Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-04-17, 11:05 AM   #451
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Of course, one explanation for that is that the blue states don't mind since they're the ones benefiting from voter fraud.
Link to proof of widespread voter fraud, please. Not "thousands of dead people are registered to vote", or "thousands of people are registered to vote in more than one place". Actual proof of in-person voter fraud. There are a handful of cases over the past few decades.
Old 07-04-17, 11:19 AM   #452
DVD Talk Legend

I know a guy who was offered $300 off some auto body work if he agrees to vote for Trump. Was that voter fraud?
Old 07-04-17, 05:14 PM   #453
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Another possibility is that you don't know what you're talking about.
Or a third possibility is that the smilie doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. To some, it indicates a joke; obviously, it means something different to others.

If we are getting all serious here, it might be pertinent to note that it's harder to prove voter fraud when lax certifying procedures are the norm. You don't notice things when you're not looking for them.

It's like trying to detect shoplifting without security measures in place. The difference is that one could see the effects of the shoplifting when inventory is missing even without security measures. It would be much harder to detect voter fraud unless a serious anomaly took place (higher number of votes than registered voters, for instance, or unusual partisan shifts in demographics that normally lean heavily in one direction).

Btw...if "knowing what you're talking about" was a qualification for posting in this forum, it would empty out pretty quickly.

Just as an aside, it would seem obvious that the red states calling for more scrutiny of voter ID are concerned about fraudulent votes benefiting the Democratic side; the blue states don't seem at all concerned about any possible benefit to Republicans. It would be logical to theorize that the states normally in the blue column aren't concerned that they might be victimized by voter fraud.

Conversely, the red states and blue states may view "voter suppression" differently depending upon whose ox is being gored (i.e. which constituencies are assumed to be affected).

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-04-17 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 06:37 PM   #454
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
... it's harder to prove voter fraud when lax certifying procedures are the norm. You don't notice things when you're not looking for them.
And what makes you think there aren't lots of academics and professional people who have looked into this issue and found nothing?

This is just like a debate on climate change. On one side you have scientists who have invested a lifetime to study the topic, and on the other side you have some nitwits who declare the whole thing a hoax after listening to a Rush Limbaugh show. And you insist we have to be open minded and consider every opinion
Old 07-04-17, 07:26 PM   #455
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I know a guy who was offered $300 off some auto body work if he agrees to vote for Trump. Was that voter fraud?
In my opinion, not necessarily, as you'd have to prove the person voted for Trump and what we have right now in this discussion is voter information being private and prevented from being viewed by official authorities who are asking. So, you'd never know. The person could be voting for somebody else entirely, but said they would vote Trump just to get the discount. In order prove a 18 USC violation, you would need proof the person voted for the candidate that was influenced. And I'm not sure if a discount is the same thing as expenditure and/or cash to meet the qualifiers of the law.

I'm pretty sure both political parties have used the methods you describe. I don't see anything wrong with it. What I do see as wrong, or fraudulent, is people voting under multiple names or being illegal immigrants and voting. For example, if you hold a car wash on a sunny day and offer free car washes to people who vote for a candidate...is that fraud? I don't think it is. Is asking illegal immigrants to vote? It certainly is. Of course in San Francisco, there might be a clash of federal versus city laws soon.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-04-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 05:38 PM   #456
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like in Oregon it's already snowing in July

Man accused of racist attack on Muslim couple weeps uncontrollably on camera

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/13/man-ac...amera-6777463/

- Machiavelli
Old 07-25-17, 05:02 PM   #457
DVD Talk Legend

Caught on video: Man flips over street vendor's cart in Hollywood, unleashing public anger

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/bc0d2da...man-flips.html

Quote:
Benjamin Ramirez took his cellphone and began recording his encounter with a bearded man who demanded he move his food cart off a Hollywood sidewalk. “Move the cart, or I’m going to move it myself,” the man said in Spanish. “Go ahead,” Ramirez said. Up to that point, he told the bearded man in a Guns N’ Roses shirt several times he had room to pass. The man, who was with a woman, was walking his dog. The man then handed the dog’s leash to the woman, and walked toward Ramirez. He held an object in his right hand that KTLA said was a stun gun, causing Ramirez to throw chili powder at the approaching man. Enraged, the man flipped Ramirez’ food cart, spilling ears of corn, serving sticks and items ..
Glad that bearded hipster twat got a face full of chili powder. Supposedly folks know who that asshole is via social media. Too bad no one else was there to stomp a mud hole into that twerp.
Old 07-25-17, 05:10 PM   #458
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Caught on video: Man flips over street vendor's cart in Hollywood, unleashing public anger

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/bc0d2da...man-flips.html

Glad that bearded hipster twat got a face full of chili powder. Supposedly folks know who that asshole is via social media. Too bad no one else was there to stomp a mud hole into that twerp.
Is GnR Bearded Dude really from Argentina? If so, is this Latino on Latino Crime?

..askin' for a friend.
Old 07-26-17, 10:19 AM   #459
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to point out that unlicensed street vending like that is illegal, and the operations profit without paying taxes or passing health inspection, something that every legitimate entrepreneur in the city must do. But the article points out that LA has recently decriminalize the act. What a fucking toilet city.
Old 07-26-17, 10:36 AM   #460
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I was going to point out that unlicensed street vending like that is illegal, and the operations profit without paying taxes or passing health inspection, something that every legitimate entrepreneur in the city must do. But the article points out that LA has recently decriminalize the act. What a fucking toilet city.
Luckily we have vigilante justice to keep these things in check. Vigilante justice: it's like if your racist uncle was Batman!

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-26-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:27 AM   #461
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli