Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-08-17, 08:39 AM   #2551
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Random Political Memes Thread

Old 05-08-17, 08:42 AM   #2552
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 08:43 AM   #2553
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 08:45 AM   #2554
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-08-17, 08:46 AM   #2555
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-08-17, 08:46 AM   #2556
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I know I'm gonna regret asking this, but why do conservatives have such a problem with Bill Nye? I see you and Space Ape posting several memes blasting him. I know he doesn't have the academic background of other intellectual commentators like say, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but I've never heard him say anything that's really out there, factually.
It's because he's vocal about climate change. Couple that with his perceived lack of academic background and he becomes an easy target. Of course, the irony is that none of his detractors are as educated as he is otherwise they'd agree with his points on climate change.
Old 05-08-17, 08:50 AM   #2557
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 08:52 AM   #2558
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 09:01 AM   #2559
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 09:02 AM   #2560
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 09:03 AM   #2561
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
It's because he's vocal about climate change. Couple that with his perceived lack of academic background and he becomes an easy target. Of course, the irony is that none of his detractors are as educated as he is otherwise they'd agree with his points on climate change.
If he was a supporter of "Creation Science" he would be one of their celebrity heroes. Academic background? Who cares as long as he can quote scripture.
Old 05-08-17, 09:06 AM   #2562
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-08-17, 09:06 AM   #2563
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 09:38 AM   #2564
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I don't like him because he's a children's show hack. It's like HR Puffnstuff trying to make the TV talk show rounds in 2017. Go away. You sucked 25 years ago. Guess what? You still suck.

Seriously, go find a clip of his old show on YouTube. It was so ADD and hyperactive. It was total garbage. I watched Mr. Wizard. That guy's show was measured and calm? Like Mr. Rodgers. Nye is a hack who sucks.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-08-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 10:24 AM   #2565
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
That act is not very good. BUT ... I'm someone who can't say the word "sex" with my parents in the same home (well, if I don't feel like I want to die ... or just get in my car and drive and never come back). Awkward as it might be, people should let their kids watch that. And be okay talking about it. And open them up to the words. That video can help break down some walls. I assume that was his goal.
I'm familiar with being awkward with sex around your parents but you've gotta be out of your mind to think that was something kids should watch. Someone referring to their genitals as "junk" and using words like "power bottom" and "Fleshlight while on Skype".

Might as well just have them listen to Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle in place of sex ed.

Also, kids should watch things that are good. That was hacky shit regardless of the subject matter. Absolutely horrendously shitty.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-08-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 10:43 AM   #2566
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 10:50 AM   #2567
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 10:54 AM   #2568
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 11:10 AM   #2569
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 11:26 AM   #2570
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I forgot about that guy. What was his name? Wasn't he a raging hypocrite who railed against gays while he was receiving BJs in public restrooms?
Old 05-08-17, 11:45 AM   #2571
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I forgot about that guy. What was his name? Wasn't he a raging hypocrite who railed against gays while he was receiving BJs in public restrooms?
Ted Haggard, evangelical pastor was accused by a male prostitute of engaging in sex with him for a three year period. The accuser also said that he used Meth with Haggard.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 11:59 AM   #2572
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, so many hypocrites to remember.

Found this little tidbit in his Wikipedia page

Quote:
In early 2006, evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins interviewed Haggard as part of a British television documentary entitled The Root of All Evil?.[82] During this interview, Dawkins spoke with Haggard about contradictions between the cumulative knowledge produced by science, and a literal interpretation of the Bible (particularly its account of creation). In response, Haggard claimed to "fully embrace the scientific method." Haggard then stated that the conclusions of that method regarding the age of the earth and evolution were only the result of "some of the views that are accepted in some portions of the scientific community." According to Dawkins in the documentary, he and his camera crew were approached by Haggard in his vehicle as they were exiting church property following the interview. Haggard allegedly demanded they leave or he would have them "thrown in jail" and would "seize the film".
Old 05-08-17, 01:33 PM   #2573
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 01:44 PM   #2574
DVD Talk Hero

- Machiavelli
Old 05-08-17, 07:59 PM   #2575
DVD Talk Legend

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.