ideas. And they have to SELL them.
Yeah maybe next time we should pick someone other than the person most heaped in scandal in the entire party just because it's her turn.
Old 12-02-16, 11:15 AM   #87
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yeah maybe next time we should pick someone other than the person most heaped in scandal in the entire party just because it's her turn.
Agreed.
Old 12-02-16, 11:21 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
ding ding ding ding ding ding
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 12-02-16, 11:37 AM   #89

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Like who?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 12-02-16, 11:39 AM   #90
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Isn't this when someone says the witch is dead?
Old 12-02-16, 12:21 PM   #91
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Like who?
Joe Biden. He could've wiped the floor with Trump.
Old 12-02-16, 12:37 PM   #92

Quote:
Biden didn't want to run so soon after his son's death.

Who else?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 12-02-16, 12:40 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Still hate the fact that Biden didn't run. I still wonder how much it had to do with his son and how much it had to do with the deal Hillary made for it to be "her turn"?

Last edited by Timber; 12-02-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 12:57 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Biden didn't want to run so soon after his son's death.

Who else?
good question..... ask the democratic party. They need one. And so begins the search
Old 12-02-16, 12:57 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Isn't this when someone says the witch is dead?
no its more ding dong the witch is dead. she wasnt a witch but wasnt deserving of the position
Old 12-02-16, 12:58 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Still hate the fact that Biden didn't run. I still wonder how much it had to do with his soon and how much it had to do with the deal Hillary made for it to be "her turn"?
with all those emails on how they basically laughed at bernie, im sure there was a deal made
Old 12-02-16, 01:01 PM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Still hate the fact that Biden didn't run. I still wonder how much it had to do with his soon and how much it had to do with the deal Hillary made for it to be "her turn"?
I believe that Joe Biden was told the fix was in and Hillary Clinton was going to be their choice.
Old 12-02-16, 01:16 PM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
no its more ding dong the witch is dead. she wasnt a witch but wasnt deserving of the position
This is what I meant: McAuliffe - Clinton is done with politics upbeat about working with Trump.
Old 12-02-16, 10:07 PM   #99
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Democrats are in an unenviable situation. If they work towards idealistic principles of being "the party of the people", they're smeared as "hippies" and they lose. If they compromise with the conservative element to get things done in corporate-owned Washington D.C. they're smeared as "sell-outs" and now they lose.

Progressives, we do this to ourselves.
Old 12-03-16, 07:18 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Stick with policy issues and Democrats can develop a good plan for 2020. By now, Democrats should know Trump's weakness is NOT his character, morality, or off-handed remarks--it's with his policies he will make.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."