Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-19-16, 11:09 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

Seems this is going to be a theme for the next four years, and it's going to go beyond the problems we've had in the last few years.

Two incidents from this week. First.

Quote:
A group of white high school students in Mississippi placed a noose around a black student’s neck and “yanked backward,” according to an NAACP leader, who described the incident Monday and demanded that federal authorities treat it as a hate crime.

The black student, a sophomore football player at Stone High School in Wiggins, Miss., was in a locker room on Oct. 13 when as many as four white students tossed a rope around his neck and pulled it tight, Mississippi NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a news conference Monday.

“No child should be walking down the hall or in a locker room and be accosted with a noose around their neck,” Johnson said. “This is 2016, not 1916. This is America. This is a place where children should go to school and feel safe in their environment.”

Initially, the Stone County Sheriff’s Department discouraged the student’s parents from filing a police report because one of the white students’ parents is a former law enforcement officer, Johnson said.

Sheriff’s Capt. Ray Boggs disputed that account, saying he told Stacey Payton, the mother, that filing a criminal case could stir resentment among some students and bring her son troubles at school, according to the AP.

[Former Ole Miss student pleads guilty to hanging noose around statue honoring the first black student]

“It’s probably one of the hardest cases I’ll ever handle in my career, because of the nature of it,” Boggs, who is black, told the AP. “Have I ever had to deal with something like this? No, not from a high school.”

Sheriff Mike Farmer confirmed that Payton spoke with Boggs, telling WLOX that the department did not know any of the students involved other than the victim.

“He wasn’t trying to discourage her. He just wanted her to be sure,” Farmer said.

All the accused students are younger than 17 and any charges will be filed in juvenile court, according to the sheriff’s department.

Johnson said he wants to see the students charged as adults. He said the same students involved in the incident had come to school earlier in the year “brandishing Confederate flags on their vehicles.” He called for a hate crime investigation and demanded that school officials expel anyone who participated.

“Allowing students to commit blatant hate crimes without severe consequences sends a message to students that their safety and well-being are not valuable enough to be protected,” the NAACP said in a statement Monday.
Second.

Quote:

Oberlin College says that there was an anti-Semitic hate crime against one of their professors and his family Wednesday night.

Police said that Benjamin Kuperman, an associate professor and chair of the computer science department, called around 3:40 a.m. when he heard a noise outside his home. He told officers that he found the sea shells on his porch were smashed and a note had been left behind a mezuzah he had hung up on his door frame.

The note was a ripped piece of paper that appeared to have letters glued on reading "GAS JEWS DIE."

Kuperman said they had not had recent issues with anyone from Oberlin College, visitors to their home or any of their friends or neighbors.
Meanwhile, Trump is worried because the cast of Hamilton schooled Mike Pence last night.
Old 11-19-16, 11:27 AM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

It's just locker room racism.
Old 11-19-16, 11:42 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

George Soros and The Clinton Foundation is hard at work I see.
Old 11-19-16, 11:46 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
He told officers that he found the sea shells on his porch were smashed and a note had been left behind a mezuzah he had hung up on his door frame.
I don't understand the second half of this, and WTF on the first half?

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 11-19-16, 11:53 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
A mezuzah is a framed quote from the Torah that Jews hang on the front of their homes. And apparently he had seashells decorating his porch.
Old 11-19-16, 11:55 AM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should have asked for a wiki thread.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 11-19-16, 12:25 PM   #7
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's still Obama's America for two months. Why do you want to hurry him out the door? Why do you want the white guy replacing the black guy so soon? Could it be....racism?
Old 11-19-16, 12:54 PM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwadu View Post
It's still Obama's America for two months. Why do you want to hurry him out the door? Why do you want the white guy replacing the black guy so soon? Could it be....racism?
Yes that must be it.
Old 11-19-16, 12:59 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
A mezuzah is a framed quote from the Torah that Jews hang on the front of their homes. And apparently he had seashells decorating his porch.
I misread the first half, I thought the vandals had left the shells in some sort of anti-semetic tribute to Neptune perhaps?

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 11-19-16, 01:53 PM   #10

Those thugs that beat the crap out of a Trump voter and posted the video on YouTube were charged yesterday.

Quote:
Four charged in carjacking of man taunted with 'Don't vote Trump!'

Four people have been charged in connection with a West Side carjacking caught on video that showed people heckling a man about voting for Donald Trump while he was beaten.

About 12:45 p.m., officers responded to a battery in the 1100 block of South Kedzie, according to Chicago Police. The 50-year-old man told police he was beaten up after a traffic-related argument with three males and two females, police said.

One of the male suspects got in the man’s car and left the scene, police said. The man was dragged as he held onto the car’s window. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment and released.

----

At least three males can be seen in the YouTube video repeatedly punching and kicking a man in a blue sweatshirt. In the background, a man and woman can be heard yelling.

“You voted Trump?” they ask, laughing. Then: “Don’t vote Trump!”

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/crime/218516609-story
Old 11-19-16, 02:07 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Those thugs that beat the crap out of a Trump voter and posted the video on YouTube were charged yesterday.
That's a story about a carjacking involving a white victim. Doesn't belong in this thread, sorry.
Old 11-19-16, 02:16 PM   #12

Hold on now. I keep hearing that Hillary won the popular vote. That makes Trump voters a minority.
Old 11-19-16, 02:18 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Hold on now. I keep hearing that Hillary won the popular vote. That makes Trump voters a minority.

Nice try.

Old 11-19-16, 02:49 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Please. Don't give us any more reasons to make Nazi comparisons.
Old 11-19-16, 03:04 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That's a story about a carjacking involving a white victim. Doesn't belong in this thread, sorry.
Kinda like the facts...don't belong in this thread.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-19-16, 03:07 PM   #16
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The incident in Mississippi happened over a month ago. I'm not sure why it is making the rounds now except because it fits the "Trump's America" narrative. It got plenty of national coverage when it first happened. It certainly didn't happen "this week" as the OP indicated.
Old 11-19-16, 03:35 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Fits a narrative? What kind of narrative is that?

For those who want to claim this was a carjacking, we have video which proves otherwise. It was only after the incident came to an end...that the vehicle was taken. As an after thought to the crime already committed.

If this was a true carjacking, he would been tossed out of his car and the incident would have been over.

And you certainly don't chant "Don't Vote Trump" and "Beat His Ass" if you're taking somebody's vehicle, just hanging around beating somebody up...while the vehicle is just sitting there.

This was a crime based on color and political affiliation. A hate crime. Some of you should be familiar with such a term.

The entire incident should be a hate crime, as well as a carjacking. But this was certainly not exclusively a crime related to a bunch of people wanting to steal a car from another.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-19-16, 03:48 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
The sea shells are how you wipe your ass in Demolition Man.
Old 11-19-16, 03:49 PM   #19
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Fits a narrative? What kind of narrative is that?
Isn't the point of this thread to point out how racist Americans are going to be embolden by Trump's victory? So I guess that narrative.

Going back to incidents that occurred before the election and stating that they fit a pattern of increased minority attacks post election seems a bit disingenuous to me.
Old 11-19-16, 04:08 PM   #20
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Minority attacked at NYC College
(Trump supporter)

“I was accosted, threatened with being lit on fire, and almost lit on fire for wearing a Make America Great Again hat.
This on a campus with a holocaust museum,”

Thomas Arrington is a student at Queensborough Community College. He is black, 20-something and a New Yorker. He’s also a Trump supporter.
Old 11-19-16, 04:27 PM   #21
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mspmms's post is on topic. Some other people are thread crapping.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 11-19-16, 04:35 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trump supporters did get the minority vote, so good call! This should be entertaining to follow.

Old 11-19-16, 05:21 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The sea shells are how you wipe your ass in Demolition Man.
Do we really know?
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 11-19-16, 05:51 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Someone has to say it: It is not good when people get threatened or hurt over arbitrary political views.

Can we all heal now?
Old 11-19-16, 07:52 PM   #25
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Someone has to say it: It is not good when people get threatened or hurt over arbitrary political views.

Can we all heal now?
I think we will have to wait until some gets past their butt hurt of Trump being president. It may not happen.