Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-15, 09:42 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,031
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

and we revert

guns have more than one purpose
until you can see that, there is no reason having a discussion

People kill people, yes, and sometimes they use guns
People that kill should be restricted, killing by any means is wrong.

Guns are already restricted, not just anyone can own one legally, so check that point off your list as 'mission accomplished' GUNS ARE RESTRICTED.

My guns have never killed anyone, so if that is all they were designed to do, they failed or maybe they have another purpose? Come on, I know you were paying attention back there.

You say designed to kill people, you say invented to kill people

How about we change both those terms (designed and invented) to the phrase "PRIMARY USE for the average American LEGAL gun owner". After all, USE is what really matters, right?

I can say my wife's meatloaf was designed and invented to kill people, but its primary USE is as dinner in my house.

I can point you to 100's of thousands of LEGAL GUN OWNING AMERICANS that *USE* their guns for "sport" (and I use 'sport' loosely that is a huge category, take 'sport' to simply mean NOT killing humans), but that discussion is silly? really?

Like 'sport' is a minority use for guns among US gun owners? Now THAT is a silly thought. I have waited 2 hours to get a lane at the local shooting range, it's CROWDED.

There are over 350 million guns in the US by best official count (there really are a shit ton more), if they were all USED to kill people as you point out THE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO KILL, there would be no one left.

I am going out on a limb here and will say most guns are used for 'sport', if instead you are correct and most are used for killing, please show me the deaths that equal 350 million guns killing potentially 318 million humans?

or is what you really have a ton of media hype about a small percentage of the population that is mentally insane and enjoys killing other humans?

When a significant percentage of the LEGALLY OWNED guns in America have actually been used by a human to kill another human ('common USE'), let me know, then I might agree with you. [and I don't count suicide by gun, doing so is BS]

Total US population = 318 million - ALL of them could potentially be killed by someone with a gun

Gun Homicide in recent years is roughly 12,000 per year (suicide doubles that and isn't relevant to my point), much of that is career criminal related (meaning illegal guns and people that can't legally have them, but I will not scrub those from the number)

If you sift through the muck and media hype and bullshit, most guns in the US are not actually killing people like you claim is the only design and purpose.

350 million guns, 318 million people, 12,000 homicide deaths per year (and some large percentage of those 12,000 are committed with illegal guns by non-legal owners) less than .005 % of the population is being killed by a gun even if we include illegal guns.

You realize that you are never going to be 100% gun death free in the US no matter what it is that you do, right? Gun are out of the bag, you can't un-invent them or make them vanish. Yes you can minimize the deaths, .005%, pretty damn good job being done already.

If .005% isn't an acceptable level to you, then what is?

If you say 0%, this just becomes an unhealthy obsession to obtain an unreachable goal which is a mental illness all it's own. Life has risk, freedom has risk, you want a risk free life, can't help you.

I think .005% is proof the current gun laws do work.

Now let's work on fixing the reasons WHY humans want to kill other humans.

Why do you think people WANT to grab a gun and kill other people? That is the important shit right there to worry about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:18 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,491
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

The only reason we don't have more gun deaths is because in general, people don't want to kill other people. Yet they really really really want to own guns, so they had to come up with other things to do with them. But that's only because their true purpose is to end another person's life.

Blaming "mental health" is as much of a copout. People with mental health issues are far more likely to be victims of violence instead of perpetrators of it.

But I guess we're right back where we started - and in a few days/weeks another mass shooting will happen and we'll just say "oh well, at least I can go to the crowded gun range whenever I want!" And the cycle continues.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:05 AM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 6,143
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I think .005% is proof the current gun laws do work.
This is a kind of interesting chart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

It shows different countries homicide by gun rate per 100,000 people.
The USA in 2013 had 3.55 per 100,000. Not a bad number for sure. Most of those countries that are worse are 2nd and 3rd world Latin American HellHoles.

Obviously western europe fares much better than we do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:13 AM   #129
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,684
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
You are the one saying guns only have one purpose, I am explaining they have more than one. Sure guns are used to kill, but for other things too.

the first gun (fire lance) was actually designed to "DEFEND" not attack, so go figure. Your "root of all evil only designed/invented to kill people" and nothing else is hype.
Oh please. Guns are made for a single purpose - to shoot a projectile. You can shoot it at a target, in the air, into an animal, or into a person. The latter two are things you do when you are fucking around with something actually designed to do the two former. It's a load of horse shit when you say any purpose for a gun has the same weight as killing or maiming another living thing. It's as if you are talking to first graders with such a simplistic defense of a gun's purpose.

And the fire lance was designed to "defend" - yeah, by firing a fucking spear in the attacker and kill them.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:38 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 37,850
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
the first gun (fire lance) was actually designed to "DEFEND" not attack, so go figure.
I believe you're mistaken about this -- do you have a link?
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 01:13 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
and we revert

guns have more than one purpose
until you can see that, there is no reason having a discussion

People kill people, yes, and sometimes they use guns
People that kill should be restricted, killing by any means is wrong.

Guns are already restricted, not just anyone can own one legally, so check that point off your list as 'mission accomplished' GUNS ARE RESTRICTED.

My guns have never killed anyone, so if that is all they were designed to do, they failed or maybe they have another purpose? Come on, I know you were paying attention back there.

You say designed to kill people, you say invented to kill people

How about we change both those terms (designed and invented) to the phrase "PRIMARY USE for the average American LEGAL gun owner". After all, USE is what really matters, right?

I can say my wife's meatloaf was designed and invented to kill people, but its primary USE is as dinner in my house.

I can point you to 100's of thousands of LEGAL GUN OWNING AMERICANS that *USE* their guns for "sport" (and I use 'sport' loosely that is a huge category, take 'sport' to simply mean NOT killing humans), but that discussion is silly? really?

Like 'sport' is a minority use for guns among US gun owners? Now THAT is a silly thought. I have waited 2 hours to get a lane at the local shooting range, it's CROWDED.

There are over 350 million guns in the US by best official count (there really are a shit ton more), if they were all USED to kill people as you point out THE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO KILL, there would be no one left.

I am going out on a limb here and will say most guns are used for 'sport', if instead you are correct and most are used for killing, please show me the deaths that equal 350 million guns killing potentially 318 million humans?

or is what you really have a ton of media hype about a small percentage of the population that is mentally insane and enjoys killing other humans?

When a significant percentage of the LEGALLY OWNED guns in America have actually been used by a human to kill another human ('common USE'), let me know, then I might agree with you. [and I don't count suicide by gun, doing so is BS]

Total US population = 318 million - ALL of them could potentially be killed by someone with a gun

Gun Homicide in recent years is roughly 12,000 per year (suicide doubles that and isn't relevant to my point), much of that is career criminal related (meaning illegal guns and people that can't legally have them, but I will not scrub those from the number)

If you sift through the muck and media hype and bullshit, most guns in the US are not actually killing people like you claim is the only design and purpose.

350 million guns, 318 million people, 12,000 homicide deaths per year (and some large percentage of those 12,000 are committed with illegal guns by non-legal owners) less than .005 % of the population is being killed by a gun even if we include illegal guns.

You realize that you are never going to be 100% gun death free in the US no matter what it is that you do, right? Gun are out of the bag, you can't un-invent them or make them vanish. Yes you can minimize the deaths, .005%, pretty damn good job being done already.

If .005% isn't an acceptable level to you, then what is?

If you say 0%, this just becomes an unhealthy obsession to obtain an unreachable goal which is a mental illness all it's own. Life has risk, freedom has risk, you want a risk free life, can't help you.

I think .005% is proof the current gun laws do work.

Now let's work on fixing the reasons WHY humans want to kill other humans.

Why do you think people WANT to grab a gun and kill other people? That is the important shit right there to worry about.
I'd just like to point out that the "sport" you are talking about is basically "practice killing people".

I've done martial arts for years and we don't practice killing people. Sure, a lot could be adapted to "killing" like repeatedly punching someone to mush, but we don't specifically practice doing so. We don't communicate doing do.

Not so with guns. Guns you practice killing. Just killing. There is no defense other than "center mass" or "head shot". Take a look at all the practice targets and you'll see this is very clear.

When we do sword training we practice killing. I can argue it's "exercise" or "cultural history" but really it's just practicing killing. Swords have no other purpose. I own several nice swords. You can't walk around town with a sword because it's a tool you use for death. Sword deaths are even rarer than gun deaths, but I'd be an idiot if I tried to explain that since they are so rare we should be able to carry them around with us.

The fact that most guns don't kill people is a goofy argument because their design is still to kill. Most knives don't kill people, but you still can't walk around with daggers.
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 02:48 PM   #132
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,066
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Ah yes. The old chesnut that guns only purpose is for killing people, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of privately owned guns in the US have never killed a human being.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 03:07 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Or ever been shot at one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 03:42 PM   #134
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 49,664
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

La la la la la la. Can't hear you. La la la la. Guns are bad. They are designed to kill! That's what my favorite politicians said so that's why it's true! La La La la la.

La la.

La.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~1,050 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 04:14 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,448
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Ah yes. The old chesnut that guns only purpose is for killing people, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of privately owned guns in the US have never killed a human being.
Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Or ever been shot at one.
Yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 06:13 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 49,664
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Yet = La La La
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~1,050 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 06:48 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Ah yes. The old chesnut that guns only purpose is for killing people, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of privately owned guns in the US have never killed a human being.
This game is easy.

Ah yes. The old chestnut that fire-extinguishers only purpose is for putting out fires, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of privately owned fire-extinguishers in the US have never put out a fire.
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 01:05 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 12,466
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

I would like to thank these Senate Democrats for proving that guns do indeed have a legitimate use:


http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-they-demand-/

Armed guards protect Senate Democrats as they demand new gun-control laws

October 8, 2015

Senate Democrats gathered Thursday on the steps of the Capitol surrounded by about a dozen armed guards to announce a new push for tougher gun-control laws.

The officers from the U.S. Capitol Police, who carried sidearms, were in addition to the regular detail patroling the Capitol grounds due the large number of elected officials attending the event
, according to a officer on the scene.

About 27 Democratic senators attended the event.

They announced a set of priorities for combating gun violence, which centered on measures to expand and strengthen background checks for gun purchasers.

They echoed calls by President Obama following the mass shooting last week at a community college in Oregon in which he urged Americans to put pressure on lawmakers to take action to stop the scourge of gun violence in the country.

“We are asking, as the president said, to make their voices heard,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, the No. 3 Democrat in the Senate, “We expect there will be a groundswell.”

The Democrats’ priorities for gun control, which also closely mirrored the plan rolled out last week by Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton, included:

*Closing background check “loopholes,” such as stopping criminals from buying firearms at gun shows or online;

*Improving background checks to include barring domestic abusers and stalkers from buying guns;

*And shutting down the “illegal gun pipeline” by making straw purchasing of guns and gun trafficking a federal crime.

“The victims and their families deserve better than a Congress that shrugs its shoulders and waited for the next tragedy,” said Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat. “They deserve action.”
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 01:15 PM   #139
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I would like to thank these Senate Democrats for proving that guns do indeed have a legitimate use:


http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-they-demand-/

Armed guards protect Senate Democrats as they demand new gun-control laws

October 8, 2015

Senate Democrats gathered Thursday on the steps of the Capitol surrounded by about a dozen armed guards to announce a new push for tougher gun-control laws.

The officers from the U.S. Capitol Police, who carried sidearms, were in addition to the regular detail patroling the Capitol grounds due the large number of elected officials attending the event
, according to a officer on the scene.

About 27 Democratic senators attended the event.

They announced a set of priorities for combating gun violence, which centered on measures to expand and strengthen background checks for gun purchasers.

They echoed calls by President Obama following the mass shooting last week at a community college in Oregon in which he urged Americans to put pressure on lawmakers to take action to stop the scourge of gun violence in the country.

“We are asking, as the president said, to make their voices heard,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, the No. 3 Democrat in the Senate, “We expect there will be a groundswell.”

The Democrats’ priorities for gun control, which also closely mirrored the plan rolled out last week by Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton, included:

*Closing background check “loopholes,” such as stopping criminals from buying firearms at gun shows or online;

*Improving background checks to include barring domestic abusers and stalkers from buying guns;

*And shutting down the “illegal gun pipeline” by making straw purchasing of guns and gun trafficking a federal crime.

“The victims and their families deserve better than a Congress that shrugs its shoulders and waited for the next tragedy,” said Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat. “They deserve action.”
Yes, when people who hoard guns and fantasize about using them want to kill you for threatening to take them away, having armed protection is necessary.

Duh.

There will always be a legitimate need for them. However, the two people who shot up two universities this morning don't happen to be one of those people with that need.

So to be very clear: Most people don't really have that need, but bodyguards do. As to police, security, and special investigators.

Does that make sense?
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 02:50 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,343
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

I deleted my comment assessing the strength of bob's (IMO) urine-poor analogy using fire extinguishers, but I do support sensible measures that can help to restrict ownership to those who are least likely to employ them wrongfully (whether on the basis of criminal records, mental health records, or whatever).

Re: the "need" for firearms...

When you have come face to face with an armed intruder trying to break into your home at two in the morning, it gives one a new perspective.

(That's obviously a bigoted statement. )
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 03:53 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I deleted my comment assessing the strength of bob's (IMO) urine-poor analogy using fire extinguishers, but I do support sensible measures that can help to restrict ownership to those who are least likely to employ them wrongfully (whether on the basis of criminal records, mental health records, or whatever).

Re: the "need" for firearms...

When you have come face to face with an armed intruder trying to break into your home at two in the morning, it gives one a new perspective.

(That's obviously a bigoted statement. )
Unless you live in a country where gun laws have made it so that criminals won't touch guns with a 10-foot pole.

An otherwise armed intruder (knife/clubs/bare hands) I'd have a fair chance at defending myself without a weapon, and an pretty good chance if I were to use any of the weapons stashed in the house. I also have a panic button with a really loud alarm I can press at home.

The odds of me accidentally hurting another human being is drastically diminished with any of the options I just mentioned.

Let me ask you something Creeks. Lets say someone breaks into your house and it's dark, and they may or may not be armed, but you feel threatened and you fire your gun and the bullet misses it's target and takes out the child sleeping next door to you. Or hits your wife? Or the intruder turns out to be your wife? Or a next door neighbor's kid drunk off his ass for the first time?

Was the gun a good idea then? Would you rather have taken the chance that the intruder was not going to hurt you if any of those other options happened? Taken the chance that just playing the odds the intruder would have just left once they saw you (most do btw)?

Would you rather die then accidentally kill someone else?
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 03:59 PM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,066
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yet.



Yet.
And the typical response.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:02 PM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,066
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
This game is easy.

Ah yes. The old chestnut that fire-extinguishers only purpose is for putting out fires, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of privately owned fire-extinguishers in the US have never put out a fire.
It certainly is.
Ah yes. The old chesnut of creating a metaphor that doesn't apply and makes no sense, to cover up the fact that you have no response to the previous statement.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:03 PM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,066
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Yes, when people who hoard guns and fantasize about using them want to kill you for threatening to take them away, having armed protection is necessary.

Duh.

There will always be a legitimate need for them. However, the two people who shot up two universities this morning don't happen to be one of those people with that need.

So to be very clear: Most people don't really have that need, but bodyguards do. As to police, security, and special investigators.

Does that make sense?
No. It does not.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:03 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
It certainly is.
Ah yes. The old chesnut of creating a metaphor that doesn't apply and makes no sense, to cover up the fact that you have no response to the previous statement.
You missed: "The fact that most guns don't kill people is a goofy argument because their design is still to kill. Most knives don't kill people, but you still can't walk around with daggers."
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:04 PM   #146
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,577
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

I'm about as lefty as they come, but I do think that at least some of the opposition to firearms is ignorance of the subject matter. Like "semi-automatic". It sounds scary enough that 60-70% of people will say they favor a ban on semi-automatic weapons. Yeah, who needs a gun that fires a bullet every time you pull the trigger?

I'm sure at some point I would have favored a ban on them, until I held one in my hand and tried it out at a shooting range and realized a semiautomatic gun is basically just a gun.

I don't want anyone taking away my one gun, but I'm ok with things like a national gun registry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:06 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,771
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
No. It does not.
If you can't understand that some people need guns, while other don't, then we're done. You must first be able to understand really basic ideas before moving onto complex ones. It seems you are stuck on the ground floor pushing on the door marked "pull".
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:11 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 19,703
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Was the gun a good idea then? Would you rather have taken the chance that the intruder was not going to hurt you if any of those other options happened? Taken the chance that just playing the odds the intruder would have just left once they saw you (most do btw)?

Would you rather die then accidentally kill someone else?
If you would rather die than accidentally kill someone else, good for you. Please move near me and let me advertise that fact so my family can be safer. But if I or my family is threatened, I would rather that the threat die... period. The notion of an intruder just "going away" if faced with deadly force is fine and well, but if I don't have the means of protecting my family and an armed intruder has forced his way in, I am unwilling to allow my life to be held hostage to the notion that the immoral intruder is moral enough to not commit murder to cover his tracks.
__________________
Sweed goes down with an achillies injury. As a Steelers fan, this is great news. - Tarantino, 5-02-10
If Tebow beats the Steelers today, I will post a pic of me Tebow'ing in one of my Pittsburgh jerseys. - Tarantino, 1-08-12
I am glad you've allowed the medical community to try and fix your laziness - aktick, 4-20-16
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:15 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,237
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
If you can't understand that some people need guns...
Who are those people and why do you admit they need them?

Honestly answer that question and you'll likely have your answer to why others feel they need them despite you're opinion that they do not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 04:28 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 12,466
Re: You say Gun control i say gun rights let's call the whole thing off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Yes, when people who hoard guns and fantasize about using them want to kill you for threatening to take them away, having armed protection is necessary.

Duh.

There will always be a legitimate need for them. However, the two people who shot up two universities this morning don't happen to be one of those people with that need.

So to be very clear: Most people don't really have that need, but bodyguards do. As to police, security, and special investigators.

Does that make sense?


What about people who can't afford armed bodyguards? (i.e., the poorest 99% of the population that Democrats are always claiming to care about)

Should they have a right to self defense?

Or does that right only belong to people who are rich enough to hire armed bodyguards?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0