Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-17-17, 12:58 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

Almost happened.

FBI Arrests Man Accused of Buying Gun for Dylann Roof-Style Attack

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/natio...FlowFB_NYBrand

- Machiavelli
Old 02-23-17, 02:27 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Totally not terrorism.

Quote:
A 51-year-old Olathe man was charged Thursday in a Wednesday night shooting at an Olathe bar that left one man dead and two others wounded.

Adam Purinton was drinking at a bar in an Applebee’s in Clinton, Mo., when he was arrested early Thursday, about five hours after the shooting, police said.

The Star has learned that charges were filed early Thursday afternoon.

Johnson County prosecutors would not confirm that, but said they would make a formal announcement at a press conference at 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon with Olathe police and the FBI at Olathe Police Headquarters.

Purinton, a Navy veteran, was booked into the Henry County Jail. After the charges were filed, Purinton appeared before a judge in Henry County and waived his right to fight extradition.

It was not known how soon he would be returned to Johnson County.

Purinton allegedly told a bartender in Clinton that he had killed two Middle Eastern men, The Star has learned.

He reportedly told the bartender that he needed a place to hide out.

Assistant Clinton Police Chief Sonny Lynch said that a bartender called police after the man talked about being involved in a shooting.

Clinton officers responded and took him into custody without incident. Lynch said the man was not armed when he was arrested.

At least one witness reportedly heard the suspect yell “get out of my country” shortly before shooting men he thought were Middle Eastern. Both men, engineers at Garmin, appear to be originally from India.
Old 02-23-17, 02:49 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

It's only terrorism if the person is brown. White people are just "mentally ill".
Old 02-23-17, 11:36 PM   #79
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

She persisted:

Janet Nguyen, California senator forcibly removed while attempting to give a speech

Sen. Nguyen, a Vietnamese refugee, had begun to criticize the late Democrat lawmaker Tom Hayden just two days after he had been memorialized.

Hayden drew criticism from Nguyen, who said Hayden “sided with the communist government that enslaved and killed millions of Vietnamese, including my family.”
Old 02-23-17, 11:43 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It's only terrorism if the person is brown. White people are just "mentally ill".
After reading the article, do you think this was a politically motivated attack?

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 02-24-17, 07:15 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
After reading the article, do you think this was a politically motivated attack?
That doesn't matter. The politics aren't what get non-white attackers the terroist label.

Here's an article about how it should be defined. And I definitely heard people say the San Bernadine attacks were terroism.
Old 02-24-17, 08:07 AM   #82

Quote:
That doesn't matter. The politics aren't what get non-white attackers the terroist label.

Here's an article about how it should be defined. And I definitely heard people say the San Bernadine attacks were terroism.
Wait, do you think the San Bernadino attack was not terrorism?
Old 02-24-17, 08:15 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Wait, do you think the San Bernadino attack was not terrorism?
It probably was but I don't think it's as clear cut as some think. There is an element of "workplace shooting" that I don't think can be dismissed.

The point is that when a white person kills a bunch of people, the automatic assumption for motives is usually "mentally ill". Brown shooters are almost always assumed to be terrorists.
Old 02-24-17, 09:01 AM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It probably was but I don't think it's as clear cut as some think. There is an element of "workplace shooting" that I don't think can be dismissed.
Quote:
The husband and wife who shot and killed 14 people in San Bernardino, Calif., this month used private online messages to express their commitment to jihad and to martyrdom in the years before the attack, but they did not make those communications on social media, the director of the F.B.I. said Wednesday.

“We can see from our investigation that in late 2013, before there is a physical meeting of these two people resulting in their engagement and then journey to the United States, they are communicating online, showing signs in that communication of their joint commitment to jihad and to martyrdom,” Mr. Comey said. “Those communications are direct, private messages. So far, in this investigation, we have found no evidence of posting on social media.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/u...-fbi-says.html
Old 02-24-17, 09:22 AM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
At least one witness reportedly heard the suspect yell “get out of my country” shortly before shooting men he thought were Middle Eastern
I'm going to go with "yes" here. Racism, nativism and Islamophobia are all political viewpoints.
Old 02-24-17, 09:27 AM   #86
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It happened at a Bar. I'm going with drunken redneck idiot.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 02-24-17, 10:10 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It happened at a Bar. I'm going with drunken redneck idiot.
Thank you for proving my point -- terrorism committed by white guys gets dismissed as something else.
Old 02-24-17, 10:41 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Thank you for proving my point -- terrorism committed by white guys gets dismissed as something else.
When most people discuss terrorist attacks on this board, they are talking about State-Sponsored or Religious Terrorism. Please tell me which one this falls under.

Old 02-24-17, 10:48 AM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

I love that she read her full statement in Vietnamese and was only silenced when she switched to English. Her constituents got to hear her full statement. The senate probably thought it was all multi/culti awesome that she was speaking another language. And then BAM! She's shutting down some dead fuck celebrity who posed as a politician his whole life. Trump haters should love this.

Just say no to celebrity politicians.
Old 02-24-17, 10:53 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

^ And they're going to let her speak on Monday.
Old 02-24-17, 11:09 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
When most people discuss terrorist attacks on this board, they are talking about State-Sponsored or Religious Terrorism. Please tell me which one this falls under.
There you go again, doubling down on a definition of terrorism that's designed to include Muslims but exclude white guys. Sorry, no, I'm not playing this bullshit game. Any definition of terrorism that excludes the Baader-Meinhof Gang, Basque separatists, FALN, FARC, the Weather Underground and the Unabomber is fundamentally broken.
Old 02-24-17, 11:27 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Political stunt my ass, right back at you Elizabeth Warren.

Why hell she just changed my mind and convinced me that the US involvement in the bullshit Vietnam war was justified.

She reminds me of the Anti-Castro Cubans and their black & white political views.

Republican good, hate commies
Democrat bad, love commies

Wait a minute, wasn't it Jimmy Carter in 1979 who doubled the number of refugees allowed into the US from South East Asia even though the majority of the country was against it?

Political partisanship and agendas suck don't they.

Wait a minute, why is this in an 'Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America' thread?

Deflection rules!!!!!!!!

- Machiavelli
Old 02-24-17, 12:16 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
There you go again, doubling down on a definition of terrorism that's designed to include Muslims but exclude white guys. Sorry, no, I'm not playing this bullshit game. Any definition of terrorism that excludes the Baader-Meinhof Gang, Basque separatists, FALN, FARC, the Weather Underground and the Unabomber is fundamentally broken.
Timothy McViegh was a terrorist and he's a white guy. Again, this happened at a bar. Logic dictates that alcohol may have played a part in this. I don't know why that's so hard for you to take into consideration.

Old 02-24-17, 12:48 PM   #94
Time Lord

Quote:
Timothy McViegh was a terrorist and he's a white guy. Again, this happened at a bar. Logic dictates that alcohol may have played a part in this. I don't know why that's so hard for you to take into consideration.
So alcohol precludes terrorism? He attacked people for daring to be brown in America. Whether alcohol helped him decide it was a good idea or not isn't relevant to the motives for the attack.

I don't become a racist when I'm drunk, do you?
Old 02-24-17, 12:56 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You claimed the incident in KC isn't terrorism because it wasn't religious or state-sponsored. McVeigh is neither of those things, either. You can't go moving the goalpost when it suits you.

Terrorism is violence against civilians for a political purpose. Period. When somebody attacks racial minorities while screaming, "Get outta my country," that's terrorism. It doesn't matter if the perpetrator is drunk or not. If the guy were a Muslim and shouted "Inshallah" before shooting, he'd be labeled a terrorist in a second.
Old 02-24-17, 12:57 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
So alcohol precludes terrorism? He attacked people for daring to be brown in America. Whether alcohol helped him decide it was a good idea or not isn't relevant to the motives for the attack.

I don't become a racist when I'm drunk, do you?
If this guy literally just walked up to the other two and shot them for no other reason than the fact that he thought they were middle eastern, than yes, I'd consider it an act of terrorism.

All I was suggesting is since this happened at a bar, maybe something else lead to it. Did it start over something else? Were words exchanged prior to the shooting.

Regardless of how it's defined, it's still an awful thing. That I think we can all agree upon.

Old 02-24-17, 12:58 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Wait a minute, why is this in an 'Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America' thread?
(1) She is a minority (2) she was removed with force and I could argue that it was also (3) an attack on her speech about the persecution of her race and family.

Please see the OP's thread
Old 02-24-17, 01:04 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
(1) She is a minority (2) she was removed with force and I could argue that it was also (3) an attack on her speech about the persecution of her race and family.[/URL]
Yup, definitely a hate crime, I bet the perpetrators were Trump supporters.

- Machiavelli
Old 02-24-17, 01:07 PM   #99

Quote:
Yup, definitely a hate crime.
Quote:
Almost happened.
Old 02-24-17, 07:49 PM   #100
Admin-Self Banned