Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-02-17, 01:00 PM   #126
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

Quote:
There has been a 55 percent jump in the number of hate crimes in New York City so far this year compared to a year ago, driven by nearly double the number of hate crimes targeting Jews, according to the New York Police Department.

Between Jan. 1 and Feb. 26, there were 68 hate crimes in the city, compared to just 44 such crimes during the same period last year, according to the NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force. Between that time the number of anti-Semitic crimes jumped, from 18 a year ago, to 35 so far this year.

No other category of hate crimes is in double digits, according to police.

Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters in Queens today that the anti-Semitic crimes were largely driven by hate crimes committed in the New York City transit system — specifically, swastikas written in subway cars. So far this year, there were 16 hate crimes in the transit system, compared to just five a year earlier, he said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio — who previously said rhetoric from President Donald Trump’s campaign helped lead to this trend — said today that "an atmosphere of hate has been fostered in recent months in America and we have to stop it.”

Other anti-Semitic hate crimes the NYPD has documented include four bomb threats, two at community centers, one at a museum, and one as the headquarters of the Anti-Defamation League. Boyce said police here believe the bomb threats are “part of a nationwide pattern” because “specific verbiage” was used. He also said the NYPD is working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate the threats.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-y...rk-city-110001
Old 03-02-17, 01:05 PM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
False flag operations led by Chuck Schumer and the surviving Beastie Boys, nothing to see here.
Old 03-02-17, 02:46 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
my heart goes out to this woman, but I think what the government is going to do is capture, prosecute, and incarcerate the killer. What else is there? Is there some detail I'm not aware of? Is the court refusing to prosecute or something?

How about just STOP using constant fear-mongering rhetoric to scare your voting base?

As an asian person born and raised in the US, I am not afraid of my fellow Americans in general, but that lone nutjob who finally decides to take his fear to a final level (although there's always the racist a-hole who ruins your day by making their opinion about you known). During 9-11 when I was walking towards downtown to meet-up with family so that we can cross the bridges out of the city, I will admit that "I really hope asian people didn't do this" crossed my mind more than a few times. The minority knows that tolerance by the majority can be tenuous, and be strained when stress and fear is involved.

This was way before Trump, but the concern now is how mainstream and acceptable he's made it. At least for ME, if Trump decides to go into a trade war with China, can't wait for the rhetoric frenzy he'll be pushing his followers into and repercussions to me an other asians.

Long story short: racist crap before Trump already kinda sucked. It sucks more when your own government seems to foster it.
Old 03-03-17, 11:41 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Trump tells AGs on anti-Semitic attacks/threats: “Sometimes its the reverse, to make people — or to make others — look bad," per PA AG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
So they're going to run with this BS narrative that liberals are phoning in the threats and desecrating the cemeteries? Really?
Uh oh! They found someone responsible for (at least) some of the bomb threats and he's not the kind of guy you desperately wanted it to be.

Authorities investigating recent bomb threats against Jewish institutions nationwide arrested a former journalist Friday morning and said he was behind at least some of the threats, describing them as part of the man’s campaign to harass a woman.

Thompson is a journalist who was fired from the Intercept, an investigative journalism website, for fabricating quotes and misleading colleagues to cover his tracks. In an editor’s note last year, the publication said Thompson had engaged in “a pattern of deception” and wrote that he created fake email accounts to impersonate people.

The arrest in St. Louis appears to be the first made in response to a recent wave of bomb threats at Jewish centers and schools across the country in recent days. Headstones also have been vandalized at Jewish cemeteries in Missouri, Pennsylvania and, most recently, upstate New York.

According to the complaint, the woman and Thompson had been in a romantic relationship, and after their relationship ended, he began sending defamatory emails and faxes to her workplace, making false reports that she was involved in criminal activity and making threats to the Jewish centers in her name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2d583d04a2df
Old 03-03-17, 11:47 AM   #130
Time Lord

Well that's fucked up. But that guy isn't responsible for all the threats nationwide, and the chances of all the threats and attacks being due to jilted unstable lovers is slim.
Old 03-03-17, 12:25 PM   #131
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah very fucked up, he's got 9 of them alleged to him?

He seems totally crazy
Old 03-03-17, 03:16 PM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Crazy stalker = Yes
anti-Semite = No

Still no excuse, should be prosecuted and given psychiatric treatment.
Old 03-04-17, 10:59 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see, a guy who was fired from an online news site for fabricating stories decides to copycat antisemitic bomb threats to go after his ex-girlfriend ... but the rightwingers are going to claim he's a liberal who's responsible for all the bomb threats.

Blog | Twitter
Old 03-04-17, 11:27 AM   #134
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Let's see, a guy who was fired from an online news site for fabricating stories decides to copycat antisemitic bomb threats to go after his ex-girlfriend ... but the rightwingers are going to claim he's a liberal who's responsible for all the bomb threats.
I bet he also overturned hundreds of gravestones in Jewish cemeteries in cities all across the country all by himself.
Old 03-05-17, 12:59 PM   #135
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Our country?"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...n-shot-n729161

Quote:
Seattle-Area Sikh Man Shot in Possible Hate Crime
by CHARLES LAM and PHIL HELSEL

Police in a Seattle suburb are investigating a possible hate crime after a masked gunman shot a Sikh man after telling him to get out of the country, Kent's police chief said.

The victim, 39, suffered a non-life threatening injury. He was working on his vehicle in his driveway at around 8 p.m. local time (11 p.m. ET) Friday when he was confronted by a man and shot, Police Chief Ken Thomas said.

"Some comments were made to the effect of 'get out of our country, go back to where you're from,' and our victim was then shot," Thomas said Saturday at a news conference.

The victim described the gunman to police as a white male, around six feet tall and with a medium build. He was wearing dark clothing and was some sort of mask covered the bottom part of his face, Thomas said.

Thomas said police are investigating the shooting as a possible hate crime, and the FBI has been contacted. He said investigators believe the gunman approached on foot. The victim said he didn't know the shooter and had never seen him before, Thomas said.

The shooting in Kent comes a little more than a week after a gunman in Olathe, Kansas, allegedly told two men born in India to "get out of my country" before opening fire, killing one man and wounding two others.

Authorities have said they believe Adam Purinton, 51, fatally shot Srinivas Kuchibhotla, 32, and wounded Alok Madasani, 32, because of their ethnicity. Ian Grillot, 24, was injured while trying to protect the men, police and witnesses said.

Purinton was arrested and is jailed in lieu of $2 million bond. The FBI is investigating the deadly shooting as a hate crime.
Old 03-05-17, 03:56 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hero

One of these days, one of these fuckwits is actually going to shoot a Moose-Lamb instead of someone they mistake for one.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-08-17, 08:09 AM   #137
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
He seems totally crazy
Also crazy : Ann Arbor woman pleads guilty to making up hate crime

Bass claimed her attack was part of the surge in hate crimes following the election of Donald Trump

Bass posted about the attack on Facebook the same day she reported the attack to the police.
Old 03-08-17, 08:28 AM   #138

And I was reading that one of the reported desecrations of a Jewish cemetery was actually done by wind and soil erosion. I understand that it's fun to pin everything on the Trump administration, but to blame him for poorly maintained cemetaries is a stretch.
Old 03-08-17, 09:55 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
And I was reading that one of the reported desecrations of a Jewish cemetery was actually done by wind and soil erosion. I understand that it's fun to pin everything on the Trump administration, but to blame him for poorly maintained cemetaries is a stretch.
Okay, and how do you explain the other 120 incidents of bomb threats and vandalism?

Blog | Twitter
Old 03-08-17, 10:14 AM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Jewish politicians dispute NYPD finding cemetery damage not vandalism
Local officials cast doubt on police assessment that neglect was to blame for 42 toppled headstones at Brooklyn graveyard

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jewish-...not-vandalism/
Old 03-08-17, 10:33 AM   #141

Quote:
Okay, and how do you explain the other 120 incidents of bomb threats and vandalism?
I'm still waiting for a white supremacist to get arrested for one of these recent anti-semitic crimes, or does the media refuse to report it?

I'm not saying that it couldn't have been done by a Trump supporter, it's quite possible, but I'm still confused how it became that Trump is anti-Jewish? Is it something that is well known? Anti-Muslim... yes... Misogynist... possibly... Anti-illegals... definitely, but anti-Jewish? Not sure.

Last edited by PerryD; 03-08-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 10:41 AM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I'm not saying that it couldn't have been done by a Trump supporter, it's quite possible, but I'm still confused how it became that Trump is anti-Jewish? Is it something that is well known? Anti-Muslim... yes... Misogynist... possibly... Anti-illegals... definitely, but anti-Jewish? Not sure.
I think it's the alt-right pepe the frog folks who are anti-jew.
Old 03-08-17, 11:06 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I think it's the alt-right pepe the frog folks who are anti-jew.
That's like blaming anti-cop or anti-white black groups as representing the democratic party or the Obama presidency. Which may have happened for all I know, I don't watch Fox News
Old 03-08-17, 12:11 PM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
That's like blaming anti-cop or anti-white black groups as representing the democratic party or the Obama presidency. Which may have happened for all I know, I don't watch Fox News
Huh? I didn't say Repubs or Trump was anti-semetic, I said the alt-right, including probably steve bannon is.
Old 03-08-17, 12:45 PM   #145

Quote:
Huh? I didn't say Repubs or Trump was anti-semetic, I said the alt-right, including probably steve bannon is.
I didn't mean to imply that, I mean the general sense that Trump has something to do with the attacks.
Old 03-08-17, 12:52 PM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that, I mean the general sense that Trump has something to do with the attacks.
I think the idea is that by Trump allowing an alt-right person like Bannon into his inner circle, that he is sending subliminal messages to those anti-semetic alt-right people out there that their behavior is OK.

That it took so long for Trump to condemn anti-semetic things going on, and that his condemnation was pretty milktoast is also telling.
Old 03-08-17, 02:02 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's pretty simple. When you directly hire somebody like Bannon, you're connected to them whether you like it or not. If Trump and his supporters don't like it, they should dump that idiot now.
Old 03-08-17, 02:28 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
When you directly hire somebody like Bannon, you're connected to them whether you like it or not.

Last edited by inri222; 03-08-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 03:59 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I think the idea is that by Trump allowing an alt-right person like Bannon into his inner circle, that he is sending subliminal messages to those anti-semetic alt-right people out there that their behavior is OK.

That it took so long for Trump to condemn anti-semetic things going on, and that his condemnation was pretty milktoast is also telling.
Forget about Bannon. 45's entire political career has been built upon white nationalism -- Obama is a sekrit moose-lamb seeking to destroy America; Mexicans are rapists; Muslims are terrorists; wasn't it awesome back in the days when cops could attack uppity black protesters with firehoses and truncheons. And now white nationalists are taking his rhetoric as a cue to crawl out of the shadows. He's directly responsible for that.

Blog | Twitter
Old 03-10-17, 10:06 AM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
NYPD intel chief: 1 person suspected in most Jewish threats

New York City's head of police intelligence said Thursday that investigators believe one man using a voice changer and phone spoofing device is behind a large number of the scores of threats made against U.S. Jewish institutions this year.