Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-11-17, 03:18 PM   #4701
DVD Talk Legend

re: Trumpocalypse Now: 4 days remaining... "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I didn't watch the conference, but he supposedly said about the BBC, "Well, that's another beauty."
Yep, he did. And the guy graciously said "well thank you".
Old 01-11-17, 03:24 PM   #4702
DVD Talk Legend

re: Trumpocalypse Now: 4 days remaining... "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I didn't watch the conference, but he supposedly said about the BBC, "Well, that's another beauty."

Do Bill and Hillary still want to go to the inauguration after Trump attacked the latter?
Pretty sure they don't "want" to go in any way, shape or form.
Old 01-11-17, 03:24 PM   #4703
DVD Talk Legend

he defended hillary and then attacked her. the guy is confusing as heck. bigly
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-11-17, 03:33 PM   #4704

I just love the headline.

Trump's trainwreck press conference ushers in a clueless presidency : https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ency?CMP=fb_us
Old 01-11-17, 03:37 PM   #4705
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Trump's trainwreck press conference ushers in a clueless presidency : https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ency?CMP=fb_us
This man is an embarrassment. The US has become the laughing stock of the world.

- Ricky Gervais

Last edited by inri222; 01-11-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:41 PM   #4706
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Probably going to have to turn to the foreign press for any real criticism of this clown
Old 01-11-17, 04:19 PM   #4707
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I'm sure his followers are eating that shit up and loving it.
Yes, my 'Cult of Trump' friends today at work kept saying 'FAKE NEWS' regarding anything someone says about him now.

I will say that Trump's voters are the most passionate I've ever seen towards a candidate as I can't see them ever turning on him no matter what.

My mom is a HUGE Meryl Streep fan and now she says that she won't see another movie by her because of her Golden Globe speech.

I've given up trying to argue with this Cult.
Old 01-11-17, 04:25 PM   #4708
DVD Talk Legend

I do think Trump allows people to express those things that they want to say but polite society (up until now) has made taboo. So the floodgates have opened.
Old 01-11-17, 04:29 PM   #4709
DVD Talk Hero

The irony that an Obama birther who said that the president and Hillary Clinton are the co-founders of ISIS is accusing others of fake news.

- Ricky Gervais
Old 01-11-17, 04:34 PM   #4710
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
The irony that an Obama birther who said that the president and Hillary Clinton are the co-founders of ISIS is accusing others of fake news.
As I've said before - everything Trump complains about is hypocritical. He said something in the press conference about how because he has a platform to get his message out, he can respond to attacks but he's seen people "destroyed" who didn't have that platform.

TRUMP HIMSELF HAS ATTACKED PEOPLE WITHOUT THAT PLATFORM.

It's too much.
Old 01-11-17, 04:49 PM   #4711
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Yes, my 'Cult of Trump' friends today at work kept saying 'FAKE NEWS' regarding anything someone says about him now.

I will say that Trump's voters are the most passionate I've ever seen towards a candidate as I can't see them ever turning on him no matter what.

My mom is a HUGE Meryl Streep fan and now she says that she won't see another movie by her because of her Golden Globe speech.

I've given up trying to argue with this Cult.
See, that scares me, because that kind of blind allegiance, divorced from critical thinking, is what the fascists in the '30s capitalized on. So it starts with boycotting Meryl Streep movies, and eventually those same people are rationalizing all sorts of atrocities because fearless leader told them it was good and necessary.
Old 01-11-17, 04:52 PM   #4712
DVD Talk Hero

Not surprising considering they'll deny things they saw with their own eyes.
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2016 | Holiday 2015 | Comedy 2015 | Horror 2015 | Criterion 2015 | Animation 2015 | Sci-Fi 2015 | Historical 2015 | Make-Your-Own 2015 | Drive-In 2015 | Action 2015 | Academy Award 2015 | Leap Day 2012
Old 01-11-17, 04:53 PM   #4713
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
See, that scares me, because that kind of blind allegiance, divorced from critical thinking, is what the fascists in the '30s capitalized on. So it starts with boycotting Meryl Streep movies, and eventually those same people are rationalizing all sorts of atrocities because fearless leader told them it was good and necessary.
Eh fwiw my dad boycotts any actor that speaks anything against the republicans, he's been doing that for the 30+ years I've been around at least. Streep didn't really even say anything and people are boycotting her, which is funny, but I wouldn't worry too much yet -- it does seem to mostly lean older.
Old 01-11-17, 04:55 PM   #4714
Time Lord

There's tribalism, which we all fall prey to at one point or another, but then there's worshipping a single charismatic individual, believing them over all evidence to the contrary. That's how totalitarianism starts.
Old 01-11-17, 04:58 PM   #4715
DVD Talk Legend

NOTE- ABOUT TO BASH CELEBRITIES AND I DONT LIKE TRUMP NOR VOTED FOR HIM

Im a republican and i really dont care what celebrities say. I mean they have the right to say whatever they want but im not looking for political advice from meryl streep or scott baio. They need to do what they do best, entertain. Yes they are citizens and yes they pay taxes as well but still, they wont influence anything.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 01-11-17, 05:07 PM   #4716
Administrator

Quote:
There's tribalism, which we all fall prey to at one point or another, but then there's worshipping a single charismatic individual, believing them over all evidence to the contrary. That's how totalitarianism starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Im a republican and i really dont care what celebrities say. I mean they have the right to say whatever they want but im not looking for political advice from meryl streep or scott baio. They need to do what they do best, entertain. Yes they are citizens and yes they pay taxes as well but still, they wont influence anything.
I think their influence is minimal (at least at these event type speeches). They may galvanize those who agree with them politically, but I don't think they are changing any minds (any more than Trump is changing any minds of people who dislike him).

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 01-11-17, 05:11 PM   #4717
Time Lord

I just don't get why people are so OFFENDED when celebrities express political views. Every idiot with an internet connection can say whatever the fuck they want for the whole world to see on Twitter or Facebook, but when celebrities say something on TV, in an interview, or at a concert/event, people act like those celebrities personally came to their home and killed their beloved family pet.

I still see Clint Eastwood movies despite his chair gag. I still see Tom Cruise movies despite knowing that Scientology is a cult. Some people have the thinnest fucking skin.
Old 01-11-17, 05:16 PM   #4718
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I just don't get why people are so OFFENDED when celebrities express political views. Every idiot with an internet connection can say whatever the fuck they want for the whole world to see on Twitter or Facebook, but when celebrities say something on TV, in an interview, or at a concert/event, people act like those celebrities personally came to their home and killed their beloved family pet.

I still see Clint Eastwood movies despite his chair gag. I still see Tom Cruise movies despite knowing that Scientology is a cult. Some people have the thinnest fucking skin.

Agreed. Hell, I still like Mel Gibson after his fucking rants. The thing is I don't idolize these people like some do. They're not a reflection of me. Remove the hero worship aspect of it and it's all good. Yes, even Polanski, the piece of shit that he is, has merits in his body of work as an artist, even though he's a piece of shit human being.
Old 01-11-17, 05:22 PM   #4719
DVD Talk Legend

This English columnist on CNN thinks Trump nailed his first press conference.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/opinio...ley/index.html
Old 01-11-17, 05:24 PM   #4720
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I do think Trump allows people to express those things that they want to say but polite society (up until now) has made taboo. So the floodgates have opened.
It really is similar to how Howard Stern had an impact on radio. Stern's raunchy shows even had a positive effect on even his detractors. I've said before that even Christian Radio benefited from Stern's raunchiness because they, without even realizing it, were able to loosen up and talk about things on the radio like sexual topics that before were too touchy to deal with and avoided.
Old 01-11-17, 05:24 PM   #4721
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Agreed. Hell, I still like Mel Gibson after his fucking rants. The thing is I don't idolize these people like some do. They're not a reflection of me. Remove the hero worship aspect of it and it's all good. Yes, even Polanski, the piece of shit that he is, has merits in his body of work as an artist, even though he's a piece of shit human being.
It's like all the people who blew up when they saw Bradley Cooper at the DNC even though he had just starred in American Sniper. Oh, the horror that an actor may have different views from you!

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-11-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 05:26 PM   #4722
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-11-17, 05:29 PM   #4723
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
This English columnist on CNN thinks Trump nailed his first press conference.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/opinio...ley/index.html
Was he for Brexit? If so, no shit.
Old 01-11-17, 05:30 PM   #4724
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's like all the people who blew up when they saw Bradley Cooper at the DNC even though he had just started in American Sniper. Oh, the horror that an actor may have different views from you!

Old 01-11-17, 05:31 PM   #4725
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Was he for Brexit? If so, no shit.
I just read that he used to be Labour but is now in support of US Republicans.

WTF?