Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-19-17, 05:12 AM   #526
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Christian Idea Exchange

Anybody think of a good antidote for the icky poo fear fueled negativity towards gays and trannys?

I can.
Old 03-19-17, 05:42 AM   #527
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the next installment in the small-group series with parents discussing biblical parenting methods. It discusses how many incorrectly assume that parenting assists only of setting rules, issuing warnings, and applying consequences. This stresses the importance of listening and using discernment in not just correcting but exhorting and comforting (not using a "one size fits all approach).

Interesting listening even for us non-parents. Good questions/answers from the parents along with the occasional comment from one of our newborn infants.

Title: Types of Rich Communication.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...D=219171336446

1 Thessalonians 5:14 (NKJV)

14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.
Old 03-19-17, 05:46 AM   #528
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like listening to a flailing press secretary, emoting grand words of salient and indispensable connotation, whose message is impaired when revealed to be antithetical to the professed crux of their dogma.
Old 03-19-17, 06:02 AM   #529
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Martyr complex ...
You'd almost think the faith was built upon the work of martyrs.
Old 03-19-17, 06:08 AM   #530
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember, we were told that faith is not a key ingredient of predetermination.
Old 03-19-17, 06:10 AM   #531
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
You'd almost think the faith was built upon the work of martyrs.
Old 03-19-17, 06:17 AM   #532
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Being able to finally admit that faith is the key component is good start. Maybe four years from now he will see that being a bigot is not the core of his religion.
Old 03-19-17, 06:29 AM   #533
DVD Talk Legend

I am thankful that God in His Sovereignty once again demonstrates that He can use any means to providentially bring about suggestions for topics.

Faith being a gift of God and not being instigated by humans, for instance.

The following brief discussion is from Ligonier Ministries, R.C. Sproul's group which also publishes the monthly devotional and discussion magazine Table Talk. May also post a link to an excerpt from a J. MacArthur discussion at the end, but the exposition is similar:

God’s Gift of Faith

“By grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.”
- Ephesians 2:8

Today we return to our look at the biblical doctrines outlined in the Heidelberg Catechism. We are in question and answer 65, which begins the section of the catechism devoted to the sacraments and their role in the Christian life. The matter at hand is this: If faith is the sole instrumental cause of justification — the only way we may have the righteousness of Christ imputed to our accounts (2 Cor. 5:21; Gal. 2:15–16) — from where does our faith come?

First, we must look at the ultimate origin of our faith. Without a doubt, most modern evangelicals believe that human beings have an innate capacity for Godglorifying faith — that even unregenerate sinners are able to work up trust in the gospel and that faith comes before a changed heart. Despite the popularity of this view, it is inconsistent with biblical revelation. Romans 8:7–8 explains that it is impossible for minds set on the flesh to please God and obey Him. People who are not in Christ are in the flesh, so they lack the ability to do the Lord’s will. Since His will for us is that we trust in His promises, unbelievers are incapable in themselves of believing in Christ Jesus for salvation. Furthermore, John 3:3 says that we cannot even see the kingdom of God unless we are first born again by the Spirit. If we cannot see God’s kingdom, we can by no means enter it. In sum, faith can arise only from a new heart. To put it in theological categories: regeneration precedes faith.

Faith is a gift of the Lord to undeserving people, the outworking of God’s electing grace and the atonement of Jesus for His own. Ephesians 2:8 confirms the truth that faith is ultimately a gift of God. “The gift of God” in the original Greek appears in the neuter grammatical form, which means that it refers back to both grace and faith earlier in the verse. Grace and faith are divine gifts, and our Father does not give them to all people. Only this view of faith is consistent with the biblical teaching on the pervasiveness of our depravity and our desperate state apart from Christ.

Sinners are intellectually able to understand the basic content of the gospel, but they lack the moral ability to believe the gospel. That is, they are wholly unwilling to turn from their sin and rest in Christ alone until the Spirit changes their hearts and enables them to heed the preaching of the gospel of God (Acts 13:13–52).
Coram Deo

If we believe that we are capable of working up faith in our souls, we cannot boast in Christ alone. But if we understand that we have faith only because of the work of the Holy Spirit, then we can truly give God all the glory for our salvation. We are not to look at ourselves as better than others because we believe the gospel; rather, we are to be profoundly grateful that God has chosen to grant us faith even though we are undeserving sinners.
Old 03-19-17, 06:37 AM   #534
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go back about a year or so ago and read a contradictory ramble.
Old 03-19-17, 06:47 AM   #535
DVD Talk Legend

Let's allow the Word to speak, since (after all) this is a Christian idea exchange:

Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)

12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The wonderful thing about the great doctrine of God's sovereignty is that He is able to renew any hearts and minds as He chooses whenever He chooses. Consider Saul...by his own admission, one of the most vicious haters of Christians who actually assisted in the murder of Christians.

Does anyone think that Saul ever imagined that God would convert him into the Great Apostle Paul? None are outside God's reach, which is why all should be treated as the elect.

As the adage says, "Where there's life, there's hope."

TULIP:

Total Depravity (aka Total Inability)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement (or "Particular Atonement")
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints
Old 03-19-17, 06:48 AM   #536
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let Creeks contradictory words from, 1, 2, 3, years ago speak for themselves.
Old 03-19-17, 07:09 AM   #537
DVD Talk Legend

Once again, thanks be to God for the increased interest in His great doctrines.

Faith is (obviously) a crucial topic to the Christian faith (or any other "faith tradition").

One great distinction between Christianity and other religions is that other religions are dependent upon works to earn merit or "salvation." Christianity, on the other hand, depends solely upon the work of one person...Jesus Christ. He and He alone could satisfy God's demands for perfect holiness.

What about James discussing of "death faith" and "living faith?" That merely points out that James was distinguishing True Christianity (actually renewed minds and regenerated hearts) from lip service. When a person is truly converted ("born again"), then that person (and others) should expect to see evidence in the good works done in obedience to God. And the works should be done cheerfully and willingly, not from fear or coercion. The Bible makes that clear repeatedly.

So since faith is a gift that God gives to the elect, and that saving faith produces good works (as defined by God), what about those who predated Christ?

James answers that question, too. Abraham, for example, had faith that produced works of obedience. His faith was "accounted to him as righteousness."
Old 03-19-17, 07:10 AM   #538
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Better go edit some posts.

Goal posts !...!
!................!

Break the plain.

Oh I forgot, that isn't enough either.
Old 03-19-17, 07:14 AM   #539
DVD Talk Legend

It is interesting to note that in the same chapter (Matthew 7) that is often quoted out of context (the well-known "Judge not..." verse, omitting the verses immediately following) contains these words from Christ about faith:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

Apart from teaching that the truly converted will produce good fruits of the Spirit, Jesus is also teaching that there will be those falsely claiming to be Christians...and that we will know them by their fruits. We will be able, in some cases, to identify ("judge") them by the evidence of their lives.

If that were not the case, how could the church (Christ's bride) ever be able to exercise church discipline as commanded in the Bible to keep Christ's bride pure and unstained?
Old 03-19-17, 07:15 AM   #540
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pick and choose the context. One way works here one way works there, but never together. Conform to how I want the fairy tale.
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 AM   #541
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks in advance for the great exchange of ideas! Have a great Lord's Day!

I was glad when they said to me,
“Let us go into the house of the Lord.” Psalm 122:1
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 AM   #542
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chugga chugga choo choo.
Old 03-19-17, 02:49 PM   #543
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Cultural Marxism is a useful label that's easily understood. Many secular people including those in these threads have made it clear that among their fondest desires is the the removal of the influence of religion (specifically, Christianity) from the public square (if not the eventual eradication of religion entirely).

When people speak about "evangelicals as the #1 thread to this country," that is getting into Conspiracy Land.

Radical secular humanists keep saying that they "don't mind" Christianity or believers "as long as they keep it within the walls of their tax-free buildings." That is condescension.

Translation: We'll tolerate you as long as we never have to see you, never have to hear you, and never allow you to have any influence upon the culture. Because you're dangerous if you actually speak about the doctrines in the Bible that speak of sin and allow those doctrines to influence your decision-making in the voting process (not that their values should be exempt from influencing their decisions, of course. Because that's different).

It's obvious that some secular people have declared their own personal war upon religion. That's fair and to be expected. After all, religion threatens a person's desire to do as he/she pleases by placing restrictions upon behavior and attitudes.

I had a secular person once email me for help with a project about whether Christians view Christianity in America as being under attack. I was a bit naive and at first answered that I didn't think it was under overt attack but under a more insidious attack from the cultural shifts in general. More a case of religious influences that we used to see routinely in popular culture being gradually removed. Of reflection, I thought that maybe I had underestimated the amount of hostility toward religion and amended my thoughts.

I think I was being drastically naive. I don't know how broad or how militant the movement is to muzzle Christianity from the public square...and I think these threads are obviously overloaded from one ideological viewpoint...but the animosity among some seems to be increasing. And the effect can indeed be described as a type of cultural Marxism in the sometimes gradual, sometimes rapid shift away from religious values that provide stability to a moral relativism.

If Christians who have tried to accommodate the world's values by allowing themselves to be deceived that the endgame is "can't we all just get along" ever wake up to the fact that their values are being eroded through compromise and their freedom is under attack, then there may be another Great Awakening. We've already seen the shift from "tolerance" of others to "do as we say or pay the consequences" regarding business owners.

To the true Christian, the Word of God is life-sustaining. To others, the Word of God is "toxic."
Obviously I won't bother going through this rambling treatise point by point, but it is funny for you to argue for the utility of using the label Cultural Marxism, which is a conspiracy theory based on the evangelical persecution complex, while blithely dismissing the idea that evangelicals themselves threaten the US as a conspiracy. So let's take a look at why someone might think that evangelicals (not all Christians, just evangelicals) are so dangerous:

While Catholics and other large Christian denominations do have some political influence, they pale in comparison to the amount of evangelicals who are actively involved in our federal, state, and local governments. Evangelical Christianity is overwhelmingly represented in our political process.

Currently evangelicals are waging wars on science, education, all other religions, all other sects of Christianity, refugees, the poor, the sick, women, and the LGBQT+ community, as seen by the bills/laws that evangelicals propose and often get passed at the federal and state levels. That's not to say that all evangelicals are personally waging al of these wars, but all of these wars are being waged by evangelicals.

The ultimate goal of these evangelicals is to establish a Christian theocracy, going against the founding principles of this country, which hold that Chirch and State should remain separate. I and others have posted many articles that detailed elements of how evangelicals plan to do this, starting with homeschooling and moving into the political realm.

Given the massive amount of representaction that evangelicals have politically, and how thoroughly they've thrown their lot in with Trump, it's clear that they are in a much better position to negatively impact the lives of Americans than terrorists, refugees, sexual minorities, or any other group that evangelicals demonize on a daily basis.

Thus, the only conclusion I can draw is that evangelicals are the biggest threat facing this country today, because they are best poised to tear our institutions apart from the inside, and also because they've managed to convince millions of people that the Bible is there to justify all of their hateful, fascist ideology.
Old 03-19-17, 07:07 PM   #544
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-19-17, 08:11 PM   #545
DVD Talk Legend

Really good exposition addressing objections to the great doctrine of predestination. Also discusses how the enmity toward God comes out whenever people are confronted with the idea of sin and its consequences.

Title: Profane Audacity: Questioning God's Sovereign Grace

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...D=319171328231

Text:

Romans 9:14-15 (NKJV)

Israel’s Rejection and God’s Justice

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”[a]
Old 03-20-17, 02:14 PM   #546
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Obviously I won't bother going through this rambling treatise point by point, but it is funny for you to argue for the utility of using the label Cultural Marxism, which is a conspiracy theory based on the evangelical persecution complex, while blithely dismissing the idea that evangelicals themselves threaten the US as a conspiracy. So let's take a look at why someone might think that evangelicals (not all Christians, just evangelicals) are so dangerous:

While Catholics and other large Christian denominations do have some political influence, they pale in comparison to the amount of evangelicals who are actively involved in our federal, state, and local governments. Evangelical Christianity is overwhelmingly represented in our political process.

Currently evangelicals are waging wars on science, education, all other religions, all other sects of Christianity, refugees, the poor, the sick, women, and the LGBQT+ community, as seen by the bills/laws that evangelicals propose and often get passed at the federal and state levels. That's not to say that all evangelicals are personally waging al of these wars, but all of these wars are being waged by evangelicals.

The ultimate goal of these evangelicals is to establish a Christian theocracy, going against the founding principles of this country, which hold that Chirch and State should remain separate. I and others have posted many articles that detailed elements of how evangelicals plan to do this, starting with homeschooling and moving into the political realm.

Given the massive amount of representaction that evangelicals have politically, and how thoroughly they've thrown their lot in with Trump, it's clear that they are in a much better position to negatively impact the lives of Americans than terrorists, refugees, sexual minorities, or any other group that evangelicals demonize on a daily basis.

Thus, the only conclusion I can draw is that evangelicals are the biggest threat facing this country today, because they are best poised to tear our institutions apart from the inside, and also because they've managed to convince millions of people that the Bible is there to justify all of their hateful, fascist ideology.
As I implied in my earlier post, there is an organized faction of like-minded individuals actively working against Christianity and its beliefs. They view religion as a threat. Since they couldn't get religious restrictions passed as legislation through Congress, their best venue has been through our court system.

There isn't a single Protestant on the current Supreme Court, much less an evangelical Christian. Do you find that odd in a country that is 53% Protestant according to ABC News?

I pass along this aggressively liberal law blog for curious readers.

https://balkin.blogspot.com/2016/05/...h-liberal.html

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 03-20-17, 02:30 PM   #547
Time Lord

So who exactly comprises this cabal of like-minded individuals trying to eradicate religion?
Old 03-20-17, 02:44 PM   #548
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's basically another no True Christian (TM) diatribe. Worst of all are those SELF PROFESSED LIBERAL CHRISTIAN TRAITORS that supported equal rights for ALL! So now True Chrsitans (TM) support Trump with the goal of replacing them with judges that will MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Old 03-20-17, 02:49 PM   #549
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
So who exactly comprises this cabal of like-minded individuals trying to eradicate religion?
I'm sure Alex Jones has the answer.

Not all Trump supporters are racists & misogynists, but all of them decided that racism & misogyny weren't deal breakers.
Old 03-20-17, 05:50 PM   #550
DVD Talk Legend

Another excellent small-group session with parents wanting to raise their children in the faith.

Title: The Cost of Rich Communication.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...D=226171340566

Text:

1 Thessalonians 5:14 (NKJV)

14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.