Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-16-17, 10:08 AM   #326
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Attacks on Minorities in Trump's America

Bigots from upstate NY keeping it real.

Black family's garage torched, painted with racist graffiti in Schodack, police say
Hate crime eyed, as police chief asks, 'How do you feel safe in your home now?'

http://www.timesunion.com/7dayarchiv...s-11147194.php

- Machiavelli
Old 05-26-17, 11:30 PM   #327
DVD Talk Legend

And now the fuckwits are moving on to murder. Anyone want to explain how these incidents are fake?

Maryland:

Quote:
The FBI is investigating the murder of a young black man by a white University of Maryland student as a possible hate crime. Richard Collins III, 23, a student at Bowie State University was stabbed to death by Sean Christopher Urbanski, 22, while waiting for an Uber, police say. University of Maryland Police Chief David Mitchell told reporters that he had sought the help of the FBI after finding out that Maryland student Urbanski was a member of racist Facebook group ‘Alt-Reich: Nation’, according to NBC’s News 4.
Oregon:

Quote:
Two men were killed and another was injured by a man who police said was yelling anti-Muslim slurs at a woman in a Hijab on the MAX Friday evening.

The stabbing happened between the Lloyd Center and Hollywood Transit Station stops around 5 p.m. Witnesses told KOIN 6 News the suspect was yelling about hating Muslims and other things for several minutes before people confronted him, possibly trying to defend the young woman wearing a Hijab.

Police said there were 2 young women who may be Muslim, one wearing a Hijab, being harassed by the suspect. Those women left the scene but police would like to speak to them.

“This suspect was on the train and he was yelling and ranting and raving, a lot of different things, including what would be characterized as hate speech or bias language,” Sgt. Pete Simpson said. “In the midst of his ranting and raving, some people approached him and appeared to try to intervene with his behavior and some of the people he was yelling at and they were attacked viciously by the suspect.”

Witnesses said one of the victims was stabbed in the neck and passengers rushed to help them.

Portland police said one man was found suffering from traumatic injuries and first responders attempted to save his life, but he died at the scene. Two other victims were taken to the hospital, where one died and the other is expected to survive.
Old 05-27-17, 07:51 AM   #328
DVD Talk Legend

Oregon one sounds like a mentally ill person.
Old 05-27-17, 08:54 AM   #329
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I agree.
Some of these people are just plain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Like many of the items posted probably it falls more in the crazy group more than racist / anti- semitic pile.
Old 05-27-17, 10:10 AM   #330
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Nice try, but it turns out he's a well known white supremacist in Portland (who may also be mentally ill, but that's hardly relevant -- nobody gives a damn whether a Muslim suicide bomber had mental health issues).

Quote:
I shook the killer's filthy hand 28 days ago. Mine feels tainted now, as though I somehow sanctioned his act, though I was only trying to get some information out of him.

He had just marched through Montavilla Park chanting "******" and throwing fascist salutes, wearing an American Revolutionary War flag like a cape.

It was this act that sparked the first moment of chaos at the "free speech" rally on April 29 in Montavilla Park, which then proceeded down 82nd Avenue, a miserable replacement for a neighborhood parade canceled due to the threat of political violence. The man in the flag cape was quickly swarmed by scrawny young antifa kids, then by officers from the Portland Police Bureau.

After the scrum dispersed, I stood by watching while police searched his backpack. They seemed to know that, prior to the march, he had posted a Facebook message threatening to "shoot to kill POLICE if they ATTEMPT DISARM" anyone openly carrying a firearm to the rally.

"Any guns in there?" an officer asked.

"Just comic books," he said. He was a big fan.

"I think that guy is mentally ill," one of the officers confided.

Almost certainly. But Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35, who was arrested yesterday on suspicion of killing two men who tried to protect two dark-skinned women wearing hijabs from his racist abuse, is also a notorious racist from North Portland who networked with other racists when he wasn't doing time (and, presumably, when he was).

When he extended his hand, I noticed the Nordic rune tattoos on his forearm. On his Facebook page, amid rants against organized religion and memes poking fun at Jews sentenced to die in the Nazi concentration camps, were other posts revealing his crazed "Misanthropic Nihilist" philosophy.

Christian expressed support for "Sanders/Stein 2017″—which some will certainly seize upon as a distraction. And it is a distraction, because the main current of Christian's ravings, online and off, was race hatred. "I want a job in Norway cutting off the heads of people that Circumcize Babies," he wrote.

On a fake news story showing Hillary Clinton wearing a hijab: "I'll knock that Hijab off her faster than you can say Burka in Pig Latin if she steps in Rip City."

He called President Donald Trump the antichrist, but meant it as a compliment.

"If Donald Trump is the Next Hitler then I am joining his SS to put an end to Monotheist Question. All Zionist Jews, All Christians who do not follow Christ's teaching of Love, Charity, and Forgiveness And All Jihadi Muslims are going to Madagascar or the Ovens/FEMA Camps!!! Does this make me a fascist!!!"

And so on: "If you support Israel for Zionist homeland for Jews then you should also support Cascadia as a White homeland for whites only racists…"

"I'm not Anti-Semitic. I'm Anti-Zionist and Anti-Monotheist."

When I caught up with him at the 82nd Ave. march last month, Christian
said he was there to support "free speech" and demanded to know which
side I was on. "Or are you one of these guys that tries to pretend
you're neutral?" he said.

I knew I was on whatever side he wasn't, but I just kept my mouth shut and let him talk. I didn't get much information out of Christian, or his friend, an older guy from the suburbs who was missing a few teeth, wearing dusty black leather biker gear, who refused to give his name because he was "too known."

The organizer of the march, Vancouver's Joey Gibson of the "Patriot Prayer" group that has invited more racist and anti-Semitic speakers to a June 4 rally in downtown Portland, disavowed any association with Christian.

But I got the distinct impression that Christian and his skittish friend had come to the rally with a larger crew.

As we spoke on the curb, I saw them signal to a fat man with the shaved head who was driving a yellow pickup truck flying a "Blue Lives Matter" flag off the back. The truck proceeded to circle the area as the right-wing marchers traded insults with antifa while marching down the city's immigrant main street.

Some reports will emphasize Christian's criminal record and his mental illness, just as early reports stressed the "random" nature of the double murder he is alleged to have committed yesterday, but it would be negligent not to investigate the possibility that Christian committed a premeditated hate crime, and that others may have known of his intention or encouraged him in the act.

The targets of his hate may have been broad—Muslims, Jews, feminists, liberals, police—but there's no doubt Christian had announced his intention to kill.
Old 05-27-17, 10:33 AM   #331
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Like many of the items posted probably it falls more in the crazy group more than racist / anti- semitic pile.
If you keep repeating it maybe it will come true.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-27-17, 11:41 AM   #332
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
And now the fuckwits are moving on to murder. Anyone want to explain how these incidents are fake?
The heroes should have called the police...not intervened.

The story says they were trying to "deescalate" the situation.

Seems like it made things worse.

Don't be a fucking hero. Call the cops, get as much information about the crazy person as possible. Take pics with phones if you can for identification, etc.

But don't...don't approach a person who is verbally aggressive...thinking you will win the conversation by having another dude (or two) with you.

Oh, and just for the fucking record, I've seen non-Whites accost and verbally insult women on MAX (even kids who are skinny or obese). So, any attempts to try and spin this as Trump's America...is just flat out stupid, ignorant, and must be wishing for these attacks to happen...just to prove a political soundbite point.

Who's to blame?

If anyone, I'd say MAX themselves. They have shitty security, always have, and they use their federal money for their administration, not ground personnel who should be riding in every single train car, instead of being in a nice admin building, raking in the 6-figure salaries.

I've seen more security when they reload the ticket machines than any other time. And that's just pathetic and inconsiderate of their passengers.

MAX's main mission SHOULD BE to keep their passengers SAFE.

Of course now MAX will be increasing their security due to the public nature of this incident, but I guarantee, security will drop back to fucking nothing in a month or less.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-27-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 01:56 PM   #333
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The heroes should have called the police...not intervened.

The story says they were trying to "deescalate" the situation.

Seems like it made things worse.

Don't be a fucking hero. Call the cops, get as much information about the crazy person as possible. Take pics with phones if you can for identification, etc.

But don't...don't approach a person who is verbally aggressive...thinking you will win the conversation by having another dude (or two) with you.
I don't know, this comes off as really callous to me. I wouldn't want to be one of those losers that just sits back and videos something like that going on without trying to help. Obviously if the person is brandishing a weapon, you should stay away, but I don't know if I could sleep well at night if something happened before the police arrived and I did nothing to help.

Of course, if you completely lack EMPATHY, you might have other opinions.
Old 05-27-17, 02:29 PM   #334
DVD Talk Legend

Who's to blame?

The murderer.

Trump just helps make racist behavior more acceptable.
Old 05-27-17, 02:47 PM   #335
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I commend the men's effort in protecting those two women. If we demonstrate to the Muslim community that we will protect them from harm, then that will reduce the likelihood of a Muslim wanting to join any Middle-Eastern terrorist organization.
Old 05-27-17, 07:13 PM   #336
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Who's to blame?

The murderer.

Trump just helps make racist behavior more acceptable.
If I was a defense attorney, I'd be using the Blame Trump defense. Continue with this idea, and it just might catch on in the legal community.

Old 05-27-17, 07:26 PM   #337
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I commend the men's effort in protecting those two women. If we demonstrate to the Muslim community that we will protect them from harm, then that will reduce the likelihood of a Muslim wanting to join any Middle-Eastern terrorist organization.
Unfortunately, the Muslim who wants to join a terrorist organization doesn't care about this incident.

However, this incident does demonstrate how you do not want to involve yourself over a verbal assault situation, and think you're gonna somehow be the hero of the day.

Commending these three individuals for getting themselves killed and potentially other passengers, when the reports I've read said this was entirely verbal, and nothing physical, is not well placed and should not be recommended to anyone.

These men probably thought they could overcome the person...and were surprised. A little common sense would have told them the person was highly agitated and would snap, simply due to the verbal assaults the person was saying.

They should have called the police. The police would have met the person at the next stop.

Two people would still be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I don't know, this comes off as really callous to me. I wouldn't want to be one of those losers that just sits back and videos something like that going on without trying to help. Obviously if the person is brandishing a weapon, you should stay away, but I don't know if I could sleep well at night if something happened before the police arrived and I did nothing to help.

Of course, if you completely lack EMPATHY, you might have other opinions.
Showing empathy does not mean exclusively putting yourself into a physical situation that is entirely VERBAL.

I don't think you're understanding the situation here. If the two women were being beaten...then hell yeah, I would intervene. But in a verbal assault, in this type of situation, MAX security could have been notified as well as the police, the person would have been detained at the upcoming MAX stop. I've ridden MAX enough and have seen plenty of verbal fights and where people were dialing the cops and the situation deescalated, key word here, when the cops met the people involved at the next stop.

If you're ok with confronting somebody verbally assaulting others...knock yourself out, buddy. But you damn well better be sure that fucker doesn't have a knife (like in this case) or a gun, or just knows how to throw you down and kick the shit out of you.

If you think it's worth being the Verbal Police on a daily basis, going around and making sure everyone is nice to each other, you could also get others hurt in the process.

Ever think about that?

Because these three men who got themselves involved, triggered this man, and he could have killed other people on the mass transit train.

So, think about that before you just blabber off at the mouth and call other people unsympathetic. Maybe other people just have a more intelligent way to handle the situation...where everyone stays the fuck alive in the process.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-27-17 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 08:39 PM   #338
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If I was a defense attorney, I'd be using the Blame Trump defense. Continue with this idea, and it just might catch on in the legal community.
*checks post to see if I blamed Trump*
*did not blame Trump*
*continue to ignore Polizei's rants that are simply contrary for the sake of being contrary*
Old 05-28-17, 03:16 AM   #339
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Muslim who wants to join a terrorist organization doesn't care about this incident.

However, this incident does demonstrate how you do not want to involve yourself over a verbal assault situation, and think you're gonna somehow be the hero of the day.

Commending these three individuals for getting themselves killed and potentially other passengers, when the reports I've read said this was entirely verbal, and nothing physical, is not well placed and should not be recommended to anyone.

These men probably thought they could overcome the person...and were surprised. A little common sense would have told them the person was highly agitated and would snap, simply due to the verbal assaults the person was saying.

They should have called the police. The police would have met the person at the next stop.

Two people would still be alive.
The murders happened during a train ride.
It's easy to say, in hindsight, that the men should have called the police and taken pictures; it's also easy to say that those two women may have been killed if these gentleman decided to call the police and just... what, wait for the ride to finish? It's 2017: if the heroes weren't taking pictures, most likely someone else was.

Perhaps you're in the minority when you believe that these gentlemen made a mistake. Don't understand how your first thoughts are criticizing the heroes, and not the white supremacist who, based on the evidence so far, committed a double murder. Pretty sure the Muslim communities across the country are grateful for these men's actions, and that these are the type of men who they want in their communities or countries.

If we treat a certain group of people in our country with respect, the chances of them physically harming us goes down, no? Shouldn't we be taking the steps necessary to persuade people from joining harmful organizations?
Old 05-28-17, 01:32 PM   #340
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The guy could have yelled out "I am doing this because of Trump" with each stab and DVDP would still try to explain it away.
Old 05-28-17, 07:15 PM   #341
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-28-17, 07:21 PM   #342
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
The guy could have yelled out "I am doing this because of Trump" with each stab and DVDP would still try to explain it away.
Not to explain it away but it seems that Jeremy Christian was a supporter of Bernie Sanders (and Jill Stein).

link

link

link

link

This guy described himself as a nihilist had a long history with police and kinda nuts

Last edited by mspmms; 05-28-17 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 01:18 AM   #343
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
*checks post to see if I blamed Trump*
*did not blame Trump*
*continue to ignore Polizei's rants that are simply contrary for the sake of being contrary*
Or maybe cut him some slack in this case because so many posters here just make mistaken assumptions in advance and start attacking straw men.

You just did it yourself in the monuments thread.
Old 05-29-17, 10:55 AM   #344
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Or maybe cut him some slack in this case because so many posters here just make mistaken assumptions in advance and start attacking straw men.

You just did it yourself in the monuments thread.
He quoted my post

And no I didn't in the monuments thread, but keep telling yourself that you're right. It's what you do best.
Old 05-29-17, 11:06 AM   #345
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
He quoted my post

And no I didn't in the monuments thread, but keep telling yourself that you're right. It's what you do best.
I would point out that you seem quite confident of your positions and aren't inclined to admission of being wrong...even when proven wrong, as with the monuments thread...but that would might be interpreted as "calling out" other members and get the thread locked.

Because it's fine for one side to ignore any or all of the "rules" with impunity, but the circling the wagons begins even from those having the ability to lock threads (ironically, demonstrating the one point that hadn't been illustrated). We cannot brook dissent!!!

By the way, you gave a perfect example of Taliban Tactic #1 & 2 above. We didn't have time to add amendments as was being suggested, otherwise you might have achieved a trifecta by dodging, dipping, ducking, and deflecting in order to avoid taking responsibility for your error.

Unlike your post, that's based upon fact. But never mind...you're on the side of the righteous, so who's counting?

Feel free to multi-quote, and thanks for teaching that skill!

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-29-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 12:01 PM   #346
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for proving my point! This IS fun.

I do love that your thread got locked so you're spilling that nonsense into other threads.
Old 05-29-17, 12:04 PM   #347
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well, credit is due where it's due. You were a wonderful tutor, and the multi-quote has been very handy lately.

Now if you can teach me to underline when editing, I'd be very grateful.
Old 05-29-17, 12:21 PM   #348
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

I do love that your thread got locked so you're spilling that nonsense into other threads.
It's not even worth trying to argue with him Draven. The spewing of hate, intolerance and discrimination is too much and too one sided. When one uses fanatical religious beliefs to reinforce their one sided argument...there is no coming back from that.

Put him on ignore and move on. Its not worth debating a brick wall.
Old 05-29-17, 12:33 PM   #349
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't forget saying it was others trying to get threads locked.

Meltdown™
Old 05-29-17, 12:49 PM   #350
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Don't forget saying it was others trying to get threads locked.

Meltdown™
It's always someone else's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
It's not even worth trying to argue with him Draven. The spewing of hate, intolerance and discrimination is too much and too one sided. When one uses fanatical religious beliefs to reinforce their one sided argument...there is no coming back from that.

Put him on ignore and move on. Its not worth debating a brick wall.
Extremely good advice