Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-10-17, 02:49 PM   #2026
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 One and Only Abortion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I still stand by my recommendation, that is, for people who are actually interested in reading something someone ELSE wrote. Interestingly, two of the 'bad' reviews on Amazon are from two guys who are similarly in love with their own voices to the exclusion of anyone else's. That seems to be a defining characteristic of the 'pro life' male.
At least you restricted your insults to "males."

For a book whose publisher and endorsers repeatedly play up the "Christian" angle, it seems absolutely disingenuous to omit that element of the discussion.

And it seems a bit disingenuous to suggest that some aren't interested in reading what someone else writes while simultaneously refusing to write something for others to read.

What about the book is so enlightening that it would be of interest to anyone not already a member of the choir? What new insights for Christians are offered?

If you actually want people to read "other people's writings," why keep it such a top secret? That's the old "I would have bought you a gift but I knew you wouldn't like it, so I didn't" excuse. How about rising to the challenge?

What's the worst that can happen? Somebody not agree?
Old 08-10-17, 03:05 PM   #2027
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I still stand by my recommendation, that is, for people who are actually interested in reading something someone ELSE wrote. Interestingly, two of the 'bad' reviews on Amazon are from two guys who are similarly in love with their own voices to the exclusion of anyone else's. That seems to be a defining characteristic of the 'pro life' male.
As well you should. Based on what I am pasting below, it does seem like it's a great read for those genuinely interested in a Christian pro-choice perspective.

Quote:
“Dr. Willie Parker’s compassion and respect for his patients, as well as his profound commitment to social justice, shine through this beautifully written memoir. This book puts to rest the notion that a deeply held religious faith is incompatible with a staunch support for legal and accessible abortion. Life’s Work will be an eye-opener for those not familiar with the fortitude required to be an abortion provider in the contemporary United States, especially in the South. For those already committed to reproductive justice, Dr. Parker’s account of his journey will serve as a much-needed source of renewed inspiration, as this beleaguered field faces new challenges in the Trump era.” (Carole Joffe, author, Dispatches from the Abortion Wars: The Costs of Fanaticism to Doctors, Patients and the Rest of Us; professor, Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health, University of California, San Francisco. )

“Dr. Parker’s story is a wonderful account of how his belief and faith in both God and in humanity has led him to provide abortion: a medical service that is chastised by some as the evil. He explains in the most compelling way how, inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s telling of the story of the Good Samaritan, he has felt unable to turn away from women in need of help. Dr. Parker is a hero of our movement and, as a truly compassionate Christian advocate of women’s choice. I challenge everyone who believes that abortion doctors must be ‘bad’ and immoral, or self-interested and profiteering, or privileged and exploitative, to read this book. Dr. Parker speaks from his heart and his words can’t fail to touch the heart of every reader.” (Ann Furedi, author of The Moral Case for Abortion and CEO of British Pregnancy Advisory Service. )
Old 08-10-17, 03:29 PM   #2028
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad that instead of copying and pasting advertisements, you didn't actually read and discuss the prologue to the book. Also interesting to hear non-Christians lauding the "Christian pro-choice" viewpoint. That wouldn't work with any other non-member of any other group presuming to hold court, but religion is always the one exception allowed.

Parker does make one specific reference to the Bible: In the prologue, he compares himself to a "modern-day St. Paul."

The prologue consists almost entirely of his justifying his abandonment of the "black-and-white" doctrines he had been taught (and, according to him, had been resisting) since childhood. Rather than affirming biblical beliefs, he spends most of his energy attacking them...substituting fanciful additions to scriptural allusions ("Grace" in the dust? Chapter and verse, please) for actual scripture. And he uses his own experiences...such as a "broken condom" college incident with a girlfriend...to "inform" his views (his girlfriend tearfully made him promise to support any decision she might make. He also reveals that he willingly referred patients to abortionists even during the time when he refused to perform them himself (what strong principles the man exhibits!). And he continually uses standard derogatory and demeaning terms for those who hold views different from him. In short, there is little to distinguish anything he writes from the standard propaganda issued by Planned Parenthood...right down to the talking points and political demagoguery.

I believe that is what Ape was referring to when he mentioned the description of Parker as being a "Christian advocate for reproductive justice." The term "Christian" seems to be loosely thrown in without explanation even though it is touted as one of the selling points that makes this book "different."

Again, rather than quoting the blurbs and ads from the publishers and fellow travelers, how about offering a personal critique? If you're just going to judge from what those who stand to gain most have to say, then "Dude, Where's My Car?" is a cinematic masterpiece of historical proportions.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-10-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 08:03 PM   #2029

Quote:
He's already read your book, Ape. Try reading his.
Does he use Scripture in his book to justify the baby inside the mother as anything other than a life? Does he use Scripture to show that abortion could be considered biblical? Since you've read the book I'm just looking for a simple "yes" or "no".

You seem opposed to offer insight on the book you recommended by a "Christian Reproductive Justice Advocate" to Christians. Seemingly you want Christians to read the book to perhaps change or "open" their mind that abortion could be considered biblical, but why would I, as a Christian, want to read a book from a "Christian Reproductive Justice Advocate" abortionist if he isn't using Scripture (correctly, or even incorrectly) to justify his position?

While I haven't read his book, I have read interviews and articles and have yet to see where he uses Scripture to justify abortion as being a Christian virtue or biblical.The reviews I read on Amazon, yes the negative ones, seem to allude that he doesn't use Scripture in such a way. Is that the case in his book?

In interviews I've read where he states that he had a "Jesus moment" and he is doing "God's work". His "Jesus moment" was a sermon from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's sermon on the Good Samaritan. In which Dr. Parker states ," I became the person on the road having to respond to the need of another person in this case women asking me to help them safely end their pregnancies." This certainly doesn't justify abortion as being God's work or biblical in the least bit. To draw the conclusion that the acts of the Good Samaritan makes abortion biblical is ridiculous. Since when is the "needs" of another person to be elevated above the Word of God? Does he address that?

Comparing himself to the Good Samaritan, he says what he does (abortions) is "good". Whether or not you are pro-life or pro-abortion, how can one, especially a Christian, call abortion "good". How is it ever "good" or a virtue (as another member referred to it as)? What Scripture would give an indication that abortion would be a "good" act? Does he address that?

Would God think the acts of the Good Samaritan were good or biblical? Would God think the acts of committing abortion to be "good" or biblical? If this is the extent to which he uses Scripture in his book, where it couldn't be any further out of context, why should a Bible believing Christian read his book?

While reading the Bible I have never read any passage that would even remotely suggest abortion is acceptable. In fact, every reference to a baby inside the mother's womb could only be seen as a life inside the mother. A life of value. Does Dr. Parker address this at all in his book?

On side notes, he also refers to his "skills in abortion". Does he believe that these are God given "skills"? Does he thank God for these "skills"?

When asked if he fears for his life as an abortion provider, he responded: "If I succumb to an anxiety that leaves me more preoccupied with what can happen to me than the good I can do, that's already a form of death." But abortion is not a form of death? And again, he's referring to abortion as "good".

Quote:
By the way, "it's what women need" is justification enough, which is the point. "Creekdipper gives his permission" does not enter the equation.
It is not justification enough from a Christian biblical standard. Where does it say in the Bible that a person's "need" (Parker's word), or desires and wants (my words), is to be placed above Scripture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post

I believe that is what Ape was referring to when he mentioned the description of Parker as being a "Christian advocate for reproductive justice."
I am no longer pro-life, I am a Christian Justice Advocate for the Human Life Inside the Mother's Womb and the Rights of the Innocent and Defenseless Pre-Born Children. CJAHLIMWRIDPBC for short.
Old 08-12-17, 01:08 AM   #2030
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
Does he use Scripture in his book to justify the baby inside the mother as anything other than a life?
No, because scripture is a work of fiction. Whenever I need advice on abortion, the tooth fairy is a more reliable source.

- Machiavelli

Last edited by inri222; 08-12-17 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-12-17, 04:19 AM   #2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
No, because scripture is a work of fiction. Whenever I need advice on abortion, the tooth fairy is a more reliable source.
Unless you are Dr. Parker, I was asking if Dr. Parker, A "Christian Reproductive Justice Advocate Abortionist", uses Scripture in his book in which he tries to convince people abortion is a Christian virtue. If he does not, he has no leg to stand on, and not sure why Vibiana would recommend it.
Old 08-12-17, 05:55 AM   #2032
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Whenever I need advice on abortion, the tooth fairy is a more reliable source.

The tooth fairy does talk a lot about prevention.

Maybe "CJAHLIMWRIDPBC" needs a spokesperson.
Old 08-12-17, 10:13 AM   #2033
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Unless you are Dr. Parker, I was asking if Dr. Parker, A "Christian Reproductive Justice Advocate Abortionist", uses Scripture in his book in which he tries to convince people abortion is a Christian virtue. If he does not, he has no leg to stand on, and not sure why Vibiana would recommend it.
I can't speak for Dr. Parker, but sometimes when talking to children I use imaginary stories to get them to understand simple concepts.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 10:19 AM   #2034
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
CJAHLIMWRIDPBC for short.
This coupon code does not seem to work on amazon.com.
Is it possible that it's for amazon.ca? Do you have a .com coupon code?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-12-17, 07:01 PM   #2035
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I use imaginary stories to get them to understand simple concepts.
I think your post is just helping my idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

The tooth fairy does talk a lot about prevention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This coupon code does not seem to work on amazon.com.
Is it possible that it's for amazon.ca? Do you have a .com coupon code?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-13-17, 01:04 PM   #2036
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I can't speak for Dr. Parker, but sometimes when talking to children I use imaginary stories to get them to understand simple concepts.
Good thing you never display a condescending attitude.

That goes hand in hand with going through every single day without ever (ever!) uttering an offending word to anyone.

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-13-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 01:22 PM   #2037
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Good thing you never display a condescending attitude.

That goes hand in hand with going through every single day without ever (ever!) uttering an offending word to anyone.

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-13-17, 01:28 PM   #2038
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Hey now! Stop aping me!