Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-01-15, 11:34 AM   #26
DVD Talk God

Re: One and only legal cannabis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Speaking of, was it a Meth lab or Marijuana farm that caused this fire in Washington.
No idea. Must be on the west of the Cascades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Thankfully with the massive backlog we have of university girls self-righteously getting back at their dads for whatever perceived injustices, we'll be booked solid for quite a long while.

I miss college...
I had a black roommate that was also a cheerleader. Dude got so much tail. I remember him locking the door and ignoring the poor deluding white 20 year old out front sitting, waiting for him.

You fucker.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 11:36 AM   #27
DVD Talk God

Oh, here is a place with a menu. http://www.mainstmj.com/menus/

It appears that WSU is the first college with a strain named for it. A mere 26.9% THC.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 12:08 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
It's been nearly a year so far in Washington state since the first rec stores opened up. So far, the sky hasn't fallen and white women are not seeking carnal relations with black men at a higher rate.
a year and a half here, and it's completely normal. Seems like it's so normal that people have stopped talking about it.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-01-15, 12:43 PM   #29
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Meanwhile in the other 46 oppressive states, PA is finally about to pass their medical marijuana bill (thanks to a newly elected Democratic governor who replaced the Repub dead set on a veto) - a bill which actually forbids smoking the marijuana AND selling it. You must eat or vaporize (added later) the weed you have no legal place to buy.
It's like a zen koan.
Old 07-01-15, 12:46 PM   #30
DVD Talk God

What is the sound of one lung vaping?

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 01:00 PM   #31
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

*sigh* I'll never get legal weed in my lifetime.
Old 07-01-15, 01:10 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 01:30 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

There was that case in Colorado which said that employers can still drug screen and fire people for using marijuana. Even though, it's technically the same as alcohol for the most part, it has different legal rules in the workplace thanks to federal law. The biggest next step that needs to be taken is at the federal level.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-01-15, 01:33 PM   #34
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
What is the sound of one lung vaping?
The student approaches the master and asks, "Master, how am I to comprehend the vastness of this universe and the cycles of karma and reincarnation?"

The master tokes.

In that moment, the student was enlightened.
Old 07-01-15, 02:02 PM   #35
DVD Talk God

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 04:00 PM   #36
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summa...2015&bill=2136

Washington House Bill 2136. Has passed the house and senate and just waiting on the governor's signature, which he will give. Removes WA's 3 tiered tax system (25% at 4 different stages) and replaces it with a single tax of 37.5%, as well as reducing the 1000 foot distance for stores to 100 feet for most things, the exception being schools are still 1000 feet.
37.5% is better than what was originally set by I-502, but it's still ridiculously high when you consider you still have to pay an 8% sales tax. The original bill called for a 30% tax, but being the anti-tax stalwarts that they are, the GOP legislators pushed for a higher rate.

I'm not a fan of sin taxes in general, and I definitely don't think weed should be taxed at a higher rate than alcohol. With that said, my complaints are few, as I certainly prefer paying a high tax rate over lawyer fees to fight a possession arrest that users in the rest of America's 46 states face.
Old 07-01-15, 04:03 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
PM me your mailing address.
Old 07-01-15, 04:07 PM   #38
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
37.5% is better than what was originally set by I-502, but it's still ridiculously high when you consider you still have to pay an 8% sales tax. The original bill called for a 30% tax, but being the anti-tax stalwarts that they are, the GOP legislators pushed for a higher rate.

I'm not a fan of sin taxes in general, and I definitely don't think weed should be taxed at a higher rate than alcohol. With that said, my complaints are few, as I certainly prefer paying a high tax rate over lawyer fees to fight a possession arrest that users in the rest of America's 46 states face.
You're getting screwed. We pay 7% sales tax.

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 04:32 PM   #39
DVD Talk God

Just looked it up and it appears to be just a single 37.5% sales tax. Apparently, they had a problem where the retailers had to pay on the full sale, even though they then had a 25% tax (which effectively meant they paid on $100 of income towards taxes even though they only grossed $75 after WA tax). So now they won't have to pay as much federal income taxes. So I would guess the original 30% tax wasn't pushed up by the GOP, but was a way to simplify the whole mess. At least that is how I read it.

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-01-15, 04:56 PM   #40
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Just looked it up and it appears to be just a single 37.5% sales tax. Apparently, they had a problem where the retailers had to pay on the full sale, even though they then had a 25% tax (which effectively meant they paid on $100 of income towards taxes even though they only grossed $75 after WA tax). So now they won't have to pay as much federal income taxes. So I would guess the original 30% tax wasn't pushed up by the GOP, but was a way to simplify the whole mess. At least that is how I read it.
Interesting, I mistakenly thought sales tax was added onto the 37% tax (it had under the previous three-tier taxation structure). It's still pretty high, but hey, it's Washington state where getting taxes reduced is nearly impossible.

I do like how legislators added a provision that makes so that cities that have enacted bans won't get a piece of the pot pie.
Old 07-01-15, 04:58 PM   #41
DVD Talk God

Me too. My county and town both have a ban (even though there are growers and retailers that got in before the ban), so they will get screwed by this...which pleases me.

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-03-15, 07:59 AM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
PM me your mailing address.
Bandoman shipping rates are prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
Hopefully, next year in Maine...
Old 07-06-15, 12:21 PM   #43
DVD Talk God

Went to Portland on the 4th with a friend who wanted to go to a head shop. Portland has some of the best supposedly. But here is what is really wild....Oregon's law says it is perfectly legal to give weed away. If you aren't getting money, you can just give it away. Bong was purchased and the gal that helped us said, "hey," and handed us both a bud of some kind of weed.

Thought that was odd because I didn't know about the law specifics. Apparently there was a big party on the 3rd where people paid $45 to get in and they got a bunch of SWAG as well as 7grams of high end stuff. Oregon's chapter of NORML said that the growers were more than ready for the stores to open October 1st, and claimed to have enough for every Oregonian of age to have 7 grams on the first day. They apparently also plan of giving a bunch out and did at other events.

For this hayseed, it was pretty fucking eye opening. If Oregon doesn't implode with a law that allows people to just give weed away, openly, what will the people against it have left to scare us with?

Lot more to the story, but I will say I have never had a 4th of July that was even close to as cool as this one.

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-06-15, 01:01 PM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished reading "Weed the People" last night -- pretty solid reporting and writing about the last few years of legal weed in Colorado and Washington. The sections on the historical basis for America's war on marijuana and the governments' recent efforts to hamstring legitimate research into medical marijuana made my blood boil.
Old 07-06-15, 01:36 PM   #45
DVD Talk God

No shit, especially since they have the patent on it. http://www.google.com/patents/US6630507

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-06-15, 03:01 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just had my first kinda bad situation last night ... accidentally overmedicated myself on edibles before going out to the bar with friends. It felt amazing, but was WAY WAY WAY too much to be out in public feeling like that.

I would think that there would be better laws about proper dosing with edibles. Most things I've seen list a THC count, but I don't believe it is always verified, and the effects seem to vary wildly between edibles.
Old 07-06-15, 04:27 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to this study, the dosage for edibles is all over the place.

Even if the dosing is consistent (in Washington doses are set at 10 milligrams of THC per serving in rec stores), the effect they have on people vary wildly, often depending on what you've been eating. Many mmj patients prefer not to use edibles for this very reason.
Old 07-06-15, 05:58 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

I made my own brownies once. I will not be doing that again. The high was way too intense.
Old 07-06-15, 06:42 PM   #49
Time Lord

Edibles are amazing because they can pack in an incredible amount of THC, way more than your average dose in a pipe or a vape. However, there are two problems:

1. There's so much THC that unless you're Snoop Dogg you're going to think you accidentally took mescaline.

2. Because edibles are absorbed slowly through the lining of your gut, the high lasts much, much longer.

So you get a high that's many times more intense than what you're likely used to, and it lasts longer than you're used to. It's a bad combination.

A corollary to #2 is that because edibles takes time to become active, a lot of people take some, don't feel high, then take some more...and suddenly it all kicks in.
Old 07-06-15, 09:37 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Edibles are amazing because they can pack in an incredible amount of THC, way more than your average dose in a pipe or a vape. However, there are two problems:

1. There's so much THC that unless you're Snoop Dogg you're going to think you accidentally took mescaline.

2. Because edibles are absorbed slowly through the lining of your gut, the high lasts much, much longer.

So you get a high that's many times more intense than what you're likely used to, and it lasts longer than you're used to. It's a bad combination.

A corollary to #2 is that because edibles takes time to become active, a lot of people take some, don't feel high, then take some more...and suddenly it all kicks in.
Yes, yes, and a yes to your corollary.