Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-08-15, 11:36 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fox News Alert! (A Fox News Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fox always trots out the African-America Sheriff(!) from Milwaukee (!) as if he represents all law enforcement. But he's black so his criticism of Obama is more profound, right Fox?
That guy is insane.

- Machiavelli
Old 12-08-15, 11:58 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Everyone knows Fox is the #1 cable news network, but what's far less reported is that half the audience turns the sound off and just wanks to the news babes.
Only to Patti Ann Browne! *

*Especially if she is on Red Eye because my wife is already asleep.
Old 12-08-15, 12:01 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

This is hilarious.

- Machiavelli
Old 12-08-15, 12:28 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

The best part about that is that the villain is not a conservative - he's a fascist (which brings back all of the Nazi stuff). Fox News drew that comparison.

That's all I got. To even touch on how dumb Fox News is - it's just too much.
Old 12-08-15, 12:30 PM   #30
Time Lord

If Captain America actually existed, Fox News would have labeled him a traitor long ago.
Old 12-08-15, 12:38 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
If Captain America actually existed, Fox News would have labeled him a traitor long ago.
It's not just Captain America!

Old 12-08-15, 02:26 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 12-08-15, 03:19 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

The only two reasons why Fox News has such high ratings.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-08-15, 06:01 PM   #34
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Obama has been called a coward by many on Fox and FBN, so pussy should be more of a compliment, I would think.
When people were saying some years back that no president has been as disrespected and hated as much as Obama I thought they were off base. What about Clinton, I thought. Turns out I was wrong.

Former Governor and VP candidate Sarah Palin saying "If he [Obama] doesn’t have a “big stick” to carry, maybe it’s time for him to grow one."

Now a former army lt. colonel is going on Fox News calling the president a "total pussy."

They not only go out of their way to make the president look bad, they make themselves look bad, as well as the country. If they disagree with him, they should say it in an articulate way, they shouldn't resort to slander and insults, because whether they like it or not, he represents us around the world.

This is the same guy that supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq right?

Quote:
I guess we still can't say SHIT on TV but it's more than ok to show video of people talk about aborting fetuses and parts, and then having Fox News commentators be even more graphic as if we couldn't figure out what the fuck the subtitles (provided by Pro-Life folk of course) were saying.
Do you feel both shouldn't be aired on TV or that saying expletives and calling the people pussy on air is okay?

I'd rather not have the bar lowered so far that paid commentators and guests, speaking on serious issues, come across as low lifes and speak in a way that comes across as crude and uneducated.
Old 12-08-15, 06:58 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The only two reasons why Fox News has such high ratings.
No. There's a very clear third one. Dumb people. The fact that Fox News is the most-watched news station only proves that the fringe has taken over. I have a hard time reconciling that it's a "vocal minority".
Old 12-08-15, 07:15 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sticking with my Titty Theory.

How can a most-watched news station be evidence that "The Fringe Have Taken Over."

Obviously, somebody is watching Fox News, and it isn't only Republicans and Abortion Doctor Killers.

Old 12-08-15, 07:26 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't Stacey Dash black when she was in Clueless? Now she looks like a blond white chick with a spray on tan.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 12-08-15, 08:06 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
How can a most-watched news station be evidence that "The Fringe Have Taken Over."
The political fringe have taken over the mainstream. You think it's a small collective of stupid people. But as time goes on, we'll find that it's a big movement.
Old 12-08-15, 08:20 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Wasn't Stacey Dash black when she was in Clueless? Now she looks like a blond white chick with a spray on tan.
Not sure if you wear glasses but that butt is NOT blonde.
Old 12-08-15, 08:21 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler / Donald Trump? View Post
The political fringe have taken over the mainstream. You think it's a small collective of stupid people. But as time goes on, we'll find that it's a big movement.
Donald? That you?
Old 12-08-15, 08:29 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
She is part Bajan, African American and Mexican.
Old 12-08-15, 10:03 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
When people were saying some years back that no president has been as disrespected and hated as much as Obama I thought they were off base. What about Clinton, I thought. Turns out I was wrong.
That is such a subjective claim, I have no clue how one would either confirm or rebut it.

But I notice you skipped a president. Let me give you a reminder of some of what Obama's predecessor was subject to. Again, I don't know how you quantify abuse, and it's entirely possible that our political debate has gotten even more coarse and intemperate since then, so this is not to disprove your assertion. But you mentioned some anecdotes, so I'll give you a few additional ones, just as a refresher.

Keith Olbermann called him a "liar", a "fascist", and "murderous". On the House floor, a Congressman accused him of sending kids to "get their heads blown off for [his] amusement". Oh, and let's not forget the movie (generally well-received) that showed him getting shot.

Now, perhaps you feel that Bush deserved the insults, unlike Obama. Which is kind of my point.
Old 12-08-15, 10:15 PM   #43
Time Lord

It's clear that American politics have become increasingly divisive since the '80s, with the Republicans trying to impeach Clinton over something that virtually no one outside of Washington actually cared about (and something most members of Congress were also doing), but I think Bush's and Obama's presidencies have really escalated it. There were plenty of criticisms on the right of Clinton, and plenty from the left of Reagan, but it seemed like the opposing side still had at least the appearance of respect. With Bush, the veneer was ripped off, and that's continued with Obama.
Old 12-08-15, 10:23 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's clear that American politics have become increasingly divisive since the '80s, with the Republicans trying to impeach Clinton over something that virtually no one outside of Washington actually cared about (and something most members of Congress were also doing), but I think Bush's and Obama's presidencies have really escalated it. There were plenty of criticisms on the right of Clinton, and plenty from the left of Reagan, but it seemed like the opposing side still had at least the appearance of respect. With Bush, the veneer was ripped off, and that's continued with Obama.
Part of it (definitely not all) seems to be that the party that loses the White House bides its time and then when they do gain power it's payback time. But maybe it's always been that way, I don't know.

One theory that's been proposed is that Congressmen used to actually live in Washington and socially interacted with one another. Now they just fly in for votes (sometimes) and don't have any social relationships with their opponents, which makes it easy to think of them as enemies.
Old 12-08-15, 10:35 PM   #45
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
Part of it (definitely not all) seems to be that the party that loses the White House bides its time and then when they do gain power it's payback time. But maybe it's always been that way, I don't know.

One theory that's been proposed is that Congressmen used to actually live in Washington and socially interacted with one another. Now they just fly in for votes (sometimes) and don't have any social relationships with their opponents, which makes it easy to think of them as enemies.
I like this idea. There should be a Congress dorm where they have to stay 2 in a room in bunks.. and each have to be from a different party. Let's make it happen.
Old 12-08-15, 11:03 PM   #46

Quote:
That is such a subjective claim, I have no clue how one would either confirm or rebut it.

But I notice you skipped a president. Let me give you a reminder of some of what Obama's predecessor was subject to. Again, I don't know how you quantify abuse, and it's entirely possible that our political debate has gotten even more coarse and intemperate since then, so this is not to disprove your assertion. But you mentioned some anecdotes, so I'll give you a few additional ones, just as a refresher.

Keith Olbermann called him a "liar", a "fascist", and "murderous". On the House floor, a Congressman accused him of sending kids to "get their heads blown off for [his] amusement". Oh, and let's not forget the movie (generally well-received) that showed him getting shot.
I skipped one (George W.) because some commentators/supporters/Democrats claimed all the hate coming from Republicans and Conservatives was because Obama was black and that it was more so than any other president. At the time I countered with Bill Clinton who was also a Democrat but not black and how they're were accusations that he killed Vince Foster, insults that he was white trash, etc.

But I should have elaborated more since the original claim at the time was that he was the most hated/disrespected because he was black.

Quote:
Now, perhaps you feel that Bush deserved the insults, unlike Obama. Which is kind of my point.
I didn't like Olbermann and have said so in many discussions on news/politics, some of it on this forum.

As far as the Bush insults go, at the time I also used those as examples of how Obama being visually portrayed as Hitler was similar to how people were portraying George W. Bush during his administration.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-08-15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 11:08 PM   #47

Quote:
It's clear that American politics have become increasingly divisive since the '80s, with the Republicans trying to impeach Clinton over something that virtually no one outside of Washington actually cared about (and something most members of Congress were also doing),
Perjury and obstruction of justice? Sexually harassing an employee? Or having an affair?

Quote:
but I think Bush's and Obama's presidencies have really escalated it. There were plenty of criticisms on the right of Clinton, and plenty from the left of Reagan, but it seemed like the opposing side still had at least the appearance of respect. With Bush, the veneer was ripped off, and that's continued with Obama.
It also got worse when news channels became more focused on entertainment and Morton Downey Jr.-like behavior in order to attract audiences who wouldn't normally follow politics.
Old 12-08-15, 11:26 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
And she's been married/divorced 3 times. So much for that whole sanctity of marriage bit.

Old 12-09-15, 12:19 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Take their completely corrupted income out of the picture, and they'd all be friends, and would actually get stuff done. Those who wouldn't want to stay, would certainly leave and would give a chance to others who wanted to do public service.

Pay an across-the-board schedule. $65,000/year for the first year, $100,000/year for the 5th year (this would imply that 4 years at the previous salary, they would be staying for the public interest...instead of their own.)

I'd be more than happy to add other benefits, and since somebody mentioned dorms, why not build one big fucking dormitory for Congress and not charge them at all for staying there? I suppose it would be a terrorist target, but what isn't these days.

Congress needs to think more like a public servant, as well as act like one, rather than acting like businessmen who are out to con everyone they speak to.

I read where the average poor American Congressman makes about $180K a year. That's way too much for what Americans are getting...which is nothing.

Old 12-09-15, 12:30 AM   #50
Time Lord

The problem is, what Congress is going to vote against the interests of the members of Congress?