Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-14-17, 01:05 PM   #751
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The War for Free Expression at College: The One & Only Megathread

In a statement Joseph Castro, president of California State University, Fresno, said the school's policy on free speech is clear.

"Free speech on campus is not limited to a 'free speech zone' or any other narrowly defined area," he said. "Those disagreeing with the students' message have a right to their own speech, but they do not have the right to erase or stifle someone else's speech under the guise of their own right to free speech."
Old 05-14-17, 01:37 PM   #752
DVD Talk Legend

My thought: free expression discourse (or activism) on college campuses is good to help kickstart young adults' thought processes. Similar to how you're probably never going to use Algebra in real life, but it encourages critical thinking.

I don't have a problem with it's existence. But I take as much from that video's discourse, as I take from watching a dog chase its tail. I can't think of a single similar 'college activism' video that left me enlightened. I don't learn anything from someone who chalks out pro-life messages on a sidewalk.
Old 05-14-17, 02:23 PM   #753
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I don't have a problem with it's existence. But I take as much from that video's discourse, as I take from watching a dog chase its tail. I can't think of a single similar 'college activism' video that left me enlightened. I don't learn anything from someone who chalks out pro-life messages on a sidewalk.
It appears the students will be "enlightening" the professor.

They are suing over the literal erasure of free speech.

"The crux of this case is a very simple message. Public university professors should be encouraging free speech," said the lead attorney "not erasing it from existence. You will be held accountable."
Old 05-14-17, 02:45 PM   #754
DVD Talk Legend

Anything to pass the time, I suppose. Shame those kids aren't off learning a skill. The world needs more people who know what they're doing. Less rhetorical college activism and more doctors, mechanics, tradesmen, etc.