Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

View Poll Results: Did Trump do a better job than the 1st debate?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-12-16, 08:34 PM   #476
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,127
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You think his hatred of Hillary is off the rails now? Wait until she kicks his ass in the greatest electoral victory since Reagan. You think he's going to go back to the Tower with his tail between his legs and have a Taco Salad?
Remember, Trump tried to crash Chelsea Clinton's wedding. I think when this is all over, he thinks he'll be able to be friends with the Clintons. He's that narcissistic. I do think that some of what he's saying is an act, almost like running for President is a reality TV show like the Apprentice, but you can't say the things he's saying and be President of the US. It just can't happen.
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 11:41 PM   #477
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,495
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
If he'd said, 'Because you'd be on your knees asking to suck my dick to stay out of prison,' would people be defending him? Because honestly, that hypothetical statement jives with how he talks about and views women in general and is no cruder than other things he's said. Or would that somehow be beyond the pale? It amazes me what people are willing to write off as 'well Donald could've really meant it this way and it's not actually that bad.'
I think Trump could perform an abortion on a woman at a press conference, eat the fetus, and still have the pro-lifers support him.
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 05:34 AM   #478
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
You can pick that apart any way you like, but he went farther than his earlier promise to "look into it". He said if am President, you'd be in jail. Once again, apparently we need a chart for when Trump is being serious versus when he's not.

If he said "you'd be dead", wouldn't that be treated as a threat? What's the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It's like people are looking at Trump's statement completely divorced from all context. He actively encourages his supporters to chant "Lock her up!" at rallies. That's not a call for investigation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Now Trump says Clinton AND her lawyers should go to jail. So apparently, already guilty. Of a crime she has already been cleared of.

Now Trump, if you're appointing a special prosecutor to investigate and that investigation comes back saying she's innocent, does she still have to go to jail?
Because he's saying she has to go, which seems to jump over the whole "if she's guilty" part of that equation.

Or is he kidding again? I've lost my chart.
It certainly does appear that some haver "lost their charts" when it comes to allowing their animosity for certain candidates to override their judgment.

To answer a few basic questions, Draven, going to jail means that you have been convicted of a crime. Being dead means that you are no longer living. And, no, people still "don't have to go to jail" if found that there is insufficient evidence to convict. Glad we cleared those things up.

Secondly, please quote accurately. Remember that this thread was about what was said during the second debate. The audio of your debate feed was obviously faulty, because (as reported in this post in the actual transcripts), Trump did not say "If I am President...." He said, "If I were President." A world of difference. Read PerryD's objective analysis (as someone who doesn't support Trump, he can offer objective analysis).

In any other context, which, ironically, some calling for that above totally ignore when the candidate(s) they hate speak, saying "If I were..." is always considered a hypothetical statement. It's not declaring an intention for the future, it's saying what one would do in a situation given the same set of circumstances.

It's the same with the "Lock her Up!" chants. You can take that out of the context of the various investigations Clinton was facing (i.e., when the FBI is investigating a person for possible criminal activity, there exists a very real possibility of being "locked up"...although, in the case of the Democratic candidate for POTUS being investigated by a Democratic administration, highly unlikely). But pretending that Clinton wasn't under investigation and that people just started chanting "Lock her up!" out of the blue (just as fantasizing that Trump said that he intends to "jail political opponents") is not only dishonest, it's a disservice to the very views you say you espouse.

Draven, when you say that "Now Trump says...," that is going beyond the discussion of the second debate. I just heard a quote from him from the last day or so in which he said, "She has to go to jail." That statement is more suggestive of the idea that his intent is to see her go to jail (even though the legal system would have to rule on that and even if he really wants to see her jailed and isn't just pandering for votes). But, again, that's judging his latest statements...not the second debate. And I still haven't heard him say, "I intend to put Hillary Clinton in jail without a trial." Have you?

The Trump credibility issue cuts both ways. For those who say that Trump supporters are hypocrites when they say that they believe Trump on other statements but that "he's just kidding" when they don't like what he says, the flip side of the coin are those Clinton supporters that Trump lies about everything...except when he makes statements like the tape. Then (and only then) is he telling the truth.

Both major candidates have enough flawed history to provide all sorts of ammunition and reason not to support either without having to resort to saying that they would kill every first-born male puppy belonging to children under age ten.

Asking for truth in politics is not "defending" Clinton nor Trump...it's an appeal for truth in politics.

After all, don't all of us here at DVDTalk actually believe in the DVDTalk Credo: "Attack the post, not the poster"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 05:38 AM   #479
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think Trump could perform an abortion on a woman at a press conference, eat the fetus, and still have the pro-lifers support him.
And that statement just demonstrates how little you understand about pro-lifers.

It's an offensive statement not worthy of you. It sounds more like something Trump would say.

I ask you to imagine your intellectual (if not emotional) reaction if someone made such a statement about "pro-choicers." The howls of indignation would be deafening.

Let's try to stay classy, shall we?

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-13-16 at 06:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:34 AM   #480
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,201
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And that statement just demonstrates how little you understand about pro-lifers.

It's an offensive statement not worthy of you. It sounds more like something Trump would say.

I ask you to imagine your intellectual (if not emotional) reaction if someone made such a statement about "pro-choicers." The howls of indignation would be deafening.

Let's try to stay classy, shall we?
Relax. You're missing his point. He's using an absurd example to illustrate the absurdity of Trump's supporters willing to give anything a pass.

Here's another one. Trump could say The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie ever, yet Star Wars fans still support him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:41 AM   #481
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Relax. You're missing his point. He's using an absurd example to illustrate the absurdity of Trump's supporters willing to give anything a pass.

Here's another one. Trump could say The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie ever, yet Star Wars fans still support him.
If he had said, "his pro-life supporters" giving him a pass, that might fly.

But he didn't.

And even your example..."yet Star Wars fans..." illustrates that point.

I would agree that both Clinton's and Trump's most avid supporters tend to give them a pass on everything. It's the generalized statements that are troubling...especially when the poster has exhibited antagonism toward that specific group in the past.

I believe that your example was just accidental & that you don't have any animosity for Star Wars fans. But not all remarks are accidents, and sometimes they are making more than one point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:48 AM   #482
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,373
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
If he had said, "his pro-life supporters" giving him a pass, that might fly.

But he didn't.

And even your example..."yet Star Wars fans..." illustrates that point.
It's like you can't interpret the meaning of something unless it is explicitly spelled out for you. I find this really amusing for some reason.
__________________
My Library - DVDProfiler
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:59 AM   #483
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
It's like you can't interpret the meaning of something unless it is explicitly spelled out for you. I find this really amusing for some reason.
That's what Trump says!

"It's just words, folks."

Personally, I find it ironic that so many who claim to base their entire worldview upon "evidence" insist upon relying upon "interpretation" when it suits them.

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. " ~ W.J. Clinton

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-13-16 at 07:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:18 AM   #484
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Did anyone comment on the fly that kept landing on Clinton during the debate? I thought it was just landing on our Panasonic, but it seemed to fly away when she stood up (and kept returning). I just now Googled it to find out that, indeed, it seemed that the fly was attracted to her for some reason.

Either that or Trump was employing a drone such as the one used in the movie "Eye in the Sky" (good movie, btw).


Last edited by creekdipper; 10-13-16 at 07:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:27 AM   #485
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 3,073
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

If I judge Trump by just "evidence" track records. He still sucks ass dude
__________________
My Reviews and Collection
RateYourMusic.com

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:33 AM   #486
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,495
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
It's an offensive statement not worthy of you.
You, sir, greatly overestimate me.
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:33 AM   #487
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 3,073
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think Trump could perform an abortion on a woman at a press conference, eat the fetus, and still have the pro-lifers support him.
it's like the episode of Futurama where a candidate is running for president and a certain group don't believe he is was born in America. So he says what do I have to do to prove i was born in this country, produce my own birth video and a guy goes "well that at least be something"
__________________
My Reviews and Collection
RateYourMusic.com

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:33 AM   #488
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
If I judge Trump by just "evidence" track records. He still sucks ass dude
nando, I respectfully submit that the evidence indicates that you haven't yet had your morning cuppa joe.

it's like the episode of Futurama where a candidate is running for president and a certain group don't believe he is was born in America. So he says what do I have to do to prove i was born in this country, produce my own birth video and a guy goes "well that at least be something"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:35 AM   #489
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You, sir, greatly overestimate me.
I concede to your greater wisdom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 08:04 AM   #490
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 8,740
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Did anyone comment on the fly that kept landing on Clinton during the debate? I thought it was just landing on our Panasonic, but it seemed to fly away when she stood up (and kept returning). I just now Googled it to find out that, indeed, it seemed that the fly was attracted to her for some reason.

Either that or Trump was employing a drone such as the one used in the movie "Eye in the Sky" (good movie, btw).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JtvNP_YmVE
I guess a 6′ 2″ pile of shit was too much even for a fly
__________________
Feast Your Eyes, Glut Your Soul on My Accursed Ugliness!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 08:21 AM   #491
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I guess a 6′ 2″ pile of shit was too much even for a fly
https://www.dramafever.com/st/news/i...2.36.21_PM.png
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 08:28 AM   #492
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 3,073
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
nando, I respectfully submit that the evidence indicates that you haven't yet had your morning cuppa joe.
No I Have not!! be right back
__________________
My Reviews and Collection
RateYourMusic.com

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 08:45 AM   #493
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
No I Have not!! be right back
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 09:05 AM   #494
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,918
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think Trump could perform an abortion on a woman at a press conference, eat the fetus, and still have the pro-lifers support him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Trump could say The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie ever, yet Star Wars fans still support him.
The only way Trump would (maybe?) lose followers would be if he converted to Islam and married a guy in the same day.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 06:51 PM   #495
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,733
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

What if Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton Had Swapped Genders?

To Prove Gender Bias, a University Had a Male Actor Read Hillary's Debate Lines, and a Female Actor Read Trump's

A restaging of the October 2016 presidential debate

A video from a rehearsal below:

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 07:54 PM   #496
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,843
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

^ ^ ^

That was a fascinating experiment and great read.

Thanks for posting it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 07:19 AM   #497
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,733
Re: 2nd (and last?) Presidential debate Sunday night

They have a plan to film the debate excerpts, shot for shot, as they were televised on TV. The 2016 election will be reviewed in political science studies and I think this would prove to be an interesting addition.

By the way:
Trump Election Set for HBO Miniseries From 'Game Change' Team

Soon you'll be able to relive the 2016 presidential race all over again.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0