Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-28-15, 09:44 AM   #101
DVD Talk God

Re: One and only legal cannabis thread

I know a lot of people who want legalization hate this legislation because of how it was written.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-04-15, 10:08 AM   #102
DVD Talk God

No idea if this is authentic or not.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-04-15, 10:35 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I know a lot of people who want legalization hate this legislation because of how it was written.
FWIW, I have no problem with marijuana legalization, and I will be voting against the ballot initiative. The way it's written is beyond ridiculous, to the point of being scandalous.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-04-15, 11:28 AM   #104
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I read it and it is almost like you would imagine someone in the tobacco industry would write it. I wouldn't vote for it either. They are just hoping there is so much momentum that people will vote for it without looking into it.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-08-15, 01:52 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

So, my brother was diagnosed with throat cancer in June (he's 51). Surgery removed the source and they are optimistic they got it all in time. He has to go for chemo and a daily radiation blast to his throat area. He lost all taste sensation and every day it is more difficult to swallow due to the radiation treatments. He has a feeding tube. When he gets his monthly chemo, he is very sick and nauseous. He's a tough guy - he's a hunter type, owns many firearms, and won't admit when he's suffering. He hasn't smoked weed in a decade or more. Out of the blue, he called me asking if I could get him any marijuana because he was so intensely sick. I knew it was bad if he was calling me asking me for this. I did manage to get a small quantity and brought it to him. When I got there, his wife was extremely upset having never seen him this bad and was very worried. He took like 2-3 hits and it was like a miracle. His nausea subsided, he smiled and start talking, and just settled back into his couch and seemed comforted at least for a short while.

So anyone that says medical marijuana is bullshit is a fucking jackass. Of course, he and I both live in a state that considers this breaking the law. His job would fire him if he was drug tested. (His job already told him he's not allowed to take the anti-nausea meds because the bottle says it could make him dizzy.) Enough already. I'm for complete recreational legalization. Enough is enough.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 09-08-15, 02:26 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he makes a complete recovery!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 09-08-15, 03:56 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is he an heavy equipment operator or something? Can't imagine his job telling him which prescriptions he can take while dealing with cancer treatments, unless he's driving a bus or a forklift or something like that.
Old 09-08-15, 04:12 PM   #108
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So, my brother was diagnosed with throat cancer in June (he's 51). Surgery removed the source and they are optimistic they got it all in time. He has to go for chemo and a daily radiation blast to his throat area. He lost all taste sensation and every day it is more difficult to swallow due to the radiation treatments. He has a feeding tube. When he gets his monthly chemo, he is very sick and nauseous. He's a tough guy - he's a hunter type, owns many firearms, and won't admit when he's suffering. He hasn't smoked weed in a decade or more. Out of the blue, he called me asking if I could get him any marijuana because he was so intensely sick. I knew it was bad if he was calling me asking me for this. I did manage to get a small quantity and brought it to him. When I got there, his wife was extremely upset having never seen him this bad and was very worried. He took like 2-3 hits and it was like a miracle. His nausea subsided, he smiled and start talking, and just settled back into his couch and seemed comforted at least for a short while.

So anyone that says medical marijuana is bullshit is a fucking jackass. Of course, he and I both live in a state that considers this breaking the law. His job would fire him if he was drug tested. (His job already told him he's not allowed to take the anti-nausea meds because the bottle says it could make him dizzy.) Enough already. I'm for complete recreational legalization. Enough is enough.
Good for you, man. I mean, sorry about the shitty situation, but I'm glad you were able to get some relief for him. It's honestly like people who are against weed legalization think that prohibition of alcohol was a really good plan with no discernible problems.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-08-15, 04:17 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
It's honestly like people who are against weed legalization think that prohibition of alcohol was a really good plan with no discernible problems.
I've seen a few episodes of Boardwalk Empire, but to be honest I wasn't really paying that close attention. Did Prohibition not go well?
Old 09-09-15, 07:48 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Is he an heavy equipment operator or something? Can't imagine his job telling him which prescriptions he can take while dealing with cancer treatments, unless he's driving a bus or a forklift or something like that.
Not a fork lift driver but, yes, he works in a very dangerous facility. The place has its own medical facilities.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 09-10-15, 02:43 PM   #111
DVD Talk God

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/interna...b_8100122.html
Quote:
How Cannabis Legalization Has Impacted Impaired Driving in Washington State

You've likely heard that regulating cannabis markets will lead to more stoned drivers on the road. Although the evidence in support of this claim is weak, it's repeated time and time again. So we thought we would ask members of law enforcement from Washington State, where cannabis markets were legalized and regulated under Initiative 502 in November 2012, what they think of this claim.

In this interview, Sheriff John Urquhart of King County, and John Schochet, Deputy City Attorney for Policy and Constituent Affairs from the Seattle City Attorney's Office, share how they think regulation has impacted impaired driving.

A claim we often hear is that cannabis regulation will lead to greater impaired driving. What has your experience of cannabis impaired driving been since legalizing and regulating cannabis markets in Washington State?

Sheriff John Urquhart: The Washington State Patrol's numbers indicate that, despite the legalization of recreational marijuana, driving under the influence (DUI) has not measurably increased. My experience as Sheriff, and the experience of my officers, reflects this. Some people drove impaired on marijuana before legalization, and about the same number will do so after legalization.

John Schochet: Anecdotally, I do think you are getting more people driving under the influence of marijuana. Cannabis legalization does not seem to have increased DUIs overall, though it might be that some cannabis DUIs are substituting for alcohol DUIs. Overall, DUI increases are not an enormous problem when it comes to marijuana legalization, but it could be if left unchecked.

How has Initiative 502 impacted the way individuals are convicted of driving under the influence of cannabis?

Schochet: First, it's worth emphasizing that cannabis legalization didn't mean that impaired driving was legalized. What it did do was make it easier to convict people who are actually driving stoned, rather than those who simply show evidence of cannabis use in their blood.

There are two substances that can be determined by a blood test: Carboxy-THC and active THC. Carboxy THC doesn't indicate impairment because it stays in your blood for a long time. It just shows that you used cannabis at some point. Active THC actually shows impairment.

Without other evidence of impairment, basing conviction on carboxy alone is unreasonable. But before 502, a lot of people were being convicted of driving under the influence of cannabis based on just carboxy in the blood. Initiative 502 created an objective standard for determining cannabis impairment of 5 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of whole blood (ng/ml). So this objective standard created under regulation is a significant improvement compared to what a lot of prosecutors were using before.

Urquhart: Investigating impairment solely for marijuana use has historically been a little tricky. The officer would have to prove impairment based on his or her observations of the driver, and often a drug recognition expert would have to observe the driver as well. With the new per se limits on THC, however, it has become much easier to investigate and prosecute a driver for being impaired solely from marijuana.

So you have better guidelines for detecting cannabis impairment. How is that panning out in implementation?

Schochet: There are challenges, particularly because you need a blood test to accurately determine cannabis impairment, and you need it quickly. Why? Because you can't trace back how impaired someone was when they were driving based on the active THC in their blood two hours after they drove.

Getting blood is tricky because we can't suspend your license if you refuse to take a blood test (like we can if someone refuses to take a breath test), and because in Washington State you need a warrant to forcibly take someone's blood.

These problems aside, you can also convict someone by subjectively proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the person was under the influence of cannabis while driving. So, we are working on getting more police trained to identify marijuana intoxication. As more get trained, we are able to more effectively enforce the laws around cannabis impaired driving.

Beyond greater police training to detect it, is there anything else we can do to better address cannabis impaired driving?

Schochet: Public education is key. We've spent the last several decades educating people about the dangers of driving drunk and this has been, overall, a very successful effort.

Unfortunately, we are not there yet with marijuana. A lot of heavy users actually believe that it is fine to drive stoned. Maybe it is not as dangerous as alcohol or dangerous in the same way as alcohol, but our view of the evidence is that driving stoned is a problem. This education piece - effectively informing people that although cannabis is safe enough to be legal, it is not safe to drive under the influence of cannabis - is tricky.

Given all your experience, how do you respond to the claim that we shouldn't legalize and regulate cannabis because it will lead to more stoned drivers?

Schcheto: Is there a concern with impaired driving? Absolutely. It's a huge issue with alcohol and has been for a long time. But our response isn't to ban alcohol. Our response is to go after people who drive impaired and to engage in public safety campaigns. So when it comes to impaired driving, I view it as something we should be worried about, but it is not a justification for banning marijuana.

Urquhart: The truth of the matter is that regulation will come with harms. The key is weighing the costs and benefits of a regulated vs. unregulated market. We have been fighting a futile drug war for over 40 years. I'm pleased we are not allowing the fear of change to impede the search for a better way.
Weird to see it spoken about so reasonably and without a lot of "These stoners will destroy us all!!!!"

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-15, 12:21 PM   #112
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like folks in Florida are trying to get into the game. It'll be interesting to see how many states choose legalization in 2016.

'Florida cannabis act' would legalize marijuana in 2016
Old 09-14-15, 12:52 PM   #113
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
I have a question for the smokers here: I've never smoked or known people who did and have recently started dating somebody who smokes pretty much everyday. He seems to be functioning well but I'm still worried it might have a negative impact on his life or on our relationship. Any thoughts?
To add to my post, I would say that he smokes around 2-3 small joints per day, or whatever the equivalent is with a bong. He seems to be functioning well but I have my concerns about him doing it at 8am on weekends. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Howiefan; 09-14-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 01:44 PM   #114
DVD Talk God

Okay, fine, I'll fall on my sword for Howiefan.

I smoke daily. And when I mean daily, I mean that out of the last 730 days in the last 2 years, I've smoked (or ingested in some form) 700 of those 730 days. Saturday my wife and I were going to Costco about 90 minutes away and I had the equivalent of 7-10 brownies (WA brownies are limited to 10mg). I was high as hell and my wife didn't have a clue until I burped and she thought there must have been a dead skunk nearby on the road. Then I told her.

She knows, my kids know, my parents know, a few members here know.

Because I'm rational enough to recognize that I'm probably not a great judge of whether it has affected me negatively or not, after I was using for about 6 months I decided to go to a counselor who specialized in drug counseling. After about the 4th session he said to me, "you know I do have some concerns with long term use, but it sounds like this is doing you a lot of good and I sure wouldn't tell you that you should stop."

I continue to own and run a small business, I continue to care for 35 rentals. I continue to take care of my family. My income hasn't been affected, nor has work.

That said, I'm in a small redneck town where the vast majority of people don't know and would probably freak. And it will get out some day and I'll have to deal with being "outed." So far it is the attitudes of others (not knowing I use) that is the only problem. Lots of stereotypes.

But having said all that, every relationship involves people, and all people are different. If everything else seems good with this guy other than the weed, I wouldn't worry about the weed. If he really seems to be incredibly dependent on it, maybe it could be a problem. I'd certainly worry about it more with a 20 year old user than a 40 year old user, simply because the older person has a better history of responsibility (if that matters in this case).

But it ain't like alcohol, so all those worries you have creeping into your head as a result of comparing them (I don't know that you are, but most make those comparisons when they have little experience with it) you can just forget. Don't let that worry or sway you.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-15, 02:45 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

So this explains the all-new, all different hippie-dippie liberal kvrdave.

I figured you just got whacked on the head like Guy Gardner back in his JLI days.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-14-15, 03:03 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I figured you just got whacked on the head like Guy Gardner back in his JLI days.
Old 09-14-15, 03:35 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Okay, fine, I'll fall on my sword for Howiefan.

I smoke daily. And when I mean daily, I mean that out of the last 730 days in the last 2 years, I've smoked (or ingested in some form) 700 of those 730 days. Saturday my wife and I were going to Costco about 90 minutes away and I had the equivalent of 7-10 brownies (WA brownies are limited to 10mg). I was high as hell and my wife didn't have a clue until I burped and she thought there must have been a dead skunk nearby on the road. Then I told her.

She knows, my kids know, my parents know, a few members here know.

Because I'm rational enough to recognize that I'm probably not a great judge of whether it has affected me negatively or not, after I was using for about 6 months I decided to go to a counselor who specialized in drug counseling. After about the 4th session he said to me, "you know I do have some concerns with long term use, but it sounds like this is doing you a lot of good and I sure wouldn't tell you that you should stop."

I continue to own and run a small business, I continue to care for 35 rentals. I continue to take care of my family. My income hasn't been affected, nor has work.

That said, I'm in a small redneck town where the vast majority of people don't know and would probably freak. And it will get out some day and I'll have to deal with being "outed." So far it is the attitudes of others (not knowing I use) that is the only problem. Lots of stereotypes.

But having said all that, every relationship involves people, and all people are different. If everything else seems good with this guy other than the weed, I wouldn't worry about the weed. If he really seems to be incredibly dependent on it, maybe it could be a problem. I'd certainly worry about it more with a 20 year old user than a 40 year old user, simply because the older person has a better history of responsibility (if that matters in this case).

But it ain't like alcohol, so all those worries you have creeping into your head as a result of comparing them (I don't know that you are, but most make those comparisons when they have little experience with it) you can just forget. Don't let that worry or sway you.
Thanks for sharing. The problem is that this guy is somebody I dated previously for 7 months. When we met and I learned of his pot use, I freaked out because I had honestly never really dated or been friends with anybody who smoked and I was raised in a pretty strict household. He told me I made him want to become a better person, etc. and said he would stop smoking so we kept dating.

We ended up living together and our relationship was great, except that I ended up finding out he lied to me for months about not smoking. He also ended up resenting me for being against his smoking and it drove him away from me.

We broke up and after a few months apart, we have decided to give our relationship another shot, this time by being honest and more open-minded with each other. He's been very upfront about wanting to smoke but he still says he wants to quit eventually. I'm trying to get more comfortable with it but obviously it's been a struggle.

We really do get along well together aside from having different views on this issue and I realize the fact that he smokes doesn't really change anything about the way he treats me or the things we do together.
Old 09-14-15, 04:00 PM   #118
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like your mate's level of honesty was a big problem than his cannabis smoking.
Old 09-14-15, 06:16 PM   #119
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. The problem is that this guy is somebody I dated previously for 7 months. When we met and I learned of his pot use, I freaked out because I had honestly never really dated or been friends with anybody who smoked and I was raised in a pretty strict household. He told me I made him want to become a better person, etc. and said he would stop smoking so we kept dating.

We ended up living together and our relationship was great, except that I ended up finding out he lied to me for months about not smoking. He also ended up resenting me for being against his smoking and it drove him away from me.

We broke up and after a few months apart, we have decided to give our relationship another shot, this time by being honest and more open-minded with each other. He's been very upfront about wanting to smoke but he still says he wants to quit eventually. I'm trying to get more comfortable with it but obviously it's been a struggle.

We really do get along well together aside from having different views on this issue and I realize the fact that he smokes doesn't really change anything about the way he treats me or the things we do together.
Obviously coming at this from another angle, but a lot of smokers will talk about quitting and never quit. From what I have gleened, this normally comes from societal conditioning that cannabis will kill you, leave you a zombie, etc. Essentially, it has been looked down upon for so long that many smokers feel guilty about still doing it, but would not be able to verbalize why they want to. It's just conditioning.

My advice to you is to treat it absolutely the same as you would alcohol. That's the way I treat it with my kids. And if you don't see a negative impact on his life (or yours) as a result of this, I'd just let it slide. You may even try it out if it is legal where you are. It's pretty darned good fun, and a hell of a lot better than drinking alcohol.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-15, 06:17 PM   #120
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
So this explains the all-new, all different hippie-dippie liberal kvrdave.

So that's why Republicans are really against marijuana.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-15, 06:27 PM   #121
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Obviously coming at this from another angle, but a lot of smokers will talk about quitting and never quit. From what I have gleened, this normally comes from societal conditioning that cannabis will kill you, leave you a zombie, etc. Essentially, it has been looked down upon for so long that many smokers feel guilty about still doing it, but would not be able to verbalize why they want to. It's just conditioning.

My advice to you is to treat it absolutely the same as you would alcohol. That's the way I treat it with my kids. And if you don't see a negative impact on his life (or yours) as a result of this, I'd just let it slide. You may even try it out if it is legal where you are. It's pretty darned good fun, and a hell of a lot better than drinking alcohol.
Thanks. I'm trying to keep an open mind and I have smoked a few times with him. Maybe I'm not doing it right because I don't feel much of a buzz.
Old 09-14-15, 06:51 PM   #122
DVD Talk God

If you aren't in a legal state or one where MMJ is available, it may be weak stuff and you may be being careful not to overdo it. Quite honestly, it seems most are in that situation. On the other hand, when I read that there was no lethal overdose amount, I took it as a challenge.

And the first few times you may not notice much simply because you may be expecting a result that it doesn't have. Some people get very high without noticing it because it is not what they thought it would be. A few times of doing it and you will get a good idea for it. But if you aren't feeling a buzz, keep smoking. You can't kill yourself smoking. Just don't mess with edibles until you have some experience, a safe place, and someone with you.

― Carl Sagan
Old 09-14-15, 08:40 PM   #123
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Thanks. I'm trying to keep an open mind and I have smoked a few times with him. Maybe I'm not doing it right because I don't feel much of a buzz.
This may sound dumb, but a number of times I've done it, I didn't think I was feeling anything, simply because I was just sitting on the couch. Once I got up, and tried to stumble to the bathroom, I realized, "holy shit, I'm baked!"

Btw, I just got a cheapo oil based vape pen, with refillable cartridges. The oil is rated at 70% THC, and you would DEFINITELY feel it after one puff of that.
Old 09-16-15, 07:21 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

I've only smoked a dozen or so times, but my brother recently got one of of those oil based vape pens too...and holy shit does it get you high.
Old 09-17-15, 10:20 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

I only smoke a couple times a year, and it takes a lot, and I mean a lot to get me stoned to the point of feeling it. I've never had a bad experience, not even paranoia, or whatever people say to scare people off of pot. But I'm not exactly drawn to it. I've never paid for it - stoner friends just give me a bunch of pot, finding it amusing (and maybe out of character) that I like it. But even having just a couple buds on me, took me a few months to get through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I've only smoked a dozen or so times, but my brother recently got one of of those oil based vape pens too...and holy shit does it get you high.
Besides a couple bong hits back in college, taking a hit off a vape pen was probably the most stoned I got. My friend told me that he took that vape pen along with the pot cartridges with him to Europe - on a plane! It's odorless and in cartridges, so outside of taking a hit and waiting, there's no way for airport security to know what it is.