Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-22-16, 11:13 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

2016 One and Only Abortion Thread

Mod Note: Posts removed from Election thread. Please continue all abortion discussions here.

pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
All hail Cthulu!

And guys, can we please stop acting as if mentally unstable people are cognizant of the fallacies of what they're saying. And I don't state that lightly; Trump is questionable, but Palin is straight up mentally unhinged, and addressing her talking points as if she's put any rational thought into the things she says does yourself a disservice. It's not too far of from arguing with the shouting homeless man on the street corner.
Yes, guys, we should regard Palin's endorsement in the same light that we regard the straight-up mentally unhinged endorsement of Clinton by Cecile Richards' group.

One might think that Planned Parenthood or NRA endorsements would carry more weight re: actual policy effects than someone whose political career ended some years ago. All this obsessive focus on a political has-been simply puts $ in her pockets, so I'm sure she's thankful for the attention.

Last edited by Pharoh; 01-23-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 11:33 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Yes, guys, we should regard Palin's endorsement in the same light that we regard the straight-up mentally unhinged endorsement of Clinton by Cecile Richards' group.
Are you really trying to equate Palin's psychosis with Richards and a group of women? It's like you're trying to keep people from taking you seriously.
Old 01-22-16, 11:36 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Are you really trying to equate Palin's psychosis with Richards and a group of women? It's like you're trying to keep people from taking you seriously.
No, slop, that would be unfair to Palin. Although some disagree with her killing of wildlife for sport, I don't recall ever seeing her endorse the mass killing of babies.

Although I most definitely do take those who advocate for that & who enable those who commit those crimes against humanity seriously, since it is a brutal reality.

Some people are just misguided, but many others know exactly what they're doing. Whether the term "psychotic" or "evil" is more applicable is debatable.
Old 01-22-16, 12:36 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
No, slop, that would be unfair to Palin. Although some disagree with her killing of wildlife for sport, I don't recall ever seeing her endorse the mass killing of babies.

Although I most definitely do take those who advocate for that & who enable those who commit those crimes against humanity seriously, since it is a brutal reality.

Some people are just misguided, but many others know exactly what they're doing. Whether the term "psychotic" or "evil" is more applicable is debatable.
Old 01-22-16, 01:38 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
You should check out some of her positions on what the U.S. should do in the Middle East.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-22-16, 02:03 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Who is for the mass killing of babies?
Old 01-22-16, 02:04 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Now with more pics!

Old 01-22-16, 02:29 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Dude, don't take his comment seriously. He's recessed so far into his tribe, that any appeal to reason will be seen as an attack to his tribe and be met with similarly hyperbolic statements.
Old 01-22-16, 06:08 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You should check out some of her positions on what the U.S. should do in the Middle East.
Fair point.

Which again brings up the obvious question: Why is anyone paying attention to this woman?

Quote:
Abortionists and their enablers. Over 55,000,000 since 1973 (U.S. alone).

Of course, since they were committed individually, I suppose that some would say that "mass" is technically incorrect. But then, most serial killers are also termed "mass murderers."

Nonetheless, the result is the same.

Quote:
Dude, don't take his comment seriously. He's recessed so far into his tribe, that any appeal to reason will be seen as an attack to his tribe and be met with similarly hyperbolic statements.
If you're bucking for payment for posting comments for me, sorry...only unpaid internships around here.

55,000,000....hyperbolic?
Old 01-22-16, 06:52 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
55,000,000....hyperbolic?
Yes, because it ignores so much.

How about all the women PP's talked out of having abortions and gave assistance to?
Oh no, nuance!

Or how about the fact that it's not PP's decision at all? Or that many of these pregnancies were life threatening?
Oh no, context!

Heaven forfend you address any issue that conflicts with your skewed world-view.

The fact that you're so black&white about this just reveals that it's not something you've really thought about, or can have a rational discussion about.

If I played your stupid game, I'd say something idiotic to the effect of how those 55 million unwanted babies would've just turned into criminals anyhow. But unlike you, I can see how the issue is far more complex than that.

Also, nice diversion. I'm here saying Palin is most likely out of her mind, and you try to equate her with an organization that provides a service. Not only are you changing the subject, but moving the goalpost onto a whole other field. If I were your debate professor, I'd give you an F.
Old 01-22-16, 07:01 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

How about all the women PP's talked out of having abortions and gave assistance to?

Or how about the fact that it's not PP's decision at all? Or that many of these pregnancies were life threatening?

Also, nice diversion. I'm here saying Palin is most likely out of her mind, and you try to equate her with an organization that provides a service.
A. Citation?
B. Citation?
C. The reason Planned Parenthood exists is to provide abortions. Without the proceeds from abortions, PP would close their doors and women would go to their local health clinics or physicians for medical care.

55,000,000 dead babies is not "nuance." 55,000,000 dead babies is not a "diversion." It's a holocaust of staggering proportions, committed right under our noses and with the approval of enablers who try to insist that they're not pro-abortion.

And, yes, the deliberate, state-approved killing of innocents is a "black-and-white" atrocity.

Hiding one's head in the sand will not work forever. Facing the truth and brutal reality is a horrifying prospect, for sure, but that's no excuse for turning a blind eye. History has taught us that.
Old 01-22-16, 07:51 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to be cliche but why do Republicans always speak passionately about aborted babies when once they are born they want nothing to do with them?

It's the reason why I can never take any staunch republicans serious when they talk about abortion. They sure as hell don't want to pay for anything once they are born. Hell, they don't even want to pay for the birth control to prevent from having more aborted babies.
Old 01-22-16, 08:04 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I hate to be cliche but why do Republicans always speak passionately about aborted babies when once they are born they want nothing to do with them?

It's the reason why I can never take any staunch republicans serious when they talk about abortion. They sure as hell don't want to pay for anything once they are born. Hell, they don't even want to pay for the birth control to prevent from having more aborted babies.
When you're pushing an agenda, fetuses are more important than children.

Of course I am going to be accused of also pushing an agenda by the other side in :

- Machiavelli
Old 01-22-16, 10:53 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
When you're pushing an agenda, fetuses are more important than children.

Of course I am going to be accused of also pushing an agenda by the other side in :

Unless those fetuses are the result of rape or incest. Turns out not ALL life is sacred.
Old 01-23-16, 12:19 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Again, I'm confused about these "babies" that are being aborted. I thought it was fetuses.
Old 01-23-16, 12:42 AM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Again, I'm confused about these "babies" that are being aborted. I thought it was fetuses.
It certainly explains why so many pro-abortion people don't believe in any deity when they don't even recognize human beings detectable by science.

Euphemisms are useful tools to placate the easily offended; thus, we have "memory gardens" rather than "cemeteries" (or, even worse, "graveyards"); "sanitary engineers," "friendly fire," "elder care," etc.

A "fetus" is a developing human being. So is a toddler. So is an adolescent. So is an adult. So is an elderly person. Our minds, functions, and bodies never stop changing from conception until death. All of us who were fortunate enough to have mothers who cared enough about us to allow us to live rather than dispose of us went through those stages of development. Science is your friend.

Euphemisms have also been used down through the ages to remove guilt and rationalize otherwise unthinkable actions for those whose consciences require such things.

"Pro-choice" is another common euphemism used to avoid guilt and apply blinders to the conscience. History has not been kind toward those who preferred declaring themselves "pro-choice" rather than take moral stances. Deluding oneself that it's possible to stay "neutral" on issues of life & death is just that...delusion (among other unflattering terms). It certainly doesn't demonstrate moral fiber, and it offers aid and comfort to one side only. It enables and allows an action to take place; therefore, it amounts to exactly the same thing as if one emphatically declared himself/herself to be squarely in one camp.

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-23-16 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 12:50 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

For the misinformed who continue to demonstrate their lack of information, here is the stance of the Constitution Party regarding abortion:

http://www.constitutionparty.com/the...ity-of-life-2/

From that clearly-stated, unequivocably-expressed principles stated on the website:

"Legalizing the termination of innocent life of the born or unborn, whether by abortion, infanticide, euthanasia or suicide, is a direct violation of their unalienable right to life. As to matters of rape and incest, we find it unconscionable to take the life of an innocent child for the crimes of his father."

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-23-16 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 02:03 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

So sad. Not that we'll change your mind, but it's sad how passionate you try to be about something you're so wrong and ignorant on. And please, you brought it up, so now take this abortion shit out of this election thread, alright?
Old 01-23-16, 02:37 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It certainly explains why so many pro-abortion people don't believe in any deity when they don't even recognize human beings detectable by science.

Euphemisms are useful tools to placate the easily offended; thus, we have "memory gardens" rather than "cemeteries" (or, even worse, "graveyards"); "sanitary engineers," "friendly fire," "elder care," etc.

A "fetus" is a developing human being. So is a toddler. So is an adolescent. So is an adult. So is an elderly person. Our minds, functions, and bodies never stop changing from conception until death. All of us who were fortunate enough to have mothers who cared enough about us to allow us to live rather than dispose of us went through those stages of development. Science is your friend.

Euphemisms have also been used down through the ages to remove guilt and rationalize otherwise unthinkable actions for those whose consciences require such things.

"Pro-choice" is another common euphemism used to avoid guilt and apply blinders to the conscience. History has not been kind toward those who preferred declaring themselves "pro-choice" rather than take moral stances. Deluding oneself that it's possible to stay "neutral" on issues of life & death is just that...delusion (among other unflattering terms). It certainly doesn't demonstrate moral fiber, and it offers aid and comfort to one side only. It enables and allows an action to take place; therefore, it amounts to exactly the same thing as if one emphatically declared himself/herself to be squarely in one camp.
We've had these discussions before. And as has been said, if I put all the ingredients for a cake together and put it in the oven for 2 minutes and then take it out - would you eat it? It's a cake, right?

And again, pro-choice simply means wanting the option to choose one way or the other. It's not a euphemism - it's right there in the phrase. You don't want others to make that decision for you.

I've said before that I'm pro-choice. As is my wife. And if we had been in a position where we were making that decision, we'd probably have decided to go through with a pregnancy.

But we want that choice. We get to make it. Not you. Not your god. Us.

It cannot be said enough - I do not believe God exists. I do not believe fetuses are the same as "babies" (talk about euphemisms). I THINK YOU ARE WRONG. So no amount of explanation is going to convince me that God exists and souls are real thing and that YOUR arbitrary decision about where life begins is more correct than mine.
Old 01-23-16, 06:02 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

If life begins at conception, why do we measure our lives by our birthdates?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-23-16, 10:31 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 One and Only Abortion Thread

My sixth grandniece was born Thursday, so I guess she's nine months old.
Old 01-23-16, 10:36 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
For the misinformed who continue to demonstrate their lack of information, here is the stance of the Constitution Party regarding abortion:

http://www.constitutionparty.com/the...ity-of-life-2/

From that clearly-stated, unequivocably-expressed principles stated on the website:

"Legalizing the termination of innocent life of the born or unborn, whether by abortion, infanticide, euthanasia or suicide, is a direct violation of their unalienable right to life. As to matters of rape and incest, we find it unconscionable to take the life of an innocent child for the crimes of his father."
I see you're back to playing stupid games that include avoiding any direct responses and actual discourse.

I'm not the one that in misinformed. Wonder if you'll admit your ignorance or just continue playing your games.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/01/16/r...s-on-abortion/

This particular one is worth noting:

The National Association of Evangelicals has passed a number of resolutions (most recently in 2010) stating its opposition to abortion. However, the organization recognizes that there might be situations in which terminating a pregnancy is warranted – such as protecting the life of a mother or in cases of rape or incest.

And unless you are going to state that none of those people believe in a higher power, and follow their the tenets of their religion, your previously posted BS about how those that are pro-choice are immoral and making up their own rules is just that. Pure BS.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-23-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 11:17 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

The anti-abortion position in three seconds

Spoiler:
Old 01-23-16, 11:39 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So sad. Not that we'll change your mind, but it's sad how passionate you try to be about something you're so wrong and ignorant on. And please, you brought it up, so now take this abortion shit out of this election thread, alright?
Actually, I brought up Planned Parenthood's endorsement of Clinton in response to comments about psychotic people endorsing candidates. Just to show that all sorts of candidates, including ones backed by people in this forum, are supported by psychotic people.
Old 01-23-16, 11:45 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just to show that all sorts of candidates, including ones backed by people in this forum, are supported by psychotic people.
And completely failed to make your case.